PDA

View Full Version : NATION'S WORST IN-STATE RECRUITERS

StoopTroup
1/31/2012, 01:51 PM
This is from LaRue Cook at ESPN

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1228/ncf_a_gundy1x_576.jpg

His methodology

We looked at the 18 states that produced at least 10 ESPNU 150 recruits from 2007-11, and ranked the BCS programs inside those states by the percentage of local recruits they signed.

In the case of Miami, we didn't penalize a school that signed 22 in-state preps yet suffered a low percentage simply because it resides in Florida, which has been home to the most ESPNU 150 prospects in the nation over the last five years.

I think it's funny that they did all that work to figure who the worst are but then plastered Gundy "The Man" all over the top of the page. :D Talk about no respect.
Keep on truckin' lil brother. :tan:[hairGel]

Here's the link but it's an Insider link.

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7519381/stanford-auburn-worst-landing-state-recruits-cfb?eleven=twelve

badger
1/31/2012, 02:01 PM
Tulsa is very good at recruiting local talent from the top high schools in the area, even going so far as to persuade them from going to places like Arkansas or Big 12 schools.

I like that OU pursues both in-state talent and outta state talent.

I wonder what Gundy's relationship is like with in-state high school football coaches. That probably has a big impact on in-state pickups.

StoopTroup
1/31/2012, 02:07 PM
Being "The Man" probably intimidates In-State HS Coaches....lol

Breadburner
1/31/2012, 02:08 PM
We shall how good he is without Holgersons recruits next year....

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/31/2012, 03:38 PM
I like that OU pursues both in-state talent and outta state talent.

I wonder what Gundy's relationship is like with in-state high school football coaches. That probably has a big impact on in-state pickups.I wonder how the OA's picked up the Peterson kid after he had committed to OU.

8timechamps
1/31/2012, 04:54 PM
I wonder how the OA's picked up the Peterson kid after he had committed to OU.

Me too. They did a good job of riding the momentum of a great season....we'll see how long that lasts.

badger
1/31/2012, 04:57 PM
Me too. They did a good job of riding the momentum of a great season....we'll see how long that lasts.

XLK comes to mind --- OU had just lost to Poke twice, and when Poke successfully recruited him, Poke was all like "XLK NUMBA ONE NEW SHOW!" [hairGel]

And then... XLK lost to OU all four years. :stunned:

8timechamps
1/31/2012, 05:02 PM
XLK comes to mind --- OU had just lost to Poke twice, and when Poke successfully recruited him, Poke was all like "XLK NUMBA ONE NEW SHOW!" [hairGel]

And then... XLK lost to OU all four years. :stunned:

The fact of the matter is they've had a string of great WRs and had a very good QB fall into their lap. According to the article, the last "blue chip" recruit they got in-state is FB Kyle Staley (in 2011, he had 1 carry for 4 yards). History is not on their side, and we'll see just how well they do without Weeded, Blackmon and Bryant.

CowboyMRW
1/31/2012, 07:05 PM
The fact of the matter is they've had a string of great WRs and had a very good QB fall into their lap. According to the article, the last "blue chip" recruit they got in-state is FB Kyle Staley (in 2011, he had 1 carry for 4 yards). History is not on their side, and we'll see just how well they do without Weeded, Blackmon and Bryant.

In all fairness to Kye, he had an extremely serious knee injury coming out of his redshirt year and was expected to receive a lot of carries that year. The doctors weren't even sure if he'd be able to walk properly again at first. 2 years later he's 2nd team All-Big XII. Sounds pretty good.

Our string of receivers will continue next year also. I'm not saying one from OSU will win the Biletnikoff, but we'll have a 1st team Big XII at the end of the season. Michael Harrison or Torance Carr are my picks as come out of nowhere guys, and maybe Brandon Shepherd, although he'll be a true freshman.

Kevin Peterson was a kid that grew up an OSU fan his entire life (which is a rarity in Oklahoma, I know) but we hadn't offered because we thought we were going to flip McNeil from Tennessee who was our #1 defensive target this year. When that didn't happen we extended the scholarship and as we know, he flipped sides.

I think our philosophy is going to change a little offensively, and I expect JW Walsh to win our QB job, and he's a very effective dual threat who throws a nice ball also, so I expect the zone read to come back especially with our stable of RB's, which can only help our defense.

8timechamps
1/31/2012, 07:36 PM
In all fairness to Kye, he had an extremely serious knee injury coming out of his redshirt year and was expected to receive a lot of carries that year. The doctors weren't even sure if he'd be able to walk properly again at first. 2 years later he's 2nd team All-Big XII. Sounds pretty good.

