PDA

View Full Version : So, I didn't go with the iPhone.

8timechamps
1/21/2012, 09:49 PM
Today was the day I had made the decision to get a new phone. Since I started looking into a new device, I've flip-flopped a hundred time between an iPhone and a Droid (OS) phone. As with anything, anytime I asked someone their opinion, if they were an iPhone user, the said "get an iPhone", if not..."don't get an iPhone". So today, I went to the AT&T store and looked (played with) at both of them.

I settled on the Samsung Galaxy S. The only real difference (for my use) is the iPhone 4s has Siri, and the Samsung allows Flash. So far, I'm loving it. I can't believe how far out of the loop I fell since my last new phone.

Anyone that uses a droid phone, what are the "must have" apps? So far, the coolest one I've downloaded is a baseball score book (for my son's youth baseball team). It's a traditional score book, but it compiles all of the information and spits out all the season stats. (I know I'm getting old because I'm excited about this app).

yermom
1/22/2012, 12:24 AM
i feel like i'm always looking for the home button when i use an Android phone

delhalew
1/22/2012, 11:15 AM
Well, the cool thing about Droid is, if you go read the Droid forums, you can learn how to make the Droid into whatever you want. Layout and function is up to you.

If you have unlimited data, Sprint is truly unlimited. I would get PDAnet. It is a work around that allows you to use your phone as a modem, even if your provider prohibits tethering.

As I am on the road so much, I use this for streaming Hulu or Netflix on my laptop.

Sensorly will show you VIA a map were the 4G service is.

I use about a dozen others that are automatic, and I don't even remember the name of.

Just think of what you want to do, and search the marketplace.

If you are ambitious enough to root your phone, you can use add blockers or really change anything about the phone.

badger
1/22/2012, 11:23 AM
scorecenter from espn is a free way to quickly check sports scores. I use that one all the time when I can't watch games for whatever reason (out running errands, at get togethers without tvs on, etc).

there is also a sf.com android app that I use to participate in game threads while watching on tv but don't want to also camp in front of a computer :D

yermom
1/22/2012, 11:36 AM
Well, the cool thing about Droid is, if you go read the Droid forums, you can learn how to make the Droid into whatever you want. Layout and function is up to you.

If you have unlimited data, Sprint is truly unlimited. I would get PDAnet. It is a work around that allows you to use your phone as a modem, even if your provider prohibits tethering.

As I am on the road so much, I use this for streaming Hulu or Netflix on my laptop.

Sensorly will show you VIA a map were the 4G service is.

I use about a dozen others that are automatic, and I don't even remember the name of.

Just think of what you want to do, and search the marketplace.

If you are ambitious enough to root your phone, you can use add blockers or really change anything about the phone.

you can't use an app to add a physical button though :)

PDANet is there for the iPhone too. i want to like the Android and the flexibility, but i just can't make the jump yet. i'm kinda getting close though

delhalew
1/22/2012, 12:00 PM

PDANet is there for the iPhone too. i want to like the Android and the flexibility, but i just can't make the jump yet. i'm kinda getting close though

What button do you need that doesn't exist or can't be created with a widget?

dwarthog
1/22/2012, 12:05 PM
The NFL's droid app is pretty good.

Yahoo's sportacular app is ok as well, particularly if you don't care much for ESPN.

Taptu is a good news aggregator if you are interested in something like that.

Angry Birds if you want to spend a bunch of time playing a game.

One app that's kind of handy is Google Voice. You can set it up such that you can use google voice from your PC to send text messages through phone. Probably want to be sure you have unlimited texting before doing that. Doesnt' work with multimedia messages though.

C&CDean
1/22/2012, 01:28 PM
Advice? Go buy a ga-giant battery. My experience with the droid sucked the large one. Battery life was like 7 nanoseconds. My iphone battery lasts a couple three days if I don't go wild surfing the net. If I go wild, it lasts 2 days.

delhalew
1/22/2012, 04:39 PM
There are ways to make the battery last much longer. If you activate GPS, Bluetooth, ect and start using the web without being plugged in...what do you expect?

delhalew
1/22/2012, 04:51 PM
Also, on the topic of battery/charging, one of my favorite things about my Droid and every other one I've seen, is the use of micro usb for charging. That connection is used for tons more stuff than that proprietorory iPhone connection (if they are smart Apple would have changed that with the "S".

