PDA

View Full Version : Joe Paterno Near Death....

Straz1999
1/21/2012, 06:39 PM
http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/penn-st-nittany-lions/2012/1/21/2724178/joe-paterno-near-death-penn-state-health

Sounds like it could be any day now.

LVSOONER15
1/21/2012, 06:50 PM
Looks pretty serious. Told old for any treatment.

oudavid1
1/21/2012, 06:53 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7487597/spokesman-says-joe-paterno-condition-serious-further-complications

Joe Paterno, Division I's all-time winningest coach who was fired by Penn State in November, has experienced further complications from treatment from lung cancer and is in "serious" condition, a family spokesman said in a statement Saturday.

"Over the last few days Joe Paterno has experienced further health complications," a Paterno family spokesman said Saturday. "His doctors have now characterized his status as serious. His family will have no comment on the situation and asks that their privacy be respected during this difficult time."

The 85-year old Paterno has been battling lung cancer.

A source told The Citizens' Voice on Saturday that the Paterno family has asked close friends and former staff members to come to the Mount Nittany Medical Center in State College where Paterno has been undergoing treatment.

Paterno won two national championships and a Division I record 409 games over 46 seasons at Penn State and the Paterno family has donated millions of dollars to the school.

But Paterno's legacy was clouded in the wake of a sexual abuse scandal that has resulted in 52 counts of child molestation against former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky. Paterno had announced his retirement early on Nov. 9, but the Penn State board of trustees fired him and school president Graham Spanier about 12 hours later.

Paterno's cancer diagnosis was revealed Nov. 18, just nine days after he was fired. He recently re-entered the hospital after complications arose from his cancer treatments.

Prayers coach, you were an inspiration and symbol of greatness.

oudavid1
1/21/2012, 06:56 PM
From what I am hearing, it sounds like he is on his way out. Family is not commenting but asking that friends in family get to State College as soon as possible.

Frozen Sooner
1/21/2012, 06:58 PM
They should probably just tell their boss that he's not doing well then ignore it.

Straz1999
1/21/2012, 06:59 PM
Yeah, it sure sounds like it. The scandal has to have taken a major toll on this guy.

En_Fuego
1/21/2012, 07:06 PM
He will be forgiven in never, never land. Joe Pa was Penn St. Sorry to see him Die. He should have called the Cops........No More.

ashley
1/21/2012, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=En_Fuego;3444130]He will be forgiven in never, never land. Joe Pa was Penn St. Sorry to see him Die. He should have c

alled the Cops........No More.[/QUOTE

You don't know the whole story.

oumartin
1/21/2012, 08:14 PM
Turd_Ferguson
1/21/2012, 08:19 PM
[QUOTE=En_Fuego;3444130]He will be forgiven in never, never land. Joe Pa was Penn St. Sorry to see him Die. He should have c

alled the Cops........No More.[/QUOTE

You don't know the whole story.and you do...

JohnnyMack
1/21/2012, 08:23 PM
From what I am hearing, it sounds like he is on his way out. Family is not commenting but asking that friends in family get to State College as soon as possible.

From what you're hearing? You mean on your secret site called ESPN?

Japs Bomb Pearl Harbor! More news with our correspondent David at 11.

olevetonahill
1/21/2012, 08:32 PM
Adios Mother ****er

stoops the eternal pimp
1/21/2012, 08:42 PM
prayers for his family..

olevetonahill
1/21/2012, 08:47 PM
prayers for his family..
Family? YES . Him? Not so much

nighttrain12
1/21/2012, 09:26 PM
The man is 85 years old. He's lived more than a full life and we all die some time. I'll save my prayers for sick kids and their families.

Wishboned
1/21/2012, 09:31 PM
Where's Curly Bill with his "well bye" pic?

