PDA

View Full Version : Example of changes Mike will bring (from a former player)

8timechamps
1/31/2012, 11:03 PM
Read this interview with Rufus Alexander today, and this paragraph stuck out to me:

JT: What are your thoughts on Mike Stoops returning?

RA: I think it’s a great fit for the program. Mike has that attention to detail, he’s an emotional guy who’s going to coach you hard. He expects and demands that you do the things he asks you to do. Mike Stoops won’t cater to things like Travis Lewis calling guys out in media. I don’t think with Mike Stoops there, he would get away with that. Mike is all about business. He’s a passionate coach a lot of the things coach Venables is. Mike’s intensity is even a little bit higher. He wants to win and he’s going to put guys on field and coach them hard. The kids there in for a rude awakening.

Interesting.

For the entire interview, check it out at ESPN/SoonerNation: Click Here (http://espn.go.com/blog/colleges/oklahoma/post?id=4955)

CowboyMRW
1/31/2012, 11:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-ISOjSYkM4
This Rufus? :D

8timechamps
1/31/2012, 11:33 PM
More like THIS Rufus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s9J0eJ_M-Y

EatLeadCommie
1/31/2012, 11:34 PM
did Rufus play under Mike?

picasso
1/31/2012, 11:36 PM
Rufus has more Big 12 titles than the greatest QB in oSu history.

Collier11
1/31/2012, 11:38 PM

if all you have to brag about is one hit in yet another OU win, hit away

8timechamps
1/31/2012, 11:40 PM
did Rufus play under Mike?

I believe Rufus was recruited by Mike, and may have even been there his freshman year.

picasso
1/31/2012, 11:54 PM
if all you have to brag about is one hit in yet another OU win, hit away
Yeah but Elbert Craig laid the wood on Mark Clayton in '03. And the Pokes lost 52-9.

StoopTroup
2/1/2012, 12:59 AM
Basically he said that Mike was Brent and Brent was Mike and that it's Brent Turn to leave and see if he can find a HC job.

Seamus
2/1/2012, 01:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-ISOjSYkM4[/video]

You're generally considered a good poster here, despite your disability, so I'll try to say this with all due decorum and diplomacy:

Get bent, dipsh it.

badger
2/1/2012, 08:15 AM

LOL @ the score and @ Bobby Reid.

Speaking of, what ever happened to Bobby Reid? He was the second-coming of Vince Young and then suddenly I didn't see him on the field much any more. I assume he went on to win the Heisman, got drafted in the first round and led the Pokes to glory and championships?

[hairGel]

TFSooner
2/1/2012, 09:25 AM
I heard an interview with Matt McCoy a few years ago here in Tulsa. The discussion turned to the difference between Brent and Mike. Matt wasn't saying anything negative about Brent, gave him high praise. But, he said there was a difference between the two and that you definitely did NOT want to screw up with Mike. Lot's of attention to detail and expected perfection.

I found it interesting coming from a previous player, and a player that was personally coached by Mike. Take it for what it's worth.

SonoranSooner
2/1/2012, 09:40 AM
Yes . . . that's the guy!

LVSOONER15
2/1/2012, 10:14 AM
Always loved the way Rufus played. Lights out every play.

Neath a Western Sky
2/1/2012, 11:02 AM
I liked this quote of Rufus's: "The kids there in for a rude awakening."

TMcGee86
2/1/2012, 11:59 AM
I liked this quote of Rufus's: "The kids there in for a rude awakening."

I've had a feeling for a while now that TL was one of the major problems with this team, despite the fact that he was a leader. I think the locker room will be a much better place with him gone and the timing couldn't be better to bring Mike back and restore the order that made this defense one of the best in the nation. I hate to say it bc I think he was good and part of me liked his passion, but I'm not going to miss TL at all.

sooneredaco
2/1/2012, 12:08 PM
I've had a feeling for a while now that TL was one of the major problems with this team, despite the fact that he was a leader. I think the locker room will be a much better place with him gone and the timing couldn't be better to bring Mike back and restore the order that made this defense one of the best in the nation. I hate to say it bc I think he was good and part of me liked his passion, but I'm not going to miss TL at all.

But his hair is always so cool!

