PDA

View Full Version : Ambien to the rescue!

8timechamps
2/2/2012, 04:49 PM
I've had enough of the insomnia...I'm hitting the Ambien tonight!

That is all.

Petro-Sooner
2/2/2012, 05:11 PM
I have that. It's the worst!!!

Viking Kitten
2/2/2012, 06:13 PM
The Ambien or the insomnia? I'm confused.

oudavid1
2/2/2012, 07:14 PM
I use generic sleeping pills since I am in college and have to say they do the trick.

8timechamps
2/2/2012, 09:39 PM

I'd have to guess the insomnia, because Ambien is nectar from the sleepy Gods!

Petro-Sooner
2/2/2012, 11:57 PM

The got dang insomnia. Up all hours of the night and just laying there is dumb. Gave up the sleeping pills long ago. Prolly should have it looked into but never have.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/3/2012, 02:13 AM
Dude, don't sleep and drive...:eek:

OULenexaman
2/3/2012, 08:25 AM
I'd have to guess the insomnia, because Ambien is nectar from the sleepy Gods! That stuff would knock out an elephant.

8timechamps
2/3/2012, 08:39 PM
The got dang insomnia. Up all hours of the night and just laying there is dumb. Gave up the sleeping pills long ago. Prolly should have it looked into but never have.

I've had bouts with insomnia most of my adult life. It's horrible. Once in a while, I have to hit the Ambien just to get a full night of sleep. When I was first prescribed Ambien, I was told the half life was very short, and wouldn't have any hangover the next day. Impossible. I always feel groggy the next morning, but I've learned to manage it in order to sleep once in a while.

8timechamps
2/3/2012, 08:41 PM
That stuff would knock out an elephant.

I'm not a small man, so the first time I used it, I thought "this little tiny pill is really going to knock me out, right!"....then, BAM...out! I literally have to take it after I've brushed my teeth and physically gotten into bed, otherwise I don't think I'd make it to the bedroom.

CowboyMRW
2/3/2012, 09:10 PM
That stuff is crazy. One of my best friends had to take it and he was on the football team, no small dude. It did some crazy things to him sometimes. I wanted to try it, but I was too scared of what it would do to me

8timechamps
2/3/2012, 09:22 PM
That stuff is crazy. One of my best friends had to take it and he was on the football team, no small dude. It did some crazy things to him sometimes. I wanted to try it, but I was too scared of what it would do to me

It's nothing to mess round with. You have to follow the directions (not like when you take a prescription that says do not drink alcohol with this medication, and you may have a beer or glass of wine, or a prescription that says "this may cause drowsiness"). The first time I took it, I made a pizza, ate a few slices and half a box of Oreo's, went to sleep on the couch and woke up the next morning without a single memory of any of it.

I also have had sex and not remembered it. I'm not talking like when you're drunk and have a blurry memory of events, I'm talking like someone telling you that you did something (or finding evidence that you did something), and you search your brain and can't remember a trace of it. Kinda scary. So, I adopted the rule pretty quick that if I'm going to take it, I'm going to be in bed and ready to go to sleep, and nothing else.

cleller
2/3/2012, 10:00 PM
Have you tried exercise? Seriously. Hard to sleep when you don't get enough. Some weight lifting or just basic push ups, etc will help.

Valerian or melatonin in small doses are pretty good, too. Cheap and not too habit forming.

StoopTroup
2/4/2012, 12:47 AM
Masturbating your Valerian Root will really do the trick.

AlboSooner
2/4/2012, 09:21 AM
It's nothing to mess round with. You have to follow the directions (not like when you take a prescription that says do not drink alcohol with this medication, and you may have a beer or glass of wine, or a prescription that says "this may cause drowsiness"). The first time I took it, I made a pizza, ate a few slices and half a box of Oreo's, went to sleep on the couch and woke up the next morning without a single memory of any of it.

I also have had sex and not remembered it. I'm not talking like when you're drunk and have a blurry memory of events, I'm talking like someone telling you that you did something (or finding evidence that you did something), and you search your brain and can't remember a trace of it. Kinda scary. So, I adopted the rule pretty quick that if I'm going to take it, I'm going to be in bed and ready to go to sleep, and nothing else.

I remember a sex abuse case here in Oklahoma, where Ambien was the drug faulted for causing the guy to sexually molest one of his family members. I think he won in court.

8timechamps
2/4/2012, 11:00 PM
I remember a sex abuse case here in Oklahoma, where Ambien was the drug faulted for causing the guy to sexually molest one of his family members. I think he won in court.

I really don't think I would do something completely out of character while under the influence, so I would think if you were a dirtbag without Ambien, you'd just be a dirtbag that couldn't recall your dirtbag actions on Ambien.

8timechamps
2/4/2012, 11:03 PM
Have you tried exercise? Seriously. Hard to sleep when you don't get enough. Some weight lifting or just basic push ups, etc will help.

Valerian or melatonin in small doses are pretty good, too. Cheap and not too habit forming.

My insomnia started when I was in college, I'm 40 now. For 22 years, I've lived with it. I've tried everything from herbal supplements to acupuncture. So far, Ambien is the only "sure thing".

Of course, I embrace prescription drugs, so I don't have a problem taking them. I know some people (including some in my family) try to stay away from any/all prescribed medications. Me? If I have a problem, and they make a pill for it, sign me up.

AlboSooner
2/4/2012, 11:49 PM
I really don't think I would do something completely out of character while under the influence, so I would think if you were a dirtbag without Ambien, you'd just be a dirtbag that couldn't recall your dirtbag actions on Ambien.

