PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody around here care less about this Super Bowl than I do?

TUSooner
2/1/2012, 05:08 PM
I kinda doubt it. I have ignored all the hype and blather, hoping that it would allow me room to stoke up some interest by game time, but I just don't give a damn who wins. I don't really like or dislike anybody or any team. I suppose I kinda like Tom Coughlin, because he has mastered that look of something between dismay and disgust that you develop in two decades of fatherhood.

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/7701/coughlin1.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/684/coughlin1.jpg/)

Plus, every year he seems to be on the hot seat, but he just keeps on going.
But If I nap through the game I won't be sorry when I wake up.

Mississippi Sooner
2/1/2012, 05:21 PM
I love football, and I know this is the last game for several months, but I just couldn't care any less. As far as I'm concerned, the season ended the weekend of the conference championship games.

C&CDean
2/1/2012, 05:32 PM
Yes. I care less than you. Once my Pack crapped their pants and gave the game away to the Giants, football season ended. I need to get around to changing my avatar for baseball season. I'll be out splitting wood and won't be watching the POS. Momma will record it for the commercials though.

LVSOONER15
2/1/2012, 05:33 PM
I love football as well especially college. But for some reason, NFL games don't really keep me interested. And this Super Bowl just don't excite me.

kevpks
2/1/2012, 05:34 PM
Pro football season ended for me after bad calls by the refs cost the Rams those 14 games.

LASooner
2/1/2012, 05:41 PM
Good excuse to fire up some burgers and steaks and have friends over to eat and drink. I could care less who is in it.

ouleaf
2/1/2012, 05:45 PM
From a gambling perspective it has been kind of interesting...Vegas set the Pats as 3 point favorites and they are sticking with that despite lots of people putting lots of money on the Giants. Wouldn't mind seeing Vegas get beat up a little for a change.

olevetonahill
2/1/2012, 05:48 PM
Ima watch outa puredee boredom. That and I want see eli get his *** handed to him .

rock on sooner
2/1/2012, 05:56 PM
Good excuse to have my 9 month old grandson to bounce on my knee and visit with the rest of the family...
Good food, serious malt beverages and maybe some entertaining commercials...so yeah, I'll watch....

bmjlr
2/1/2012, 05:58 PM
its all about the beer for me...that is all.

TUSooner
2/1/2012, 05:59 PM
Yes. I care less than you. Once my Pack crapped their pants and gave the game away to the Giants, football season ended. I need to get around to changing my avatar for baseball season. I'll be out splitting wood and won't be watching the POS. Momma will record it for the commercials though.

Yeah. Mine ended when the Saints dirtied their diaper (and I almost loaded mine) with that last second TD they gave to the Farty Niners. Well, I kinda enjoy the divisional playoff weekend's 4 games, but not near as much as the regular season, like October -November, when almost everybody still has a chance, and there are lots of games. The Super Bowl is almost always anticlimactic unless "my" team is in it. I'm more sad for the finality of the season than I care about who wins.

LVSOONER15
2/1/2012, 06:04 PM
Good excuse to fire up some burgers and steaks and have friends over to eat and drink. I could care less who is in it.

That is one the main reasons I still watch.

Mazeppa
2/1/2012, 07:19 PM
I win! I haven't watched a nfl game since 1995 and haven't watched a superbowl in over thirty years. So i care less, much less.

hawaii 5-0
2/1/2012, 07:29 PM
I just wanna see two good teams play a competitive game.

....and I've got a 12/1 vbet on the Pats.

5-0

LASooner
2/1/2012, 07:37 PM
It's also funny to watch my wife and her friends pretend like they care who wins.

goingoneight
2/1/2012, 08:16 PM
Eli Manning is like the Tim Tebow of NFL QBs... wait.
Bellicheater... ugh.
Like I said in 2007-- why can't they just both lose?

badger
2/1/2012, 08:21 PM
It's about the same interest level as the LSU/Bama rematch. About the same context too... derp derp rematch derp derp redemption derp derp overshadowed by a creeping shadow of shadowy shadows... named peyton.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/1/2012, 11:52 PM
Crap of a game. I don't watch the stupid bowl anymore. Glad I am in Tokyo this weekend...

OUinFLA
2/2/2012, 07:58 AM
It's also funny to watch my wife and her friends pretend like they care who wins.

Wait !
You have a wife?
How come I wasn't invited to the wedding?
Do I have her pic in my LASooner portfolio?

