PDA

View Full Version : Tim Thomas has huge cajones!

SoonerStormchaser
1/23/2012, 04:29 PM
So Obama invites the Boston Bruins to the WH for a celebration for winning the Cup...and their Conn Smythe tropy-winning goalie says "no way!"

http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/_/id/7493826/barack-obama-honors-stanley-cup-champion-boston-bruins-tim-thomas-no-show

badger
1/23/2012, 04:36 PM
08bAl2bqb0w

He has huge cajones... because he rides in Boston cabs. :)

Not because he declines Obama invites to the White House. Other athletes have already done it, not just to Obama, but to other presidents.

ictsooner7
1/23/2012, 09:03 PM
08bAl2bqb0w

He has huge cajones... because he rides in Boston cabs. :)

Not because he declines Obama invites to the White House. Other athletes have already done it, not just to Obama, but to other presidents.

You have to remember it's not only ok to insult the president when he is a democrat, it's encouraged. But insult a tea party member or the right and get banned.

47straight
1/24/2012, 12:36 AM
Tim Thomas is a racist because he didn't want to meet Obama and he plays hockey.

FIF what you really wanted to say.

SicEmBaylor
1/24/2012, 12:40 AM
I think it was highly inappropriate.

I can't stand the SOB, but if Obama invited me to the White House then I'd sure as hell show up and be respectful.

OULenexaman
1/24/2012, 09:24 AM
So which one is it Sic....do you hate the SOB or do you wanna shake his hand and be all respectful to him....grow some.....I applaud Tim Thomas for staying firm on his stance.

badger
1/24/2012, 09:35 AM
I think it was highly inappropriate.

I can't stand the SOB, but if Obama invited me to the White House then I'd sure as hell show up and be respectful.

Yeah, there's "I hate your politics," and then there's "You're the president of my country."

And when Tim Thomas is one of the few Americans on the Boston Bruins team, he probably had a bit of civic duty to at least make an appearance, even if it was while wearing an "I HEART GLENN BECK" t-shirt while there. :D

pphilfran
1/24/2012, 09:42 AM
It was a team event...

okie52
1/24/2012, 09:53 AM
You have to remember it's not only ok to insult the president when he is a democrat, it's encouraged. But insult a tea party member or the right and get banned.

Ictsooner7-have you been banned from this board before?

Curly Bill
1/24/2012, 09:55 AM
So which one is it Sic....do you hate the SOB or do you wanna shake his hand and be all respectful to him....grow some.....I applaud Tim Thomas for staying firm on his stance.

This ^^^^^

okie52
1/24/2012, 10:04 AM
I don't think I'd ever be accused of liking Obama but I would have attended the event.

The office of the Presidency deserves that respect. Hell, I'd like to go to some events at the white house regardless of who is president.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/24/2012, 11:36 AM
I agree with Sic'Em. I don't like Obama as a President, but if I'm invited to the White House I have enough respect for the office that I'm going to show up and be respectful.

OULenexaman
1/24/2012, 02:09 PM
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/tim-thomas-white-house-6643498

I go along with the thought of
the Office Of The Presidency needs to respect us more.

Soonerjeepman
1/24/2012, 02:15 PM
I respect the office of the President...but I also wouldn't go, I'd decline respectfully....to me it's not a matter of "respecting the office of the President" it's more of showing/not showing support to HIS presidency...

course I'm sure if some liberal did it to a conservative president it'd be ok because he has a right to his own thoughts and actions...

SicEmBaylor
1/24/2012, 02:19 PM

I can hate the SOB while being respectful by accepting an invitation to the White House.

Curly Bill
1/24/2012, 03:15 PM
I can hate the SOB while being respectful by accepting an invitation to the White House.

I'd go to the White House if I didn't have to see the first couple. I'd like go use the same restroom that Forrest Gump did, you know..just to say I did.

Mississippi Sooner
1/24/2012, 03:22 PM
I'd go to the White House if I didn't have to see the first couple. I'd like go use the same restroom that Forrest Gump did, you know..just to say I did.