C&CDean
2/1/2012, 12:29 PM
a) Travis Lewis was bad locker room joo joo.

b) Brent/Mike are interchangeable. Mike at least has the luxury of starting out without a loudmouth underachieving linebacker playing for him.

c) Rufus isn't very good at basketball.

CowboyMRW
2/1/2012, 08:01 PM
My bad at anyone I offended. I posted it as a joke, especially since yall ended up winning that game. :boxing:

hawaii 5-0
2/1/2012, 08:04 PM
I'm ready to see some intensity on Defense.

Venables was a cute puppy.

5-0

OkieThunderLion
2/1/2012, 08:10 PM
I heard an interview with Matt McCoy a few years ago here in Tulsa. The discussion turned to the difference between Brent and Mike. Matt wasn't saying anything negative about Brent, gave him high praise. But, he said there was a difference between the two and that you definitely did NOT want to screw up with Mike. Lot's of attention to detail and expected perfection.

I found it interesting coming from a previous player, and a player that was personally coached by Mike. Take it for what it's worth.
Brent is much more anal-retentive, and into detail, than Mike is.

Mike is more of a wing-it, fly by the seat, kind of a guy.

But both strong "Type-A" personalities.

goingoneight
2/1/2012, 08:26 PM
"The best thing about Coach (Mike) Stoops is he simplifies things so well. He's hardcore and energetic; but he's an amazing teacher of the game."
-TRRW two years ago
"Mike doesn't complicate scheme if his guys can't handle it. It's basically our guys versus your guys. When you look at the guys we get in here every year, that alone is enough to be great."
-TRRW about three weeks ago.

8timechamps
2/1/2012, 11:11 PM

I agree. As much as I hate it (because I really thought TL gave it his all for the program), I just got the feeling that he may have become a little too big in his own mind. If anyone was affected by all the pre-season hype, I think it was TL.

I appreciate all that Travis gave to the Sooners, and he had some amazing moments, but I think the locker room may just be a little better without him.

OkieThunderLion
2/1/2012, 11:19 PM
"The best thing about Coach (Mike) Stoops is he simplifies things so well. He's hardcore and energetic; but he's an amazing teacher of the game."
-TRRW two years ago
"Mike doesn't complicate scheme if his guys can't handle it. It's basically our guys versus your guys. When you look at the guys we get in here every year, that alone is enough to be great."
I feel Roy explains it pretty well.

Venables is really detailed and analytic. Mike is more of a free spirit, let the guys fly around.

Probably why the weaknesses of Mike's ('99-'03) defenses was the play-pass, and over-aggressiveness.

Eielson
2/1/2012, 11:29 PM

Those blocks are so easy. It's like having a boxing match with your opponent blindfolded. Even if you won convincingly, you don't have any reason to brag about it.

8timechamps
2/1/2012, 11:30 PM
-TRRW two years ago

Pretty much what Derrick Strait also said in his interview. BV is probably a super-analytical guy, which doesn't always translate to 18 and 19 year old kids.

Eielson
2/1/2012, 11:32 PM
I love how you guys find a way to blame TL for everything. With TL and Venables gone, I don't know who you guys are gonna blame next year if we ever struggle. Oh wait, I do. No matter how well he plays, it's gonna be Landry. I'm not sure who you'll blame for the defensive side of the ball, though. Oh yeah, Landry.

8timechamps
2/1/2012, 11:46 PM
I love how you guys find a way to blame TL for everything. With TL and Venables gone, I don't know who you guys are gonna blame next year if we ever struggle. Oh wait, I do. No matter how well he plays, it's gonna be Landry. I'm not sure who you'll blame for the defensive side of the ball, though. Oh yeah, Landry.

Who are you talking to?? Nobody's "blaming" anything on Travis, other than possibly bringing down the locker-room moral. Since you're assuming everyone's "blaming" things on TL and BV, maybe you should go back and research past threads, I can assure you I was at the top of the list of BV and TL supporters.

By the way, was Rufus "blaming" Lewis too?

Eielson
2/1/2012, 11:51 PM
Who are you talking to?? Nobody's "blaming" anything on Travis, other than possibly bringing down the locker-room moral. Since you're assuming everyone's "blaming" things on TL and BV, maybe you should go back and research past threads, I can assure you I was at the top of the list of BV and TL supporters.

By the way, was Rufus "blaming" Lewis too?

