PDA

View Full Version : Yet another reason why the NFL is now a depressing dud.

cleller
1/24/2012, 09:17 PM
Terrell Owens. Paid 80 million, now broke, friendless, father of 4 bastards by 4 women, and whining to the media.

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201201/terrell-owens-gq-jeremiah-trotter-told-me-not-apologize-donovan-mcnabb

Memtig14
1/24/2012, 09:28 PM
I agree.......but that is me.

DarrellZero
1/24/2012, 09:39 PM
TO is getting his just deserts.

OhU1
1/24/2012, 09:44 PM
What is this surprising about this in any way? T.O. and a great lot of NFL players, circus performers, and movie stars are people who have a very narrow talent and very limited brains. Is it any surprise that they **** away their "easy money"? No.

I love football, but it's a disgrace that we pay these physical performers such a predisposition amount of money for such a mundane ability. T.O. catches a football. Bob Stoops makes more money in one year than Albert Einstein made in his whole life x 5.

Scott D
1/24/2012, 10:10 PM
I thought one of the best things about the NFL this season was a lack of Randy Moss and Terrell Owens.

badger
1/24/2012, 10:32 PM
I hope NFL baby mamas realize that their kids fathers will not be professional football players for all 18 years and don't spend their $10k per month child support all at once.

I hope Sooner alums have learned via their OU business school education (unless they were sociology majors) how to not spend a lifetime's worth of income earned in three years in less than a lifetime... or less than three years.

I hope ex-athletes like TO do publicity interviews like this with unselfish desires. Use your example to teach younger pro athletes about how those without money will take advantage of those with lots of money. Teach them how to take personal responsibility of their personal finances. Teach them, essentially, how to not be like you.

Soonerjeepman
1/24/2012, 10:36 PM
lol..ya know Badge...he could probably make money doing seminars for all the rookies....make a new career...

nighttrain12
1/24/2012, 10:55 PM
I love football, but it's a disgrace that we pay these physical performers such a predisposition amount of money for such a mundane ability. T.O. catches a football. Bob Stoops makes more money in one year than Albert Einstein made in his whole life x 5.

Blame it on sports fans for each paying 100's of dollars on tickets and merchandise. That money has to go somewhere and the athletes and the coaches who game plan deserve their share of the revenue generated for our entertainment. I'm not upset about them making the money, only that some (not all) will spend it like their sports career is going to last 50 years.

8timechamps
1/24/2012, 11:24 PM
What a joke. I have no sympathy for any multi-millionaire that blows through their earnings, then blames it on every other person.

He says he bought $4 million in home, but other than that, didn't send lavishly. Please. Don't buy that for a second.

The NFL does mandate that rookies go through a series of financial responsibility courses. Also, not just anyone can "advise" an NFL player (financially). The NFL has some of the toughest requirements to become a certified NFL player rep. That was all overhauled after Ricky Williams used the rapper for his agent and made nothing.

badger
1/25/2012, 08:26 AM

I don't mind the player salaries for a few reasons:

1- Careers, on average, are less than three years. Either a practice squadder or a minimum wager in the NFL is making good money, but it's only for three years, or possibly not at all. They are taxed at the highest rates (because as new money people, they don't know the loopholes that old money people do) and those tax laws are really screwball in some states for athletes (see California). Same for some countries (see England).

2- Longterm health problems. They need healthcare more than most working people and need it sooner. There's a reason they're asking for NFL brains after they pass away and not mine.

3- It's not an easy lifestyle. The 49er return guy that fumbled the game away was getting death threats. The NFL can cut you without much compensation and not much warning. The media and fans are ruthless (especially in Philly) and you take a beating during practice and games for 20 weeks out of the year.

Breadburner
1/25/2012, 08:41 AM
The NFL may be depressing but its not because of loud-mouth attention whores that wind up broke......

Hot Rod
1/25/2012, 09:25 AM
TO will be the next NFL star on Dancing with the Stars. :miserable:

TUSooner
1/25/2012, 09:26 AM
I hope NFL baby mamas realize that their kids fathers will not be professional football players for all 18 years and don't spend their $10k per month child support all at once.