No doubt, the other end of your cable is full size usb. So that fits your computer or included wall plug. The best thing I ever bought was a generic charge cable that included a 12v plug with fold out wall plugs. Obviously, you could use one of those with an iPhone also.

Something like the one pictured here. Available in every gas station.
http://www.alternativewireless.com/car-wall-cell-phone-charger-mini-micro.html

8timechamps
1/22/2012, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the input.

As far as battery life, the phone I got (Samsung Galaxy II S) has some great features that allow me to see what is using my battery, and the option to turn those things on/off (i.e. WiFi, GPS, etc). However, had I not discovered that function, I could have easily drained my battery in about 6 hours.

Apparently, this phone can be used as a mobile hotspot, so I'll have to figure out how to do all of that. I have AT&T, so they don't have an "unlimited" data plan. I went with the biggest one they offer (I think it's 4GB a month) and it's $35/mo. I wish they would be more competitive with Sprint and offer the truly unlimited plan.

The SF.com app was one of my first downloads, but it's going to be a while before I feel comfortable enough with the keyboard to post much from my phone.

I also figured out the text to speech (Google) feature. I was actually surprised how accurate it was. But, once in a while it spits out some crazy ****.

delhalew
1/22/2012, 07:04 PM
Yikes. I don't even want to think about the charges I would be hit with if I had AT&T. I'd burn through 4GB pretty quickly.

8timechamps
1/22/2012, 07:45 PM
Yikes. I don't even want to think about the charges I would be hit with if I had AT&T. I'd burn through 4GB pretty quickly.

Other than actual calls and texts, I rarely use my phone for anything else (that would require data downloads) during the week. On the weekends, I'll use more data, but even then I don't think I'll go through 4GB. I still hate that they don't offer unlimited, because I hate to feel like I'm constrained. I'm hoping they will go that way soon. It took forever to get unlimited talk and text plans, then suddenly everyone had them...I'm crossing my fingers that will go the same way with data plans.

yermom
1/22/2012, 07:46 PM
they started that way...

8timechamps
1/22/2012, 07:47 PM
they started that way...

I know, that's what doesn't make sense. They should at least offer that as an option...I'd pay for it. DAMN!

afs
1/22/2012, 07:54 PM
I also picked up a galaxy s ii this week. Love the phone and AT&T carried over my iPhone unlimited data plan. Not too excited about paying $20 a month as the only text option. It does have a home button, it's in the shape of a house and you can program it to go to whatever screen you want. I'm happy with it being an iPhone replacement.

yermom
1/22/2012, 08:02 PM
it's just so disorienting in my old age ;)

delhalew
1/22/2012, 11:52 PM
it's just so disorienting in my old age ;)
Yeah, that big house is confusing as hell:)

It's funny, the few minor disputes I've had with Sprint, my threats to go to another carrier are completely empty...until someone can match their unlimited plan.

During the week I stream like crazy at night, and surf half the day. On the weekend I might even download a torrent. My phone is so effective as a modem, I haven't chosen any of the awful internet options available were I live. I just use my 3g, which is fast enough to stream movies. 4g is blazing fast. If I wasn't unlimited, I'd be boned.

1890MilesToNorman
1/23/2012, 12:16 AM
I have a Droid, my suggestion is to turn it off and go about life!!! Good stuff when you need it but get back to your pre-droid time.

delhalew
1/23/2012, 01:25 AM
I have a Droid, my suggestion is to turn it off and go about life!!! Good stuff when you need it but get back to your pre-droid time.

I got a set of harmonicas for Christmas. Low tech!

Ton Loc
1/23/2012, 09:38 AM
I know, that's what doesn't make sense. They should at least offer that as an option...I'd pay for it. DAMN!