I'm not directing this at anybody. We've obviously had several threads blaming TL's play on our lack of success on defense, and now we're claiming that he's a locker room problem. I didn't take note of who claimed that, but I know there has been more than one.

And no, Rufus wasn't exactly blaming him for locker room problems. He didn't like Travis calling people out in the media, and he said Mike wouldn't put up with it. That doesn't necessarily mean Rufus believes TL had an overall bad influence on the team. Who even says we had locker room problems? Better yet, how would any of you even know if we're having locker room problems?

8timechamps
2/2/2012, 12:39 AM
I'm not directing this at anybody. We've obviously had several threads blaming TL's play on our lack of success on defense, and now we're claiming that he's a locker room problem. I didn't take note of who claimed that, but I know there has been more than one.

Yeah, there's been a fair share of posters that have picked a person to blame when things go wrong. But, I don't think anyone in this thread are among those folks.

And no, Rufus wasn't exactly blaming him for locker room problems. He didn't like Travis calling people out in the media, and he said Mike wouldn't put up with it. That doesn't necessarily mean Rufus believes TL had an overall bad influence on the team. Who even says we had locker room problems? Better yet, how would any of you even know if we're having locker room problems?

There are a lot of people that post on SF.com that have real, legitimate connections to the program. They know a little more than what the general public knows, however, they're not going to come out and say "Well, my source at OU said that Travis Lewis punched Brennan Clay, then told him that his mama was a man!". The few folks here that are connected may choose to offer some insight in a different way, like posting things like: Travis got a little to wrapped up in the pre-season hype machine.

Don't confuse those folks with the ones that:

Pick a new player/coach after every loss to crucify (Furrrrr Venebals!!!!1!!)
Or post everything as if their glass is half empty (Since they killed us last year, I'm not saying anything about OSU until we beat them again! :( )

I think those are the posters you talking about.

Eielson
2/2/2012, 01:06 AM
This thread isn't really an issue in itself. I'm just a little annoyed by all the Travis Lewis bashing that's been happening on here the last 3 or 4 months. The whole pick a player or two to blame when things go wrong is so old. When you have twenty-two starters, it's silly to blame one person. No one change would have turned it around for last year's team. Even if Travis Lewis was Torrance Marshall, Landry Jones was Josh Heupel, and Brent Venables was Mike Stoops; there is no way would be national champs right now.

NormanPride
2/2/2012, 08:03 AM
If the weakness of a defense is it's linebackers, is it not fair to talk about the poor play of the leader of those linebackers? That includes Brent.

College kids screw up. But it was shown time and again through film that Travis did not back up the talk he'd spouted. When you become that vocal, you invite yourself for more criticism. Travis was calling out others on the team publicly and then being one of the most inconsistent performers out there.

ObiKaTony
2/2/2012, 08:23 AM
Basically he said that Mike was Brent and Brent was Mike and that it's Brent Turn to leave and see if he can find a HC job.

Um, no

No wonder you think Brent should have stayed. Your statement couldn't be any further from the truth. The implications of him saying that Mike won't allow players to talk to the media like Travis did, speaks for itself. When he said players are in for a rude awakening; implication being they weren't "awake" before. He knows damn well Mike is a better coach, and he was saying it as "nice" as possible.

He IS saying that Mike will bring back an OU defense that was top 5 instead of upper 60's. Of course, some people on this board think that is the "same" so I can empathize with your earlier quote, both don't make any sense at all...

Jason White's Third Knee
2/2/2012, 09:38 AM
a) Travis Lewis was bad locker room joo joo.

b) Brent/Mike are interchangeable. Mike at least has the luxury of starting out without a loudmouth underachieving linebacker playing for him.

c) Rufus isn't very good at basketball.

I really don't know much about TL and how he effected the chemistry of the team. I have read the speculation though.

As far as his underachieving goes, a jacked up big toe is one of the most underrated injuries out there. Being mobile and explosive requires a functional big toe. I know this from experience. Putting all of your weight plus acceleration on one square inch of broken bone makes you want your mommy.

Fire Mike Stoops!

TFSooner
2/2/2012, 09:53 AM
Brent is much more anal-retentive, and into detail, than Mike is.

Mike is more of a wing-it, fly by the seat, kind of a guy.

But both strong "Type-A" personalities.

