PDA

View Full Version : Dear 49er fans:

TUSooner
1/23/2012, 08:37 AM
After the Giants' game, it should be obvious even to you that Alex Smith is NOT the second coming of Joe Montana, or even Steve Young. Hitting a couple of plays against the Saints' lame secondary last week proved nothing to anyone except the blathering heads on TV, y'know?
So please get real.
Sincerely,
The Rest of the World

sooneredaco
1/23/2012, 09:07 AM
He did play well enough to win the game. Their special teams were anything but special. I'm not a 49er fan myself, but couldn't believe that the special teams played that lousy.

olevetonahill
1/23/2012, 09:09 AM
2 mistakes by ONE rookie cost the niners that game

oudavid1
1/23/2012, 09:14 AM
Alex Smith is a more athletic Joe Flacco, and with a good defense and an average QB, teams can go to Conference Championships with these kinds of QBs recently. NY Jets.

sooneredaco
1/23/2012, 09:15 AM

The poor guy looked like somebody had just gone Michael Vick on his puppy in the post game interview. He's gonna need some grief counseling.

TUSooner
1/23/2012, 09:21 AM
I'm not saying the guy is bad, just bashing the Montana comparisons from last week and the hyperbole of the talking heads who were all singing the 1-note song that "all he needed was coach to love him and so he could blossom!" which made me wanna gag.

olevetonahill
1/23/2012, 09:22 AM
I'm not saying the guy is bad, just bashing the Montana comparisons from last week and the hyperbole of the talking heads who were all singing the 1-note song that "all he needed was coach to love him and so he could blossom!" which made me wanna gag.
Yup, hes a Good QB. Montana ? Hell NO

stoops the eternal pimp
1/23/2012, 09:25 AM
Who compared him to Montana?

oudavid1
1/23/2012, 09:32 AM

This?

badger
1/23/2012, 09:52 AM
it should be obvious even to you that Alex Smith is NOT the second coming of Joe Montana, or even Steve Young
I'm not sure anyone believed that he was... about the only thing those three have in common with each other is that they were 49er quarterbacks at some point during their career.

He did play well enough to win the game. Their special teams were anything but special. I'm not a 49er fan myself, but couldn't believe that the special teams played that lousy.
Especially the return dude. The return dude is NOT returning after that sh!t he pulled yesterday, guaran-damn-tee it.

Hate to pin it all on one guy, but their defense was sandwich-sacking Eli all night (you know, where he gets whiplash from getting hit from both directions near-simultaneously) and their offense was moving the ball pretty well.

You know what REALLY cost them the game last night? Not seeing that their teammate was about to intercept Eli and backing off. That happened TWICE! And I felt bad for em both times too, because both dudes were making excellent defensive plays only to get stopped by a teammate making the same excellent defensive play.

Alex Smith is a more athletic Joe Flacco, and with a good defense and an average QB, teams can go to Conference Championships with these kinds of QBs recently. NY Jets.
Scerw Joe Flacco and the fact that he never passed to Mark Clayton when they were both Ravens. Darn lucky to be an NFL starter after being a Fighting Hen in college. B1tch and moan about getting no respect, YOU ARE A FIGHTING HEN. Fighting hens get NO respect for many reasons... mostly because YOU ARE A FIGHTING HEN, but also the whole wannabe Michigan helmet.

The poor guy looked like somebody had just gone Michael Vick on his puppy in the post game interview. He's gonna need some grief counseling.
He needs a fresh start with a new team. Clean out your locker, call your agent and get outta San Fran. At least you won't be playing football in a baseball stadium anymore, then.

"all he needed was coach to love him and so he could blossom!" which made me wanna gag.
It was a good story, you have to admit --- dealing with a revolving door of offensive coordinators and head coaches till Mr. Perfect arrived from Stanford to set him on the right track. It's a story that's been repeated in various forms before... Aaron Rodgers was living behind Favre's shadow till he got a chance to start and head coach (McCarthy) who believed he could be Favre's successor... Matty Ice was following a felon, jailed quarterback who had led the Falcons to so many victories and now he had to prove he could lead the Falcons himself... no team wanted Michael Vick except the Eagles and now he's their franchise player all because Reid believed in him (DREAM TEAM lol)

oudavid1
1/23/2012, 10:07 AM
Scerw Joe Flacco and the fact that he never passed to Mark Clayton when they were both Ravens. Darn lucky to be an NFL starter after being a Fighting Hen in college. B1tch and moan about getting no respect, YOU ARE A FIGHTING HEN. Fighting hens get NO respect for many reasons... mostly because YOU ARE A FIGHTING HEN, but also the whole wannabe Michigan helmet.