I tend to agree with this line of though, and when dealing with drugs, especially new ones there's always the risk of something going really bad.
I think the FDA made the people who make Ambien place a warning on the label about the possibility of strange behavior while taking the drug.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/5/2012, 01:48 AM
Hence my don't sleep and drivecomment. This stuffknocks you out, but it also messes with the body's neural turn off switch to keep people "paralyzed" while sleeping.

rekamrettuB
2/5/2012, 09:57 AM
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Ambien:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the hands, legs, mouth, face, lips, eyes, throat, or tongue; throat closing; unusual hoarseness); abnormal thinking; behavior changes; chest pain; confusion; decreased coordination; difficulty swallowing or breathing; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; memory problems (eg, memory loss); mental or mood changes (eg, aggression, agitation, anxiety); new or worsening depression; severe dizziness; shortness of breath; suicidal thoughts or actions; vision changes.

Don't take the side effects lightly. Had a buddy who off'd himself and his fiance said he took Ambien and may have taken 2 pills the night he shot himself. Weird thing was he did it with his left hand yet was right handed.

diverdog
2/5/2012, 10:14 AM
I got rid of my Ambien because it worked the night I took it and then next night I could not sleep because of the rebound affect. In the end I was more tired from taking Ambien than being a wake at night.

Taxman71
2/6/2012, 09:44 AM
I had insomnia really bad in college. An instructor asked if I did homework or read in bed. Stopped doing any kind of reading, studying or the like in bed and have had no trouble ever since (despite drinking coffee all day and into the evenings). I've heard this is more common nowadays with folks who had their iPad, iPhone, laptop at their bedside.

8timechamps
2/6/2012, 03:26 PM
I had insomnia really bad in college. An instructor asked if I did homework or read in bed. Stopped doing any kind of reading, studying or the like in bed and have had no trouble ever since (despite drinking coffee all day and into the evenings). I've heard this is more common nowadays with folks who had their iPad, iPhone, laptop at their bedside.

My doctor always says "you're bed is only for sleeping and sex". Part of my problem was working on my laptop in bed, then I couldn't shut off my mind and sleep. I also have a no-caffeine rule after 6pm. The hardest thing for me to break is having a TV in the bedroom. When my gf stays at my house, she wants to fall asleep with the TV on (for background noise). I just end up watching it and not sleeping.

I suppose in a perfect world, my bedroom would be the ultimate relaxation paradise. Until that happens, I've at least learned not to make it my second office.

8timechamps
2/6/2012, 03:28 PM
Don't take the side effects lightly. Had a buddy who off'd himself and his fiance said he took Ambien and may have taken 2 pills the night he shot himself. Weird thing was he did it with his left hand yet was right handed.

I've heard stories of this kind of stuff. Crazy.

When I take Ambien (which is maybe 3 or 4 times a year), I take 5mg and break it in half (so really 2.5 mg). I think the strongest quantity is 10mg, and I can't imagine what that would do. If 2.5 mg knocks me out, 10 mg would put me in a coma.

jumperstop
2/6/2012, 05:12 PM
My doctor always says "you're bed is only for sleeping and sex". Part of my problem was working on my laptop in bed, then I couldn't shut off my mind and sleep. I also have a no-caffeine rule after 6pm. The hardest thing for me to break is having a TV in the bedroom. When my gf stays at my house, she wants to fall asleep with the TV on (for background noise). I just end up watching it and not sleeping.

I suppose in a perfect world, my bedroom would be the ultimate relaxation paradise. Until that happens, I've at least learned not to make it my second office.

This was the problem when I started living with my gf. Now I just wait for her to go to bed then I turn off the tv so I can fall asleep.

As far as the Ambien, my buddy was taking it to help himself sleep. But my other friend, his roomate at the time said he came out in the middle of the night because there was noise in the kitchen and my friend on Ambien was making himself a sandwhich in his sleep....only problem was that it was a toothpaste sandwhich...He just let him continue and told him in the morning. Although hilarious, if you can make a toothpaste sandwhich in your sleep and not remember, you can do pretty much anything.

8timechamps
2/6/2012, 06:11 PM
This was the problem when I started living with my gf. Now I just wait for her to go to bed then I turn off the tv so I can fall asleep.

As far as the Ambien, my buddy was taking it to help himself sleep. But my other friend, his roomate at the time said he came out in the middle of the night because there was noise in the kitchen and my friend on Ambien was making himself a sandwhich in his sleep....only problem was that it was a toothpaste sandwhich...He just let him continue and told him in the morning. Although hilarious, if you can make a toothpaste sandwhich in your sleep and not remember, you can do pretty much anything.

I've never made a toothpaste sandwich, but I suppose I wouldn't remember it if I had. You almost need someone with you to make sure you just go to sleep.

C&CDean
2/6/2012, 07:01 PM
If I have trouble going to sleepytown I take a couple Benadryls.

Works for me, works for my dogs, and works on the kids and grandkids when I want them knocked the **** out.

8timechamps
2/6/2012, 10:33 PM
If I have trouble going to sleepytown I take a couple Benadryls.

Works for me, works for my dogs, and works on the kids and grandkids when I want them knocked the **** out.

I definitely done the Benadryl thing, but I feel so drowsy the next morning, I just want to go back to bed.

I have used the Benadryl treatment on the kids too.

soonerbrat
2/7/2012, 08:54 AM
I've had enough of the insomnia...I'm hitting the Ambien tonight!

That is all.

For Goodness' sake, please go straight to bed after you take it. don't start sending goofy text messages. that happens. or so I've heard.

8timechamps
2/7/2012, 09:10 PM
For Goodness' sake, please go straight to bed after you take it. don't start sending goofy text messages. that happens. or so I've heard.

Are you my ex-girlfriend?