PDA

View Full Version : A Poke signing day tradition: Failure

badger
2/1/2012, 12:34 PM
On Jan. 13-14, Jaydon Mickens – a wide receiver from Dorsey High School in Los Angeles – made an official visit to the Oklahoma State campus.

A few days later, during an interview with the Tulsa World, he was asked where OSU stood in his decision process.

"Leading,” he replied. “They're solid."

You know how the story ends by now :D

But, just in case you want to read the rest, Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?/A_spectacular_waste_of_time_Mickens_commits_to_Was hington/11-14001)

olevetonahill
2/1/2012, 12:43 PM
Every time I click on a TW deal it tells me I have to register er some **** and I aint gonna do it
Just copy and paste fer us old hard heads

badger
2/1/2012, 12:48 PM
I like to give other sites their traffic bumps from sites like this, that's why I link em rather than just posting all of the text. Sooner traffic = More Sooner coverage and Sooner awesomeness.

In a nutshell, the story continues that Gundy and another coach flew out to Cali to do an in-home visit, and he seemed to be an incredibly solid verbal... up until the he said last night that he was going to Washington. :stunned:

SoonerDood
2/1/2012, 01:06 PM
Seattle>>>>>>Stillwater

goingoneight
2/1/2012, 01:09 PM
Oh, but they "stole" a player from OU... so this signing class is GREAT! :D

Mississippi Sooner
2/1/2012, 01:10 PM
Seattle>>>>>>Stillwater

Heck, even Starkville>>>>>>Stillwater.

Ok, that might be a stretch.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/1/2012, 01:13 PM
Man, Washington is getting some darn good players

Neath a Western Sky
2/1/2012, 01:15 PM
Badger, classic way you set that original post up, and your follow-up as well. Thanks for allowing us to feel--or at least know about--the Pokes' pain! LMAO!

LVSOONER15
2/1/2012, 01:20 PM
Seattle>>>>>>Stillwater

Now that is for sure.

Neath a Western Sky
2/1/2012, 01:21 PM
Badger, are you--or anyone else--following Arky's day, their fan reaction on message boards, etc.? Wondering how they're feeling with the loss of both DGB and Gardner, and how their haul is going otherwise? Entertaining to read on the thread from a Hog site that someone posted on here the other day how their fans consider their facilities, team, talent, everything, better than ours.

badger
2/1/2012, 01:48 PM
Badger, classic way you set that original post up, and your follow-up as well. Thanks for allowing us to feel--or at least know about--the Pokes' pain! LMAO!

I was just telling NP that the reason I think that it's a Poke tradition that they lose a top prospect right around signing day every year was from a notorious loss in 2010 and the fan meltdown that ensued afterward.

Tulsa-area recruiting Calvin Barnett (BTW) was a longtime commitment, and it is also important to note that BTW's colors are black and orange.

So, what does he do on signing day? Rips off his (BLACK AND ORANGE) pullover to reveal an Arkansas vest, throws on an Arkansas hat, and was like "They can become Arkansas Razorback fans" when asked about the OSU fan reaction to his switch. :stunned:

Because OP.com is notorious for overreacting (see my sig line), they immediately jumped to the conclusion that he ripped off an OSU pullover to reveal the Arky gear. Once again, BTW colors, BTW pullover.

Because OP.com also likes to enjoy others suffering in the name of "they deserved it" (oh man... the story behind the thread on my sig line... another day, another day...), they were all tut tutting (if anyone still uses that outdated phrase) when it was revealed that this guy was not academically qualified for Arkansas... so the big show was for nothing. Also, this same guy that shunned OSU on signing day is now joining OSU as a juco transfer, hehe.

Badger, are you--or anyone else--following Arky's day, their fan reaction on message boards, etc.? Wondering how they're feeling with the loss of both DGB and Gardner, and how their haul is going otherwise? Entertaining to read on the thread from a Hog site that someone posted on here the other day how their fans consider their facilities, team, talent, everything, better than ours.

The biggest thing was DGB it appeared, because ESPN et al were reporting that he was signing with them... much like Texas A&M, another notorious "we are sooooo offended" fanbase, were going from "best recruit ever" to "we don't need him" at blazing speed after the official announcement.

However, I try not to torture myself by visiting opposing fan message boards, unless i'm posting their meltdowns here for humor purposes. Check ESPN.com articles on DGB for the arky angst... and subsequent arky bashing. I'd probably visit arky more if they were a conference foe. I even find myself visiting texags less than before.

badger
2/1/2012, 01:51 PM
Here's an ESPN.com link (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/7526735/dorial-green-beckham-commits-missouri)

And a sampling:

sounds like sour grapes--they're in the SEC East remember, they will be fine

silly pigs, like they ever had a chance....
the comments are probably more venomous elsewhere... edsbs perhaps

allanace16
2/1/2012, 02:33 PM
Heck, even Starkville>>>>>>Stillwater.

Ok, that might be a stretch.

As someone that went to the MSU-LSU game on the way to OU-FSU, I'll say I had far more fun in Starkville than any time I've EVER gone to Stillwater...... though I could see how it wouldn't be terribly interesting outside of a gameday......

The Maestro
2/1/2012, 03:03 PM
I wonder who the second coming of XLK will be for OSU in this year's recruiting class?

oumartin
2/1/2012, 04:17 PM
All I can say is OSU must have some great coaches cuz their guys whipped Stoops boys up and down the field.