"I think he said he had to go pee."

OULenexaman
1/24/2012, 03:28 PM
I'd go to the White House if I didn't have to see the first couple. I'd like go use the same restroom that Forrest Gump did, you know..just to say I did. See the room where Jack did Marilyn.....that should be a sacred room.

SoonerProphet
1/24/2012, 03:31 PM
Some folks are pieces of sh*t who can't get past partisan hackery.

Curly Bill
1/24/2012, 03:33 PM
I like my partisan hackery with just a little bit of butter on it.

SoonerTerry
1/24/2012, 03:55 PM
I don't agree with his politics but I do respect his accomplishment and what it means for our country to have it's first black president. Hell I'd like to sit down to dinner with him and talk about just exactly what it means.

SoonerTerry
1/24/2012, 03:56 PM

Did you get banned?

reflector
1/24/2012, 03:57 PM
Tim Thomas was one of the people to get me most excited leading up to the last Winter Olympics. Ryan Miller played goalie for most of that Olympics, but Tim Thomas did a lot of press for Olympic hockey before they began. I know that is not really what the thread is about, but this video got me excited for the US Team last time. The US team won the Silver in 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkXJ47dkGIM

TUSooner
1/24/2012, 04:20 PM
It takes balls to be rude? I think it's nothing more than rude and disrespectful of the office. But I suppose we all have the right to be that way.

I wouldn't praise him for being ballsy, though, because dissing Obama is today's right-wing "chic"; it's a cheap fad. It will get him more praise from the RW zombies than it will get criticism from anyone else.

TUSooner
1/24/2012, 04:21 PM
By the way, the word is C-O-J-O-N-E-S

OU68
1/24/2012, 04:25 PM
I don't agree with his politics but I do respect his accomplishment and what it means for our country to have it's first black president. Hell I'd like to sit down to dinner with him and talk about just exactly what it means.

Mulatto to be correct.

virginiasooner
1/24/2012, 05:05 PM
Tim Thomas is a world-class jerk. He's also one of those "sovereign citizen" morons, who think that all government is evil and should be banned. Who got a hockey scholarship to Michigan (a state school). Who plays hockey in an arena funded by taxpayers. Who was the goalie for Team USA at the Vancouver Olympics. He's a complete and total idiot who turned a nice tradition into something political (which it wasn't). He embarrassed his teammates, his coaches, and the team owner. I hope the Boston fans boo him constantly. I hope he gets sent down to the minors to stew a bit. Oh, and if you hate this country so much, give back your silver metal. And when Sidney Crosby gets healthy, I'll be cheering on the Penguins whenever they play the Bruins. And I hope that Crosby scores a ton of game winning goals (like he did in Vancouver) against this mental midget.

Turd_Ferguson
1/24/2012, 06:57 PM
Mulatto to be correct.Werd.

East Coast Bias
1/24/2012, 07:32 PM
I think all you rednecks would go to the Whitehouse if asked.....

SoonerAtKU
1/25/2012, 03:00 PM
I'm a Bruins fan and a Tim Thomas fan, but this is stupid. Show up, shake the hand, pose for the picture, and go back to stopping shots. Your job is to play a game, go do that and then comment after your career is over.

I wonder if he's happy to stand up and count himself as a 1%er? That might give him some idea of how closely he stands with the other people who hold his beliefs.

SoonerAtKU
1/25/2012, 03:02 PM
For the record, I also think it was incredibly stupid when Alec Baldwin and Tim Robbins and everyone else threatened to leave the US if Bush won a second term. This is somewhat worse because Thomas was an invited guest supposed to participate in an historic tradition.

He has every right to do it, but I have the right to think it's self-centered and rude.

TitoMorelli
1/25/2012, 03:12 PM
I don't mind his choosing not to attend. But just say you have personal reasons or prior commitments. No need to make an issue of it.

TUSooner
1/25/2012, 03:17 PM
You what this reminds me of?

This:
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/6182/220pxcarlossmith.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/198/220pxcarlossmith.jpg/)

Back in the olden days, the 1960s and 1970s, it was only the leftists who were always protesting about something and thinking they had to make statements to prove how righteously angry they were. I didn't like it then or now.