I hope Sooner alums have learned via their OU business school education (unless they were sociology majors) how to not spend a lifetime's worth of income earned in three years in less than a lifetime... or less than three years.

I hope ex-athletes like TO do publicity interviews like this with unselfish desires. Use your example to teach younger pro athletes about how those without money will take advantage of those with lots of money. Teach them how to take personal responsibility of their personal finances. Teach them, essentially, how to not be like you.

When they're in college, they can't talk to "agents" who already know a whole lot about that stuff. So it's too bad they can't learn it in college. Oh wait, it's COLLEGE, they CAN learn it. Never mind! :redface:

TUSooner
1/25/2012, 09:34 AM
I was trying to dredge up some sympathy for TO, but I quit trying when I read this:

"I think people change, but the media, they never allowed me to change," Owens says. "They never allowed me to be a better person."

Wow.
Anyone who thinks humility is not a virtue, needs to examine the wreck that is TO's life.

My previous post was pretty stupid, btw.

rekamrettuB
1/25/2012, 10:09 AM
Let's ask Chris Rock what he thinks happened:

NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81p65CBg5G4&feature=related

Jacie
1/25/2012, 02:28 PM
. . . he's battling in court with four women to whom he pays a total of $44,600 a month in child support for his four children, ages 5 to 12.

I'd say T.O. got a bargain. Remember during the baseball lockout when Barry Bonds went to court to get his $30k/month payment reduced? He paid that much for just two kiddies and it included alimony (His ex was Swedish, like the former Mrs. Tigah Woods).

badger
1/25/2012, 02:41 PM
. . . he's battling in court with four women to whom he pays a total of $44,600 a month in child support for his four children, ages 5 to 12.

I'd say T.O. got a bargain. Remember during the baseball lockout when Barry Bonds went to court to get his $30k/month payment reduced? He paid that much for just two kiddies and it included alimony (His ex was Swedish, like the former Mrs. Tigah Woods).

Courts like to give kids the same "lifestyle" as daddy when deciding what the support payment will be, even if daddy selfishly or unselfishly wants the kid to grow up in a modest setting like he did, not a lavish lifestyle. In those situations, the dad might get the court to put away cash in a trust fund or college fund rather than send it directly to baby momma.

The fund might also come in handy when dad turns out to not be a millionaire anymore.

TUSooner
1/25/2012, 03:38 PM

How about the fact that he never had any relationship with the mommas except sex? Very careless sex, I mean. Although.... the mommas must have been "deliberately careless" and hoping for that champion spermatozoon to hit the jackpot!

cleller
1/25/2012, 06:50 PM
So he's paying over a half million a year in child support right now. The clinker is that he let this happen 4 times with 4 different women. What a slow learner. If he were smarter, he'd have turned gay after the second or third time.

These gals better hope all the kids are boys that can go on to the NFL. They'll bleed TO dry pretty quick, then need more NFL income to carry them thru old age.

8timechamps
1/25/2012, 07:47 PM
Something tells me T.O.'s life isn't going to end well. Maybe it's the fact that he's already attempted to off himself twice, and that was when he was in the spotlight.

rekamrettuB
1/25/2012, 08:24 PM
Maybe he should hawk that hyperbaric chamber bed.

AlboSooner
1/25/2012, 09:16 PM
I don't think TO's mismanagement of money, and his depression make a case for the pro game being a dud.

Shakadoodoo
1/26/2012, 05:30 AM
This has nothing to do with the NFL being a dud. But it has everything to due with a lack of financial education in our school system. They need to teach financial education from a very young age. I personally agree with Rich Dad Poor Dad on this. This is the same thing that happens to many professional athletes and other entertainers, as well as people who win the lottery. If you don't have the knowledge to keep that kind of money or people around you that do you will loose it all. As far as his kids go... If he was living his life right and got half custody of his kids - this wouldn't be an issue.

TUSooner
1/26/2012, 10:38 AM
I don't think TO's mismanagement of money, and his depression make a case for the pro game being a dud.
This is correct.

jkjsooner
1/26/2012, 11:21 AM

The thing is, according to that article he didn't blow through the money. He made bad investments.