Badger went HAM!!!

rekamrettuB
1/23/2012, 10:16 AM
After the Giants' game, it should be obvious even to you that Alex Smith is NOT the second coming of Joe Montana, or even Steve Young. Hitting a couple of plays against the Saints' lame secondary last week proved nothing to anyone except the blathering heads on TV, y'know?
So please get real.
Sincerely,
The Rest of the World

Thanks but I'm not sure what 49er fan you've been talking to. A drunk/high one I'm sure.

JohnnyMack
1/23/2012, 10:18 AM
San Fran needs to jettison Frank Gore. He's an injury prone back with a knack for not finding the end zone. They also have a WR corps that could best be described as lolcats. Alex Smith will be fine.

LVSOONER15
1/23/2012, 10:24 AM
I just hope there is a way in two weeks that both teams lose.

oudavid1
1/23/2012, 10:27 AM
San Fran needs to jettison Frank Gore. He's an injury prone back with a knack for not finding the end zone. They also have a WR corps that could best be described as lolcats. Alex Smith will be fine.

I think running backs are virtually irrelevant in todays league and overpaying for one is stupid.

JohnnyMack
1/23/2012, 10:29 AM
I think running backs are virtually irrelevant in todays league and overpaying for one is stupid.

I don't disagree. Whatever they do, it should include someone who isn't the Brandon Marshall of RB's.

Maybe they should sign cancer....I mean Peyton Hillis.

oudavid1
1/23/2012, 10:37 AM
I don't disagree. Whatever they do, it should include someone who isn't the Brandon Marshall of RB's.

Maybe they should sign cancer....I mean Peyton Hillis.

LOL! I literally laughed at this. ZING!!!!!

Bourbon St Sooner
1/23/2012, 10:41 AM
He was average at best for 56 minutes of that Saints game too. He just played well for that last 4 minutes, unfortunately.

rekamrettuB
1/23/2012, 10:43 AM

He was 6th in rushing yards and tied for 11th in rushing TDs. I'm guessing you had him on your fantasy team and was hoping he would have 2 TDs a game. There's a reason David Akers shattered the NFL record for field goals...San Fran needs Blake Bell.

goingoneight
1/23/2012, 10:45 AM
So it's not just the Sooners who need to bench everyone and fire everybody after a great season that came down to some tough breaks?

badger
1/23/2012, 10:46 AM
Y'know, for as much as running backs are believed to be a dime a dozen, easy to drop as they age, easy to sign on the cheap, no need to spend high draft picks or money to obtain... why is it that the top teams in the playoffs didn't really have top tier running backs?

1- Packers. We fumbled HOW many times?! Four-letter words!!!!!!

2- 49ers. Let's give you carries... why are running straight into your blockers. Tackle for a loss...

3- Patriots. Bawwww, look at the widdle running back running around and... fumbling. Wow, aren't you glad that didn't cost the Pats the game Woodhead.

Hmmm...

oudavid1
1/23/2012, 10:46 AM
So it's not just the Sooners who need to bench everyone and fire everybody after a great season that came down to some tough breaks?

Sounds like it. :D

BoulderSooner79
1/23/2012, 11:06 AM
The positive take away from the Alex Smith story for me is that things can turnaround for a #1 draft pick stuck on a bad team. Smith is on his 7th OC in 7 years or something like that. Sam will meet his 3rd OC to start his 3rd season, but I really hope it doesn't take 7 years before they wrap a decent team around him.

TUSooner
1/23/2012, 11:21 AM

Really, guys, if you are going to outlaw dramatic licence in a sports forum and try to impose some sort of scientific accuracy requirement, we'll have to ban everybody and shut down!