8timechamps
1/21/2012, 09:39 PM
The scandal didn't kill JoPa....JoPa was/is old, and we all die. Not too long ago, a couple of us posted that JoPa probably wouldn't last long after "retiring". If you live long enough, you'll see people die after they retire. Me? Not so much, I'm looking forward to retirement too much.

BoulderSooner79
1/21/2012, 09:47 PM
Dang, I was hoping to get JoePa as our new LB coach. Probably a long shot, because he was going to take a year or 2 off before deciding his long term plans.

Straz1999
1/22/2012, 10:57 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7489238/joe-paterno-ex-penn-state-nittany-lions-coach-dies-85-2-month-cancer-fight

JOE PATERNO PASSES.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/22/2012, 10:58 AM
Just heard. Joe passed away.

LVSOONER15
1/22/2012, 11:06 AM
Joe passed away.

badger
1/22/2012, 11:14 AM
All deaths are tragic to someone out there, so to those that mourn Joe Paterno, my thoughts and prayers.

I still find the situation at Penn State appalling. The fact that Joe Paterno is now dead does not change my opinion that someone with absolute power should have absolutely done more than pass the buck to other administrators. Innocent till proven guilty, but Joe Paterno already personally admitted that he should have done more.

It's time to move on, Penn State. Take some time to mourn, then remember that there were children who were victims in this situation, that were not 80-something coaches that were blessed with a top paying, top tier job coaching college football and adored and beloved by millions. Those kids might not have lost their lifetime dream job, but they lost their innocence. :(

hawaii 5-0
1/22/2012, 11:15 AM
I'm glad I got to see him coach one game in person at Camp Randall several years ago.

We was a legend, just like Bud and Barry.

5-0

stoopified
1/22/2012, 11:47 AM
RIP Joe Pa

StoopTroup
1/22/2012, 12:33 PM
Rest in Peace Joe....

You had some good Teams when you were Coach at Penn State.

SoonernAR
1/22/2012, 12:41 PM
I think it would be unfair to judge Paterno solely on not being more aggressive in dealing with this scandal. Assuming there is only this transgression, his body of work in life...football....and what he did for PSU is what he should be remembered for.

BudSooner
1/22/2012, 01:09 PM
Unfair? THat is one hell of a transgression if you ask me.

FaninAma
1/22/2012, 01:17 PM
They should probably just tell their boss that he's not doing well then ignore it.

You are an @$$.

Like I said when this first broke every professor, teacher or coach in any public college or school in this country would have done exactly what Paterno did.....report SECOND HAND INFORMATION up the chain of command. If you go outside the chain of command and you are wrong and expose your employer to civil liability you are toast.

Penn State has a monstrous legal department for a reason and it sure isn't for employess to go out on their own to take on legal issues that happen on the property of the University.

BudSooner
1/22/2012, 01:41 PM
You are an @$$.

Like I said when this first broke every professor, teacher or coach in any public college or school in this country would have done exactly what Paterno did.....reprt it up the chain of command. If you go outside the chain of command and you are wrong and expose your employer to civil liability you are toast.

Penn State has a monstrous legal department for a reason and it sure isn't for employess to go out on their own to take on legal issues that happen on the property of the University.When it involves a child, the chain of command means ****.

C&CDean
1/22/2012, 01:48 PM
When it involves a child, the chain of command means ****.

Wrong. COC means everything - especially if it involves a child. You damn sure better cover the bases if you want to keep your job.

The only guys I hate out of this deal is the POS pedophile, and the chicken**** coach who caught him cornholing a kid. The coach should have beat that mother****er to within an inch of death when he caught him.

If you don't think this deal killed Joepa, you're kidding yourself.

C&CDean
1/22/2012, 01:49 PM
Oh yeah, RIP old man. If you did wrong, it'll come out in the warsh.

prrriiide
1/22/2012, 02:01 PM
When it involves a child, the chain of command means ****.

It means even more, you jackhole. In a case like this, you want everything done BY THE BOOK so that there's no way the perv beats the charges. Any defense attorney worth his salt would find a way to use any deviation from protocol as a means of defense. It ain't pretty, especially for the kids. But it's what you have to do in this legal environment.

FaninAma
1/22/2012, 02:03 PM
Dean, you know what I do fo a living and that I have done it for 22 years. Out of the hundreds of cases where abuse(sexual or physical) were alleged I have seen exactly 4 where somebody took it upon themselves to call CPS or the police instead of bringing the information to me or an ER physician. I have handled dozens of cases referred to me through the school system and in less than 10 % were the police or CPS involved and in those where a report had been filed it was by a principal or administrator who received a report from a subordinate, not the individual teacher or coach and none of them involved second hand reports......they all involved actual physical evidence of bruises or statements from the victims themselves.

Could Joe Paterno have been more aggressive? Yes, but I realize the flip side of that coin....especially when acting on second hand information.

People who wanted Joe Paterno to suffer and have his legacy burnt to the ground do not know sh%t about the legal requirements and burdens of operating within a large system like Penn State.

Sorry to get so bent out of shape on this one. I also imagine my 75 year old Dad having to deal with something like this and I do understand how out of his element he would have been. To not have sympathy for how things turned out for Paterno is mind boggling.

And this is not to distract from the victims of Sandusky but the most eggregious failures in their cases were not committed by Paterno.

BudSooner
1/22/2012, 02:06 PM
Oh yeah, RIP old man. If you did wrong, it'll come out in the warsh.If? As I remember the state police said in the following days "he was obligated to report this to local law enforcement" so on that note....yes he "did wrong" according to state law.

Personally I could not live with myself if I had known something like this had happened and DID not report it directly.
Would you not agree with that Dean?

TUSooner
1/22/2012, 02:09 PM
I have never been a Paterno wosrhipper. But I am kinda tired of hearing about how his career and life ended in "ignominy" and "disgrace" and was "tainted" etc. Disgrace is a relative thing. Yeah, it was a really bad way to go out, and his fault for not doing the right thing. His case should be a lesson to anyone in authority: know what your people are doing and don't hide from ugly facts.
But I wouldn't overdo it. It's not like he actually caused it all or was the villain. In a small way, he was Sandusky's victim, too. I mean, it was evidently just too hard for him to believe that his trusted friend of decades was a lieing piece of child-abusing filth who relied on people's misplaced trust to cover for him. Sandusky cared only about his sick desires, and I doubt he cares too much that he brought down Paterno with his selfish arrogance. Which is yet another reason Sandusky is among the lowest scum on earth. I would call Paterno's end unfortunate or even calamitous, but let's reember who the real bad guy is.

In time people will remember more about Paterno than the Sandusky crimes. That's good, as long as they never forget that Sandusky is a worthless piece of ****.

BudSooner
1/22/2012, 02:10 PM
It means even more, you jackhole. In a case like this, you want everything done BY THE BOOK so that there's no way the perv beats the charges. Any defense attorney worth his salt would find a way to use any deviation from protocol as a means of defense. It ain't pretty, especially for the kids. But it's what you have to do in this legal environment.Jackhole eh? I take it you are an authority on the subject? Cornholed any kids lately?

prrriiide
1/22/2012, 02:15 PM
If? As I remember the state police said in the following days "he was obligated to report this to local law enforcement" so on that note....yes he "did wrong" according to state law.

Personally I could not live with myself if I had known something like this had happened and DID not report it directly.
Would you not agree with that Dean?

Then whoever from the state police said this needs to re-read the law. Penn law specifically says that an educator is to report to his superior and the superior is required to report up the chain of command until it reaches the top - principal our institutional president - who it's the one required to report to LEO.

And could you live with yourself if your well-meaning zeal results in an action that gets a guilty-as-sin perv off the hook?