Unlimited is going away. Sprint is pretty much the last holdout of true unlimited and their CEO said he would hold off as long as he could but Sprint is going to have to cut it off at some point.

jkjsooner
1/23/2012, 09:39 AM

Someday someone is going to develop a deformable screen so you can have a physical software button (or software keyboard).

Question for you guys. My iPhone drives me crazy when I actually use it as a phone. I'm constantly hanging up, putting myself of mute, or putting others on hold accidentally. Even when I remember to take the thing off of the phone screen when I'm on the phone I'll still end up back on the phone screen and hitting on of those buttons.

It must be my sculpted cheekbones. :-)

Do others have this problem as well? What about Android users?

delhalew
1/23/2012, 09:43 AM
Someday someone is going to develop a deformable screen so you can have a physical software button (or software keyboard).

Question for you guys. My iPhone drives me crazy when I actually use it as a phone. I'm constantly hanging up, putting myself of mute, or putting others on hold accidentally. Even when I remember to take the thing off of the phone screen when I'm on the phone I'll still end up back on the phone screen and hitting on of those buttons.

Somehow the Android screen turns off when you put it to your ear, and back on when you take it of your face...well my HTC EVO does. Seeing that it's two years old, that tech is probably in all the droids.

delhalew
1/23/2012, 09:45 AM
Unlimited is going away. Sprint is pretty much the last holdout of true unlimited and their CEO said he would hold off as long as he could but Sprint is going to have to cut it off at some point.

Sprint gets a lot of customers on that selling point.

OUDoc
1/23/2012, 09:56 AM

My wife's iPhone mutes me all the time. My Android never has that problem. I assume Apple will fix that problem at some point.

Curly Bill
1/23/2012, 10:12 AM

Have never had this problem.

badger
1/23/2012, 10:22 AM
I think a lot more people are going away from the iPhone now that there's more iPhone copies out there that are cheaper, not Apple and available on more networks (although I guess it's not just AT&T that has em exclusively anymore).

I once read that Steve Jobs was so angry at Android because he saw it as an iPhone app copy that he wanted to lawsuit them into the ground... not sure if that plan will carry on after his death, though.

OUDoc
1/23/2012, 10:37 AM
I once read that Steve Jobs was so angry at Android because he saw it as an iPhone app copy that he wanted to lawsuit them into the ground... not sure if that plan will carry on after his death, though.
Successful things get copied. That's life.

badger
1/23/2012, 10:43 AM

Especially when production is outsourced to China :eek:

delhalew
1/23/2012, 10:55 AM
Successful things get improved upon. That's why Jobs didn't gave a case. Android is a new animal.

jumperstop
1/23/2012, 12:52 PM
I hate how people compare Iphone and "Android" phones....there's hundreds of different phones that have android platforms and I bet a lot suck. But the best Android, the GS 2 is easily as good as the iphone and considered the best smart phone by a lot of people. So to all the Iphone people who say, "My friend has an android phone and it sucks...my iphone is way better." Maybe compare it to one of the better androids before forming your biased opinion.

Lott's Bandana
1/23/2012, 01:13 PM
I think a lot more people are going away from the iPhone now that there's more iPhone copies out there that are cheaper, not Apple and available on more networks (although I guess it's not just AT&T that has em exclusively anymore).

Apple and Google went round and round about the touch-screen part of the Android phone. Instead of a lawsuit, they worked on, and apparently reached...a formal understanding. I'm certain there is volumes and volumes about this in the innerwebs...yawn.

I'm sure the Android phones can be marvelous. I'm on my 3rd iPhone, never accidentally muted any of them, and have set up my life around Apple (iMac, iPad, iPhone). As a photographer, this makes perfect sense to me. Anyone going a different route, makes perfect sense to me as well. I'm pleased I got the head start, of course...but that doesn't matter now.

