PDA

View Full Version : Indiana becomes a right to work state.

SoonerInTN
2/1/2012, 09:37 PM
nm

SicEmBaylor
2/1/2012, 09:51 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/indiana-poised-approve-anti-union-law-140910525.html

Could have sworn Oklahoma became a right to work state way more than a decade ago.

I think a decade is about right. 99-01ish is when I thought it passed.

SicEmBaylor
2/1/2012, 09:52 PM
Yep, I was right. September of '01 is when it went into effect.
http://www.nrtw.org/c/okrtwlaw.htm

badger
2/1/2012, 10:44 PM
Remember that oklahoma was under dem control for decades until recently

SoonerPride
2/1/2012, 10:46 PM
Remember that oklahoma was under dem control for decades until recently

What I affectionately refer to as "the good old days."

LiveLaughLove
2/1/2012, 11:03 PM
What I affectionately refer to as "the good old days."

Were those the David Walters days? Or the David Hall days? Just curious. :0

badger
2/1/2012, 11:11 PM
Were those the David Walters days?

yeah.. hopefully that serves as a lesson to republicans in power now --- voters get turned off by corruption. don't eff it up for your party or the state will quickly change colors

SoonerPride
2/1/2012, 11:15 PM
Were those the David Walters days? Or the David Hall days? Just curious. :0

In my case they were the "future President of OU" David Boren days.

jkjsooner
2/3/2012, 02:23 PM
yeah.. hopefully that serves as a lesson to republicans in power now --- voters get turned off by corruption. don't eff it up for your party or the state will quickly change colors

I don't know all the details but the whole Walters thing sure seemed like a hatchet job to me.

I've mentioned it before but I need to repeat it. Years after Walters pleaded guilty he made some speeches where he stated that the plea was just to get the situation behind him and that he had not done what they said he did. The a-hole DA then threaten to charge him with perjury for lying when he made the plea deal and forced Walter back to court to admit one more time under oath that he committed the crime. (Whether or not the original charges were politically motivated, this part was nothing more than a political hatchet job motivated by a personal rivalry.)

I'm no attorney but common sense would tell me that a plea is not or should not be subject to perjury charges. If they were then we might as well charge everyone who plead not guilty with perjury if they were found guilty.

Also, attorneys will persuade someone who may be innocent to plead guilty if they think for whatever reason they will not be found innocent. If a plea is subject to perjury charges then those attorneys are persuading their clients to commit perjury.

And, of course, there is the hypocritical stance that the DA was taking - actively prosecuting someone for breaking campign finance laws and then turning around and threatening to prosecute them for perjury for the guilty plea. Take your pick. Did you think he did it or not? You can't have it both ways.

I think time showed just how corrupt Bob Macy was...

SoonerPride
2/3/2012, 02:36 PM

True, but he always wore that snazzy bolo tie.

badger
2/3/2012, 02:41 PM
Anybody in a unionized industry have any thoughts on right to work? I know that the popular union stance is that it makes unions less powerful, doesn't create any more jobs and is just a big huge conspiracy to take more money outta the little guy's hands in favor of big business... but what is the truth?

okie52
2/3/2012, 02:54 PM
I don't know all the details but the whole Walters thing sure seemed like a hatchet job to me.

I've mentioned it before but I need to repeat it. Years after Walters pleaded guilty he made some speeches where he stated that the plea was just to get the situation behind him and that he had not done what they said he did. The a-hole DA then threaten to charge him with perjury for lying when he made the plea deal and forced Walter back to court to admit one more time under oath that he committed the crime. (Whether or not the original charges were politically motivated, this part was nothing more than a political hatchet job motivated by a personal rivalry.)

I'm no attorney but common sense would tell me that a plea is not or should not be subject to perjury charges. If they were then we might as well charge everyone who plead not guilty with perjury if they were found guilty.

Also, attorneys will persuade someone who may be innocent to plead guilty if they think for whatever reason they will not be found innocent. If a plea is subject to perjury charges then those attorneys are persuading their clients to commit perjury.

And, of course, there is the hypocritical stance that the DA was taking - actively prosecuting someone for breaking campign finance laws and then turning around and threatening to prosecute them for perjury for the guilty plea. Take your pick. Did you think he did it or not? You can't have it both ways.

Perhaps you are right about Macy. If he was still DA Jerome Ersland would still be filling prescriptions.