PDA

View Full Version : State of the Sooner Nation

UberSooner
1/30/2012, 05:31 PM
Just thought on the heals of the State of the Union, it would be a good time to get opinions on the State of the Nation. We had a dissappointing year. The big twelve is more fractured than ever and the future is still in question. We made a play for more conference power or a jump to the PAC and things didn't go well on either front. We do have a new commish but Suxet still holds the reigns with its ESPN deal. Don't know how all this conference uncertainty effects recruiting, I guess time will tell but I believe the conference is weaker than it has ever been.

On the field, we were projected as contenders for the national title and up through RRR it looked promising. Then came KU questions and Tech answers. Then came the injuries. Then came cowpukes 44-10. On the coaching front we got Mike back with his Arizona D.C. but lost Venables and Martinez. A number of player defections raised some questions about the programs unity that have not really been answered. Disgruntled cry babies or legitimately disillusioned players? Fans went into meltdown mode with some even on this board wondering if Stoops Mojo had run out with a 10 win season.

As of right now, Rivals has us at No. 6 for this years class and ESPN at 10. Looks like we will pick up some Juco help that will have more immediate impact and we have arguably the best NFL quaterback prospect of 2013 returning. With Whaley back and healthy and an Oline that is returning starters, things look promising. My fellow Sooners, the STATE OF THE NATION IS STRONG. However, "STRONG" probably means another 10 win season.

Jack T.
1/30/2012, 08:05 PM
However, "STRONG" probably means another 10 win season.

So. . .by "strong" you mean "merely average?"

Neath a Western Sky
1/30/2012, 10:30 PM
I agree with your 10 win prediction, Uber, 11 if injuries are just moderate rather than severe as they usually are.

UberSooner
1/30/2012, 10:33 PM
So. . .by "strong" you mean "merely average?"

No, I mean a 10 win season is strong. It's not national championship, which comes once a decade if your consistently dominant. I was suggesting that we recalibrate our idea of what a strong season is.

StoopTroup
1/30/2012, 10:54 PM
No mention of whether we win the Big XII next year?

I agree. Landry is a plus when it comes to fixing the WR problems we have. The down side is that if we replace Broyles and Landry has a great season and is able to throw for 4500+ yards 50 TDs and < 7 INTs we will have a good year. Will it be better than 10 wins? Hard to say...we don't even have a Schedule to look at right now.

Others have tried to ask these questions but I think we need to see the signing day go away, the Red / White game in the books and then watch as our Sooners begin to practice and put our Teams together. Also seeing how the new Coaching Staff works together and what Schemes they throw at the opposition will alloww us to disect it all much better. Hang in there. I don't things are worse than 10-3 that we put in the books last season if that helps you sleep tonight.

Pricetag
1/30/2012, 11:22 PM
No mention of whether we win the Big XII next year?
It's an even-numbered year. We win it.

StoopTroup
1/30/2012, 11:37 PM
It's an even-numbered year. We win it..

Heh...I failed to see the patterns....LOL

BoulderSooner79
1/31/2012, 12:16 AM
I agree. Landry is a plus when it comes to fixing the WR problems we have. The down side is that if we replace Broyles and Landry has a great season and is able to throw for 4500+ yards 50 TDs and < 7 INTs we will have a good year. Will it be better than 10 wins? Hard to say...we don't even have a Schedule to look at right now.

50 TDs and < 7 INTs will produce a "good" year? I can only think of 1 season that produced those kind of stats on offense. I hope it doesn't require that kind of record breaking numbers to have a great year. JW got us to a title game and earned a Heisman with much more modest numbers. A little defense and some running goes a long way.

StoopTroup
1/31/2012, 01:25 AM
50 TDs and < 7 INTs will produce a "good" year? I can only think of 1 season that produced those kind of stats on offense. I hope it doesn't require that kind of record breaking numbers to have a great year. JW got us to a title game and earned a Heisman with much more modest numbers. A little defense and some running goes a long way.

I understand how you feel but we are talking about is stats that are reachable as far as Landry is concerned. That said I do realize that 50 TDs would be incredible given that we allowed the Belldozer to do his handy work on short yardage near the goal line. That could seriously hurt Landry's chances if the Coaching staff felt the need to score was more important than helping Landry promote a run at the Heisman. I think a lot of OU Fans think there isn't any chance of it happening just because of the Belldozer and the troubles OU had in the Red Zone last year. I truly believe that Bob and Mike are the ultimate Professionals and if Landry and the new players are able to revive our Offensive Productivity as it was with Ryan Broyles on the field...I think you will see them really push to not only give Landry the PT he needs but also the Red Zone back instead of the instant call for Blake. If we are stalling out and having trouble on Offense then Blake will play a lot and Landry will play enough to help his NFL Chances but not to much to endanger him. Then I think you'll see him take his chances with the Wonderlic and the Combine and try to convince the NFL that if they give him Superstars to throw to....he will win football games for them.

Landry is totally capable of 4500 yards and reducing his INTs. The 50 TDs is up to him to get. He had 38 in 2010 and RGIII won the Heisman last year with 37. Blake had 13 TDs so if Landry can increase his TD stats and maybe get some of those Bell TDs on his own...I can see him winning the Heisman or at least him getting to take a trip to NY against someone who can really impress folks next year.

I'll stop now and allow the LJ Bashers to post again about how he'll be lucky to get called in the 7th round of the 2013 Draft.

Eielson
1/31/2012, 02:17 AM
If Landry throws < 7 interceptions I think we'll be in the NCG.

WA. Sooner
1/31/2012, 07:11 AM
NC game is orange bowl so we will be there. 2000, 2004, 2008, 2012?

Jack T.
1/31/2012, 02:23 PM
No, I mean a 10 win season is strong. It's not national championship, which comes once a decade if your consistently dominant. I was suggesting that we recalibrate our idea of what a strong season is.

My point was that during the Stoops Tenure, we are *averaging* more than 10 wins per season. So is 10 wins strong or average for Oklahoma football?

StoopTroup
1/31/2012, 02:55 PM
My point was that during the Stoops Tenure, we are *averaging* more than 10 wins per season. So is 10 wins strong or average for Oklahoma football?

OU is Nationally recognized for having something like 33 10 wins or better Seasons throughout their Football History and Bob is one of those Coaches that any Team in Div IA would love to have as their HC. He's continuing to write History here as well as improve our image and our facilities. If anyone is complaining about him....it's only because some other Coach is having some short lived success or is one of those very Special Coaches that become living legends as well as Permanent legends.

UberSooner
1/31/2012, 04:12 PM

Yes, our average under Stoops is strong.