PDA

View Full Version : Trey Metoyer

JLEW1818
1/29/2012, 10:03 PM
So it has been a long year for this kid. How do you feel about it? The kid couldn't make the grades and went to Hargrave Military Academy for a year. Always was sold on OU. He could have played a year of JR college or done something else.

I don't know the kid. But i'm honestly surprised that he stuck with it, and is now going to be apart of Spring Practice.

I think this kid has really loved OU for a long time.

He should end up being something special.

8timechamps
1/29/2012, 10:06 PM
I'm really hoping he has an instant impact, but he'll have to work his *** off to crack the starting roster.

He's definitely had to work a little harder than some, but hopefully that's built some character and made him want it more. He's officially in Norman and enrolled for school...so, he's cleared his first hurdle.

humblesooner
1/30/2012, 12:34 PM
Don't quote me on the details, but as I recall, his grade issue was basically from his early years in high school. Apparently, he decided after his Frosh or Soph year that he better get busy and was a very good student as an upperclassman.
When he finished High School, he was two credits short of being eligible.
He went to JC last summer and took and passed two courses in the summer, only to find out that one of the classes he passed was not an eligible course. Again, I don't remember the details, but he or his parents got some bad information regarding the courses when he went to enroll. Didn't find out until after the fact that one of them was not eligible.
I think the consensus was that he had become a better student and once he qualifies, academics should not be a problem.

stoopified
1/30/2012, 12:58 PM
The door is wide open for Trey with Broyles gone and Stills,Reynolds not exactly setting the world afire without Ryan. Add to that Jaz not going to be ready for spring.

starclassic tama
1/30/2012, 01:00 PM
you can never rely on a freshman to contribute right away, but he will have a chance for sure. he is a different type player than broyles, but if he could be a big bodied down the field threat, he would open up the field for stills the same way

Curly Bill
1/30/2012, 01:17 PM
I'm pencilling him into the starting lineup opposite Stills.

So it it written, so it shall be done.

StoopTroup
1/30/2012, 02:02 PM
I've got him penciled in to replace DeJuan Miller on the depth Chart. We will see if he can do what DeJuan wasn't able to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3OB5UAuRh4

sooneredaco
1/30/2012, 02:24 PM
I just want to know how to pronounce his name

starclassic tama
1/30/2012, 02:35 PM
i think it's muh-TOY-er

47straight
1/30/2012, 02:58 PM
Don't quote me on the details, but as I recall, his grade issue was basically from his early years in high school. Apparently, he decided after his Frosh or Soph year that he better get busy and was a very good student as an upperclassman.
He went to JC last summer and took and passed two courses in the summer, only to find out that one of the classes he passed was not an eligible course. Again, I don't remember the details, but he or his parents got some bad information regarding the courses when he went to enroll. Didn't find out until after the fact that one of them was not eligible.
I think the consensus was that he had become a better student and once he qualifies, academics should not be a problem.

I hope that's the case, for his sake and ours.

StoopTroup
1/30/2012, 03:07 PM
i think it's muh-TOY-erWhere do you pronounce that fexas twang? On the "toy"? :D ;)

SoonerMom2
1/30/2012, 03:20 PM
So happy to hear that he is on campus. It says a lot about Trey that he stuck with OU and now will be competeing in spring ball.

As a parent, I know how guidance counselors can steer students in the wrong direction. If we had listened to the guidance counselor at Gaylord, my daughter would have had to take an extra class in the summer instead of graduate. I went over her transcript, had my son look at it, and went over it again and again and was convinced her graduation check was wrong -- she needed three more credit hours which she took. In the spring before graduation, the nitwit from UT who they hired as a counselor, admitted she was wrong and had a class listed as counting that didn't. High School counselors are worse IMHO.

As a parent, if you don't look out for your kids and what is required then your children could get short changed. Must admit that the number of guidance counselors I have had to wonder about what they are thinking and recommending is much higher then the ones who were competent and gave really good advice.

For anyone with kids in high school, you need to check the requirements to graduate and for what is required to get into college, not rely on any counselor. If they are in college, do the same because too many kids have had to take summer classes after graduation because their graduation was done wrong especially if they have taken classes at other places when a class is filled up at OU.

