PDA

View Full Version : Sams hire Shottenheimer for OC

Lott's Bandana
1/23/2012, 03:27 PM
Gee, look what he did for Sanchez.

Not thrilled.

http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rams-Hire-Schottenheimer-as-Offensive-Coordinator/e606bf10-c818-4d28-b98d-19592b939fe5

BoulderSooner79
1/23/2012, 04:23 PM
I read that I thought "oh, crap". I just hope it turns out better than McDaniels because I definitely think that Sam regressed under him. Maybe the Jets' offense was just hampered by Sanchez and the weird Ryan vibe? (please).

EatLeadCommie
1/23/2012, 04:59 PM
3rd OC in 3 years.

SoonerNutt
1/23/2012, 05:16 PM
Shottenheimer is 69 years old. That is all.

VA Sooner
1/23/2012, 05:23 PM
Sam needs more consistency... like what they have in Oakland. :beaten:

BoulderSooner79
1/23/2012, 06:42 PM
Shottenheimer is 69 years old. That is all.

He is the youngest looking 69yo I've ever seen. His dad Marty must be pushing the century mark!

Eielson
1/23/2012, 06:45 PM
Not just Sanchez, but more importantly look what Pennington did after leaving him...and the same for Brees. He has not been good to quarterbacks, but this can absolutely not be worse than McDaniels. McDaniels is about the worst thing that could've happened to our organization, and we're cheering his departure even thought it cost us Brandon Lloyd.

swardboy
1/23/2012, 08:45 PM
Sam is head and shoulders above Sanchez (pun intended). He'll be ok. Fisher is putting together a very experienced staff and he's 'consulted' with Sam...they're on the same page philosophically. The pick for QB coach is coming down the pike and will be very important to Sam's development.

Sam's been exposed to the offensive extremes in two years, he's smart and will master whatever Schotzy throws at him.

SoonerNutt
1/23/2012, 09:00 PM
He is the youngest looking 69yo I've ever seen. His dad Marty must be pushing the century mark!

What? Marty has a son who coaches in the NFL?

My sarcasm doesn't always hit it's mark. Probably cuz I'm getting old.

SoonerMom2
1/23/2012, 09:22 PM
There is also another big difference -- he was coaching for Ryan versus coaching for Jeff Fisher so things should be a lot calmer. Fisher IMHO after watching him for years is much more of a professional and so his Shottenheimer's son. Was shocked when he went to the Jets.

birddog
1/23/2012, 09:22 PM
Sam is head and shoulders above Sanchez (pun intended). He'll be ok. Fisher is putting together a very experienced staff and he's 'consulted' with Sam...they're on the same page philosophically. The pick for QB coach is coming down the pike and will be very important to Sam's development.Sam's been exposed to the offensive extremes in two years, he's smart and will master whatever Schotzy throws at him.

hire hybl!

bluedogok
1/23/2012, 10:33 PM
3rd OC in 3 years.
Bad teams have a habit of doing that.....

BoulderSooner79
1/23/2012, 11:17 PM
What? Marty has a son who coaches in the NFL?

My sarcasm doesn't always hit it's mark. Probably cuz I'm getting old.

I'm older and my sarcasm never hits the mark. But unfortunately (for others), that doesn't stop me.

Eielson
1/23/2012, 11:52 PM
Sanchez isn't the only QB that Brian has ever coached, and Rex Ryan isn't the only guy he has coached under.

sooneredaco
1/24/2012, 12:17 AM
Fire Venabels!!!! Oh wait....

sooneron
1/24/2012, 12:29 AM
I think if it was anything, it was that Sanchez hamstrung Shottenheimer. I live in the Jets/Gint's market and I constantly heard the coach speak for "we're adapting and running an offense that doesn't let Mark screw up too much". He's an average, at best, qb. Sam is light years ahead of Sanchez. Actually, Mark will never be the qb that Sam is, he may have a flash in the pan year or two, but he'll never possess what Sam possesses. Drawing parallels to Pennington is also goofy, as Pennington can't throw the ball > 15 yds downfield. Shottenheimer finally has a real quaterback. This may be good. I know it sucks that Sam has yet, another OC, but I think he may be a good one.

Eielson
1/24/2012, 01:22 AM
Drawing parallels to Pennington is also goofy, as Pennington can't throw the ball > 15 yds downfield. Shottenheimer finally has a real quaterback. This may be good.

Pennington did much better after leaving Schottenheimer. So did Favre. So did Brees. Whether or not any of those meet your standard as a "real" quarterback is irrelevant. Sure, you can explain most of those fairly reasonably, but to have that many quarterbacks who had drastic improvements immediately after leaving...that's definitely a cause for concern.

BoulderSooner79
1/24/2012, 10:53 AM
Pennington did much better after leaving Schottenheimer. So did Favre. So did Brees. Whether or not any of those meet your standard as a "real" quarterback is irrelevant. Sure, you can explain most of those fairly reasonably, but to have that many quarterbacks who had drastic improvements immediately after leaving...that's definitely a cause for concern.

So you're saying that after Schottenheimer leaves after 1 season, Sam will improve? Sweet!

stoops the eternal pimp
1/24/2012, 11:16 AM
My thoughts

1. I think it is a good hire for them in this aspect...The offense Sam ran his rookie year was based around short/intermediate quick passes without many reads and a ball control running game..He got rid of the ball quickly, Oline could protect some, meh offense as they didn't score much but it produced some wins.