Ton Loc
1/23/2012, 01:32 PM
I hate how people compare Iphone and "Android" phones....there's hundreds of different phones that have android platforms and I bet a lot suck. But the best Android, the GS 2 is easily as good as the iphone and considered the best smart phone by a lot of people. So to all the Iphone people who say, "My friend has an android phone and it sucks...my iphone is way better." Maybe compare it to one of the better androids before forming your biased opinion.

Someone should tell Android/Google to stop letting every phone company put Android on every ****ty phone they make. Leads to bad comparisons that aren't completly true. The best Android phones are at least as good as an Iphone.

delhalew
1/23/2012, 01:42 PM
Well they get to slap android on any phone using the android operating system, which really is the key. Unfortunately, unless you do your research, it may be on a crap piece of hardware.

I'm not taking shots here, but for years, the app iPhone users needed most was...phone. I recall it lacking in that respect. If you buy a crappy Droid phone, you may find yourself lacking a decent phone.

jiminy
1/23/2012, 06:29 PM
Re: Battery life - I finally retired my OG Droid and got a Galaxy Nexus. Battery life was not great at first, but I disabled some apps that I don't use like Google+, Email (I use K9), etc. and battery life is now great. With light use, I generally have 50-60% left when I go to bed. Not bad for a big HD screen with dual core and 4G...

8timechamps
1/23/2012, 07:18 PM
Well they get to slap android on any phone using the android operating system, which really is the key. Unfortunately, unless you do your research, it may be on a crap piece of hardware.

I'm not taking shots here, but for years, the app iPhone users needed most was...phone. I recall it lacking in that respect. If you buy a crappy Droid phone, you may find yourself lacking a decent phone.

That's the key. It's all about the phone since Android is essentially the same OS as Apple. The main difference is that there is only one phone that uses Apple's OS, while there are hundreds that use Android.

As far as the hanging up issue, I haven't had that problem. As was mentioned earlier, my new phone turns the touch screen off when I put it to my ear. The only downside is that it takes a second to give me the option to end the call when I'm done.

8timechamps
1/23/2012, 07:19 PM
Re: Battery life - I finally retired my OG Droid and got a Galaxy Nexus. Battery life was not great at first, but I disabled some apps that I don't use like Google+, Email (I use K9), etc. and battery life is now great. With light use, I generally have 50-60% left when I go to bed. Not bad for a big HD screen with dual core and 4G...

There's a free app in the marketplace called "Easy Battery". It has a lot of options that will allow the program to turn different things on or off depending on your usage. I was even able to personalize it so that it minimizes usage while I sleep.

delhalew
1/23/2012, 09:37 PM
Spending the night in Lubbock...that would really suck were it not for 4G.

stonecoldsoonerfan
1/24/2012, 08:49 AM
i hope you have much better success with you samsung phone that what me and the mrs. have with our samsung captivates. they have been NOTHING but a MAJOR pain in the butt with all the bugs they have. i wished i would have done my homework on them as these problems have existed from the very beginning with them. ours had problems just after the exchange period expired with at&t and they were SOOOO uncooperative on helping us. had to exchange my phone like 3 times now and her phone 2 times now. we're just biding our time to leave at&t so we can get a good phone and not a samsung and give our business to someone that really deserves it. at&t can stick it.

jumperstop
1/24/2012, 11:43 AM
Yeah I have the Sprint GS2 and the battery life is great, especially compared to the first gen of the Epic I used to have. If I really wanted to and was careful about using apps I could use it for two days without charging.

jumperstop
1/24/2012, 11:47 AM
First At&t sucks. But the GS2 has worked out a lot of the lag and bs from the original galaxy S. Now with the dual core processor, it's ridiculously fast and in the three months I've had it I haven't noticed any of the issues my first one had.

8timechamps
1/24/2012, 04:56 PM
First, AT&T does suck, so there's that. Unfortunately, I signed a corporate deal with them that made it much more cost effective for our companies phones. The personal side, not as much. I've really been very happy with AT&T until I finally got the smartphone. I just don't like the "no unlimited data plan" (as I've mentioned a couple of times already). I know Sprint has it, and I was/am really hoping that AT&T would feel the effect of folks going to Sprint for that service, and go back to unlimited data...but, I think it may be the other way around, and eventually even Sprint will have to drop that option.

