PDA

View Full Version : Senior Bowl Notes

stoops the eternal pimp
1/24/2012, 01:19 PM
Jamell Fleming had a great 1st day of practice...Looked good in his turns..good hips and covered well..On the up for today..

Brandon Weeden showed off his big time arm and accuracy..big decision to make with him for a team..age vs ability..Very little wear and tear on his body though

Not so good for Kellen Moore(which is no surprise to me)...He has a lot of fundamental issues and only measure 5'11, 190...Russell Wilson only measured 5'10 but looked alright throwing the ball..

Curly Bill
1/24/2012, 01:21 PM
Thanks STEP. Always like your superb insight! :)

stoops the eternal pimp
1/24/2012, 01:21 PM
btw, Fleming measured 5"10, 202...6'3 219 for Weeden, 6' 203 for Markell Martin

OULenexaman
1/24/2012, 01:23 PM
weird how these guy's suddenly shrink.....did Weeden shrink any?

Curly Bill
1/24/2012, 01:24 PM
btw, Fleming measured 5"10, 202...

Now to go run a 4.5! What round you thinking he could go?

Boomer.....
1/24/2012, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the updates!

Curly Bill
1/24/2012, 01:40 PM

Most of em shrink AND get slower. It is weird how that works. ;)

badger
1/24/2012, 01:52 PM
Brandon Weeden showed off his big time arm and accuracy..big decision to make with him for a team..age vs ability..Very little wear and tear on his body though

I could see the Packers pick him up, because I think we're going to lose Matt Flynn to either the Dolphins or one of a vast array of teams that need a quarterback that doesn't suck. The guy that used to be at Tech (Graham?) is our third-stringer right now and I don't think he's good enough to be Rodgers' backup. I know, I'm greedy :D

If we can get Old Man Weeden* in the third or fourth round, that would be a good spot to take Flynn's successor as Rodgers' backup.

*Two months older than Aaron Rodgers

stoops the eternal pimp
1/24/2012, 02:04 PM
I just don't think he is going to be available that late...I could be wrong and maybe another QB will step up besides the top 2 somewhere..But I don't think so

badger
1/24/2012, 02:16 PM
I just don't think he is going to be available that late...I could be wrong and maybe another QB will step up besides the top 2 somewhere..But I don't think so

Top two.. I assume you mean Luck and RG3?

How bout this for QBs that could go before Old Man Weeden?

1- Texas A&M's Tanny
2- Arizona's Foles
3- Meatchicken State's Cousins (once again, eff you for taking Keith Nichols starting spot!)
4- Hoo-stin's Case Keennnieeee
5- Wisky's Russell Wison
6- Whoever Arizona State's guy was
7- Bucktoothed Boise kid
8- LSU's Jordan Jefferson
9- The guy that succeeeded Tebow at Florida
10- That Northwestern guy... Persa?

Are these guys all draft-eligible? I have no idea. Just some names that come to mind.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/24/2012, 02:18 PM
1 probably..
2 or 6. 50/50
the rest..no way

stoops the eternal pimp
1/24/2012, 02:22 PM
Also, I've heard to mention this a couple of times about Keith Nichol..Nichol wanted to play WR.....It was basically his choice after seeing the team needed him at WR.

picasso
1/24/2012, 02:43 PM
I do believe they measure them shoeless in big time ball.

OULenexaman
1/24/2012, 03:24 PM
I still wanna know if Weeden had shrinkage.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/24/2012, 03:34 PM
He's at the age..

OkieThunderLion
1/24/2012, 07:11 PM

Fleming measured in at 5' 10 5/8" and 202. He was listed at OU as 5' 11" and 191.

Seems pretty legits to me!

OkieThunderLion
1/24/2012, 07:12 PM
Not so good for Kellen Moore(which is no surprise to me)...He has a lot of fundamental issues and only measure 5'11, 190
He can't throw. Plain and simple. Being 5-11 is just the final nail in proverbial coffin.

kevpks
1/24/2012, 08:55 PM
Things look to be going Fleming's way. He had some great exposure in the Bowl game and things look good in the Senior Bowl. If he has a good combine he could really shoot up the boards.

picasso
1/24/2012, 11:54 PM
Fleming measured in at 5' 10 5/8" and 202. He was listed at OU as 5' 11" and 191.

Seems pretty legits to me!
Yes, theys legits!

badger
1/25/2012, 08:21 AM
Yes, theys legits!