Having Montana or Young mentioned in the same sentence as Smith was enough to set me off. It started when a few of the approximately 4327 professional commentators on TV compared the winning TD vs the Saints to "The Catch" and some other great 49er plays and said "now Smith has one just like Montana and Young."

Let me put it another way: There was a lot of talk last few weeks about how good Smith has become. As usual, the talk snowballed and everybody started saying the same thing (because we have a surplus of people yakking their empty heads off about sports). People talked about how Smith "arrived" this season and so on and on. Yesterday, new-media-darling Smith completed about 3 decent passes and led his team to ZERO 3rd down conversions (forget the useless one before the half), thus exposing the silliness of the previous weeks' apotheosis of an average QB. My purpose is to bash the media that barks like a pack of dogs and blows like a hurricane, first one way and then the other.

You are free to disagree, but please don't indict me for some kind of some grave mathematical or logical sin, because it's just a ****ing football board for cryin out loud! :livid: ;)

oudavid1
1/23/2012, 11:23 AM
Having Montana or Young mentioned in the same sentence as anyone(current player) except Brady is stupid as of today. Dont be stupid.

FIFY!!!!

JohnnyMack
1/23/2012, 11:29 AM
He was 6th in rushing yards and tied for 11th in rushing TDs. I'm guessing you had him on your fantasy team and was hoping he would have 2 TDs a game. There's a reason David Akers shattered the NFL record for field goals...San Fran needs Blake Bell.

I've long since retired from fantasy football. Over it.

Doesn't change the fact that I think he's an average RB who has 43 rushing TDs in 7 years. That's a whopping 6 TD's a year.

DCsooner22
1/23/2012, 11:31 AM
I thought the 49ers could have won the game if they could have converted a 3rd down...

Sooner J
1/23/2012, 11:33 AM
To this thread I say whatever. I'm a huge 9ers fan so my opinion might sound a little bias but considering that Alex only really had one person to throw to, I think he did all right. From last week, everyone knew his only real target was Vernon Davis and he was still able to find him twice for touchdowns. Crabs is not where he should be for a receiver in his 3rd year in the NFL, Ginn and Morgan were out, Walker (TE) was coming back from a broken jaw suffered two weeks ago, Williams is at best a 3rd or 4th option and Brett Swaim was well Brett Swaim (Who? Exactly). So considering the targets I think Alex did okay. True, he's not Joe or Steve, but I guarantee they wouldn't be as great as they were without some of the targets they had to throw to. Hell, did you see some of the catches Cruz was making last night? You think without him, the Giants are even in the game?

As far as Williams goes, if you say his two fumbles cost the 9ers, then you better say that his other two big returns put the 9ers in position to win the game. It's never all on one person. If that BS call on the Giants RB gets called correctly, were not even having this talk this morning. So again, whatever.

oudavid1
1/23/2012, 11:35 AM
I've long since retired from fantasy football. Over it.

Doesn't change the fact that I think he's an average RB who has 43 rushing TDs in 7 years. That's a whopping 6 TD's a year.

I have to play fantasy or else the NFL is soooo boring. If it wasnt for gambling or fantasy, NFL would not be as big as it is.

JohnnyMack
1/23/2012, 11:36 AM
If that BS call on the Giants RB gets called correctly, were not even having this talk this morning.

?

rekamrettuB
1/23/2012, 11:42 AM
Having Montana or Young mentioned in the same sentence as Smith was enough to set me off. It started when a few of the approximately 4327 professional commentators on TV compared the winning TD vs the Saints to "The Catch" and some other great 49er plays and said "now Smith has one just like Montana and Young."

Then why not call out the media and don't title this thing "49er fans"? I know a few (brother in law is one) and none of them have ever said anything even remotely close to that. We can all agree the media goes over the line to draw eyeballs and will say whatever they want even if totally wrong because there are, as you say, 4327 of them all competing to break stories and have the best debates.

Eielson
1/23/2012, 11:44 AM
I would enjoy the NFL without fantasy football if my team didn't suck. Screw you Josh McDaniels...and about a million other people.

oudavid1
1/23/2012, 11:46 AM
I would enjoy the NFL without fantasy football if my team didn't suck. Screw you Josh McDaniels...and about a million other people.

I am a Titans fan, so ya.