OUinFLA
2/2/2012, 08:00 AM
I'm not sure I care less, but maybe.......
The game conflicts with re-runs of Once Upon a Time, Desperate Housewives and PanAm. I'm torn.

Ruf/Nek7
2/2/2012, 08:01 AM
This match-up sucks so bad, I am almost considering not even watching the commercials either. May be watching the Puppy bowl on Animal Planet..just saying. Better yet, will there be a lingerie bowl this year?? :-)

XFollower
2/2/2012, 08:25 AM
Same interest I had in the Nat'l Championship game. I'd rather watch a Swamp People marathon.

Curly Bill
2/2/2012, 08:49 AM
We have a Super Bowl coming up???

cleller
2/2/2012, 09:34 AM
My ex-neighbor was Wes Welker's aunt.

That's about all I care.

Their whole family were huge Sooner fans. Sure was tough having him as a foe.

The puppy bowl better be back.

OULenexaman
2/2/2012, 09:52 AM
**** yea I'll watch it....that's what the USA does.....eat, drink and have a ****ing party watching the ****ing Super Bowl.....that's why they invented the damn thing back in 60's.

trey
2/2/2012, 12:34 PM
**** yea I'll watch it....that's what the USA does.....eat, drink and have a ****ing party watching the ****ing Super Bowl.....that's why they invented the damn thing back in 60's.

this. i'm pumped. i love super sunday....brady going for #4...Eli trying to pass is bro....beer.....weed....food....$100 betting square....

BeaSooner
2/2/2012, 12:58 PM
I win! I haven't watched a nfl game since 1995 and haven't watched a superbowl in over thirty years. So i care less, much less.

I care less than everyone....expect this guy.

Dan Thompson
2/2/2012, 01:04 PM
It's all about the Bud ads.

Sooners78
2/2/2012, 02:04 PM
In the beginning I wasn't (probably due to the fact he played at Michigan), but over the last few years, I've become a big Tom Brady fan. Just something about the way he goes out and takes care of his business on the field. And, I'm really happy they beat the thugs from Baltimore.

TulsaSooners
2/2/2012, 02:07 PM
I would bet money that 99% of the posters on here complaining will still watch it. It's the Super Bowl, for God's sake! Even if you hate the teams or even hate the sport of football altogether, it is still the pre-eminent American cultural experience.

As for the game itself, I'd be curious if NE-NYG or NE-SF would have drawn slightly better ratings. On one hand, you have the largest market with several superstars playing, but on the other hand you get a cross-country matchup with a historical team who has been out of the spotlight for awhile.

OULenexaman
2/2/2012, 02:15 PM
And, I'm really happy they beat the thugs from Baltimore. This for sure....funny how the media now glorifies Ray Lewis...like the Atlanta murders and lying and cover up never happened.

TUSooner
2/2/2012, 02:19 PM
I would bet money that 99% of the posters on here complaining will still watch it. It's the Super Bowl, for God's sake! Even if you hate the teams or even hate the sport of football altogether, it is still the pre-eminent American cultural experience.

As for the game itself, I'd be curious if NE-NYG or NE-SF would have drawn slightly better ratings. On one hand, you have the largest market with several superstars playing, but on the other hand you get a cross-country matchup with a historical team who has been out of the spotlight for awhile.
Oh, I will probably watch it, or at least some of it, because I don't have wood to chop or cattle to herd and cats to skin or whatever else one might do. But I just can't get EXCITED about it.

Curly Bill
2/2/2012, 03:21 PM

How much would you like to wager?

Mississippi Sooner
2/2/2012, 03:24 PM
Oh, I will probably watch it, or at least some of it, because I don't have wood to chop or cattle to herd and cats to skin or whatever else one might do. But I just can't get EXCITED about it.

You got that one backwards. Don't you watch the Super Bowl commercials?

PalmettoSooner
2/2/2012, 04:17 PM
I'm not really interested in this years game but I will prob. watch. It gives me a good reason to drink a few beers and fire up the grill.

BigTip
2/2/2012, 04:19 PM
I didn't give a crap about this game.

Then I made a bet with a friend for $5. I took the points and the Giants.

NOW I give a crap.

That's how it works.

starclassic tama
2/2/2012, 04:28 PM
a lot of hate for the championship game of the highest level of football. i don't really see how someone can love football and not appreciate the super bowl

SOFSooner
2/2/2012, 06:29 PM
I could care even less about this game as I did when the same two teams played in '08, I am in Djibouti and there is no way I am staying up until 5 am to watch this. That is only reserved for the SOONERS!!!!