Owens said financial advisers recommended by Rosenhaus lost much of his money in highly leveraged ventures, then houses and apartments he thought he could rent out in a worst case scenario became dead weight in a housing market collapse.

Owens wasn't the first person to lose tons of money in the housing market - despite my repeated warnings back about 7 years ago. ;-)

"I hate myself for letting this happen," Owens told GQ. "I believed that they had my back when they said, 'You take care of the football, and we'll do the rest.' And in the end, they just basically stole from me."

Nope, they didn't steal from you. They lead you to make bad investments.

Here's a word of advice:

1. If you have made $80 million be very conservative with your investments. If you have more than you'll ever need, why put it at risk to get even more? Unless, of course, you want to become a billionaire. If so then that's your risk/reward.

2. Diversify! You and about a million other morons put way too much in the housing market.

jkjsooner
1/26/2012, 11:28 AM
This has nothing to do with the NFL being a dud. But it has everything to due with a lack of financial education in our school system.

When a guy just blows through is money it's about financial education. When a guy makes bad investments decisions I don't think you can simply make that claim.

Investing is generally considered strong financial advice. Hell, you couldn't get more than a handful of economists to admit there was a housing bubble so I doubt more education would have solved the problem.

Other than a lack of diversification, the problem is a lack of common sense but that was true for even 90% of economists.

OULenexaman
1/26/2012, 11:57 AM
wonder how much he was payin that HO to be his spokesperson?

TUSooner
1/26/2012, 02:00 PM
Here's a word of advice:

1. If you have made $80 million be very conservative with your investments. If you have more than you'll ever need, why put it at risk to get even more? Unless, of course, you want to become a billionaire. If so then that's your risk/reward.

2. Diversify! You and about a million other morons put way too much in the housing market.

Thanks. I'll be sure to remember that next time I get $80 million.

picasso
1/26/2012, 02:44 PM
Wasn't he a college student for a while? He should have visited the Economics class.

badger
1/26/2012, 02:50 PM
Wasn't he a college student for a while? He should have visited the Economics class.

UT-Chattanooga football economics class:

1- Visit Norman.

2- Collect big check.

3- ???

4- PROFIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

C&CDean
1/26/2012, 03:07 PM
B. O. O. H. O. O.

Karma's a bitch.

Jacie
1/26/2012, 04:07 PM
This has nothing to do with the NFL being a dud. But it has everything to due with a lack of financial education in our school system. They need to teach financial education from a very young age. . . . As far as his kids go... If he was living his life right and got half custody of his kids - this wouldn't be an issue.

I was thinking that as far as his kids go, it has everything to do with a lack of sex education in our school system . . .

EatLeadCommie
1/26/2012, 05:54 PM
I don't have a lot of sympathy for TO complaining about his kids or him being taken advantage of (his agent is a notorious d-bag). However, it is pretty clear that TO has some mental problems that he needs to address or else I'll be surprised if he makes it past 40.

EatLeadCommie
1/26/2012, 05:55 PM
I was thinking that as far as his kids go, it has everything to do with a lack of sex education in our school system . . .
you mean he didn't learn the first time that if he kept it in, she might get pregnant?

8timechamps
1/26/2012, 06:12 PM
When a guy just blows through is money it's about financial education. When a guy makes bad investments decisions I don't think you can simply make that claim.

Investing is generally considered strong financial advice. Hell, you couldn't get more than a handful of economists to admit there was a housing bubble so I doubt more education would have solved the problem.

Other than a lack of diversification, the problem is a lack of common sense but that was true for even 90% of economists.

Given that the housing market had never suffered a down year prior to the collapse, there was a reason very few thought it was a dangerous investment. But, that's beside the point.

IF you want to believe that poor TO trusted his 80 mil with unsavory advisers (the very same advisers that advise all of Rosenhaus' other clients), then I think the joke's on you. TO blew through his money.

oudavid1
1/26/2012, 08:00 PM
TO seemed a lot happier when he was just having sex with women he didnt know, attracting attention to himself, and making a lot of money.