OULenexaman
1/23/2012, 11:52 AM
Looked like the regular Alex Smith in OT....passes with no zip code.

SoonerMom2
1/23/2012, 12:44 PM
One of the sports guys on Twitter said that Smith's passes at the end of the game and overtime most resembled -- thrown at the feet of the receiver as he was trying to throw on the run. This morning my son told it is not surprising since Urban Meyer was Smith's college coach. Does that mean the The OSU quarterbacks are now going to be throwing at the receivers feet when they get rushed? :)

Lott's Bandana
1/23/2012, 12:53 PM
One of the sports guys on Twitter said that Smith's passes at the end of the game and overtime most resembled -- thrown at the feet of the receiver as he was trying to throw on the run. This morning my son told it is not surprising since Urban Meyer was Smith's college coach. Does that mean the The OSU quarterbacks are now going to be throwing at the receivers feet when they get rushed? :)

He needs to fix that...or don't run.

The Niners should have won that game, yet found a way not to. My 2011-2012 football year ended last night. Time for some Sooners baseball.

DarrellZero
1/23/2012, 01:51 PM
I am a Titans fan, so ya.

Jerry Jones is an idiot.

Just seemed like an appropriate thing to say.

picasso
1/23/2012, 01:54 PM
Yet they win if they just don't field punts.

oudavid1
1/23/2012, 02:00 PM
Jerry Jones is an idiot.

Just seemed like an appropriate thing to say.

Least you have the talent.

DarrellZero
1/23/2012, 02:05 PM
Least you have the talent.

We'll give you Martellus Bennett. Free of charge.

Just tell us where to drop him off.

TUSooner
1/23/2012, 02:12 PM
Then why not call out the media and don't title this thing "49er fans"? I know a few (brother in law is one) and none of them have ever said anything even remotely close to that. We can all agree the media goes over the line to draw eyeballs and will say whatever they want even if totally wrong because there are, as you say, 4327 of them all competing to break stories and have the best debates.

Details details! So I shot the wrong guys! "49er fans" sounded better that "4327 media loudmouths." but I get your point. Speaking of 49er fans, though, all reports from Saints fans (which are NOT the same as LSU fans, I'll have you know) are that the 49 fans at the stadium were mostly rude vulgar nasty and obnoxious ***holes. IOW, they were like LSU fans; San Fran should be ashamed. Those reports are why I went with the Giants (barely) in a game I really care much about.

TUSooner
1/23/2012, 02:13 PM
Yet they win if they just don't field punts.

This is undeniable.

Lott's Bandana
1/23/2012, 02:18 PM
I used to take my young daughters to 49er's games. The only drawback is Candlestick and its location. The fans were always fine in my experience, although it is obviously very dissimilar to a college atmosphere.

Grew up a Raiders fan as well. I'll go to Athletics' games, but never a Raiders game. That sucks because they were always blacked out in Sacramento because of the 100 mile radius. Al Davis' towering addition to the Coliseum when they moved back from LA makes it hard to sell-out, especially in that town's economy.

Seamus
1/23/2012, 02:19 PM
This thread is so full of fail (and I skipped page 2 of fail).

badger
1/23/2012, 03:29 PM
This thread is so full of fail (and I skipped page 2 of fail).

As long as you caught the fighting hen part :P

badger
1/23/2012, 03:43 PM
So apparently the kick returner is getting death threats.

Linky (http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2011/story/_/id/7493708/2012-nfl-playoffs-san-francisco-49ers-kyle-williams-received-death-threats)

BoulderSooner79
1/23/2012, 04:17 PM
What the "fans" forget is that it took 2 good returns by Williams that allowed them to score before OT - he was definitely a double edged sword. Outside that blown coverage on Davis in the 1st quarter, the 9ers offense showed little sign they could drive far enough to get points unless they started with a short field. Technically, William's fumble didn't lose the game for them - it extinguished their opportunity to win. By that I mean if he doesn't fumble, there is no guarantee the 9ers win and in fact, I would have still put my money on the Giants to eventually win. By OT, the 9ers offense had run out of tricks and the Giants were eventually going to score. The 9ers best hope would have been to force a TO - or- another good return by Williams!