Mazeppa
2/2/2012, 09:26 PM

I'm the 1%

AlboSooner
2/2/2012, 10:17 PM
Last game of football, until September.....I care, even though I don't have a rooting interest.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/2/2012, 10:43 PM
I'm much more looking forward to the Ferris Bueller commerical and Madonna's performance. I just sorry one of those teams has to win the Super Bowl.

PDXsooner
2/3/2012, 10:16 AM
Oh, same old story...just like all the people who hate ESPN so much they can't watch it! How do you hate something you haven't seen? Because you probably watch it more than you admit.

At least crack some brews and have a party.

badger
2/3/2012, 11:45 AM
I'm much more looking forward to the Ferris Bueller commerical and Madonna's performance. I just sorry one of those teams has to win the Super Bowl.

Spoiler alert: The entire "Ferris" commercial has been posted online and it's an uber disappointment compared with it's little teaser clip. I'm going to save you from the 150 seconds of disappointment and just say DON'T look forward to it, that way your expectations will be met with reality :(

soonerloyal
2/5/2012, 05:55 PM
If I have to GAS, I guess go Pats. Happier watchin' Puppy Bowl VIII and icin' down my wrist. It's a bit sore from the indoor range yestiddy. I don't like Glocks as well as Sigs. Got any suggestions for next time? Repeat the Glock, so I can get used to a little kick again?

soonerloyal
2/5/2012, 05:59 PM
And hey, if you don't have an online Papa John's pizza Rewards account, get on & register. If you do and the coin toss is heads tonight, you win a free pizza. Worth somethin'.

hawaii 5-0
2/5/2012, 08:00 PM
Ratz !!!!!!

I was set to win $250 till the Pats scored that late TD at the half.

Alas.

5-0

yermom
2/5/2012, 08:11 PM
Like a Prayer... uh oh, where are the burning crosses? :D

StoopTroup
2/5/2012, 08:31 PM
I like Clint's Halftime talk.

StoopTroup
2/5/2012, 08:32 PM
Like a Prayer... uh oh, where are the burning crosses? :D

As you get older....things do change sometimes. I felt bad for her when she could hardly step up on the bleachers. She used to be able to get both her ankles behind her neck. :D

nighttrain12
2/5/2012, 08:54 PM
I just wanna see two good teams play a competitive game.

....and I've got a 12/1 vbet on the Pats.

5-0

Me too! Plus that Adriana Lima commercial was pretty hot.

StoopTroup
2/5/2012, 09:56 PM
Here come the Brady Bunch...80 yards to go

StoopTroup
2/5/2012, 10:00 PM
Lousy coverage. NBC should be really embarrassed about how they are covering the last minute.

Giants win.

StoopTroup
2/5/2012, 10:01 PM
I think they put the fix in on that last series. Unbelievable.

jkjsooner
2/5/2012, 10:13 PM
I'm just glad to see coaches who know what they're doing at the end of the game. I can't count how many times I've seen a team whose only chance to win is to intentionally give up a score quickly, let the team run out the clock and kick a chip shot at the last second.

And for those thinking it's stupid, I like my chances at scoring a TD with a minute left a lot more than the chances of a missed PAT distance field goal.

It was also good to see the Giants coached up to not score the TD even if Bradshaw messed it up and got into the endzone.

nighttrain12
2/5/2012, 10:23 PM
I'm just glad to see coaches who know what they're doing at the end of the game. I can't count how many times I've seen a team whose only chance to win is to intentionally give up a score quickly, let the team run out the clock and kick a chip shot at the last second.

And for those thinking it's stupid, I like my chances at scoring a TD with a minute left a lot more than the chances of a missed PAT distance field goal.

It was also good to see the Giants coached up to not score the TD even if Bradshaw messed it up and got into the endzone.

I'd still hate to leave it up to a kicker to win or lose a Super Bowl even from chip shot range.

StoopTroup
2/5/2012, 10:23 PM
I thought BB and Brady blew up that last minute of the game. There was no reason they couldn't have made enough catches to get to the Giants 20 with 20 seconds left.

Sad that that's the best they could do. Brady is no john Elway.

Also...Eli stole Giselle's new Vette.....LMAO

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/images/content/102911_2.jpg

StoopTroup
2/5/2012, 10:29 PM
Actually that Vette ^ is the one David Freese won as MVP of the World Series...