TUSooner
1/25/2012, 03:18 PM
I don't mind his choosing not to attend. But just say you have personal reasons or prior commitments. No need to make an issue of it.

Yeah, but the statement is what the whole thing is about.

TUSooner
1/25/2012, 03:56 PM
I'm a Bruins fan and a Tim Thomas fan, but this is stupid. Show up, shake the hand, pose for the picture, and go back to stopping shots. Your job is to play a game, go do that and then comment after your career is over.

I wonder if he's happy to stand up and count himself as a 1%er? That might give him some idea of how closely he stands with the other people who hold his beliefs.

Maybe he expects to win the Cup again when we have a more acceptable Pres.?

SoonerAtKU
1/25/2012, 04:32 PM
Hell, if he's consistent and they win the cup again this year, he's going to have to decline next year as well, regardless of who the president is.

Unless it's Ron Paul, if I understand his views correctly.

TUSooner
1/25/2012, 04:57 PM
Hell, if he's consistent and they win the cup again this year, he's going to have to decline next year as well, regardless of who the president is.

Unless it's Ron Paul, if I understand his views correctly.
Heh. That's what I was thinking.

I like the Habs. They'll never get invited to the White House even if they win, no matter who is Prez. (And at this rate they will never win the Cup again anyway .....

SoonerAtKU
1/25/2012, 04:59 PM
It's beyond strange to me that the most historically successful hockey team of all time has been largely irrelevant since 1993. I guess Patrick Roy really WAS that good.

If I wasn't a Bruins fan, I'd be a Habs fan. They're the other original 6 team that I can stand.

virginiasooner
1/26/2012, 01:23 PM
You what this reminds me of?

This:
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/6182/220pxcarlossmith.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/198/220pxcarlossmith.jpg/)

Back in the olden days, the 1960s and 1970s, it was only the leftists who were always protesting about something and thinking they had to make statements to prove how righteously angry they were. I didn't like it then or now.

Hardly. Smith and Carlos (not to mention Aussie Peter Norman) are HEROES. They were protesting racism. Tim Thomas was protesting that a black man is in the White House, and that black man isn't holding his coat.

SoonerAtKU
1/26/2012, 03:46 PM
That's pretty unfair. At no point has Tim Thomas ever done or said anything that indicates he might be racist. He's a conservative guy and a tea-partier, it appears. That doesn't make him a racist, even if there are some racist undertones that have come out of some tea party events.

badger
1/26/2012, 04:30 PM
Hardly. Smith and Carlos (not to mention Aussie Peter Norman) are HEROES. They were protesting racism. Tim Thomas was protesting that a black man is in the White House, and that black man isn't holding his coat.

Actually, Tim hasn't really said why he didn't go to the White House, has he? It was just rumors and stuff involving his political mindset, love of Glenn Beck, etc. and that he was going to say why on his Facebook later.

TUSooner
1/26/2012, 05:00 PM
I say you are wrong on both ends. You have a slightly colorable (no pun) argument that Carlos and Smith had cause for protesting (though it's certainly more complex than you suggest). But you call Thomas a racist without a trace of evidence; not even close to right with that slur.

SoonerAtKU
1/26/2012, 05:25 PM
Actually, Tim hasn't really said why he didn't go to the White House, has he? It was just rumors and stuff involving his political mindset, love of Glenn Beck, etc. and that he was going to say why on his Facebook later.

"I believe the federal government has grown out of control, threatening the rights, liberties, and property of the people,"

"This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country,"

Per Facebook

LiveLaughLove
1/26/2012, 10:55 PM
He has the right to not go, and shouldn't be castigated for it.

I would have went in a heartbeat and I think Obama is about as low as it goes, however.

It's not every day that you get to go to the White House and meet the President.

SoonerAtKU
1/27/2012, 09:55 AM
I agree, I would have shaken Nixon's hand and called him Mr. President had I, you know, been alive and an athlete winning a championship. Or whatever.