I'm done trashing OSU until OU throttles them.

badger
2/1/2012, 04:30 PM
All I can say is OSU must have some great coaches cuz their guys whipped Stoops boys up and down the field.

:mad: Nah... we were without our top receiver and top running back.

Seamus
2/1/2012, 05:04 PM
I'm done posting until OU throttles osu.

FIFY. Hopefully.

Widescreen
2/1/2012, 05:14 PM
They ended up with some 2-star WR's. One of them will probably by the Belitnekoff winner in 3 years. :mad:

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/1/2012, 06:03 PM
I think Blackmon was only a 3-star. Who new he had such jets to turn on...Why, THE MAN knew, of course.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/1/2012, 06:05 PM

I'm done trashing OSU until OU throttles them.What, we lose to them for the first time in 9 yrs, with a maimed and discomBOBulated team, and you're all "we suck"!!!?

budbarrybob
2/1/2012, 07:02 PM

No doubt Aggie has improved over the last couple of years and our complete meltdown offensively in the last several games, but for realz? Not gonna trash aggie? until OU throttles them. 1 win outta 8 years and you've given in? Sounds like JT on the SA favoring OU despite all the evidence it would probably go in OSU's favor - cause OSU can't beat OU...

CowboyMRW
2/1/2012, 08:04 PM
Jaydon Mickens was never committed to us. We didn't even show interest, nor did he reciprocate interest until when we were down at the Fiesta Bowl and he was in Phoenix practicing for the Semper Fi game with Wes Lunt. It would've been nice to land him, but best of luck to him. The only guy we lost today was Chance Allen, and we all knew that was coming anyways after his trip up to Oregon with his bff, Bralon Addison.

badger
2/1/2012, 08:13 PM
Jaydon Mickens was never committed to us. We didn't even show interest, nor did he reciprocate interest until when we were down at the Fiesta Bowl and he was in Phoenix practicing for the Semper Fi game with Wes Lunt. It would've been nice to land him, but best of luck to him. The only guy we lost today was Chance Allen, and we all knew that was coming anyways after his trip up to Oregon with his bff, Bralon Addison.

Does OSU do in-house visits and grant official recruiting trips to players you're not gonna offer or that show no interest?

Of course he wasn't committed --- verbals are non-binding anyways.

I know that OP.com is probably plotting to burn down my house and stuff for starting this thread (please tell them to not bother --- there's heavy rain scheduled to hit Oklahoma on Thursday/Friday), so please forgive me for having a little bit of fun at the expense of our little brother program. :P

thecrimsoncrusader
2/1/2012, 09:13 PM

Wow. OSU's best team ever beat an Oklahoma team who lost to a 5-7 Texas Tech team in Norman and lost to Baylor for the first time ever. I'm the guy that doesn't make stupid posts, you're the other guy.

Jacie
2/1/2012, 09:39 PM
Rivals rates their 2012 class as 38th best, which is down from the previous 5-years average recruiting class rank of 30th.

CowboyMRW
2/1/2012, 10:16 PM
Scout ranks our WR/TE recruits 2nd best in the nation

badger
2/1/2012, 10:41 PM
You should make rings for that :p

champions77
2/2/2012, 05:39 PM
As someone that went to the MSU-LSU game on the way to OU-FSU, I'll say I had far more fun in Starkville than any time I've EVER gone to Stillwater...... though I could see how it wouldn't be terribly interesting outside of a gameday......

When you read or hear of a recruit having a great time in Stillwater, do you wonder out loud, "How". I mean Eskimo Joe's is the hot spot in town, right? It's where they take the recruits for a burger and fries, maybe buy a tee shirt. There is a reason that only 40,000 people make a conscious decision to live there.

FB signee Michael Wilson in recent interview by the DOK, stated why OSU was his choice.... "Stillwater reminded me exactly of my hometown" It should be noted, that Michael Wilson is from Aledo, Texas, population 1,736. This is not a flattering comparison by anyones standards.

the_ouskull
2/2/2012, 06:42 PM
THE MAN knew, of course.

He's a man? Bullsh*t. How old is he? :D

badger
2/3/2012, 11:58 AM
He's a man? Bullsh*t. How old is he? :D

44 I think, which currently makes him the Big 12's youngest football head coach... methinks that creepy Dana might be younger though... I'm gonna Wikipedia that because I'm curious...

OK, Dana is 40. Mike is indeed 44. Gary Patterson is actually already 51, so when the Big 12 expands, Dana will be the youngest.

Also, I am going to ruin TV for all of you: Everytime you see this ad, you will think of Dana Holgorsen when it cuts to the guy at the end.

ucHCgc48Z1s

:stunned:

deweydw
2/3/2012, 12:52 PM
The Poke fan base is fired up for next season.

Y-U171p0S5U

LVSOONER15
2/3/2012, 12:59 PM
The Poke fan base is fired up for next season.

Y-U171p0S5U

Good lord that man on the left is ripped. Well actually both are. Are they waiting to get their season tickets?

SoonerTerry
2/3/2012, 01:07 PM
Every time I click on a TW deal it tells me I have to register er some **** and I aint gonna do it
Just copy and paste fer us old hard heads

Teh prons havr computater all dorked up...