I think if I was Eli...I'd like having this 427 version of the 2013 Vette...

http://jackmaxton.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/2013-corvette.jpg?w=630

StoopTroup
2/5/2012, 10:30 PM
http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezflow_site/storage_RT_NEW/storage/images/make/chevrolet/flippers/2013-chevrolet-corvette-427-convertible-and-60th-anniversary-package/2740176-5-eng-US/2013-chevrolet-corvette-427-convertible-and-60th-anniversary-package_rt_front_flipper_large.jpg

SoonerMarkVA
2/5/2012, 11:51 PM
Weird. I was so disinterested in the entire pro season that I didn't even know who was in the game until last week. I had no intention of watching it. Then, out of the blue, my 9-yr old wants to watch it because a buddy of his is a huge Giants fan and, suddenly, I watch the entire game for the first time in years.

Kids...

hawaii 5-0
2/5/2012, 11:55 PM
I expected better offense.

Both teams looked rusty.

5-0

kbsooner21
2/5/2012, 11:56 PM
I thought BB and Brady blew up that last minute of the game. There was no reason they couldn't have made enough catches to get to the Giants 20 with 20 seconds left.

Sad that that's the best they could do. Brady is no john Elway.[/IMG]

Wow, high expectations. And the Brady is no Elway comment, please tell me you're joking?

StoopTroup
2/6/2012, 01:23 AM
Eli is no Peyton either.

LASooner
2/6/2012, 02:09 AM
Anyone else notice Dan Patrick's hands shaking? Hope he doesn't have Parkinsons

StoopTroup
2/6/2012, 02:22 AM
I like looking at Suzi Kolber.

http://www.beertripper.com/OffTopic/2010/off-pics/Suzy_Kolber/Joe_Namath_Kissing_Suzy_Kolber.jpg

stoopified
2/6/2012, 07:27 AM
Going in I didn't care BUT I ended up enjoying it very much.

TUSooner
2/6/2012, 10:14 AM
I expected very little and was not disappointed.

I watched large parts of the game, but spent most of the evening cooking steaks on the patio, drinking some beer, and listening with one ear to the radio broadcast. I meticulously avoided watching any of that overblown halftime ****. It's just a needlessly long interruption in a football game. That people actually anticipate a half-time show demonstrates how effed up the nation is these days, and what a bunch of sissies we are. Instead I sat at the table and read a book about the Spanish treasure fleets of the 1500s and 1600s.

I almost got excited in the last 5 minutes of the game, but since I really didnt care who won... meh.

As for the vaunted commercials - I sure dont need any extra Madison Avenue shoved in my face. No matter how cute they think their new ads are, at the end of the day they're just more attempts to get me to buy **** that I don't need in order to impress people I don't care about. I can appreciate a clever ad, but i will not put down a book or walk into another room just to see a commercial.

I don't scoff at people who enjoy the hoo-hah. If you like it, good for you. I'm just not one of you any more. Super Bowl Sunday shows the American Herd in full stampede. I'd rather not participate. Just give me a good football game involving at least one team I love or hate, and keep the sparkle and glitter.

The good news: Tulane baseball starts a week from Friday, and the Dodgers will be just around the corner!

Curly Bill
2/6/2012, 10:19 AM
I watched ZERO minutes of it. What I win?

Mississippi Sooner
2/6/2012, 10:29 AM
I watched that series on World War I on the Military Channel. LOL I'm not kidding.

TUSooner
2/6/2012, 10:48 AM
I watched ZERO minutes of it. What I win?
That's its own reward. Congratulations! :biggrin:

Sooner_Bob
2/6/2012, 11:23 AM
Eli is no Peyton either.

Really . . . Eli has two rings and Peyton only has one.

StoopTroup
2/6/2012, 12:02 PM
Really . . . Eli has two rings and Peyton only has one.

Next year Eli and his two rings can play the 11 guys on defense and the 11 guys on offense and show us how good he really is. You're going to measure who's best with a ring? LMAO.

StoopTroup
2/6/2012, 12:05 PM
I DVRd it so I can go back and watch it without the commercials. Then later I can go back and watch the commercials without the football. :D

agoo758
2/6/2012, 12:37 PM
Next year Eli and his two rings can play the 11 guys on defense and the 11 guys on offense and show us how good he really is. You're going to measure who's best with a ring? LMAO.

Meh. Eli's 8-3 in the playoffs with two victories over the Patriots (Both of which he had a bit to do with). Peyton is 9-10 with a win over Rex Freaking Grossman. In my mind, Eli's better where it counts.

TUSooner
2/6/2012, 12:39 PM
I DVRd it so I can go back and watch it without the commercials. Then later I can go back and watch the commercials without the football. :D

Get a job!

