PDA

View Full Version : Is signing day over yet?

PDXsooner
1/22/2012, 12:57 PM
I know it's somewhere around this time of year. Someone wake me up when all of the 18 year old snotty-faced tweeters and bloggers are finished riding their irrational roller coaster of emotions and actually put their signature on a piece of paper so I can learn a little bit about future Sooners.

You people that follow this sideshow circus amuse me. Every time I see some 17 year old dildo sitting with a table full of hats with the sole intention of toying with the emotions of a fanbase I want to throat-punch him and his whole family.

In addition, the word "soft-verbal" means what?

Thanks

NorthernIowaSooner
1/22/2012, 01:12 PM
I'm not huge on recruiting but did you really come over to the recruiting board just to act like an a$$? Some people like it, it has its own board and doesn't clutter up the football board. Turns out your a (enter your age here) year old dildo.

yermom
1/22/2012, 01:23 PM
dildo, exhibit A: wGDV0p3JjgQ

i don't really care what team you pick, you are still a dildo. Broyles' hijinks back then were pretty dildonic as well.

8timechamps
1/22/2012, 02:04 PM
I like to follow recruiting, as I think all fans do. I don't blame 18 year old for acting like 18 year olds.

We were all 18 once.

PDXsooner
1/22/2012, 02:21 PM
I'm not huge on recruiting but did you really come over to the recruiting board just to act like an a$$?

Yes!!

NorthernIowaSooner
1/22/2012, 03:08 PM
Yes!!

Classy, adult like move. Ironic if you think about it, you come here to complain about 18 yr olds and their actions and then in turn act like one by trying to belittle people who like recruiting.

PDXsooner
1/22/2012, 04:05 PM
Yes. Ironic. Seriously, what is a soft verbal?

NorthernIowaSooner
1/22/2012, 04:49 PM
My understanding of it is that a player commits to a school but wants to keep looking as well. In a way they hold a place for themselves at one institution while trying to get a spot at a different or better school.

It's a pretty silly practice given that no verbal is binding and they're free to look around anyway. Good way to get a few extra trips out of schools.

OU_Sooners75
1/22/2012, 05:04 PM
Well, in recruiting, you get up to 5 official visits.

It is fun to take them all. I committed to one school back in the 1990s and told them that I was going to still go on other visits.

I didnt waiver from my commitment, but I enjoyed the experiences I had at other schools too.

Recruiting is a stressful and fun time for an athlete. I can only imagine the stress today with all the internet and technology that is available. Even when you say you commit to a school, the recruiters from other schools still come at you and try to convince you to go there.

Great recruiters could probably make more money selling used cars than they do as assistant coaches! :texan:

PDXsooner
1/24/2012, 04:39 PM
I think the idea of a soft verbal is ridiculous. Either you are committed or you're not. And being committed doesn't mean anything until you're signed.

8timechamps
1/24/2012, 04:49 PM
I think the idea of a soft verbal is ridiculous. Either you are committed or you're not. And being committed doesn't mean anything until you're signed.

"Soft Verbal" is only for the recruiting services. No school in the country takes comfort in a "soft verbal". In fact, a "verbal commitment" isn't worth much either. Until they receive the fax with the recruits signature on NSA, nothing is a done deal.

stoopified
1/28/2012, 07:10 AM
I know it's somewhere around this time of year. Someone wake me up when all of the 18 year old snotty-faced tweeters and bloggers are finished riding their irrational roller coaster of emotions and actually put their signature on a piece of paper so I can learn a little bit about future Sooners.

You people that follow this sideshow circus amuse me. Every time I see some 17 year old dildo sitting with a table full of hats with the sole intention of toying with the emotions of a fanbase I want to throat-punch him and his whole family.

In addition, the word "soft-verbal" means what?

Thanks I get your point although I think you went a liitle overboard. I admit I used to be a recruitnik who agonized over if Johnnie Fivestar was coming to OU or not,it took awhile but I learned the truth;there is no such thing as a must have player. The last 20 years I just relax,let recruiting play out and then get overly excited AFTER we sign them. :)

Jacie
1/28/2012, 12:08 PM
March, April, May, June, July, August . . . it is a long time till the next college football game.

So what else are we supposed to do to while away the off-season?

And it isn't like it lasts very long either.

Anyway, National Signing Day is on Wednesday, next Wednesday, the first Wednesday in February, which this year is on February 2.

Signings will be shown on ESPN. Now I don't care if you are 18 or whatever, if you have an opportunity to do something on a nationally broadcast show, wouldn't you do it with flair?

Mind you, that is when athletes can begin to sign. Should they choose, they can wait till August 1.

But the good stuff will be on NSD. We can expect misdirection, drama, twists, turns and knife-to-the-heart decisions that will both curdle the blood of some college football fanatics and provide a sense of elation to others depending on which schools win or lose prized recruits.

So if you are tired of the process, take comfort that it is almost over. Ignore the boards, the sports page of the paper, sports talk radio and sports stations until . . . Thursday.

8timechamps
1/28/2012, 02:21 PM
March, April, May, June, July, August . . . it is a long time till the next college football game.

So what else are we supposed to do to while away the off-season?

And it isn't like it lasts very long either.

Anyway, National Signing Day is on Wednesday, next Wednesday, the first Wednesday in February, which this year is on February 2.

Signings will be shown on ESPN. Now I don't care if you are 18 or whatever, if you have an opportunity to do something on a nationally broadcast show, wouldn't you do it with flair?

Mind you, that is when athletes can begin to sign. Should they choose, they can wait till August 1.

But the good stuff will be on NSD. We can expect misdirection, drama, twists, turns and knife-to-the-heart decisions that will both curdle the blood of some college football fanatics and provide a sense of elation to others depending on which schools win or lose prized recruits.

So if you are tired of the process, take comfort that it is almost over. Ignore the boards, the sports page of the paper, sports talk radio and sports stations until . . . Thursday.

It's February 1st this year.

birddog
1/30/2012, 10:36 AM
i think it's fun to follow because i like to see how they present themselves on camera, (do they use terms like big country like, "we just wasn't" and "i seen him open" etc.) that snoop dogg, er jarboe video is a pretty good example. the showmanship with the hats is played out but i still don't mind seeing how future Sooners react in one v one interviews.