Widescreen
1/30/2012, 03:25 PM
I've got him penciled in to replace DeJuan Miller on the depth Chart. We will see if he can do what DeJuan wasn't able to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3OB5UAuRh4

Well, if Metoyer knows how to jump every time the ball is thrown his way, he's already at Miller's level.

Curly Bill
1/30/2012, 03:32 PM
If he can catch the ball consistently he's already past Miller's level.

SoonerTerry
1/30/2012, 03:38 PM

That sounds right.

Sooner91ATL
1/30/2012, 03:45 PM
Looks like he has a little of the mark clayton duck your head and sift through arm tackles gene. Good.

Did anyone else notice the outstanding team blocking by his team on those pass plays? I mean, I know it is a highlight reel which by definition means good plays, but good lord the entire team is doing its job on most of those plays.

SoonerTerry
1/30/2012, 03:52 PM
Looks like he has a little of the mark clayton duck your head and sift through arm tackles gene. Good.

Did anyone else notice the outstanding team blocking by his team on those pass plays? I mean, I know it is a highlight reel which by definition means good plays, but good lord the entire team is doing its job on most of those plays.

Looked to me like the QB could have sat back ate a sammich answered a few texts the toss the ball in traffic and Metoyer would still go up and get it.

Jacie
1/30/2012, 03:53 PM
Last year, Landry Jones and the offense had a security blanket in Ryan Broyles. No matter what the defense did, if everything else was taken away, almost always Jones could find RB and the result at a minimum was positive yardage if not a first down. We saw what happened once Broyles was no longer on the field. The rest of OUr vaunted receiving corp was exposed as average at best.

Before that DeMarco Murray was the guy LJ could throw to when no one else was open and even though his receiving yards were much less than RB's, Murray made 1st downs. He is remembered for scoring touchdowns but I would like to know how many times he moved the chains.

So if Metoyer can step into that role, the guy who is open practically every down, or from his presence on the field make it possible for someone else to step up and do it, he would replace the piece of the puzzle the Sooners have missed since the a&m game.

Oh yeah, TM's video was pretty cool . . .

8timechamps
1/30/2012, 05:02 PM
The WR position is going to be the best position battle to watch in the spring. We have the best group of WRs ever recruited by Stoops coming in, so out of the group, one or two of them should be immediate contributors.

I think Metoyer's biggest challenge (from the incoming group) is going to be Shepard and Neal.

Widescreen
1/30/2012, 05:21 PM
I think Metoyer's biggest challenge (from the incoming group) is going to be Shepard and Neal.
Really? Shepard and Neal seem like prototypical slot guys. Metoyer is not.

soonercoop1
1/30/2012, 06:32 PM
Sounds good but alot of hype without seeing the field yet...

8timechamps
1/30/2012, 06:37 PM
Really? Shepard and Neal seem like prototypical slot guys. Metoyer is not.

That's a good point, but I think Shepard (of the two, Neal or Shepard) is the true slot guy. I guess what I'm thinking is that Stills and Reynolds probably have two spots on the starting roster, leaving only one readily available. It would seem crazy not to have Metoyer out there (if he's the best of the rest), even if it's in the slot.

goingoneight
1/30/2012, 07:49 PM
Duron Neal looks exactly like Ryan Broyles/Mark Clayton/Antwone Savage in the videos I've seen. I think I'm more excited about the next good slot WR than any of the jump ball guys I've seen. But welcome aboard anyway, Trey.

8timechamps
1/30/2012, 08:28 PM
Duron Neal looks exactly like Ryan Broyles/Mark Clayton/Antwone Savage in the videos I've seen. I think I'm more excited about the next good slot WR than any of the jump ball guys I've seen. But welcome aboard anyway, Trey.

Perception, I guess. Either way, we've got a bright future at WR.

VA Sooner
1/30/2012, 09:03 PM
Looking pretty tall out there... we'll see how his hands are come game time.

Agree, JLew... kid stuck it out at a tough military school here in Virginia... let's see how that hard work translates to playing ability and more importantly, maturity on and off the field.

I Am Right
1/30/2012, 09:53 PM
Can he catch a pass?

hawaii 5-0
1/31/2012, 10:43 PM
Right now I'm happy that we're getting players that truly WANT to come to OU.

Trey's gonna be a great one. Size, speed, hands. I hope he runs good routes.

As an aside, I look forward to the day when Broyles retires and returns to OU as our Wide Receivers coach.

5-0