OU is not a school to inflate measurables as much as... say... Texas. Or SEC schools on their 40 times. They must start their stopwatches after 10 yards on some of em :P

stoops the eternal pimp
1/25/2012, 09:41 AM
Lots of good talk going on about Fleming..seems to be the DB to watch...hips, physical play, could be a round earlier by the end of the week.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/25/2012, 09:43 AM
And I always try and give you guys some players you may have never heard of to pay attention to...Put BJ Coleman down, quarterback from UT-Chattanooga

stoops the eternal pimp
1/25/2012, 12:06 PM
Man this Boise State FS George Iloka, 6'3 220, could be a beast for someone...Great range, cover skills not great but has the ability to learn...Moving up quickly

stoops the eternal pimp
1/25/2012, 12:08 PM
If Fleming can show off at the combine, potential to be mid/late 2nd rd to early 3rd...

stoops the eternal pimp
1/25/2012, 12:10 PM
More good stuff from Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins from Mich State...Moore keeps sinking his own ship...

I've heard the San Diego folks are interested in Wilson in a backup role. Quality BU for you Charger fans...

swardboy
1/25/2012, 12:23 PM
Also, I've heard to mention this a couple of times about Keith Nichol..Nichol wanted to play WR.....It was basically his choice after seeing the team needed him at WR.

Speaking of which, is Nichols on the radar for the draft?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/25/2012, 12:27 PM
Speaking of which, is Nichols on the radar for the draft?

No, he isn't....I don't have him in my top 10 and I haven't seen him in a top 20 or 30 either..

swardboy
1/25/2012, 12:29 PM
Too bad. You have to wonder how things would have worked out for him had he chosen MSU over OU.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/25/2012, 12:41 PM
Yeah I know..But I have a feeling he will be on the sidelines of some school, Probably Michigan State, very soon..

stoops the eternal pimp
1/25/2012, 03:20 PM
Something I was interested to see..Brandon Weeden did really well under center...good feet, good drop, guy is doing himself a lot of good

stoops the eternal pimp
1/25/2012, 03:30 PM
Another name you may not know..Janoris Jenkins from North Alabama...This kid is putting on a show...tough in the 1v1s, totally blowing them up in press coverage.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/25/2012, 05:03 PM
Senior bowl is a big gathering of NFL coaches, owners, GMs and others...some interesting info can be overheard like:

The Dolphins are going to make a huge push to try and score Peyton Manning

SoonerAtKU
1/25/2012, 05:11 PM
I just KNEW I remembered the name Janoris Jenkins. He played for Florida for a few years, including the Championship Game after 2008. Part of Urban Meyers "failed rehabilitation program".

cccasooner2
1/25/2012, 06:09 PM
I just KNEW I remembered the name Janoris Jenkins. He played for Florida for a few years, including the Championship Game after 2008. Part of Urban Meyers "failed rehabilitation program".

Yep, started at one of the CB positions for the Gators.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/26/2012, 09:13 AM
Yup, btw my top 6 corners as of today

1. Morris Clayborne LSU
2. Dre Kilpatrick Ala
3. Stephen Gilmore South Car.
4. Janoris Jenkins North Alabama
5. Alfonzo Dennard Nebraska
6. Jamell Fleming..you know where he is from

CowboyMRW
1/26/2012, 09:30 AM
Do you think Martin will be the 2nd safety taken?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/26/2012, 09:38 AM
Right now yes...Mark Barron, then Martin...His name competition is the SS from Boise Iloka and the FS from LSU, Taylor I think..But I think he has practiced well enough this week to still hold that spot.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/26/2012, 09:43 AM
Jets coaches have been chatting it up with Weeden btw..

stoops the eternal pimp
1/26/2012, 09:53 AM
The Dallas Cowboys have interviewed Fleming..word is he is one of the best interviews this week...They've shown interest in Dennard, Jenkins, and Fleming.

Curly Bill
1/26/2012, 09:58 AM
The Cowboys could certainly use a corner...or two or three. Not to mention some safety help.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/26/2012, 10:09 AM
Yeah, they've missed opportunities to address that need the last couple of years for some reason...

Curly Bill
1/26/2012, 10:25 AM
Yeah, they've missed opportunities to address that need the last couple of years for some reason...

Because the guy calling the shots is an old fool?

ouleaf
1/26/2012, 10:35 AM
The Cowboys could certainly use a corner...or two or three. Not to mention some safety help.

Definitely will be the case when they finally release Newman....has to be their number 1 priority, but will be interesting to see how long they wait to draft one....still need help in a lot of other areas like interior OL, LB, and DL.

