PDA

View Full Version : So I just heard that Mike Stoops contract

PalmettoSooner
1/24/2012, 07:31 PM
is 3 years 245,000 per year. Sounds like a deal.

olevetonahill
1/24/2012, 07:35 PM
LINK

PalmettoSooner
1/24/2012, 07:41 PM
LINK

http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2012/01/24/report-mike-stoops-contract-approved-3-years-245k-per/

rekamrettuB
1/24/2012, 07:48 PM
Way I understand it is basically his Zona buyout will now be reduced by the new contract amount. Therefore he would have made the same amount for 2012 to when that buyout is up so OU got a smoking deal.

olevetonahill
1/24/2012, 07:51 PM
Cool , Thanks

Boomer.....
1/24/2012, 08:12 PM
I was wondering why his contract was so low. That's great for us.

goingoneight
1/24/2012, 08:25 PM
If we win another MNC, lock. him. down.

Seriously.

PalmettoSooner
1/24/2012, 08:27 PM
If we win another MNC, lock. him. down.

Seriously.

The only question with that is does Mike want to become a HC again?

goingoneight
1/24/2012, 08:30 PM
He's still young. I don't doubt as a competitor that he just threw his arms up and said "f*ck it, I don't wanna play no more."

I'd settle for OU fielding a great AND CONSISTENT defense again.

PalmettoSooner
1/24/2012, 08:37 PM
He's still young. I don't doubt as a competitor that he just threw his arms up and said "f*ck it, I don't wanna play no more."

Amen to that.

StoopTroup
1/24/2012, 08:41 PM
Seems like making sure Mike's deal was solid was a whole lot bigger deal than Brent's as if it was such a smoking deal to get Mike....there wa obviously enough money to give Brent an increase if we were able to get rid of Martinez for nothing. I'm guessing dumping Martinez wasn't cheap and it cost us Brent even though Mike's deal looks great.

I didn't have anything against Willie as I think he might have improved the next two years if he'd had more time but getting Mike and Brent had to be a top priority so Willie was released immediately. That's obviously when things got crazy with Brent and the Clemson Deal. It would be cool to hear Bob, Mike and Brent all talk about it all someday.

StoopTroup
1/24/2012, 08:42 PM

I surely hope all whatever your expectations are....that they do come to pass.

SoonerPride
1/24/2012, 09:43 PM

Yeah, I mean a Mike Stoops lead defense was never embarrassed against OSU.

They never gave up 506 yards and 357 passing yards while looking like they'd never seen a forward pass before.

I mean, really. His defenses were beyond perfection. Always.

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/games/boxscore.cfm?GameID=1058

picasso
1/24/2012, 11:50 PM

They never gave up 506 yards and 357 passing yards while looking like they'd never seen a forward pass before.

Good lord get something new. Every detractor throws out the '02 oSu game. What say we talk about our pathetic defense that cost us a title in '08? hmmmmmmmm?

LVSOONER15
1/25/2012, 12:04 AM
That is one hell of a deal for sure.

MamaMia
1/25/2012, 12:11 AM
Just out of curiosity, what were we paying for Venables? anybody know?

Fraggle145
1/25/2012, 01:37 AM
Go back to the link. its 633K per year.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/25/2012, 07:55 AM

I always like it when someone cites only one example. You fail. And Brent Venables had one of those games at least once every year, if not twice.

Scott D
1/25/2012, 08:44 AM
Good lord get something new. Every detractor throws out the '02 oSu game. What say we talk about our pathetic defense that cost us a title in '08? hmmmmmmmm?

you mean the defense that was on the field for virtually the entire 4th quarter because the offense couldn't do anything inside the 5 yard line in every quarter leading up to the 4th?

picasso
1/25/2012, 09:00 AM
Yeah, and we got smoked on the play action at aTm that season too. But, we didn't give up long runs up the middle to average running backs ala this past season.

oumartin
1/25/2012, 10:03 AM
Well at least if Mikes teams give up some big yards in games it will be for alot cheaper.

rekamrettuB
1/25/2012, 10:15 AM
That new number sounds better. I was thinking Zona could come in and say "huh-uh".

SoonerPride
1/25/2012, 10:21 AM

How about this dud?

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/games/boxscore.cfm?GameID=1073

I'm sorry, but he fell FLAT ON HIS FACE in some crucial situations, just like Venables defenses did.

I don't think he's the answer everyone else does.

Sorry.

trey
1/25/2012, 10:22 AM

really? we didn't win a title because our offense scored a measly 14 points after averaging over 50 for the year. 2 times inside the 5 with no points is the reason for the loss, not the D.

XingTheRubicon
1/25/2012, 10:30 AM
Good gawd. Part of why Mike's defenses were so good is because Brent was there. Mike won the Big XII half the time, Brent won the Big XII half the time. Wish they were both still here.

picasso
1/25/2012, 02:39 PM
really? we didn't win a title because our offense scored a measly 14 points after averaging over 50 for the year. 2 times inside the 5 with no points is the reason for the loss, not the D.