Anyway, I love the phone. I did a lot of research on phones before I finally decided on one. I read hundreds of user comments, talked to a lot of people (both with the iPhone and a phone with Android OS), and that's how I eventually decided on the Samsung Galaxy II S. I probably went overboard on researching, but I use my phone (as an actual phone) a lot (all over the state), so I had to make sure I ended up with a good phone.

Although it hasn't even been a week, there is nothing I have found that is a negative about this phone. But, I'll keep you posted.

oudavid1
1/25/2012, 09:48 AM

This coming from the dad of two awesome sets of twins!

oudavid1
1/25/2012, 09:59 AM
I am a computer science major(which means I am a big nerd). Iphone's are overrated and over-priced. I have the EVO Shift 4G. That battery life does suck but I got an app called juice defender that makes it last literally twice as long. But my favorite app is Beyond Pod. It automatically updates and downloads my podcasts and plays them for me in an automatic custom playlist. I love it. Another good dorid app is Automate It which is basically an advanced task-scheduler. It is legit and hardcore. I also have an app called Earthquake which automatically updates me or alerts me to any earthquake in Oklahoma and gives me a USGS report and location. Another great app is the Weatherbug app which always keeps the current temperature on the taskbar. Very helpful when you're leaving the house and want to know how cold it is. Last is Silent Time, this app is awesome. What it does is automatically turn off your ringer at anytime you specify or on a schedule. Like for me, it automatically turns over my ringer on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10:57am-2:15pm, and then again from 4:12pm - 7:01pm so that my phone will never make a sound during class. But the great thing is that it will turn the volume back up to the previous level before that period after it is over. So you dont have to remember to turn your ringer back on. You could use it to make your phone shut up at nights when you're sleeping or just at work. Anyway, just my thoughts.

PS: Everyone with an iPhone thinks it is the greatest thing ever. So I like to ask, if it so great, why have the made 5 different versions in 5 years. Oh wait, I know, because dumb a** college kids will wait in line for the "new" phone because Apple will always act like they dont have enough. My EVO Shift is still up to date and as fast as it has always been and it is 2 years old.

Lott's Bandana
1/25/2012, 12:41 PM
PS: Everyone with an iPhone thinks it is the greatest thing ever. So I like to ask, if it so great, why have the made 5 different versions in 5 years. Oh wait, I know, because dumb a** college kids will wait in line for the "new" phone because Apple will always act like they dont have enough. My EVO Shift is still up to date and as fast as it has always been and it is 2 years old.

Although I stated earlier that Android's may be absolutely marvelous, I wanted to point out that anyone that has been updating their 2 1/2 year-old iPhone 3GS has a phone that is up-to-date and as fast as its always been. Not everyone has run out and purchased new iPhones upon release.

Also, my iPhone 1 can still tell me what the temperature is outside...without an app.

oudavid1
1/25/2012, 12:43 PM
Although I stated earlier that Android's may be absolutely marvelous, I wanted to point out that anyone that has been updating their 2 1/2 year-old iPhone 3GS has a phone that is up-to-date and as fast as its always been. Not everyone has run out and purchased new iPhones upon release.

Also, my iPhone 1 can still tell me what the temperature is outside...without an app.

Well most adults who have iPhones stick with the one they have. Its the dam kids these days that think they need a new everything. What they dont realize is something is only new for one day. And f*** your app (I am jealous :D ). My apps could be up your apps. (But they wont cause they're all talk).