OULenexaman
1/26/2012, 11:50 AM
and a real GM.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/26/2012, 04:14 PM
Nearly all the coaches, scouts, and gm's have cleared out of the Senior Bowl...No one cares about the actual game

Jamell Fleming showed himself to be a nice cover 2 corner..played physical again, tough against the WRs

OULenexaman
1/26/2012, 04:55 PM
Story in KC was Phil Emery was telling everyone he was going to be the Bears GM....

sooneredaco
1/26/2012, 05:11 PM

The cowboys could use a lot of things. IMO they need a different QB

Scott D
1/26/2012, 07:27 PM
Cowboys need Weeden. He's already an upgrade to the slacker in that role now.

usmc-sooner
1/26/2012, 07:29 PM
I don't trust STEP, how does he know so much about stuff. :biggrin:

Is Flemming the only Sooner in the Sr. Bowls any others in the other games?

CowboyMRW
1/26/2012, 08:05 PM

I hate Dallas, but a new QB is the least of their worries right now.

Curly Bill
1/27/2012, 08:32 AM
I hate Dallas, but a new QB is the least of their worries right now.

I'm a Cowboys fan, but yep on the last part of what you said.

ouleaf
1/27/2012, 10:06 AM

Tony was not the problem this season and they wouldn't even be able to get anyone better than him in here next season, so the QB position is set for next year for the Cowboys.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/27/2012, 03:00 PM
I don't trust STEP, how does he know so much about stuff. :biggrin:

Is Flemming the only Sooner in the Sr. Bowls any others in the other games?

Stephenson and Lewis received some invites to stuff, but I don't think they are doing any of the games..just the combine..

starclassic tama
1/27/2012, 03:20 PM
how bad has travis lewis' draft stock been hurt by this year? i remember he was being talked about as a potential first round pick at the beginning of the year... i wonder where he ends up?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/27/2012, 03:28 PM
I've got him as the 6th best OLB prospect behind Ronnell Lewis....

And I still have Travis in the 3rd round...I think that's where I had him before.

And even weirder, I have a sense he'll be a better pro than a college player.

badger
1/27/2012, 03:39 PM
I've got him as the 6th best OLB prospect behind Ronnell Lewis....

And I still have Travis in the 3rd round...I think that's where I had him before.

And even weirder, I have a sense he'll be a better pro than a college player.

Be honest STEP... do you have an OU bias when it comes to NFL prospects? :)

And by that, do you usually project them higher than they end up getting drafted?

It's OK if you do and I'm not trying to accuse you of Mel Kipering your projections as a favor to friendly agents.

I also think Travis' game will bode well in the Neffel, if for no other reason than fans LOVE jawwing and celebratory d-men. Clay Matthews doing his muscle thing... Ray Lewis screaming as his name is announced in pregame and during warmup huddles... Jared Allen's d00shebag sack dance... etc.

SoonerTerry
1/27/2012, 03:55 PM
... Jared Allen's d00shebag sack dance... etc.

Damn Baj, whatcha got against the Vikings? ;)

SoonerTerry
1/27/2012, 03:58 PM
STEP, next year I wanna watch the senior bowl at your house.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/27/2012, 04:09 PM
STEP, next year I wanna watch the senior bowl at your house.

HAHA...Ask vet what's it's like to watch a football game with me :)

Me: Look at that!
others: What?
Me: That lineman, he's got his arms up too wide!
others: that's what you see on a TD pass?

And Badger, I have to say with all honesty, I don't have any bias towards OU players involved in the NFL draft..maybe the opposite...Even though I am called "Bob Stoops" by the guys I work with...which I love

I can't..I have to brutally honest..In fact, I've taken heat on this board and other Sooner boards because of my outlook on some Sooners... I usually do a pretty good job of separating fandom from reality.

badger
1/27/2012, 04:30 PM
Damn Baj, whatcha got against the Vikings? ;)

You're right, it's not like they threaten to take the NFC North away from Green Bay or anything. They're like the new Detroit Lions of the division :)

They're even a one-player team like the Barry Sanders Lions :D

They're even crashing and burning during/after their legend retired like the Barry Sanders Lions :P

Gimme a few mins and I'll think of more ways to insult Minnesota... or wherever the Vikings end up when the Craprodome caves in on them again :eek:

And STEP, it's all good... it makes sense to look a little bit more scrutinied-like at your own team, especially considering the characters we've got on this board that complain about 10-win bowl win seasons.

