View Full Version : Yes, (West) Virginia, there is a Santa Claus

Jacie
1/26/2012, 09:41 PM
. . . and his name is Chuck Neinas.

January 25, 2012

Neinas gives Big 12 update

Mike Graham
RedRaiderSports.com

RedRaiderSports.com's Chris Level and Aaron Dickens caught up with interim Big 12 commissioner Chuck Neinas on their Lubbock radio show "Tech Talk" Wednesday.

Neinas, the Big Eight Conference Commissioner from 1971 to 1980, has done some big things during his four months on the job.

Most notably Neinas was instrumental in adding TCU and West Virginia into the Big 12. It looks like the Big 12 will have a 10-team league for a second year in a row as West Virginia has assured Neinas the Mountaineers will play in the Big 12 this upcoming academic year.

"I'm very confident," Neinas told Level and Dickens. "I've received multiple assurances by their president and by their director of athletics. I know they've told the Big East Conference they're going to play in the Big 12 starting in September, 2012, and I have no reason to not accept their position. So we're counting on that."

With the West Virginia issues nearly wrapped up, the Big 12 is on pace to release the 2012 conference football schedule by Feb. 1. Releasing the schedule by that deadline is imperative for the Big 12 to meet its TV agreements.

In the immediate future, Neinas discussed the Big 12 Expansion Committee's meeting today. The committee was created this past summer to evaluate the conference's future viability and whether the league should expand back out to 12 teams or remain at 10 teams.

"When the board of directors finalized our arrangement with West Virginia University, they instructed the expansion committee to monitor the changing landscape of college athletics," Neinas said. "We have a board of directors meeting next week so the expansion committee is expected to report to the board. So what the expansion committee is doing is basically fulfilling its role for the board of directors.

"Right now we're at (10) teams. I don't anticipate there's going to be a movement off 10. It could happen down the road, but we definitely will be at 10 for 2012-2013 and there is strong feeling within the membership that 10 provides the opportunity for round-robin in football and you get to play everyone in basketball twice -- home and away. That seems to be appealing for our members. To go beyond that would take a lot of research and hard thinking."

Neinas accepted the Big 12 commissionership right after former Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe was fired on the heels of the league losing Texas A&M and Missouri to the Southeastern Conference.

But Neinas made it clear he was only going to be a temporary solution. His future as the Big 12 commissioner will be discussed at the Feb. 2 board of directors meeting. He doesn't really have an answer for how much longer he'll stay on board with the league, but offered the characteristics he's looking for in his replacement.

8timechamps
1/26/2012, 09:45 PM
I read yesterday (on ESPN I think) that Louisville and BYU are looking like a strong possibility for 2013. It's good to know WVU is looking good for next season...now we need to get to 12 so we can have a championship game.

SoonerMom2
1/26/2012, 10:44 PM
I read the same thing on ESPN which left the impression we were at 10 for 2012-13 and for the fall of 2013-2014 we would be looking to expand.

PDXsooner
1/27/2012, 01:53 AM
One thing I've learned about conference realignment...whatever you hear or read, it will change 8,453 times before it actually happens (if it happens at all).

Eielson
1/27/2012, 02:06 AM
One thing I've learned about conference realignment...whatever you hear or read, it will change 8,453 times before it actually happens (if it happens at all).

And nothing drastic ever happens.

StoopTroup
1/27/2012, 05:34 AM
At least by Feb 1 the tweets will stop again and we will know if we have 9 or 10 Teams.

Although nothing drastic ever changes TAMU won't be on that list to ever kick in the teeth and another Tiger joined the SEC. If I was LSU, I'd request that Missouri change their mascot.

Currently Mizzou has 4 open spots on their 2012 Schedule and I'm guessing it might have been 5 if TAMU hadn't agreed to play them. Both Missouri and TAMU also have Alabama on their schedule so I'm not real sure everyone in the SEC seems all cozy about them getting into the Fabled SEC. Looks like a bit of a cluster you know what right now.

http://www.mutigers.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/miss-m-footbl-sched.html

http://www.aggieathletics.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=632662&SPID=93232&DB_OEM_ID=27300&Q_SEASON=2012

It will be interesting to see how the rest of those two sore losers schedule pans out. I get a real pleasant feeling knowing we never see any of the losers that left the Big XII on our Schedules again. I don't think you'll ever see any of us playing each other again unless Bob and Mike have some 8-4 or 8-5 Season again and we have to play them in a minor Bowl Game. Missouri, TAMU, Colorado and Nebraska are probably gone forever on an OU Schedule. I'm getting the feeling there will be bad blood between our Schools. Especially since we beat everyone of them on their way out the Big XII Door.

stoopified
1/27/2012, 08:47 AM
I would not be surprised in the least if Nebraska shows up on future OU slates but I agree the others are unlikely.

badger
1/27/2012, 08:58 AM
Not to diminish hope, but Chuck and WVU have said that same thing before and he's just re-iterating it, that WVU has promised to be outta the Big East this year and in the Big 12 in time for fall football.

oudavid1
1/27/2012, 10:31 AM
Wow. Dan Beebe really was a complete idiot.