8timechamps
1/25/2012, 08:06 PM
I am a computer science major(which means I am a big nerd). Iphone's are overrated and over-priced. I have the EVO Shift 4G. That battery life does suck but I got an app called juice defender that makes it last literally twice as long. But my favorite app is Beyond Pod. It automatically updates and downloads my podcasts and plays them for me in an automatic custom playlist. I love it. Another good dorid app is Automate It which is basically an advanced task-scheduler. It is legit and hardcore. I also have an app called Earthquake which automatically updates me or alerts me to any earthquake in Oklahoma and gives me a USGS report and location. Another great app is the Weatherbug app which always keeps the current temperature on the taskbar. Very helpful when you're leaving the house and want to know how cold it is. Last is Silent Time, this app is awesome. What it does is automatically turn off your ringer at anytime you specify or on a schedule. Like for me, it automatically turns over my ringer on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10:57am-2:15pm, and then again from 4:12pm - 7:01pm so that my phone will never make a sound during class. But the great thing is that it will turn the volume back up to the previous level before that period after it is over. So you dont have to remember to turn your ringer back on. You could use it to make your phone shut up at nights when you're sleeping or just at work. Anyway, just my thoughts.

I'll check out some of those apps (especially the Silent Time one). Thanks for the input.

delhalew
1/26/2012, 11:10 AM

I didn't know about Beyond Pod. I'm using it right now. Thanks.

jumperstop
1/26/2012, 06:17 PM
I just randomly found a Cardigraph app the other day. You put your finger over the camera/flash and it tell you your heart beat. It works alright cause I tested it out on my dad when he was in the hospital hooked up to their professional machine.

oudavid1
1/26/2012, 07:54 PM
I'll check out some of those apps (especially the Silent Time one). Thanks for the input.

Great example, some kid today in class had is iPhone go off and it was in his pocket. Really embarrassing. Took him forever to shut it up.

I didn't know about Beyond Pod. I'm using it right now. Thanks.

Dude, its a lifesaver. I love it. I commute to campus and it makes long drives so much easier. Podcasts are awesome.

Use the autoplay playlist. You can set it up to play the most recently downloaded podcast of any feed in any order.

mine goes like this.

Tony Kornheiser show (favorite)
Scott Van Pelt
Dan LeBatard
Mike and Mike
Colin Cowherd

And it automatically updates them as they are downloaded. Its A+ work.

delhalew
1/26/2012, 11:48 PM
Great example, some kid today in class had is iPhone go off and it was in his pocket. Really embarrassing. Took him forever to shut it up.

Dude, its a lifesaver. I love it. I commute to campus and it makes long drives so much easier. Podcasts are awesome.

Use the autoplay playlist. You can set it up to play the most recently downloaded podcast of any feed in any order.

mine goes like this.

Tony Kornheiser show (favorite)
Scott Van Pelt
Dan LeBatard
Mike and Mike
Colin Cowherd

And it automatically updates them as they are downloaded. Its A+ work.

I don't know what features will go away after the trial. If I fall in love, I'll pay for it.

oudavid1
1/27/2012, 08:59 AM
I don't know what features will go away after the trial. If I fall in love, I'll pay for it.

I think the only thing that goes away is the automatic update. Its not really necessary but I was willing in paying for it.

CobraKai
1/30/2012, 03:35 PM
Convincing an iPhone user to switch to Android (or vice versa) is like convincing a Republican to become a Democrat, or vice versa. People from those two camps seem to be staunch defenders of their phones and can't be convinced otherwise. Strangely Blackberry and Windows Phone users don't seem to suffer from this behaviour.

Probably a good sign that iPhones and many Androids are pretty awesome phones in general.

8timechamps
1/30/2012, 05:27 PM
Convincing an iPhone user to switch to Android (or vice versa) is like convincing a Republican to become a Democrat, or vice versa. People from those two camps seem to be staunch defenders of their phones and can't be convinced otherwise. Strangely Blackberry and Windows Phone users don't seem to suffer from this behaviour.

Probably a good sign that iPhones and many Androids are pretty awesome phones in general.

I had a Blackberry for a long, long time (pretty much from the time they came out until recently). The reason I was so stuck to Blackberry was for the ease of using email. Now, email is available on pretty much every phone, so the only real reason I moved away from the Blackberry was for screen size.

