PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Rules: 1940 - Richmond Golf Club, Sudbrook Park, England

TitoMorelli
2/2/2012, 12:09 AM
Sorry if this has been posted before:

http://chicagoboyz.net/wp-content/uploads/f7aa3b0000777a616569c36f19a46f581-500x486.jpg

__

Sooner Mommy
2/2/2012, 10:19 AM
I am OK with all of these rules, except #3. That one would give me second thoughts about playing at all. Also, if I'm playing somewhere where a "simultaneous explosion of a bomb" might affect my stroke, I'm going to take exception to a penalty. Just sayin'.

hawaii 5-0
2/2/2012, 10:46 AM
Some wicked sand traps being created.

5-0

Boomer.....
2/2/2012, 10:58 AM
You should not have to take a penalty stroke for #7.

Mississippi Sooner
2/2/2012, 11:04 AM
From the Richmond Golf Club's website:

One evening in the autumn of 1940 bombs fell on the course and Temporary Rules were introduced to allow for the consequences. Dr Goebbels, Hitler’s Minister of Propaganda, used the Club’s Temporary Rules as the theme of a broadcast by William (Lord Haw-Haw) Joyce: “By means of these ridiculous reforms the English snobs try to impress the people with a kind of pretended heroism. They can do so without danger, because, as everyone knows, the German Air Force devotes itself only to the destruction of military targets and objectives of importance to the war effort.” Evidently the Club’s laundry outbuilding was a military target. The Rules inspired much humour in newspapers and magazines around the world and continue to be re-published in the 21st century.

BigTip
2/2/2012, 04:25 PM
You should not have to take a penalty stroke for #7.

Next you'll be wanting drops out of fairway divots! Geez!

lol

8timechamps
2/2/2012, 04:55 PM
"A ball moved by enemy action may be replaced..."

So, lets say I just teed off, and I'm heading up the fairway for my next shot, but a Nazi tank crosses in front of me and my ball gets stuck in the tracks and is removed, I can replace it without penalty? Just want to make sure I'm following the rules.

TUSooner
2/3/2012, 09:06 AM
Gotta love that. The nerve, guts, & humor (humour?) of the Brits back then has become almost a tired cliche, or worse, forgotten. But they had some serious nerve and guts to keep their chins up while the bombs were falling night after day and their cities were burning. "Finest hour" indeed. God bless 'em.