PDA

View Full Version : Notice a trend with this RB class?

Augusta_Sooner
2/1/2012, 01:29 PM
These recruits are bigger (all listed at 6'1 and between 190-205 lbs.) than any of the RBs on the current roster. Glad to see this offense get some bigger RBs; should obvioulsly help in getting short yards, especially near the goal line. Maybe Blake Bell won't have to come in and finish off the last 5 yards of a TD drive. With all due respect to Finch and Clay, those guys can't break tackles and tend to get dinged up.

Scott D
2/1/2012, 01:35 PM
watch the OL recruiting the next two years.

ouwino
2/1/2012, 01:35 PM
part of the problem is not the size of finch and clay, it is the fact our offensive linemen can not run block for poop. they are very good at pass blocking, but for some reason, our run blocking is very inadequate.

picasso
2/1/2012, 01:48 PM
That and we've already got 3 smaller scat back types on campus.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/1/2012, 01:58 PM
brooks isn't going to end up at running back?

PalmBeachSooner
2/1/2012, 02:14 PM
watch the OL recruiting the next two years.

OK. Updating Outlook calendar now.

LVSOONER15
2/1/2012, 02:47 PM
We obviously needed some bruising backs.

setem
2/1/2012, 02:59 PM
Damien Williams is going to go nuts in the Big XII mark it down! We are gonna be back to 100yrd rushing average days again with him and Whaley!

I think if Ross can get qualified our stable is more than settled.

stoopified
2/1/2012, 06:01 PM
watch the OL recruiting the next two years.OL recruits in the next couple of years won't help these RBs a lot,better hope last couple of OL classes pan out.

Jacie
2/1/2012, 07:45 PM
We are gonna be back to 100yrd rushing average days again . . .

I remember the days when the offense averaged over 450 yards rushing . . .

OU_Sooners75
2/1/2012, 07:58 PM
These recruits are bigger (all listed at 6'1 and between 190-205 lbs.) than any of the RBs on the current roster. Glad to see this offense get some bigger RBs; should obvioulsly help in getting short yards, especially near the goal line. Maybe Blake Bell won't have to come in and finish off the last 5 yards of a TD drive. With all due respect to Finch and Clay, those guys can't break tackles and tend to get dinged up.

Report on rivlas is saying Williams is weighing in at around 220 right now.

You got to remember, these numbers were taken before the start of the football season last year.

OU_Sooners75
2/1/2012, 08:00 PM
OL recruits in the next couple of years won't help these RBs a lot,better hope last couple of OL classes pan out.

:concern:

Where did you hear this crap at?

The recruits we have gotten the last 2 years and the ones we will go after next year will help thee RBs out a lot!

setem
2/1/2012, 10:52 PM
I meant for our feature back not for the whole team, with a couple guys with over 100yrd averages will lead to the 450yrd average for the whole team.

OkieThunderLion
2/1/2012, 11:23 PM
No.

Brooks is 5-9, 170.

I think they've recruited a similar mix to what they have been recruiting. They also lost some of their bigger guys to recent transfer; Calhoun, Miller, and Williams.

OkieThunderLion
2/1/2012, 11:26 PM
We obviously needed some bruising backs.
They don't get a lot more brusing than Millard. No?

Heupel is going to prefer a finesse multi-purpose back, period. He wants a receiving threat who can play in space. The reason Miller left is because Gundy/Heupel thought he was less than adequate in the pass game.

OU_Sooners75
2/1/2012, 11:46 PM

Heupel is going to prefer a finesse multi-purpose back, period. He wants a receiving threat who can play in space. The reason Miller left is because Gundy/Heupel thought he was less than adequate in the pass game.

Yeah, that is why Stoops wants a more physical offense?

That said, it also goes with your thinking why we got some big backs coming in....

Alex Ross: 6'1" 205#
Damien Williams: 6'1" 220#
David Smith: 6'1" 190#

Compare to what we have now our of our Tailbacks:

Clay: 5'11" 194
Finch: 5'7" 166
Whaley: 5'10" 197
Winters: 5'10" 156
Danzel Williams: 5'8" 186

Ross and Smith will gain about 15 pounds in the future.
Williams is likely at his playing weight for next year. May actally gain a few pounds.

prrriiide
2/1/2012, 11:48 PM

I think Millard should be a featured back. He can do it all, even if he doesn't have the top gear of a Finch or a Whaley. He's got the power to run thru the tackles. Him and Whaley spelling each other would be a tough run game for any D to take on.

Eielson
2/2/2012, 01:40 AM
I hated watching Finch try to pass block. He looked so outmatched whenever I watched him. Of course, the only times I noticed him were when he got beat. I never paid much attention the other times.

Okie35
2/2/2012, 12:21 PM
I hated watching Finch try to pass block. He looked so outmatched whenever I watched him. Of course, the only times I noticed him were when he got beat. I never paid much attention the other times.

Yea, you have haha there were times Finch made some GREAT blocks. There were a few times he'd knock LBs off their feet by going low.

On topic I love the RB recruits but it starts w/ the offensive line. Sometimes I don't like finesse, I want a line that will just pancake anyone in their way.