2. Josh Daniels offense is based on strong quarterback play with the quarterback holding the ball longer, letting plays develop down field...Team didn't have offseason to prepare, Oline couldn't adjust to holding blocks longer, WRs didn't have the skills to create separation down field, Sam held the ball too long, etc...clusterbomb

3. Now with Schottenheimer, it's back to more the 1st offense mixed in with a little of the 2nd...Ball control, intermediate routes with some down the field play...I'll be honest..I get the feeling that the Rams don't feel that Sam is a 300 a game type QB and they want to develop the shorter game more and let the defense win ball games...

I personally think it's a good hire.

Eielson
1/24/2012, 10:06 PM
My thoughts

1. I think it is a good hire for them in this aspect...The offense Sam ran his rookie year was based around short/intermediate quick passes without many reads and a ball control running game..He got rid of the ball quickly, Oline could protect some, meh offense as they didn't score much but it produced some wins.

2. Josh Daniels offense is based on strong quarterback play with the quarterback holding the ball longer, letting plays develop down field...Team didn't have offseason to prepare, Oline couldn't adjust to holding blocks longer, WRs didn't have the skills to create separation down field, Sam held the ball too long, etc...clusterbomb

3. Now with Schottenheimer, it's back to more the 1st offense mixed in with a little of the 2nd...Ball control, intermediate routes with some down the field play...I'll be honest..I get the feeling that the Rams don't feel that Sam is a 300 a game type QB and they want to develop the shorter game more and let the defense win ball games...

I personally think it's a good hire.

/thread

SoonerAtKU
1/25/2012, 10:59 AM
I think the worst thing to happen to the Rams this year was the loss of Amendola early in the season. They didn't have a single receiver who could reliably catch a slant or dig to pick up a first down across the middle of the field. The TEs were a huge letdown compared to last year, so you double up on Lloyd and watch Sam blast it off the hands or helmet of a rookie WR or a blocking TE.

Getting Amendola back and what should be an easier schedule will do wonders for how this team looks next year. Fisher is going to look like a genius after 8 games, I predict.

StoopTroup
1/26/2012, 04:43 PM
This is Marty's last chance at the NFL's most prestigious prize. He's got some really good players on the Team that need some help. If he get's them the help....maybe they make the playoffs next year. If he doesn't....I'd fire him after year one. There is no reason the Rams can't at least be a Wild Card Team next year. IMO.

OULenexaman
1/26/2012, 04:53 PM
Not Marty...

kbsooner21
1/26/2012, 04:55 PM
Marty's coaching in the UFL

StoopTroup
1/26/2012, 05:02 PM
Holy Crap....I thought it was the old man.

The Rams are screwed. That dumbass will ruin 'em. :D

OK...I've been watching Basketball....should have read the link.

sooneredaco
1/26/2012, 05:51 PM
I recently transferred to St. Louis for work. Pretty cool city. It's a huge sports town. Baseball 1st, hockey next, then Football. Obviously due to the fact that the team really sucks. With that said, people here love Sliggin Sammy. The city seems to be really happy with the hire and are happy to see Fisher here as well. I'm looking forward to see The St. Louis Sams improve.

usmc-sooner
1/26/2012, 07:27 PM
Not Marty...

and they don't have some really good players.

Eielson
1/26/2012, 08:36 PM
and they don't have some really good players.

Steven Jackson, Chris Long, James Laurinaitis.

SoonerAtKU
1/27/2012, 11:13 AM
I recently transferred to St. Louis for work. Pretty cool city. It's a huge sports town. Baseball 1st, hockey next, then Football. Obviously due to the fact that the team really sucks. With that said, people here love Sliggin Sammy. The city seems to be really happy with the hire and are happy to see Fisher here as well. I'm looking forward to see The St. Louis Sams improve.

Just don't listen to sports radio when they talk football. Everyone but D'Marco Farr seems to be baseball-focused and can't switch over.

I work in Earth City near the practice facility, so I'm going to try to catch some of the open sessions if the weather isn't insanely hot this year.

usmc-sooner
1/27/2012, 10:46 PM
Steven Jackson, Chris Long, James Laurinaitis.

that's probably why they were so good last year all those really good players. You gotta have more than 3 in the NFL

Eielson
1/27/2012, 11:32 PM
that's probably why they were so good last year all those really good players. You gotta have more than 3 in the NFL

I never said it was a good team. It has some solid players to build around, though.

sooneredaco
1/28/2012, 09:30 AM
Just don't listen to sports radio when they talk football. Everyone but D'Marco Farr seems to be baseball-focused and can't switch over.

I work in Earth City near the practice facility, so I'm going to try to catch some of the open sessions if the weather isn't insanely hot this year.

That would be really cool. How do I go about getting into the open sessions? Are there tickets that are sold to that?

usmc-sooner
1/28/2012, 12:25 PM
I never said it was a good team. It has some solid players to build around, though.
I got you. Just yanking your chain.

SoonerAtKU
1/30/2012, 10:22 AM
That would be really cool. How do I go about getting into the open sessions? Are there tickets that are sold to that?

Some of them are outside, they don't really restrict access to those practices. If I remember, you can just walk up and watch from outside the boundary. Anything they want to keep in-house they do in the indoor portion.

They don't have a schedule set, since Fisher just came on. When they do, I'll post it up here.