PDA

View Full Version : Interesting read on the recruiting of Dorial-Green-Beckham...

70sooner
2/2/2012, 07:56 AM
it's long, so I won't copy it, but sure is interesting....

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Dorial-Green-Beckham-inside-the-chase-for-nations-top-recruit-020112

badger
2/2/2012, 08:21 AM
Boo for sitting fans :mad:

A month after the Arkansas-Alabama game, Dorial and his family drove to Oklahoma to watch the then-No. 11 Sooners play a struggling Colorado team. But 30 miles outside Norman, the Beckhams’ car started having oil-pressure problems.

“It was one of those weird things,” John Beckham said. “Sometimes luck plays a little bit into this.”

The Beckhams made it to the game just in time for kickoff, so they were not able to spend time with the Oklahoma coaching staff beforehand as planned. The game’s atmosphere was starkly different from what Dorial had experienced at Arkansas-Alabama.

Fans were sitting down during much of Oklahoma’s blowout victory.

scout.com top 25 recruited teams
TEAM PLAY
Which schools picked up the best recruits? Scout.com ranks them.

“It was nothing compared to what Dorial had just experienced a few weeks prior atmosphere-wise,” John Beckham said. “It was just the luck of how the schedule played out.”

The next morning, the Beckhams met with the Sooners coaches, who seemed to think Dorial had made his visit to commit to Oklahoma, Tracy Beckham said.

But that was not the plan, and when the Beckhams headed for their car, Oklahoma co-offensive coordinator Jay Norvell anxiously walked them all the way out, Tracy Beckham said.

SoonernMilw
2/2/2012, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the post, it doesn't look like we had a chance.

delhalew
2/2/2012, 08:39 AM
He came to visit for the Colorado game? Our fans can be lame, but why not come to a good game?

Jason Alexander
2/2/2012, 09:10 AM
If our fans not constantly yelling and screaming means we're not like most people from the south, then I'm okay with it.

Sooner98
2/2/2012, 09:55 AM
So, the gameday atmosphere at Missouri is better than it is here? Mkay.

winout
2/2/2012, 10:29 AM
It will be hard to match the atmosphere of an SEC game. The culture is just different. I have a few relatives in AL and have been to a couple of games there and it is just a way-of-life for them to support their teams. That being said there is nothing to say that we can't get better.

LVSOONER15
2/2/2012, 10:35 AM
Pretty interesting. Those sec crowds do bring alot of noise for the whole game.

badger
2/2/2012, 10:37 AM
Pretty interesting. Those sec crowds do bring alot of noise for the whole game.

Especially when they need to recover an onside kick to beat a WAC team at home. That really makes them stop exiting the stadium and stay and make noise as they watch from the exit ramps!

Curly Bill
2/2/2012, 10:38 AM
If I was the supposed #1 player in the country I know I'd be overly concerned about what the fans did. NOT!

I'd be mostly concerned with where I could best make my dreams of competing for a NC, and then going to NFL to get rich come true. But then I'm not a stupid 18 year old kid.

LVSOONER15
2/2/2012, 10:46 AM
If I was the supposed #1 player in the country I know I'd be overly concerned about what the fans did. NOT!

I'd be mostly concerned with where I could best make my dreams of competing for a NC, and then going to NFL to get rich come true. But then I'm not a stupid 18 year old kid.

You are right on ther Curly. I guess some of these kids seem to factor in other things to help make a decision.

Curly Bill
2/2/2012, 10:48 AM
You are right on ther Curly. I guess some of these kids seem to factor in other things to help make a decision.

...and it's fine to factor in other things, and it should be done, but if what's happening in the stands is a major concern for you, I'd submit your concerns are not where they should be.

goingoneight
2/2/2012, 10:51 AM
He's got to be a closet Missouri fan. I mean, as stated above, Mizzou has a better gameday atmosphere than Norman? Heh... suuuuure!
Arkansas or Mizzou, neither of which has played for an NC in ages has a better chance at getting there more than the team who went four times in 9 years AND won one?
As far as development goes... push. All three put out good WRs and QBs.
Facilities? Better at Mizzou or Arky? Heh... Really?
Good luck to the guy... but it seems like he was enjoying a bunch of recruiting trips, free food and fireworks displays of affection from basketball fans. Dragged everyone not named Mizzou along the whole time.
I'm still more impressed with Durron Neal's film, but whatever. They're just potential right now.