Russ
1/27/2012, 10:44 AM
WV is playing a dangerous game here. Syracuse and Pitt both are following the rules on moving on. I am interested to see how much $$ it really cost to move out. Any lawyers that can put together a list of actual damages if they play? Cancelling 4 home games in the BE would not be a problem as the road team does not make as much. Cancelling 4 road games would seem to put damages at quite high. Minimum damages of how ever much they have to pay to get a team to come and replace that home game. Breech of contract can get very expensive.

badger
1/27/2012, 10:49 AM
WV is playing a dangerous game here. Syracuse and Pitt both are following the rules on moving on. I am interested to see how much $$ it really cost to move out. Any lawyers that can put together a list of actual damages if they play? Cancelling 4 home games in the BE would not be a problem as the road team does not make as much. Cancelling 4 road games would seem to put damages at quite high. Minimum damages of how ever much they have to pay to get a team to come and replace that home game. Breech of contract can get very expensive.

West Virginia's argument (from what I've read) is that when you evict yourself from the Big East, you are required to pay half the buyout to leave.

WVU further argues that when it handed the Big East its half-payout check, it did on the condition that it was leaving in time for the fall 2012 football season. Thus, they say that by the Big East accepting its big check, it agreed that WVU was out by fall 2012.

I think the total buyout (recently raised with the addition of new members) was $5 mil, so I think WVU paid the Big East $2.5 mil already.

soonercoop1
1/29/2012, 11:51 AM
At least by Feb 1 the tweets will stop again and we will know if we have 9 or 10 Teams.

Although nothing drastic ever changes TAMU won't be on that list to ever kick in the teeth and another Tiger joined the SEC. If I was LSU, I'd request that Missouri change their mascot.

Currently Mizzou has 4 open spots on their 2012 Schedule and I'm guessing it might have been 5 if TAMU hadn't agreed to play them. Both Missouri and TAMU also have Alabama on their schedule so I'm not real sure everyone in the SEC seems all cozy about them getting into the Fabled SEC. Looks like a bit of a cluster you know what right now.

http://www.mutigers.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/miss-m-footbl-sched.html

http://www.aggieathletics.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=632662&SPID=93232&DB_OEM_ID=27300&Q_SEASON=2012

It will be interesting to see how the rest of those two sore losers schedule pans out. I get a real pleasant feeling knowing we never see any of the losers that left the Big XII on our Schedules again. I don't think you'll ever see any of us playing each other again unless Bob and Mike have some 8-4 or 8-5 Season again and we have to play them in a minor Bowl Game. Missouri, TAMU, Colorado and Nebraska are probably gone forever on an OU Schedule. I'm getting the feeling there will be bad blood between our Schools. Especially since we beat everyone of them on their way out the Big XII Door.

There should be bad blood as OU allowed Texass to run off Nebraska and create the domino effect with Colo, A@M, and Mizzou leaving...OU should have severed ties with Texass and saved the Big12...Texass will still destroy this new league as well eventually...

StoopTroup
1/29/2012, 06:43 PM
OU fexas is always going to be a bigger match up than OU Nebraska. OU Nebraska was huge due to being matched up in the Big 8 but OU fexas is a Game that will bring bigger ratings and bigger money due to the Venue being in Dallas. For years it was the only regular season game where you would see the crowd split right down the 50 yard line...one side cow turd orange and the other a Sea of beautiful Crimson.

Switzer and Osborn made OU NU a great game as they were both great Coaches and Osborn was a God there. We had Bud and 3 legimate NCs before Barry won his three. Bud and Barry having 3 NCs is where current OU Fans set the bar for Bob Stoops once he won #7 in 2000.

You can crap all over fexas and say that they are to blame for destroying this league but NU didn't have to puss out like they did and leave. We didn't want to lose either School. We welcome the competition and the money having NU and the whorns brought the Big XII.

The other 3 teams left because they couldn't stand getting their *** handed to them most of the time. That won't change for CU, MU or TAMU no matter where they go to play football.