SoonerDood
1/23/2012, 04:21 PM
He's got as many playoff wins as Tony Romo. And his playoff win percentage is better than Peyton Manning.

badger
1/23/2012, 04:23 PM
NP thinks I have a curse of sports-related jinxes by opening my mouth. I felt so bad for that poor return guy that I was saying everything imaginable to get that kick to miss.

It obviously didn't work... it was only good for a false start penalty, lol

BoulderSooner79
1/23/2012, 04:25 PM
NP thinks I have a curse of sports-related jinxes by opening my mouth. I felt so bad for that poor return guy that I was saying everything imaginable to get that kick to miss.

It obviously didn't work... it was only good for a false start penalty, lol

That is still an impressive amount of telekinetic power at that distance !

rekamrettuB
1/23/2012, 05:19 PM
What the "fans" forget is that it took 2 good returns by Williams that allowed them to score before OT - he was definitely a double edged sword. !

The 2nd fumble wasn't nearly as bad as the first blunder where he shouldn't have been anywhere near the ball. That game up 7. The Giants weren't going up and down the field either but in a low scoring game, one guy can't basically give up 10 points.

VA Sooner
1/23/2012, 05:28 PM
Game was lost on two accounts:

1. Two big mistakes from the rookie backup punt returner, Williams.

2. Inability to convert a third down... only once and that was at the end of regulation.

Otherwise, the 49ers have a great team. Just couldn't make it work last night. Good game though... I was amused.

badger
1/24/2012, 04:26 PM
Lol at this:

"David Tyree rooted for Ravens to beat Giants" (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/01/david-tyree-rooted-for-ravens-to-beat-giants/1)

Former Giants WR David Tyree, he of the spectacular 2008 Super Bowl catch and the outspoken rejection of gay marriage, is inching back into the spotlight as we gear up for XLVI.

Released in 2009 by the Giants a year after his Super Bowl XLII heroics vs. New England, Tyree participated in a conference call with reporters Tuesday, where he spoke of the Giants' NFC Championship victory against Baltimore on Sunday.

"I was rooting for the Ravens," he said. "I'm always rooting somewhat for the underdog. I thought regardless, whoever won you had a great storyline as far as assuming that the Giants went - you got a rematch with 2000 and you got a rematch with 2007."

Whoever doesn't get why this is funny knows less about football than this chick. Turn in your man card :D

TUSooner
1/24/2012, 04:57 PM
Lol at this:

"David Tyree rooted for Ravens to beat Giants" (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/01/david-tyree-rooted-for-ravens-to-beat-giants/1)

Whoever doesn't get why this is funny knows less about football than this chick. Turn in your man card :D

I don't get it -- except the Ravens didn't play the Giants last week. Is that real funny?
My man card is in the mail. :redface:

oudavid1
1/25/2012, 09:24 AM
I don't get it -- except the Ravens didn't play the Giants last week. Is that real funny?
My man card is in the mail. :redface:

No joke, that is one of the dumbest stories ever written just because it is so misleading and untrue. No wonder newspaper is dieing.

badger
1/25/2012, 10:24 AM
No joke, that is one of the dumbest stories ever written just because it is so misleading and untrue. No wonder newspaper is dieing.

newspaper is dieing. *facepalm*

If you click on the story now, you'll see that he wasn't even talking about his ex-team, but rather, was rooting for the patriots to get beat by the ravens. Whoops.

oudavid1
1/25/2012, 10:26 AM
newspaper is dieing. *facepalm*

If you click on the story now, you'll see that he wasn't even talking about his ex-team, but rather, was rooting for the patriots to get beat by the ravens. Whoops.

Well that would mean reading, and thats hard!

TUSooner
1/25/2012, 10:58 AM

Well, it was wrong due to an egregious oversight or plain ignorance, but it's a stretch to call it "misleading and untrue" because that implies some sort of intent. But you are right that reading stuff often aids understanding; I may even start trying it! :biggrin:

oudavid1
1/25/2012, 11:04 AM
Well, it was wrong due to an egregious oversight or plain ignorance, but it's a stretch to call it "misleading and untrue" because that implies some sort of intent. But you are right that reading stuff often aids understanding; I may even start trying it! :biggrin:

Good point :D

85sooners
1/25/2012, 09:50 PM
:very_drunk: