PDA

View Full Version : Is stoops slow in making staff changes?

basel90
1/21/2012, 12:18 PM
I was observing how other coaches usually make swift staff changes whenever there is a noticeable drop in certain categories. Venables and Bobby Jack Wright were the ones at the helm defensively during our 2004 season which culminated in that game we don't want to mention with USC. BJW was actualy the DBs coach and Venables the Def Coordinator. USC put on OU more points durng that game than on any team they played that season. OU got torched for 35 twice during that season and there were warning signs. Our pass defense was vulnerable and our rush defense was below expectation for a top ranked team.
After the bowl game debacle, shouldn't there have been changes ? The next season, 2005, things got even worse defernsively and we know the following years were not that great defensively. In most schools i have seen coordinators gone after such breakdowns.
My point is , shouldn't stoops have made changes sooner? doesn't that send a bolder message for the staff and players ?

yermom
1/21/2012, 12:27 PM
in 2004 we had Bo Pelini as a co-defensive coordinator. i think his philosophy and Brent's were at odds. the USC game involved all phases, not just the defense. of course, the USC receivers catching anything within 10 yards of them didn't help either. we did give up 35 against both the Aggie teams on the road late in the season too, but at least 14 of those were on special teams or turnovers in both games, if i remember right

in 2005 our defense wasn't that bad. our offense was terrible. Bomar had 10 passing TDs all season. 10. (and people want to bitch about Laundry... we were excited about Bomar coming back the next year )

BJW did move from the secondary back to the D-Line at some point, but i don't remember when. it's hard to make that many wholesale changes when you aren't 5-7

basel90
1/21/2012, 01:38 PM
i agree with your point but it was obvious we had issues in 2004 defensively and now we are in 2012. Was the strategy to wait for Mike to be available or when Brent finds a suitable way out? isn't that risky and neglecting the reason for these breakdowns for so long , and not bringing in new talent to adapt to the obvious proliferation of spread offenses?

Seamus
1/21/2012, 01:43 PM
Bob's hesitance to lower the boom largely can be explained by his loyalty to his guys. That's a good thing, but it's also an inherent weakness, for reasons obvious to those of us on the outside.

But I'm thinking there might be another possibility to consider: arrogance.

By that, I'm wondering if Bob is thinking that we/he is so good that he can get it fixed without having to make coaching changes. "We're smart enough to figure out what our problem is without going to outside help."

That theory may not hold water, but it's worth considering.

OkieThunderLion
1/21/2012, 02:22 PM
I was observing how other coaches usually make swift staff changes whenever there is a noticeable drop in certain categories. Venables and Bobby Jack Wright were the ones at the helm defensively during our 2004 season which culminated in that game we don't want to mention with USC. BJW was actualy the DBs coach and Venables the Def Coordinator. USC put on OU more points durng that game than on any team they played that season. OU got torched for 35 twice during that season and there were warning signs. Our pass defense was vulnerable and our rush defense was below expectation for a top ranked team.
After the bowl game debacle, shouldn't there have been changes ? The next season, 2005, things got even worse defernsively and we know the following years were not that great defensively. In most schools i have seen coordinators gone after such breakdowns.
My point is , shouldn't stoops have made changes sooner? doesn't that send a bolder message for the staff and players ?

That's not correct. Bo Pelini was the DB coach and co-coordinator.

basel90
1/21/2012, 02:22 PM
Bob's hesitance to lower the boom largely can be explained by his loyalty to his guys. That's a good thing, but it's also an inherent weakness, for reasons obvious to those of us on the outside.

But I'm thinking there might be another possibility to consider: arrogance.

By that, I'm wondering if Bob is thinking that we/he is so good that he can get it fixed without having to make coaching changes. "We're smart enough to figure out what our problem is without going to outside help."

That theory may not hold water, but it's worth considering.

agreed. His loyalty is great and shows his hight charachter and makes workding for him very appealing by top assistants, all that is good. However he tends to be in denial once we get outchoched. And true to his genuine high character he is honest about it and says i we got outcoached a lot .

OkieThunderLion
1/21/2012, 02:23 PM
in 2005 our defense wasn't that bad. our offense was terrible. Bomar had 10 passing TDs all season. 10. (and people want to bitch about Laundry... we were excited about Bomar coming back the next year )

For such a young unit, '05 did pretty well considering the offense constantly putting them in a hole.

ashley
1/21/2012, 03:15 PM
The announcement will most likely be made after signing day. The wait is for a reason.

Soonerman08
1/21/2012, 03:52 PM
in 2004 we had Bo Pelini as a co-defensive coordinator. i think his philosophy and Brent's were at odds. the USC game involved all phases, not just the defense. of course, the USC receivers catching anything within 10 yards of them didn't help either. we did give up 35 against both the Aggie teams on the road late in the season too, but at least 14 of those were on special teams or turnovers in both games, if i remember right

BJW did move from the secondary back to the D-Line at some point, but i don't remember when. it's hard to make that many wholesale changes when you aren't 5-7

BJW moved back to D-Ends in 2010 when Martinez was hired.

MamaMia
1/21/2012, 06:44 PM
I doubt very seriously that Coach Stoops is the only one making coaching position changes. We do have a board of regents and an AD that are involved it that as well.

Scott D
1/21/2012, 08:54 PM
God this is hilarious, just a few years ago people weren't complaining that he was politely showing coaches the door fast enough, but the situation simmers one year with two coaches and all of a sudden he's slow at making staff changes.

ashley
1/21/2012, 08:54 PM
I doubt very seriously that Coach Stoops is the only one making coaching position changes. We do have a board of regents and an AD that are involved it that as well.

bob makes these decisions by himself.

C&CDean
1/21/2012, 08:57 PM
I weep for some of you dumb ****s.

cccasooner2
1/21/2012, 09:08 PM
God this is hilarious, just a few years ago people weren't complaining that he was politely showing coaches the door fast enough, but the situation simmers one year with two coaches and all of a sudden he's slow at making staff changes.

We're a pretty smart bunch, but a little slow.

wishbonesooner
1/21/2012, 10:29 PM
Another dumb *** votes YES.

MamaMia
1/22/2012, 02:14 AM
bob makes these decisions by himself. No he doesn't.

StoopTroup
1/22/2012, 03:01 AM
Bob likes to flip a coin when he makes Coaching changes but he can't find anyone to make change for a 100.

stoopified
1/22/2012, 10:05 AM
no

Scott D
1/22/2012, 05:28 PM
No he doesn't.

Mama's mostly right. Sure he can make a decision to send a guy on his way or help him move on his way, but he doesn't get absolute and final say on who comes on board.