PDA

View Full Version : Not that I like either of them...but it's still funny

LASooner
2/2/2012, 04:56 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/stephen-smith-flipped-off-skip-bayless-live-tv-204836258.html

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/iNl4ObPe.LmVEKMYSyCZGQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnflexperts/stephen-a-bird.jpg

Stephen A. Smith lived out an ESPN viewer's fantasy on Thursday when he flipped the bird to everyone's favorite punching bag, Skip Bayless, during a live segment on "First Take."
The vocal personalities were discussing Eli Manning and Tom Brady when the finger wagging occurred. Bayless made the point that there's not as much pressure on Eli in the Super Bowl because he isn't regarded as highly as Brady. Smith, as he's obligated to do, disagreed.
As he was talking, Bayless was shuffling papers in his hands. Sportsgrid.com has the video (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/stephen-smith-flipped-off-skip-bayless-live-tv-204836258.html) of what happened next.
Smith asked, "Skip, why you flickin' the papers in your hand." He then raised the offending finger and kept it up for a little more than a second. Nobody on either set seemed to notice and the segment loudly continued.
Viewers took to Twitter to discuss the incident and the reaction quickly got back to Smith. He insisted it was an accident (http://tmi.me/lptZ4). He wrote:
Will ya'll stop. I don't care what it looked like. I would never flip ANYONE the Bird -- including @RealSkipBayless. Was just talking w/ my hands like that. Folks start nonsense for a reason.
Do I believe Stephen A. Smith, a guy who's been on television thousands of times in his life, intentionally gave Skip Bayless the finger while the cameras were rolling? Not really; though he certainly wouldn't have copped to it if he did.
If he says it was an errant hand motion, then I believe it was an errant hand motion. If he was talking to anyone other than Bayless, I doubt anyone would have noticed anyway.
Thanks, 30fps (http://30fps.mocksession.com/2012/02/02/thank-you-espn-for-not-censoring-the-first-take-replay-and-enabling-me-to-get-a-proper-sas-flipping-off-bayless-screencap/)

PalmettoSooner
2/2/2012, 05:00 PM
Apparently Bayless is pissing more and more people off these days. What an a$$

8timechamps
2/2/2012, 05:01 PM
I can tolerate Skip (not to be confused with "like" or "enjoy"), but I cannot stand Stephen "A" Smith. However, First and Ten has been far more entertaining since he became a regular.

I always have it on in my office, but rarely ever "watch" it. Interesting.

Edit: Also, after watching the video, I don't think he did it to flip Skip off, but he had the right hand position and everything.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/2/2012, 05:14 PM
Doing what they are paid to do..Watching ESPN is like watching WWE..characters promoted to be faces or heels

badger
2/2/2012, 05:42 PM
Will ya’ll stop. I don’t care what it looked like. I would never flip ANYONE the Bird — including @RealSkipBayless. Was just talking w/ my hands like that. Folks start nonsense for a reason.

I call BS. Only old people use middle fingers to point and that's because they didn't grow up in a time where it was made clear that it was a naughty thing to do... kind of like age-old church hymns having the word "@ss" in them.

ESPN needs to use this golden opportunity to take the loudmouth off the air, much like they used Craig James' campaign as a golden opportunity to evict him. Stephen A. Smith adds nothing to ESPN broadcasts, other than a reason to change the channel.

the_ouskull
2/2/2012, 06:53 PM
Stephen A. Smith adds nothing to ESPN broadcasts, other than a reason to change the channel.

He used to have excellent NBA insider knowledge. Then Iverson went to Denver. He's never been good, but at least he had "good stuff." Now, there's not even that. When your "shtick" is being "Black Traber," (failing - often - to make a decent point, you resort to making your sh*tty point progressively more loudly) then you're not doing too well.

I'm a big enough NBA fan that I have 4 team blogs (Rockets, Thunder, Minne, LAC) 3 general blogs (True Hoop, Ball Don't Lie, NBA Playbook) countless stat sites (82 Games, Basketball Reference, Basketball Value, Hoop Data, NBA Stuffer, et al..) and the ESPN Trade Machine all bookmarked. (All sites are from memory, so if I forgot any, well, that's why I bookmarked them, jerks...)

If S.A.S. is involved in any way, I turn off the TV. I'd rather go without it than to have it with his participation.

EatLeadCommie
2/2/2012, 06:59 PM
I dislike both of those blowhards. I dislike pretty much all of ESPN come to think of it, except for the 30 For 30 films

oudavid1
2/2/2012, 07:07 PM
Stephen A and Skip are A+ TV and I love it.

Mazeppa
2/2/2012, 09:15 PM
The old guy looks like a wino i seen under a bridge near downtown tulsa the other day.

8timechamps
2/2/2012, 09:25 PM
He used to have excellent NBA insider knowledge. Then Iverson went to Denver. He's never been good, but at least he had "good stuff." Now, there's not even that. When your "shtick" is being "Black Traber," (failing - often - to make a decent point, you resort to making your sh*tty point progressively more loudly) then you're not doing too well.

I'm a big enough NBA fan that I have 4 team blogs (Rockets, Thunder, Minne, LAC) 3 general blogs (True Hoop, Ball Don't Lie, NBA Playbook) countless stat sites (82 Games, Basketball Reference, Basketball Value, Hoop Data, NBA Stuffer, et al..) and the ESPN Trade Machine all bookmarked. (All sites are from memory, so if I forgot any, well, that's why I bookmarked them, jerks...)

If S.A.S. is involved in any way, I turn off the TV. I'd rather go without it than to have it with his participation.

At one time, S.A.S. was considered one of the few "inside" guys when it came to the NBA. He tried out his own show (which I'm sure you remember), and it didn't work out (not sure why it was pulled, ratings I guess). But, you're right, he lost his appeal (maybe his sources too) when the Iverson thing was going on. Now, he just talks to hear himself.

However, ESPN finally found a place he works...with Skip.

yermom
2/3/2012, 01:13 AM

this explains so much

Seamus
2/3/2012, 01:42 AM

Couldn't see that one coming ...

http://janeheller.com/confessionsblog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/rodney-dangerfield.jpg

oudavid1
2/3/2012, 09:08 AM
I hardly ever agree with them but yes, it is enjoyable TV and the ratings I think would agree with me. Skips job is not to be liked, it is to entertain.

jk the sooner fan
2/3/2012, 09:09 AM
bayless hasnt been liked for MANY MANY years - going back to when he wrote for the Dallas paper..i think he's made a career out of writing/saying controversial things simply for the sport of it

it seems however, that many sports writers/talking heads have adopted this style

oudavid1
2/3/2012, 09:17 AM
bayless hasnt been liked for MANY MANY years - going back to when he wrote for the Dallas paper..i think he's made a career out of writing/saying controversial things simply for the sport of it

it seems however, that many sports writers/talking heads have adopted this style

Any publicity is good publicity.

stoopified
2/3/2012, 07:16 PM
DDP

stoopified
2/3/2012, 07:23 PM
Why does everyone think flipping off Sip is a big Deal? Hell,I do it every time I stumble across him.