Our string of receivers will continue next year also. I'm not saying one from OSU will win the Biletnikoff, but we'll have a 1st team Big XII at the end of the season. Michael Harrison or Torance Carr are my picks as come out of nowhere guys, and maybe Brandon Shepherd, although he'll be a true freshman.

Kevin Peterson was a kid that grew up an OSU fan his entire life (which is a rarity in Oklahoma, I know) but we hadn't offered because we thought we were going to flip McNeil from Tennessee who was our #1 defensive target this year. When that didn't happen we extended the scholarship and as we know, he flipped sides.

I think our philosophy is going to change a little offensively, and I expect JW Walsh to win our QB job, and he's a very effective dual threat who throws a nice ball also, so I expect the zone read to come back especially with our stable of RB's, which can only help our defense.

Didn't know anything about the kid (other than what the article mentioned). Sounds like he has had a tough go (with the injuries). So, maybe he'll have some success going forward (certainly hate to see any kid go through injuries).

Not many teams have a Blackmon or Broyles come through their programs, much less back-to-back big time receivers (Blackmon, Bryant). Weeden ended up being a very, very good QB and that certainly helped matters. I know you guys have some talented receivers coming back, but not the same caliber as the aforementioned two.

I figured Peterson must have been a fan, or at least had pressure from his family. He's a top notch player, and a big catch for the Pokes.

It will actually be very interesting to see how the Cowboys do next year. Nobody can deny that last year's squad was a special group of players, but there is also no denying that the bulk of the playmakers left. I'm sure there are athletes that can step up and make plays, but can they fill the voids and keep the level of success where it is?

I like seeing the Pokes do well (not beat us though!), it makes the Bedlam game so much better.

StoopTroup
1/31/2012, 08:20 PM
I could care less if the pokes do well and it's funny how they continue to get ******d by the National Media.

It's great if Cowboy thinks they are going to have some WRs next year. Maybe Weeden can telepathically throw them passes.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/31/2012, 08:22 PM
I could care less if the pokes do well and it's funny how they continue to get ******d by the National Media.

It's great if Cowboy thinks they are going to have some WRs next year. Maybe Weeden can telepathically throw them passes.Pretty much!

picasso
1/31/2012, 11:40 PM
How the hell do you know Joe Walsh is an effective dual threat QB if he hasn't done jack **** in a college game yet?

delhalew
1/31/2012, 11:46 PM
How the hell do you know Joe Walsh is an effective dual threat QB if he hasn't done jack **** in a college game yet?

Life's been good to him so far...

StoopTroup
2/1/2012, 01:29 AM

he's a very effective dual threat who throws a nice ball also, so I expect the zone read to come back especially with our stable of RB's, which can only help our defense.

So.....if he can't throw like Weeden....he'll be able to poo his pants and run like Zach. It's a poke tradition that Gundy will use now that the Coaches that got him to break from tradition left stoolwater. :tan:

stoopified
2/1/2012, 06:12 PM
Life's been good to him so far...Yeah but he's locked in the trunk in case he gets drunk. :D

usmc-sooner
2/1/2012, 06:28 PM
I hate the pokes but they've been replacing good QB's, RB's and WR's for a while now. They seem to have that down. Plus their OL has been consistently good. Their concerns are usually defensive.

budbarrybob
2/1/2012, 06:47 PM
I hate the pokes but they've been replacing good QB's, RB's and WR's for a while now. They seem to have that down. Plus their OL has been consistently good. Their concerns are usually defensive. Eggsactly!!

CowboyMRW
2/1/2012, 07:58 PM

Let me rephrase that. I don't know how his passing will be, although it looked pretty good in the spring game, and he gets to work with Todd Monken which is a big plus for OSU.

However I do know that he can run, maybe not Denard-like, but he's got some serious wheels, so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say he's a dual-threat. The effective adjective was my projection of him

picasso
2/1/2012, 08:23 PM
Let me rephrase that. I don't know how his passing will be, although it looked pretty good in the spring game, and he gets to work with Todd Monken which is a big plus for OSU.

However I do know that he can run, maybe not Denard-like, but he's got some serious wheels, so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say he's a dual-threat. The effective adjective was my projection of him
It's a stretch to say anyone will be effective if they've proven nothing on the field. I'm excited about some of OU's offensive recruits but I'm not going to be nonchalant about it and just expect them to walk on water.
You better gird up yer loins poke, Papa Weeden and his magic red head have left town.

Jello Biafra
2/1/2012, 08:56 PM
lets wait to see if hes an effective dual threat until you guys finger out how your o line is going to pan out. very different game, passing and running. you have graduated 4 lineman and the ones that are left have been recruited as mostly pass blockers....