I love my Droid, but if the iPhone offered me something that I really needed (and couldn't get on Android), I'd switch. But, all in all, I think you're right. Seems like users of both are very partial to their brand.

delhalew
1/31/2012, 08:30 AM
I'm not attached to anything. Whatever gives me the best product, gets the money. Apple is famous for their fanboys. I admit that Itunes turned me into an anti-apple zealot.

oudavid1
1/31/2012, 07:40 PM
I had a Blackberry for a long, long time (pretty much from the time they came out until recently). The reason I was so stuck to Blackberry was for the ease of using email. Now, email is available on pretty much every phone, so the only real reason I moved away from the Blackberry was for screen size.

I love my Droid, but if the iPhone offered me something that I really needed (and couldn't get on Android), I'd switch. But, all in all, I think you're right. Seems like users of both are very partial to their brand.

I dont buy the iPhone because they make one model and its outdated once a year. I have the Evo Shift 4G, there is no better version of it. It also has an FM tuner (not in an iPhone) that gives me live(not on an app, actual live) radio so I can listen to OU games while at the game without an extra radio. And if someone calls me during the game I will actually here my ringer.

8timechamps
1/31/2012, 07:43 PM
I dont buy the iPhone because they make one model and its outdated once a year. I have the Evo Shift 4G, there is no better version of it. It also has an FM tuner (not in an iPhone) that gives me live(not on an app, actual live) radio so I can listen to OU games while at the game without an extra radio. And if someone calls me during the game I will actually here my ringer.

That's the big difference between iPhone and non-iPhone users that I've noticed, they (not all) buy the latest iPhone because it's the latest iPhone, not because it's the best phone out there.

jumperstop
1/31/2012, 09:00 PM

Yes there is....it's called the regular Evo...the one without the keyboard, the original. Or perhaps the Evo 3D...I will say the Evo is one of the better Android phones out there...

delhalew
2/1/2012, 10:28 AM
Yes there is....it's called the regular Evo...the one without the keyboard, the original. Or perhaps the Evo 3D...I will say the Evo is one of the better Android phones out there...

I've had my EVO for about 2 years with no need to upgrade. I will start looking to see if a new version of the Galaxy can beat it over the next year. Regardless, I will have had a cream of the crop phone for 3 years with one device. I love that.

CobraKai
2/1/2012, 10:40 AM

I had a Blackberry for a while too, and used to love it when it was essentially my only option for receiving corporate email. I have the iPhone, but I've played around with several Droids, and they are great phones too.

oudavid1
2/1/2012, 02:36 PM
That's the big difference between iPhone and non-iPhone users that I've noticed, they (not all) buy the latest iPhone because it's the latest iPhone, not because it's the best phone out there.

lol those new samsung commercials making fun of them are LOL! kinda ******y, but still funny. Risky move by samsung in my eyes.

Ah, but better is subjective. lol the EVO is too big and a waste of battery and I like physical keyboards because im old school like that. EVO 3D, see waste of good battery comment.

8timechamps
2/1/2012, 11:27 PM
Ah, but better is subjective. lol the EVO is too big and a waste of battery and I like physical keyboards because im old school like that. EVO 3D, see waste of good battery comment.

I had trouble getting used to the touch screen keyboard for about a week (because I have big *** hands), but now I'm wondering what took me so long to get a touch screen phone. I love it!

oudavid1
2/2/2012, 02:37 PM
I had trouble getting used to the touch screen keyboard for about a week (because I have big *** hands), but now I'm wondering what took me so long to get a touch screen phone. I love it!

and see with me it is that I can have touch screen phone and physical keyboard when i need it. I to have awkward hands.

Curly Bill
2/2/2012, 02:57 PM
Touch screen rulez!!

...but yeah, I had to get used to it first.

jumperstop
2/2/2012, 03:08 PM
and see with me it is that I can have touch screen phone and physical keyboard when i need it. I to have awkward hands.

That's kinda why I went with the original Epic 4g, but after having it for a while I realized I never used the keyboard anyways and it just added too much weight and size.

oudavid1
2/2/2012, 06:47 PM
That's kinda why I went with the original Epic 4g, but after having it for a while I realized I never used the keyboard anyways and it just added too much weight and size.

No such thing!

:D