Scott D
1/27/2012, 08:53 PM

And Badger, I have to say with all honesty, I don't have any bias towards OU players involved in the NFL draft..maybe the opposite...Even though I am called "Bob Stoops" by the guys I work with...which I love

I can't..I have to brutally honest..In fact, I've taken heat on this board and other Sooner boards because of my outlook on some Sooners... I usually do a pretty good job of separating fandom from reality.

If it wasn't for the Mrs., you shoulda gotten Vet's other ticket for the game I was at. I was doing the same stuff with the guy two seats down on some of those plays.

Collier11
1/27/2012, 10:21 PM
STEPs old lady drafts him as Mr. Irrelevant every day

Okie35
1/27/2012, 11:03 PM
I'm happy for Jamell. I heard he's the best corner there and it isn't even close.

cccasooner2
1/28/2012, 04:11 PM
Flemming strips ball 3rd play Sr Bowl.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/28/2012, 04:19 PM
I'm happy for Jamell. I heard he's the best corner there and it isn't even close.

Jenkins is 1st and Boykin/Fleming tied for 2nd....great week though

Jenkins is a 1st round pick now

8timechamps
1/28/2012, 05:31 PM
As a side note, Weeden didn't look too great.

Jamell looked really good, although I think he's done for the day. Given that the coaching staffs for both sides are NFL staffs, and Flemming was selected to start the game, I think that his draft stock is rising. Second round maybe?

starclassic tama
1/28/2012, 05:41 PM
As a side note, Weeden didn't look too great.

Jamell looked really good, although I think he's done for the day. Given that the coaching staffs for both sides are NFL staffs, and Flemming was selected to start the game, I think that his draft stock is rising. Second round maybe?i think he has done all he can do before the draft to improve his stock except for the combine. that will decide whether he sneaks into the second round, or is a 3rd-4th round type guy. he needs a sub 4.5 40 yard dash

oumartin
1/28/2012, 05:58 PM
Flemming has been one on one with Joe Adams who has 100 yards receiving.. Yep, great job
He just got burnt and had a penalty

JiminyChristmas
1/28/2012, 06:04 PM
Fleming was not out there for all of Joe Adams catches.

StoopTroup
1/28/2012, 06:11 PM
Gannaway looks like a sand dollar when he hits that defensive line.

StoopTroup
1/28/2012, 06:53 PM
Beautiful pass from Weeden to Fleming.

I think the Senior Bowl will kick start Weedens Career in Arena Football.

olevetonahill
1/28/2012, 07:50 PM

If it wasn't for the Mrs., you shoulda gotten Vet's other ticket for the game I was at. I was doing the same stuff with the guy two seats down on some of those plays.

LOve watchin Games wit the STEP

Gave 2 tickets to another Poster and Just had the one fer STEP
Still had a Great time

stoops the eternal pimp
1/28/2012, 07:52 PM
No NFL team is going to make a decision because of the game...They've been with these players, some since Sunday, working, running, going over techniques, doing a lot of 7 on 7s...Fleming has moved into the 2-3 round range with a lot, like mentioned earlier, hanging on his 40...He is a cover 2 NFL corner, so it'll be with someone running that defense..

These coaches are loving Weeden..Some think he has potentially moved himself into the late 1st round with his play this week...Going well under center, strong arm..Great week for him..

The Iowa State corner was on Adams a lot today...I remember him getting burned and getting a flag..I didn't watch closely though

olevetonahill
1/28/2012, 08:14 PM
Glad Weeedeater is Gone
Hope fer the Best fer himin the Pros

Eielson
1/28/2012, 08:18 PM
These coaches are loving Weeden..Some think he has potentially moved himself into the late 1st round with his play this week...Going well under center, strong arm..Great week for him..

Do they love him, or hate everybody else? He seems a bit old to spend a first rounder on.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/28/2012, 08:34 PM
Miami, Washington...They love him and aren't high on anyone else...Gil Brandt is convinced by the time it's all over, Ryan Tannehill will be a top 15 pick and Osweiler will be competing for that spot with Weeden...But there is nothing to not like about Weeden except his age...GM's perspective, if they can get 6-7 years out of him...What other team is getting 6-7 years out of the quarterback they draft at a younger age?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/28/2012, 08:39 PM
I think Osweiler is the big question of this year's draft...

Collier11
1/28/2012, 08:47 PM
Flemming has been one on one with Joe Adams who has 100 yards receiving.. Yep, great job

Fleming was not out there for all of Joe Adams catches.

lol

BoulderSooner79
1/28/2012, 09:11 PM
Do they love him, or hate everybody else? He seems a bit old to spend a first rounder on.

The age thing is not that big a deal. Not many QB end up playing 10+ years in the NFL. A team would be happy if they got a 5 year starter out of a draft pick.