I didn't word my post well. What I meant was Matt said that, while both were great coaches, there was something about Mike that was different and made you fear him more than BV in the little things, like not paying attention to details and demanding perfect execution. Not that Mike paid more attention to details than BV.

cccasooner2
2/2/2012, 10:44 AM
Looks like this AZ writer is a little bitter at Mike. "The Wildcats are looking to rebuild the in-state pipeline that Mike Stoops destroyed while at the UA and a commitment from Neal would be absolutely huge for the program". :D

http://arizona.sbnation.com/arizona-st-sun-devils/2012/2/1/2763017/national-signing-day-davonte-neal-recruiting-arizona-ohio-state-notre-dame-oklahoma

Okie35
2/2/2012, 11:21 AM
Um, no

No wonder you think Brent should have stayed. Your statement couldn't be any further from the truth. The implications of him saying that Mike won't allow players to talk to the media like Travis did, speaks for itself. When he said players are in for a rude awakening; implication being they weren't "awake" before. He knows damn well Mike is a better coach, and he was saying it as "nice" as possible.

He IS saying that Mike will bring back an OU defense that was top 5 instead of upper 60's. Of course, some people on this board think that is the "same" so I can empathize with your earlier quote, both don't make any sense at all...

I don't think he's saying that because if he is then good luck to Mike. Against these spreads I'd be happy to be in the top 20. We need LBs that are as fast as DBs because the spread exposes mismatches with LBs. I doubt we'll ever be in the top 5 in total defense being in the Big 12. I hope Mike can at least will the defense to be in the top 15 for consecutive seasons.

On another note why would anyone bring up the locker room? :concern: Nobody knows what goes on in there. If anything Travis probably tried to fire people up. I highly doubt he was a cancer in the locker room. If that was the case he'd never be labeled a leader and probably would've been one of the guys gone. I'm pretty sure the coaches are smarter than that.

budbarrybob
2/2/2012, 12:26 PM

It will be interesting who will take the brunt of the blame for next year if we struggle. That is true. But, most likely it will be the one who is underperforming while running his mouth looking for the camera... :P

the_ouskull
2/2/2012, 07:54 PM

If by "interesting" you mean, "gives me wood," then yeah, it's pretty interesting.

REDREX
2/2/2012, 08:02 PM
Rufus was on the radio a few weeks ago and he said that the Linebackers they have been playing with are too small-----He must have made that statement 4 or 5 times

cccasooner2
2/2/2012, 08:50 PM
Here's what Mike says will be different.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-oklahoma-newdefense

OkieThunderLion
2/2/2012, 09:12 PM
Rufus was on the radio a few weeks ago and he said that the Linebackers they have been playing with are too small-----He must have made that statement 4 or 5 times

Pot meet kettle?

LOL!

8timechamps
2/2/2012, 09:21 PM
On another note why would anyone bring up the locker room? :concern: Nobody knows what goes on in there.

I wouldn't assume nobody knows what goes on in the locker room. There are a lot of people in and out of the Sooner locker room during practices/games.

I don't think anyone is calling TL a "cancer" in the locker room. Let me ask you this, if you're the head coach, and your starting LB, team captain and proven performer starts to develop a little bit of an attitude (for lack of a better word), do you just kick him off of the team? Of course not. My take on the whole thing is that I think TL shouldn't have called guys out in the media. I'm sure he felt some negative blowback from it. As far as a player, I loved having TL's passion on the field. But, I'm not saying he's irreplaceable either.

TMcGee86
2/6/2012, 12:25 PM
Yeah I wasn't trying to say TL was a cancer. If anything I'm saying the opposite, he was a leader and I think the guys looked up to him and liked him. But I just think his style lead to an overall let down on the field. He was more vocal than his production. That can transcend and create an atmosphere where expectations are lowered. Not saying that happened, but I just didn't like the overall feel to this team the past few years. I like TL, I actually liked his fiery attitude, but he just didn't back it up enough. He wasn't the reason we lost the games we did, but overall I'm just not all the upset to see him go. Give me a Rocky any day of the week over a TL.

thecrimsoncrusader
2/6/2012, 01:22 PM
TLEW couldn't back it up so much this year because of the injury. The negative impact to his speed was no better advertised than it was in the Oklahoma/ATM game where ATM scored on that long TD run. That does NOT happen with a healthy TLEW. So he probably shouldn't have talked given the circumstances.