GrapevineSooner
1/22/2012, 02:18 PM
I have never been a Paterno wosrhipper. But I am kinda tired of hearing about how his career and life ended in "ignominy" and "disgrace" and was "tainted" etc. Disgrace is a relative thing. Yeah, it was a really bad way to go out, and his fault for not doing the right thing. His case should be a lesson to anyone in authority: know what your people are doing and don't hide from ugly facts.
But I wouldn't overdo it. It's not like he actually caused it all or was the villain. In a small way, he was Sandusky's victim, too. I mean, it was evidently just too hard for him to believe that his trusted friend of decades was a lieing piece of child-abusing filth who relied on people's misplaced trust to cover for him. Sandusky cared only about his sick desires, and I doubt he cares too much that he brought down Paterno with his selfish arrogance. Which is yet another reason Sandusky is among the lowest scum on earth. I would call Paterno's end unfortunate or even calamitous, but let's reember who the real bad guy is.

In time people will remember more about Paterno than the Sandusky crimes. That's good, as long as they never forget that Sandusky is a worthless piece of ****.

This.

Paterno certianly could have and should have done more.

But what he did is a far cry from doing nothing or covering it up.

Or anything Sandusky did.

prrriiide
1/22/2012, 02:22 PM
Jackhole eh? I take it you are an authority on the subject? Cornholed any kids lately?

Be warned: if I ever see you in person I am going to kick your tooth in.

ashley
1/22/2012, 02:54 PM
Wow, this page has some people who have shown some maturity and one even was kind enough tp point out the law. I was in the school business for forty years and the rule was you reported this kind of stuff to your superior.

FirstandGoal
1/22/2012, 03:25 PM
I'll be honest here. I have no idea how the laws of Pennsylvania read and was is legal, not legal, technicality, etc...

It could be that JoePa did everything 100% legally correct. Right now though, I'm pretty sure that we'll never know for sure. I really do think that the only person that truly knew if Joe did everything that he could have done, both legally and morally died last night. My biggest prayer right now is that Joe made his peace with God before he went and that at the very least we all are a little more aware of these kinds of tragedies.

aero
1/22/2012, 03:51 PM
Sometimes you just can't make stuff up to be as odd as reality. Who'd a thunk Joe Pa going out like he did? Well, he was an icon. I think he probably was a genuinely good guy with good intentions. He did a lot of good in his life. He affected a lot of people in a positive way. It's just a shame he didn't speak up more about the situation. He knew he should have. Everybody else knows it too. A real shame. RIP. Maybe if he had said more it might have saved 1 more kid from Sandusky. He wasn't alone. But he could have done more. A real shame.

Frozen Sooner
1/22/2012, 03:53 PM
You are an @$$.

And you're defending a guy who kept quiet in the face of pederasty. Because you like him as a football coach.

8timechamps
1/22/2012, 04:43 PM
At this point, it makes no difference what any of us think of Joe (not that it ever did). I think in death it's easier to justify a separation of a person's accomplishments and their failures. Paterno will be remembered as the winningest college coach of our time, but he'll also always be remembered as the guy who didn't do enough.

I'm sure for the close friends and family this is a sad day. However, JoPa was 85 and it's not completely unexpected.

oudavid1
1/22/2012, 05:15 PM
From what you're hearing? You mean on your secret site called ESPN?

Japs Bomb Pearl Harbor! More news with our correspondent David at 11.

This, right here, is a perfect example of someone making a thread about me. Im such an attention whore.

BudSooner
1/22/2012, 05:16 PM
Be warned: if I ever see you in person I am going to kick your tooth in.
Yeah, i'm ****ing scared internet tough guy.

BudSooner
1/22/2012, 05:16 PM
And you're defending a guy who kept quiet in the face of pederasty. Because you like him as a football coach.Perfectly said.

sooneron
1/22/2012, 05:54 PM
All that I can say is that it's too bad that his life ended in the state that it did.

En_Fuego
1/22/2012, 06:03 PM
All that I can say is that it's too bad that his life ended in the state that it did.