Best things in life are free bro.

picasso
1/26/2012, 09:34 PM
you mean he didn't learn the first time that if he kept it in, she might get pregnant?
This is a myth. Pullin' out isn't 100% safe. Some of those boys are released long before the O face.

StoopTroup
1/27/2012, 12:08 AM
This has nothing to do with the NFL being a dud. But it has everything to due with a lack of financial education in our school system. They need to teach financial education from a very young age. I personally agree with Rich Dad Poor Dad on this. This is the same thing that happens to many professional athletes and other entertainers, as well as people who win the lottery. If you don't have the knowledge to keep that kind of money or people around you that do you will loose it all. As far as his kids go... If he was living his life right and got half custody of his kids - this wouldn't be an issue.

They just need to hire Mitt Romney. He knows what a good investment looks like and also how to get their tax rate down to 13.9%. Why blame education when there are plenty of other options available. Just get in tight with Mitt.

Breadburner
1/27/2012, 07:20 AM
You reap what you sow.....

cleller
1/27/2012, 09:21 AM

This was not intended as the single reason the NFL is a dud, but cited as YET ANOTHER reason. You can toss TO's case on top of the other similar cases we read about every year, and mix it with all the arrests, bullets, ridiculous demands for money, chidish on-field attention getting antics, etc.
Of course if you were not exposed to the NFL of 40+ years ago, its not as evident. I just got sick of watching these TO types act like every time they catch a ball, or tackle someone the world should bow at their feet.

cleller
1/27/2012, 09:36 AM
Here's a word of advice:

If TO could have saved back 5 million of that, and stuck it in an annuity (not that I think these are so great) it would pay him just under $20,000 per month for life. Not a bad deal, if he didn't have all the child support.

StoopTroup
1/27/2012, 11:53 AM
Also....why is this on the football board? It's not really about the NFL or about anyone currently playing in the NFL. It's more about 4 gold diggers allowing some rich dude to hump them in the raw, blow his load and then them get an attorney to help them fleece him for 18 years of child support.

It's not like he didn't pay up either. Sounds like a guy who did the right thing for his kids but just can't get a job in a bad economy.

I bet all the Mothers have saved a bunch of that money he gave them for his Kids College.

badger
1/27/2012, 11:58 AM
Sounds like a guy who did the right thing for his kids but just can't get a job in a bad economy.

I have not heard that one yet for football players, but practically every other profession out there in this country, hehe.

Momma, I would be paying for my own car insurance, move out of the house, and pay back my loans, but you see, the NFL just isn't hiring right now because of this recession. I'm going to keep sending out resumes and applications to the NFL, but they just aren't hiring right now. I promise that as soon as the NFL hires me, I'll be financially independent!

I bet all the Mothers have saved a bunch of that money he gave them for his Kids College.

Oh yeah... because everyone with a sudden bump in income suddenly becomes financially responsible :D:D:D:D

StoopTroup
1/27/2012, 12:27 PM
Especially when they are out clubbing throwing the dirty leg at a millionaire.

EatLeadCommie
1/27/2012, 12:54 PM
I think it has more to do with financially educating the athletes making that kind of money in terms of what is safe and wise, etc... Financially educating kids is not going to teach them to save their money and keep from spending it all when they grow up. However, these guys making that kind of bank in their early 20s are old enough to understand and to know that maybe they should always have some kind of a nest egg laying around. I always wondered if any of these team owners make their athletes go to some kind of financial planning or training course and, if not, why not? I realize they're already paying these guys big bucks, but what's another couple hundo to throw out on a guy to give them a three hour spiel on how to budget and invest their money?

rekamrettuB
1/27/2012, 03:03 PM
It's not like he didn't pay up either. Sounds like a guy who did the right thing for his kids but just can't get a job in a bad economy.

Can't get a job? He's the #1 reciever for the Allen Wranglers and part owner.

OULenexaman
1/27/2012, 03:28 PM
then he's doing what he has always done......play attention whore.

bluedogok
1/29/2012, 11:51 AM
A bunch of financial people took a bunch of econ classes still lost their rears when everything collapsed because their greed was stronger than what common sense they might have had. T.O.'s (and many others in and out of sports) biggest problem was hiring people who thought they were smarter than they really were.