PDA

View Full Version : Blake Griffin- First 100 Games

Spray
2/3/2012, 08:12 AM
Interesting article: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7529141/person-interest-los-angeles-clippers-blake-griffin

Those of you who are coaches or geek out on basketball, what do you think of this analysis? Basketball moves too fast for me to notice alot of the things this writer talks about, but I'd be interested to hear what some of you think.

Ton Loc
2/3/2012, 09:39 AM
He brings up a bunch of good points. I read the article yesterday then watched him play against the Nuggets last night. You immediately see a lot of the points that the article brought up. Blake needs to make quicker decisions in the post and smarter decisions outside of the post. He needs to cut that no look hook shot out of his game. Also, I never noticed but he does argue with the officials a lot. His defense could use a lot of work, but the article didn't make much mention of it.

The good news is it is only his second year and he is already in the top 10 to 20 in the league. If he improves, he'll be in the top 5.

ouleaf
2/3/2012, 10:42 AM
I thought it was pretty good analysis. It's true what he said that a lot of guys are great in high school and college simply because they are always the best athlete on the floor and that can make up for any fundamental flaws they may have. At the NBA that usually isn't the case, so it's the guys who are talented, athletic, and put in the work that become superstars. Blake does all three, so I do believe we are seeing a Hall of Famer in the making.

As of right now though, the numbers he is putting up are impressive considering Blake is still getting by on his athletic ability quite a bit, but as he refines his game over the next 3-4 seasons you'll begin to see more of a complete player. A guy that can legitimately carry a franchise on his back.

badger
2/3/2012, 10:50 AM
I watched part of the game last night (had to see if vBettors would break vBookie again... nope! haha) and here's a few things that stuck out to me:

1- Blake lacks defense. Was he trying to avoid picking up fouls? Do people punch him too much if he guards the paint? Is he trying to conserve energy or is the sped-up NBA schedule starting to wear on him?

2- When Blake has a big dunk, nobody gets back on defense fast enough. The crowd goes nuts, and while they're going nuts, the Clippers are giving up 2-3 on the other end of the court. It's a highlight reel, no doubt, and I'm sure the fans love it... but are his teammates loving it a little bit too much and are they getting distracted by the moment too much to play defense?

3- Blake is awesome at midrange jumpers and surprise drives to the basket. He sets screens so much and looks to pass to the open guy so much that it catches the defense off-guard for him to just put it up a few feet inside the three point line, or to just turn and drive for a dunk.

There is lots of upside, no doubt, but Blake and his teammates need to work on their defense. NP blamed coaching on that. He's probably right.

Soonerjeepman
2/3/2012, 12:02 PM
I agree with the article as well...I know the nba doesn't play D...but was really disappointed when I first caught a Clips game...BG had already bought into the "no D Nba" theory...

Needs to develop a 15-18 ft jump shot and he does hesitate..which can throw everything off.

I'd still pay to see him though! lol..

Ton Loc
2/3/2012, 12:57 PM
NP blamed coaching on that. He's probably right.

He's right. Vinny Del Negro is a terrible coach.

there there
2/6/2012, 12:51 PM
I agree with the article as well...I know the nba doesn't play D...but was really disappointed when I first caught a Clips game...BG had already bought into the "no D Nba" theory...

Needs to develop a 15-18 ft jump shot and he does hesitate..which can throw everything off.

I'd still pay to see him though! lol..
He didn't play much D here either. With his athleticism he could have been a dominant defender in college, but always avoided it to stay out of foul trouble.