I was talking about the Texas game. I was happy with our D against Tebow. Minus that last TD we gave up.
And Pride, I hear ya man but you can't argue the success we had when Mike was next to Bob.

goingoneight
1/25/2012, 03:03 PM

Way to bring up the point I've been making for the last five years on this board. Go you.

Now, that said... it's a different ballgame now. No fanbase spits more venom than a fanbase of a traditional power. No BV means that Mike goes under the rusty knife when we have problems now. There's no denying the Stoops/BJW/BV combo worked and worked well in the early 2000s when 11 of the 12 BIG 12 teams were still running pro sets and option attacks. Mike's defenses are going to be tested weekly now against Tech-like passers. No one is saying he'll fail... There's obvious differences between the 2000-2003 defenses than anything since in fundamentals alone. I think a lot of BV's problems in recent years have been due to poor fundamentals and guys being overwhelmed schematically. But what do I know? Well, I'm not using one game or a stat sheet to observe a problem.

cccasooner2
1/25/2012, 03:13 PM
http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2012/01/24/report-mike-stoops-contract-approved-3-years-245k-per/

From the link, the following statement was made, "I cited a report earlier today that said Mike Stoops would make $245,000 a year as OU’s new defensive coordinator. It seemed way low, but I thought it might have had something to do with his Arizona buyout.

It didn’t. Turns out that was the base salary, and the reporter neglected to add the personal services/fundraising portion.

Splashing in that measly $355,000, Stoops will make $600,000 in 2012."

What is the separate personal services/fundraising contract with OU all about? Is the $245,000/yr for coaching and the $355,000 for hobnobbing? Anyone care to enlighten me? (I know, that's a dangerous question. :D )

colleyvillesooner
1/25/2012, 03:48 PM
And Pride, I hear ya man but you can't argue the success we had when Mike and Brent were next to Bob.

FIFY. We'll see now how this 2/3rds does compared to the other 2/3rds.

SoonerSpock
1/25/2012, 06:01 PM
Just out of curiosity, what were we paying for Venables? anybody know?

Venables was being paid $440k plus a $25K bonus to each assistant if OU finished in the top 5 for a total annual compensation potential of $465K. Also none of the OU existing assistants had a multi-year contract.

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\My Documents\OU Documents\OU 2011-OSU 2011 assistant coaches salaries.mht

Mike's contract of $600K for 3 years is a significant increase in coaching salaries. OU is paying Mike 36% more than they were paying Brent plus OU is committed for 3 years instead of 1 year.

More importantly extending will probably result in OU finding it necessary to offer multi-year contracts on future contracts with the other assistants as this is common at many schools including Texas and OSU. For certain the assistant coaches' agents will be making that request

trey
1/25/2012, 07:05 PM
I was talking about the Texas game. I was happy with our D against Tebow. Minus that last TD we gave up.

then what title are you talking about when you say our pathetic defense cost us a title in '08?

VA Sooner
1/25/2012, 07:06 PM
Got a bargain there. Let's see how that translates to the field.

Good that Kish is along for the ride as well... we'll see what that means long-term.

8timechamps
1/25/2012, 09:54 PM
Anyone care to enlighten me?

Must.

Walk.

Away.

picasso
1/25/2012, 10:14 PM
then what title are you talking about when you say our pathetic defense cost us a title in '08?
Yeah we got into the BCS game but our D WAS pathetic that season. Look up the defensive stats in Stoops tenure.

BoulderSooner79
1/25/2012, 10:16 PM
And Pride, I hear ya man but you can't argue the success we had when Mike was next to Bob.

The Texas game didn't cost us a title - we ended the regular season BCS #1. In fact, that game didn't even count. Just ask any horn fan; although they will word it differently. "What!? Did that game not even count for anything?!!" Yes, Mr. Horn, it didn't count. At least it didn't count as much as your horns spitting the bit against taco tech. But since you're such a good sport about it, you can visit our big12 trophy from that season if you'd like.

trey
1/26/2012, 10:44 AM
Yeah we got into the BCS game but our D WAS pathetic that season. Look up the defensive stats in Stoops tenure.

1 more time....what title did our D cost us in 2008?

StoopTroup
1/26/2012, 04:25 PM

Mike was sick that day....It was Venables making the calls....lol

StoopTroup
1/26/2012, 04:31 PM
1 more time....what title did our D cost us in 2008?

It cost us a National Championship.

The Offense did too.

phlorida outscored us and kept us from scoring in that game and we didn't win on offense or Defense that day. It sucks but....once the offense couldn't score....it left our Defense hanging in the wind again just like it has for the last 10 Seasons.

We lack having a perfect Season like we did in 2000. It's sometimes the Offense that's let us down....it's sometimes the defense. In 2008...it was both. We had a pretty good defense but it didn't hold Tebow and his bunch of clowns to a shut out like we did to FSU in 2000.

SoonerinSouthlake
1/29/2012, 10:14 PM
you mean the defense that was on the field for virtually the entire 4th quarter because the offense couldn't do anything inside the 5 yard line in every quarter leading up to the 4th?

yep...thats the one!

;-)