PDA

View Full Version : Spurs…anachronistic or cowboy fashion statement?

Chuck Bao
1/30/2012, 04:59 AM
While visiting my bank last week, I met a cowboy (I guess a real cowboy) wearing spurs. Since I’ve been away from the US for a long time, I don’t know about this type of stuff. So, I have a question: do any of you wear (or know people who wear) spurs while dealing with bankers, driving around town, riding horses or anything other than rodeo competitions and why?

C&CDean
1/30/2012, 08:30 AM
While visiting my bank last week, I met a cowboy (I guess a real cowboy) wearing spurs. Since I’ve been away from the US for a long time, I don’t know about this type of stuff. So, I have a question: do any of you wear (or know people who wear) spurs while dealing with bankers, driving around town, riding horses or anything other than rodeo competitions and why?

Heh. I know lots of guys who wear them all the time. The guy who rakes my hay wears them. My neighbor down the road wears them. The deal is they're attached to their boots and it's a hassle to take them off/on. They don't ride horses every single day, but they work them pretty much every day in some fashion. My rake guy trains cutting horses. He's out there before dawn every morning working them. The other neighbor uses horses to work cattle and he also hires out to collect up folks' cattle that get out. Watching either one of them work their horses is a real pleasure.

All that being said, I have no doubt there's a bunch of posers out there trying to "cowboy up" who haven't rode a horse since the pony ride at the Lexington 89er Days carnival.

achiro
1/30/2012, 11:44 AM
I have several patients that come in the office wearing them. I'm pretty sure that they all work horses pretty regularly so I suppose they are "real cowboys".
Tell the truth, it turned you on a little bit didn't it.

Jacie
1/30/2012, 12:38 PM
Spurs = cowboy pron

KantoSooner
1/30/2012, 12:51 PM
The big difference is whether the guy wearing them looks like he might have been on a horse today....or has been propping up a bar just South of Fisherman's Wharf.

8timechamps
1/30/2012, 05:24 PM
Watching either one of them work their horses is a real pleasure.

I bet it is Dean. I bet it is.

achiro
1/30/2012, 06:18 PM
So mark Dean and 8x down as turned on by spurs.

8timechamps
1/30/2012, 06:50 PM
So mark Dean and 8x down as turned on by spurs.

I'm turned on by spurs, Dean is turned on my watching guys "work their horses" (I guess that's what it's call nowadays).

Chuck Bao
1/31/2012, 02:28 AM
Heh. I know lots of guys who wear them all the time. The guy who rakes my hay wears them. My neighbor down the road wears them. The deal is they're attached to their boots and it's a hassle to take them off/on. They don't ride horses every single day, but they work them pretty much every day in some fashion. My rake guy trains cutting horses. He's out there before dawn every morning working them. The other neighbor uses horses to work cattle and he also hires out to collect up folks' cattle that get out. Watching either one of them work their horses is a real pleasure.

All that being said, I have no doubt there's a bunch of posers out there trying to "cowboy up" who haven't rode a horse since the pony ride at the Lexington 89er Days carnival.

Thanks Dean. I had forgotten about training cutting horses. I still can’t imagine that there are many still in that profession, noble as it may be. But I do appreciate tradition and those who want to continue that lifestyle. God bless them.

I don’t think that spurs are difficult to put on or take off for a cowboy who surely can master the complications of a buckle, especially if he has any hope of saddling his horse.

Since I live in a farming community, I believe that local bankers should expect some mud and manure to be tracked into the bank, okay that is after an honest effort is made of trying to wipe off the boots on the mat at the door. The cowboy I saw had clean boots and clean spurs and maybe he had already cleaned them up.

I now understand that driving a pickup truck with spurs on isn’t much of an issue either. I don’t think that I will try to do that, but if it is your lifestyle, have at it.

Chuck Bao
1/31/2012, 04:47 AM
I have several patients that come in the office wearing them. I'm pretty sure that they all work horses pretty regularly so I suppose they are "real cowboys".
Tell the truth, it turned you on a little bit didn't it.

No it didn't, truthfully speaking. I hate horses and for love or money, I aint about to change that hatred.

8timechamps
1/31/2012, 04:46 PM
No it didn't, truthfully speaking. I hate horses and for love or money, I aint about to change that hatred.

C'mon Chuck...I bet there are one or two situations that could sway your opinion. I hate country music, but if Megan Fox told me she would "lay with me", but she had to play country music....I'd wear a Conway Twitty shirt and a hat from the Grand Ole Opry.

XingTheRubicon
1/31/2012, 06:28 PM
Are you sure you were at a bank, Chuck...

oudavid1
1/31/2012, 07:33 PM

I see you met my brother.

StoopTroup
1/31/2012, 09:09 PM
My Wife gets pissed if I forget to take them off during the sexy times.

Chuck Bao
2/1/2012, 05:30 AM
My Wife gets pissed if I forget to take them off during the sexy times.

Well, I'm guessing here but I'd say that is probably because you keep sticking your legs up in the air and twirling your spurs like they're airplane propellers instead of doing what you're supposed to be doing.

oudavid1
2/1/2012, 02:37 PM
Well, I'm guessing here but I'd say that is probably because you keep sticking your legs up in the air and twirling your spurs like they're airplane propellers instead of doing what you're supposed to be doing.

hahahahahahahahahahhaa

(did I really laugh this much? Actually yeah)