:D

Sooner_Bob
2/6/2012, 01:13 PM

Sooner_Bob
2/6/2012, 01:14 PM
Meh. Eli's 8-3 in the playoffs with two victories over the Patriots (Both of which he had a bit to do with). Peyton is 9-10 with a win over Rex Freaking Grossman. In my mind, Eli's better where it counts.

Pffft . . . playoff records and the number of championships means nothing. Nothing I say!

I think it really does.

badger
2/6/2012, 01:43 PM
Not to take anything away from Eli, but really it came down to Eli's receiver catching the ball with his helmet and Eli's defense stopping the massive swarm of Patriot receivers from catching a game-winning pass at the end of regulation.

So... it is what it is. Peyton got a bad luck of the draw going up a against a team willing to onside kick to start the second half. Eli got a luckier draw in a sleepwalking Pats team that almost looked like their gameplan was "We're da Patroits. You will bow down before me, Jor-El. I swear it! No matter that it takes an eternity! You will bow down before me!"

jkjsooner
2/6/2012, 01:59 PM
That people actually anticipate a half-time show demonstrates how effed up the nation is these days, and what a bunch of sissies we are.

No, we're effed because people think others interests are an indication of how effed our nation is.

I don't GAS about the halftime show either but I darn sure don't criticize others for having different interests. Plenty of people think we're effed simply because we watch grown men playing a child's game.

olevetonahill
2/6/2012, 02:01 PM
I was only going to watch the game as I was doing other stuff. Found myself watching every minute of it.
When the 1/2 Came . Thats when I got up and did the other stuff

Cant remember if Ive ever watched a 1/2 time show

PalmBeachSooner
2/6/2012, 02:15 PM
Worst super bowl in a long time for me. I watched about two minutes of the half time show. It was like all the other shows I can remember...a waste. It's so chaotic and I could barely hear anything Madonna was singing.

Thanks goodness for the animal planet.

Sooner_Bob
2/6/2012, 02:53 PM
The actual game wasn't THAT bad . . .

TUSooner
2/6/2012, 03:10 PM
No, we're effed because people think others interests are an indication of how effed our nation is.

I don't GAS about the halftime show either but I darn sure don't criticize others for having different interests. Plenty of people think we're effed simply because we watch grown men playing a child's game.

Ever heard of hyperbole? Surely I don't have to explain that "some of my best friends are people who like Super Bowl Halftime Shows" do I? That said, I certainly do despise Super Bowl Halftme shows, and I am sorry that so many people like them, because that means they will not go away.

This guys says it better:
http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/id/7546917/super-bowl-time-machine-drops-us-nostalgic-sellathon

BoulderSooner79
2/6/2012, 04:10 PM
The Giants were better in almost every phase of the game and should have won handily. It took a great game by Brady and excellent coaching to keep this one close. And *dang* I feel bad for Welker. He's one of my favorite players and has been money for the Pats in so many situations. It wasn't an easy catch, but one he makes 98% of the time. And I didn't see any issue with his mechanics in the replay - the ball just didn't stick. No guarantee the Pats win if he makes that catch, but they certainly have a big advantage with ~4min left to play.

Sooner_Bob
2/6/2012, 04:15 PM
The Giants were better in almost every phase of the game and should have won handily. It took a great game by Brady and excellent coaching to keep this one close. And *dang* I feel bad for Welker. He's one of my favorite players and has been money for the Pats in so many situations. It wasn't an easy catch, but one he makes 98% of the time. And I didn't see any issue with his mechanics in the replay - the ball just didn't stick. No guarantee the Pats win if he makes that catch, but they certainly have a big advantage with ~4min left to play.

Yep. He was the only reason I would've been OK with the Pats winning.

But how cool was that interception by Chase Blackburn?

BoulderSooner79
2/6/2012, 04:37 PM
Yep. He was the only reason I would've been OK with the Pats winning.

But how cool was that interception by Chase Blackburn?

Pretty amazing a guy wearing #93 makes that catch. But the Giants lucked out there a bit because a healthy Gronkowski gets up higher and may make that catch. He almost certainly defends it.

StoopTroup
2/6/2012, 09:22 PM
Get a job!

:D

So many folks think I don't have a job. I'm an overachiever. I'm busier than hell. Why do you think I'm DVRing these shows. Also as far as beating the Pats. It wasn't the old Pats the Giants beat. It was a Pat Team that was darn lucky the Ravens shanked that FG.