Curly Bill
2/2/2012, 11:11 AM
He's got to be a closet Missouri fan. I mean, as stated above, Mizzou has a better gameday atmosphere than Norman? Heh... suuuuure!
Arkansas or Mizzou, neither of which has played for an NC in ages has a better chance at getting there more than the team who went four times in 9 years AND won one?
As far as development goes... push. All three put out good WRs and QBs.
Facilities? Better at Mizzou or Arky? Heh... Really?
Good luck to the guy... but it seems like he was enjoying a bunch of recruiting trips, free food and fireworks displays of affection from basketball fans. Dragged everyone not named Mizzou along the whole time.
I'm still more impressed with Durron Neal's film, but whatever. They're just potential right now.

I'd tend to agree. If he's always been a Mizzu fan and that's why he went there that's more than cool with me, just don't make crap up that doesn't even make sense - makes ya look foolish.

badger
2/2/2012, 11:13 AM
I was enlightened watching the KU game last night. The announcers were lamenting that KU wasn't doing enough to get the crowd into the game, and I was sitting there flabbergasted, like "YOU ARE IN THE TOP TEN, YOU UNAPPRECIATIVE JAYHAWK BASTARDS! AND YOUR TEAM IS UP BY DOUBLE DIGITS! IF YOU CANNOT FIND A REASON TO CHEER THEN CAN WE TRADE TEAMS OR AT LEAST RANKINGS/RECORDS?!?!??!?"

The enlightenment was that I realize that we were the exact same way in football and that their fans probably thought the same thing about our fans when we sit on our hands as our team leads by 50. Ho hum, we showed up and we'll cheer when there's a touchdown, but we're not cheering for just any old first down, those happen all of the time. Oh, our defense caused an incompleted pass? Yawn. Just a field goal? Zzzz.

We are unappreciative bastard fans that have grown accustomed to blowout victories. :(

Jason Alexander
2/2/2012, 11:16 AM
Talk about your first world problems.

badger
2/2/2012, 11:26 AM
Talk about your first world problems.

I know, right? Although I imagine that second and third world countries are unappreciative bastards in their own right... second world for having electricity work most days, third world for drinking water that doesn't make them sick every time.

oumartin
2/2/2012, 11:32 AM
blah, I aint worried about that kid and what he says. Just find us a few more Mark Claytons and Ryan Broyles and I'll tickled pink.

swardboy
2/2/2012, 11:49 AM
OH, this explains why we've never gotten a good recruit and are perennially in the bottom tier of the NCAA ......

Puhlease.

Enjoy watching OU tear the post-season up while you're getting a burger at the Columbia DQ Dorian.

Mississippi Sooner
2/2/2012, 11:50 AM
I was enlightened watching the KU game last night. The announcers were lamenting that KU wasn't doing enough to get the crowd into the game, and I was sitting there flabbergasted, like "YOU ARE IN THE TOP TEN, YOU UNAPPRECIATIVE JAYHAWK BASTARDS! AND YOUR TEAM IS UP BY DOUBLE DIGITS! IF YOU CANNOT FIND A REASON TO CHEER THEN CAN WE TRADE TEAMS OR AT LEAST RANKINGS/RECORDS?!?!??!?"

The enlightenment was that I realize that we were the exact same way in football and that their fans probably thought the same thing about our fans when we sit on our hands as our team leads by 50. Ho hum, we showed up and we'll cheer when there's a touchdown, but we're not cheering for just any old first down, those happen all of the time. Oh, our defense caused an incompleted pass? Yawn. Just a field goal? Zzzz.

We are unappreciative bastard fans that have grown accustomed to blowout victories. :(

But what really, really drives opposing fans crazy is that the Pride plays that short version of Boomer Sooner after all those first downs. When I hear that particular gripe I just say, hey, your team can make it stop. All they have to do is keep us from getting all those first downs.

badger
2/2/2012, 12:03 PM
But what really, really drives opposing fans crazy is that the Pride plays that short version of Boomer Sooner after all those first downs. When I hear that particular gripe I just say, hey, your team can make it stop. All they have to do is keep us from getting all those first downs.

I guess it's better than when they used to play Boomer Sooner as our team lined up to punt or gave up a first down on defense :mad:

I attribute that to the drum major sometimes being more interested in conducting a musical piece than participating in a football game.