StoopTroup
1/29/2012, 12:45 AM
I could be wrong. Weeden might do really well in the CFL.

I'd draft Fleming as a WR in the 1st round if I thought Weeden was throwing to him to make him look good. I don't think that's what happened though so I'd probably go with Fleming as a 1st round Corner.

Okie35
1/29/2012, 09:47 AM
Jenkins is 1st and Boykin/Fleming tied for 2nd....great week though

Jenkins is a 1st round pick now

JJ was already a first round talent before the Senior Bowl. If he would've left last year (minus the trouble he got into) he would've been first round too. Fleming is jumping up on boards now though and I'm happy for him.

Jenoris Jenkins got burned for a TD no big deal.

ouleaf
1/30/2012, 09:37 AM
Gil Brandt is convinced by the time it's all over, Ryan Tannehill will be a top 15 pick and

"The late, great Gil Brandt" as Deion would say.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/30/2012, 09:47 AM
JJ was already a first round talent before the Senior Bowl. If he would've left last year (minus the trouble he got into) he would've been first round too. Fleming is jumping up on boards now though and I'm happy for him.

Jenoris Jenkins got burned for a TD no big deal.

He was a 1st round talent but not a 1st round pick until this last week..his interviews pushed him back up as most are convinced his problem days are over with...

StoopTroup
1/30/2012, 10:59 AM
I'm gonna predict that Weeden will get picked off so much in the NFL that Secondary Players will send him Thank You Cards the week after they play him. Jimmy Fallon will hire Weeden to help him read his Thank You cards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDsNx_nA50U

SoonerAtKU
1/30/2012, 11:24 AM
STEP, did you ever post about how you got into evaluation?

StoopTroup
1/30/2012, 11:34 AM
STEP, did you ever post about how you got into evaluation?

I know! You should see him at work when he's really breaking it down....It's creepy and he's damn good at it. :D

http://sinhlredlight.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/crystal-ball.jpg

stoops the eternal pimp
1/30/2012, 11:41 AM
Yeah...Back in 2002, I had wrote some stuff just concerning potential Sooners in the draft..Had contributed to a few websites..Get a call on draft day from a guy in Maine who had worked with Kiper..He started a company and wanted me to do the Big 12 which turned into me doing the big 12 for the AFC North teams at different points..I eventually added on the SWAC to the Big 12..Did some SEC stuff..Began to concentrate on getting workouts/exposure for smaller school players..The company I was working with began to focus on working for agents instead of teams, so I got out of it for a while...Worked again some last year and another guy I worked started another company..Considering going back into it hard core, but the money isn't great..

SoonerAtKU
1/30/2012, 11:52 AM
It does seem like it'd be something you do "for love of the game" and not to get rich.

Thanks for sharing. It's always fun to get to hear this sort of thing from someone who is good enough at it to get paid. =)

StoopTroup
1/30/2012, 12:26 PM
Yeah...Back in 2002, I had wrote some stuff just concerning potential Sooners in the draft..Had contributed to a few websites..Get a call on draft day from a guy in Maine who had worked with Kiper..He started a company and wanted me to do the Big 12 which turned into me doing the big 12 for the AFC North teams at different points..I eventually added on the SWAC to the Big 12..Did some SEC stuff..Began to concentrate on getting workouts/exposure for smaller school players..The company I was working with began to focus on working for agents instead of teams, so I got out of it for a while...Worked again some last year and another guy I worked started another company..Considering going back into it hard core, but the money isn't great..

You had me at "Yeah"....

Seriously....you know I wish you success in that. Maybe the money will come along someday. That's hard though that what you love doesn't pay well. Blogging and PR seems to be where things are going. Nobody wants to hire anyone anymore and everyone wants you for free if they can get you to work for them.

OULenexaman
1/30/2012, 12:41 PM
The Bears scouting dept. is completely bare right now....Emery just cleaned some out this AM....

stoops the eternal pimp
2/3/2012, 07:10 PM
Some interesting stuff so I'll add it here:

The Raiders are going to a zone blocking scheme which what McFadden struggled with in the past...I'm hearing he is going to be on the trading block pre draft

And almost seems for certain that the Rams, if they don't trade down, are going to take Matt Kalil with the 2nd pick...Washington really wants that 2nd pick also..

Scott D
2/7/2012, 04:47 PM
As much as I hate losing McFadden, his injury history probably makes it a good move. Now if we can score a first rounder in a package for him I'm even more for it. Somehow I doubt we'll get that.