PDA

View Full Version : Cracked shower floor

Pricetag
1/26/2012, 02:14 PM
My master bathroom has a separate shower stall. It was built using the cheapest POS plastic floor pan possible, and it has developed a crack, so I have stopped using that shower.

Has anyone ever had a similar problem? What's the best way to be able use my shower again with minimal trauma to the bathroom, minimal $$$, and no risk of leakage? Who do I even call to get this thing fixed?

Breadburner
1/26/2012, 02:19 PM
Where are you located.....

CobraKai
1/26/2012, 02:20 PM
https://www.getflexseal.com/?tag=im|sm|go|gn&a_aid=011&a_bid=a4cc8494

Seriously though I had the same problem. Unfortunately we caught it late and it had already leaked under our wood floors and warped parts of them. We had to tear it all out and rebuild, which was awful. I'm not sure what else you could do apart from tearing up the tile and replacing the pan. We hired a general handyman to do it. Its the same guy that had done some tile work and wood flooring.

Jacie
1/26/2012, 04:12 PM
Even if you could repair the crack, it would be foolish to do so without knowing how much damage you did to the wood underneath. Since you aren't using it then you might as well go ahead and demo the thing yourself so a good contractor won't have to charge you hourly until he is putting the new one in for you. If you get lucky, he won't have to put in a new floor . . .

cleller
1/26/2012, 04:24 PM
Is the pan separate from the walls of the shower? Its not one of those all-in-one jobs I hope. I did our shower, sinks and counters in cultured marble from Halcyon Marble in Tulsa. Have used them twice. Very good people with a high quality, yet affordable product.

It would mean cutting out the old pan, checking for damage (hopefully you're on a slab) then putting new one in. They will come out, take the measurements and custom make the pan. Have tons of colors, etc.

StoopTroup
1/26/2012, 04:51 PM
http://www.rellimzone.com/images/com/flex-seal-commercial-08.jpg

StoopTroup
1/26/2012, 04:52 PM
https://www.getflexseal.com/?tag=im|sm|go|gn&a_aid=011&a_bid=a4cc8494 (https://www.getflexseal.com/?tag=im%7Csm%7Cgo%7Cgn&a_aid=011&a_bid=a4cc8494)

Seriously though I had the same problem. Unfortunately we caught it late and it had already leaked under our wood floors and warped parts of them. We had to tear it all out and rebuild, which was awful. I'm not sure what else you could do apart from tearing up the tile and replacing the pan. We hired a general handyman to do it. Its the same guy that had done some tile work and wood flooring.

Opps...didn't see your link....LMAO

olevetonahill
1/26/2012, 07:16 PM
Wood floor or concrete?

Dan Thompson
1/26/2012, 08:54 PM
Go to Tractor Supply and pick up a small Livestock tank. Then paint it to match you shower color.

Pricetag
1/27/2012, 12:15 AM
It's a concrete slab foundation. With a slab, your leakage concern is for damage to the adjacent walls, no?

I found a video on Youtube that looks like a pretty good solution to the problem:

tdcmr8a6JBc

LiveLaughLove
1/27/2012, 01:52 AM
Not necessarily minimal $$, but the best system I have used is Schluter. http://www.schluter.com/

Good instructional videos and books for DIY folks. Will last as long as the house does.

cleller
1/27/2012, 11:00 AM
I watched the video, and understand the concept, but still if leaves me feeling a little uneasy, not sure why. Maybe its the guy's accent.

Drilling holes in the pan, then shooting in a filler. If there's moisture in their, it seems like it could lock it in, and great a mold issue. Also worry about the long term durability of this in-lay. I'm no expert, though, it may work fine.

Do you have tile that comes down to the pan, like in the video? Taking the shower walls apart, and working around tile to remove the pan would not be quick or fun, but when done you'd have the peace of mind.

The whole mold thing is an issue in itself. I guess once it gets started, it can expand like The Blob.

SoonerTerry
1/27/2012, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the video Pricetag. My shower is not cracked but it does buckle a bit, ie not firmly on the concrete slab. I'm going to have to look more into that.

Pricetag
1/27/2012, 02:33 PM
It just makes me wonder why the putzes didn't put some of that stuff down when the originally installed the dang thing.

Mold can't live forever without additional moisture, can it? Seems like it would dry up and die at some point.

I know at list a bit of water has gotten down there. I used the shower a few more times before I realized how bad it was, and my wife runs a little bit when she cleans it. The crack happened two years ago, I started using the other shower, and it got kinda out of sight, out of mind.

SoonerTerry
1/27/2012, 03:48 PM
I have found that bleach solves all of my mold woes. In fact I keep a spray bottle of 35% bleach around for wiping down stuff.

cleller
1/27/2012, 06:56 PM
As the Midas Muffler Man says, "you can pay me now, or pay me later."

Seriously though, I hope you get the thing fixed in a way that will keep the problem from either coming back or getting worse. Look at it this way, if you ever intend to sell the house, that will have to be fixed in a way that you don't have to worry about disclosures, or scaring off buyers.

StoopTroup
1/28/2012, 07:15 PM
Pricetag....find someone to just rip it out and install a new pan/shower you like.

When you are talking Master Bath, I think that's where you should consider a few things.

Sure, you can try and read up on it and give it a try and fix it yourself , especially if you have been successful doing it yourself before. If you haven't been successful before I'm thinking you should consider just saving up the money and having it done how you want it so it's nice and gives you piece of mind.

I've done a few and even though I saved some money ripping it out, one of the best things I did was pay someone that knew how to put a Shower Pan in properly and seal it and tile it. Getting some of the details just right was worth it and the way the guy properly laid the slope of the floor to the drain was very nice.

If you need to save money, fine but figure out what it will cost you to do it yourself twice to three times and then compare what it will cost you just to save up and have it done by an expert.

Also never pay up front to have it done. Pay when it's complete and you are happy. Also check references and go see their work. You might even ask to drop by and see them working another job if you hire a Pro.

A good plumber/tile guy will cost you some bucks but if you get a good one that you can trust, it's worth it for these type jobs especially if you love your house.

cleller
1/29/2012, 08:56 AM
If you are in a jam about who to call, I know a guy in Tulsa that is a semi retired, jack of all trades carpenter. He was the one that re-did our master bath. We were happy with the work.
It was a good sized job. Not especially fast, but good solid work. He's been in the business many years.

Lott's Bandana
1/29/2012, 10:17 AM
This doesn't really contribute, but I think it is cool.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/8813/kerdiline.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/kerdiline.png/)

Their website has lots of useful videos and recommendations as well.

cleller
1/30/2012, 04:54 PM
You will tell us what you decide, won't you? I have had a good night's sleep since this thread started.

Pricetag
1/30/2012, 11:01 PM
Heh, will do. I'm leaning toward ripping it up and replacing it right.

If the shower had never run after I heard the *pop* of the first breach, I might go the cheaper route, but I know some water has gotten down there, so it will be better to tear the thing out and have a look before putting a good one in.

I don't have the skills to do it myself, so I'll be paying a pro. I have to save up money, so I'll be showering in the other bathroom for awhile.