XingTheRubicon
2/2/2012, 01:07 PM
Our fans do suck, though. No offense, I love OU and Sooner fans, but we do indeed, suck at being loud.

Curly Bill
2/2/2012, 01:10 PM
Our fans do suck, though. No offense, I love OU and Sooner fans, but we do indeed, suck at being loud.

..and the peeps on here that use going to the game as a badge of how good of fans they are?! Pfffft!!!

badger
2/2/2012, 01:45 PM

Bob Stoops coached us up before the Tech game a few years ago. I think we need some more "coaching" before the games this year :D

Mississippi Sooner
2/2/2012, 01:49 PM
..and the peeps on here that use going to the game as a badge of how good of fans they are?! Pfffft!!!

Everybody knows you're not a good, true fan unless you actually graduated from the school.

Seamus
2/2/2012, 01:57 PM
Maybe aggie got something right after all:

Yell practice.

:D

TulsaSooners
2/2/2012, 01:57 PM
If Mizzou doesn't get in the SEC there is no way this kid would go there. Now this kid gets to stay in his home state and play in that those SEC stadiums and atmospheres that he was impressed by. 99.9% that this kid is at Arky if Mizzou were still in the Bevo9.

oudavid1
2/2/2012, 02:39 PM
If he didnt want us, he didnt want us. Go to Mizzou where if the fans show up for TCU game, they wont be standing.

LRoss
2/2/2012, 04:36 PM
Obviously I'm an OU fan and think everybody should choose OU.

But it's not like this is the first time anybody's ever decided to go somewhere else. Why is it so shocking to people? Is this the first time anybody's ever chosen Missouri over OU?

As far as "he was always a Missouri fan just stringing everybody else along" -- 1) If that's true, it sure wasn't in the article. 2) Even if it's so, so what? If Stoops calls him and he'd said "I think I'm going to Missouri, but I'll take your visit just for fun if you'll have me!" and Bob tells the number 1 recruit in the country "Nevermind then." I would think (hope?) everybody would be upset. Get him on campus! Meet with him and his family! The kid has crazy potential, take whatever chance you have to try to help him see thing OUr way! So they did, and in the end he choose otherwise. Fair enough, we made our best play for him.

SoonerAtKU
2/2/2012, 04:47 PM
Plus, Missouri pulled out ALL the stops to get the guy. They chanted his name at the game he was attending, helicopters, moonlight carriage rides...

You get my point.

Hookers.

freshchris05
2/2/2012, 05:43 PM
I guess it's better than when they used to play Boomer Sooner as our team lined up to punt or gave up a first down on defense :mad:

I attribute that to the drum major sometimes being more interested in conducting a musical piece than participating in a football game.

Used to?

[Mitch Hedberg] "I used to do drugs. I still do but I used to too" [Mitch Hedberg]

badger
2/2/2012, 05:45 PM
I have no idea what they do now, because I only catch a few games in person each year. I could definitely tell a few years ago when I was grumbling underneath my breath at what I was being instructed to do :P

LASooner
2/2/2012, 06:09 PM
Oklahoma/Colorado is not as exciting as a top 10 matchup between Arkansas/Alabama? Knock me over with a feather. :boxing:

thecrimsoncrusader
2/2/2012, 06:30 PM
Arkansas fans aren't used to winning. Oklahoma signed the best receiving corps in the nation, so it's hard to be bent out of shape about Dorial "pick a dang last name" Beckham. The only thing that upsets me is hyphenated names. I HATE HYPHENATED LAST NAMES!!!!!!!!!!!! No really, I seriously do.

tulsaoilerfan
2/2/2012, 09:25 PM
So Mizzou offered his younger brother a scholarship, he went to a club that you are supposed to be 21 and up to get into, and he tried to order long island teas 2 different times at a dinner? Wonder how he will feel when Mizzou doesn't honor the scholly offer for his brother? Honestly we are better off without him

TheHumanAlphabet
2/3/2012, 02:00 AM
So, the gameday atmosphere at Missouri is better than it is here? Mkay.

I guess he likes sh!t thrown at him and dodging ice, bottles and batteries...Mizzou will fit right in with the sec, sec, sec!