He had control of his destiny. Just one simple phone call could have secured his legend. But he made a different decision.

wishbonesooner
1/22/2012, 06:15 PM
It's never a good idea to judge someone by the best things in a person's life, or the worst. Best to look to the middle. Joe did a lot of good for people, not just football players. I think God will judge him by the amount of good he did, and unlike some of us, will forgive his mistakes.

Scott D
1/22/2012, 06:20 PM
I just wonder how some of the holier than thou crowd in this thread would feel if they had "taken matters into their own hands' like they're free to say they would have done from behind a keyboard would have been feeling if by not following the protocols in place not only would a child molester get acquitted of the charges, but then turned around and sued each of them for malicious slander, and other assorted civil matters and won simply because they went outside of the chain of command to handle the situation.

Whet
1/22/2012, 06:34 PM
Then whoever from the state police said this needs to re-read the law. Penn law specifically says that an educator is to report to his superior and the superior is required to report up the chain of command until it reaches the top - principal our institutional president - who it's the one required to report to LEO.

And could you live with yourself if your well-meaning zeal results in an action that gets a guilty-as-sin perv off the hook?

He may have beat the "butt ****ing the kid in the shower" charge, however there are several other victims that have come forward whose cases would not be dropped.

1/22/2012, 07:18 PM
Jo Pa gave me a kidney once. God bless 'em.

nighttrain12
1/22/2012, 08:05 PM
He reported it to his superiors as the law required. I'd still like to know what happened next. Did Joe Pa ever bring the subject up again with the administrators he first reported it to? Did he ever bring it up to McQueary again? Let's not forget, he didn't see anything happen. He didn't know if for a fact that a law had been broken, only McQueary KNEW that had happened.

prrriiide
1/22/2012, 09:43 PM
And just in case anyone has forgotten...one of the higher-ups at PSU that was indicted was the Chief of campus police. You know...the law enforcement organization with jurisdiction over the PSU locker rooms and showers. Looks to me like Joe Pa going to his superiors got the matter turned over to the authority with the most direct jurisdiction.

I just wonder how some of the holier than thou crowd in this thread would feel if they had "taken matters into their own hands' like they're free to say they would have done from behind a keyboard would have been feeling if by not following the protocols in place not only would a child molester get acquitted of the charges, but then turned around and sued each of them for malicious slander, and other assorted civil matters and won simply because they went outside of the chain of command to handle the situation.

Precisely. How exactly would you tell the parents and victims that because you thought you were all that and so dammed smart, that policy and procedure don't apply to you, the perv got away with it. Oh, and then have to give the perv all your schidt because you also got served with a 7-figure slander suit.

BB37
1/22/2012, 10:06 PM
Coach Paterno's death was sadly predictable. He once said he didn't want to retire because he didn't want to die; he probably sensed he wouldn't live long after retirement, let alone a forced retirement under humiliating circumstances.

It's unfortunate he had to die under a cloud of accusation after such a distinguished career. Hopefully, history will be kinder to him than the present.

StoopTroup
1/23/2012, 12:37 AM
It's unfortunate he had to die under a cloud of accusation after such a distinguished career. Hopefully, history will be kinder to him than the present.

I surely hope so as I don't think Joe would have handled the shower room incident that McQueary described the way McQueary did. I think it would have killed him right then and there and the Police would have been forced to do way more than they did. IMO...McQueary and the Campus Police should be ashamed in how they reacted to Sandusky's assault of that child.

I surely hope the History Books do not end up with a history that ends up with Jerry Sandusky walking the streets of America as a free man.

Crimsontothecore
1/23/2012, 08:42 PM
I heard someone on the radio make a great point concerning the question of whether Paterno did everything he should have. The question was: Would he have handled it the same if it had been his grandchild in that shower? The obvious answer confirms that he in no way did every thing he could have and should have. I'm sick of people defending his "legacy" by saying this was just ONE mistake. It's disturbing how easy some people discount the importance of one child.