Sabanball
2/3/2012, 02:08 AM
IF that was a determining factor then you guys never had a chance--102,000 screaming Bama fans will out-yell 82,000 OU fans 10 times to sunday.

swardboy
2/3/2012, 06:55 AM
Then apparently 65,000 Mizzou fans out-shout 102,000 looney bammers.

badger
2/3/2012, 11:47 AM
IF that was a determining factor then you guys never had a chance--102,000 screaming Bama fans will out-yell 82,000 OU fans 10 times to sunday.

You are going to have fun arguing with the stupid aggies on that one... they have a mindset that... nevermind, I'm not going to go into. Let's just say that they think (or rather, BELIEVE) certain things they do make numbers meaningless and give them superiority. If you really want to be forewarned, I could probably tell more. :rcmad:

starclassic tama
2/3/2012, 01:17 PM
Then apparently 65,000 Mizzou fans out-shout 102,000 looney bammers.more like 45,000

badger
2/3/2012, 01:48 PM
If it matters, Mizzou ranked 25th in the country in football attendance, with around 65k.

As can be expected, the teams with the largest stadium capacities ranked highest.

Link (http://www.holyturf.com/2011/12/2011-college-football-attendance/)

It would be more interesting to see percentage of stadium capacity by team. Of course Meatchicken is gonna average 110k+ per game with their 110k+ stadium capacity.

47straight
2/3/2012, 05:03 PM
Whorn fans around here are whooping it up about the article, saying how it shows OU to be arrogant.

They don't own mirrors.

badger
2/3/2012, 05:17 PM
Whorn fans around here are whooping it up about the article, saying how it shows OU to be arrogant.

They don't own mirrors.

Remember back when Texas used to brag about their 10+ wins per season streak?

Let em whoop. It's their way of drowning out the TV when it's showing tons of Sooner coverage on Fox Sports in Texas but ABSOLUTELY NO LONGHORN NETWORK. :mack:

stoopified
2/3/2012, 07:30 PM
We wqould win with him and we will win without him,life goes on.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/3/2012, 09:30 PM
Disappointing because this time last year DGB was definitely leaning toward OU but if aren't competing for championships the next several years it won't be because we don't have enough talent at WR.

boomermagic
2/3/2012, 09:38 PM
Not a bad read thanks.

birddog
2/3/2012, 09:54 PM
yeah. mizzou will win ALOT in the sec.:nevreness:

StoopTroup
2/3/2012, 11:08 PM
When I see Mizzou scoring 4-6 TDs from this kid in the SEC...I'll believe that he's this great player he and Rivals says he is. Until then...Mizzou just has a kid coming into their program expecting to start and expecting to light the World on fire.

I can't believe we have more than one thread about this jerk off.

Also...I can't believe anyone would bash our fan base that sells out every game and has had a waiting list for Season Tickets for a decade. It's laughable and shows just how disconnected anyone who would listen to some folks who were guests view about one game that was a blowout. OU Fans were silently laughing about totally owning CU on their way out of the Big XII and then did it again to NU in the Big XII CG in Dallas.

We also got to do it to Mizzou last year as well as TAMU. Every Team that left the Big XII got owned by OU on their way out.

Screw NU, CU, MU, TAMU and DGB and his Family who couldn't get him to Norman on time to talk to one of the Best Head Coaches in America. They obviously didn't take the visit seriously and like I said in the recruiting thread about this kid....They had made up their mind about where he was going to go and were just using the hype of his Rivals Title to have some fun.

Salt City Sooner
2/4/2012, 02:02 AM
yeah. mizzou will win ALOT in the sec.:nevreness:
It's not the biggest sample size, but FWIW, Mizzou's won their last 4 against SEC teams (4-1 overall under Pinkel). I don't think Bama's going to be shaking in their boots anytime soon, but I also think MU will do a bit better than what most are predicting. Nobody in that conference does what Mizzou does on offense, & their opponents are not going to be getting a month off to prepare for it, ala bowl games.

badger
2/4/2012, 11:56 AM
Fact: If Mizzou couldn't win in the SEC, they won't win in the Big 12.

Is it a matter of talent? Brad Smith, Blaine Gabbert, Sean Weatherspoon, and Jeremy Maclin weren't good enough?! All NFL talent, all couldn't win the Big 12 conference.

They can't all be like "nyah nyah the big 12 sucks the sec rules" and then try and turn around and say that they will suddenly win in a conference that rules when they couldn't win in a conference that sucks.

DGB or not, they are still Mizzou. And Mizzou does not win football conference titles.*

* Unless the year is 1969 or earlier