PDA

View Full Version : I know...but 2 yrs down the road...hmmmm

Soonerjeepman
1/20/2012, 12:28 PM
looking after next yr...we lose our starting 5 for this yr..

we have 2 6'5 guards and Henry coming in next yr...are those the only 3 scholly's given out for next yr? (I'm assuming so) That will leave us with a young team...those 3 will be soph, 5 freshman (replacing the 5 leaving), 4 Sr - Clark, Neal, M'Baye, Kruger and 1 Jr Franschilla...

I know...2 yrs down the road..a lot can change...I'm enjoying the play of this yr...much more heart...bored and just a point to discuss...

badger
1/20/2012, 12:53 PM
In two years, you have to consider that Lonster Monster will be bringing in new recruits, both juco and high school guys and there's many factors. Consider OU's program two years after Blake Griffin's NBA jump. Anyone expect us to be firing Capel with our McD's All Americans and Willie Warren's return? Ouch!

But, I think the future is bright. The warning signs were there in Griffin bro's last season and we don't see those same red flags this year. Lon Kruger is a good coach and has the players on the same page. I think the future is bright.

How bright? I don't think we'll be Sweet 16 regulars or competing for the Big 12 yet, but I see us at least contending in virtually every game we play. I think that's about all we should ask at this point, absent another Blake Griffin coming aboard.

Now... you wanna talk future bright in two years? Look at our womens team. Our starters are mostly sophomores (Hook, Ellenberg, Griffin) and we have solid off-the-bench contributors that are freshmen (Harden, Campbell, Williams). We are gonna pwn the Big 12 in two years... and in the womens game, no worries about pro jumpers :D

Soonerjeepman
1/20/2012, 01:57 PM
true...oh I'm very excited about Kruger...think he is doing the right thing the right way...

never worried about Coale...the beginning of this yr is a little dip, but we'll be better by the end and yes the future is bright...Hopefully we can get a dominating center...6'4 type...Nicole seems a little too frail..but sure she'll get better...just seems when we play the top dogs they have that piece that we haven't had (minus the Paris girls...) haven't had the chance to watch any womens games...

badger
1/20/2012, 02:03 PM
true...oh I'm very excited about Kruger...think he is doing the right thing the right way...

This really is the key -- doing things the right way, not cutting corners. We might not get Final Fours... immediately at least... but we won't have to yank down banners after the fact like Minnesota, Memphis, Michigan and others have.

Or, worst still, we could do things the wrong way and end up still sucking, alienating our fanbase even when we have a good head coach in charge due to bad aftertaste. :mad:

You should definitely check out at least a few womens games. They're actually televising them now... not sure if that extends to Kansas or not, but if it does, take your chance when you can!

Soonerjeepman
1/20/2012, 02:28 PM
lol...Badger...remember I'm the guy who doesn't have cable..divorced...lol..
I actually coached HS girls for 4 yrs and my sis played at Kstate back in 78/79 then Wichita State...I enjoy the women's game. Usually go to the games at KU when they are here. Need to check the net to see if they are archived....and typical guy..coach Coale is...ummmm nice to look at! ;-)

badger
1/20/2012, 02:31 PM
Yeah... all us chicks aspire to look as good as Sherri Coale when we are in our mid-40s (She turns 47 this year I think). This season might age her a bit more than the others though.

Soonerjeepman
1/20/2012, 03:00 PM
nice...she's my age..to bad she's married and in Norman...lol

.funny story..I saw her standing around at the OU / mu football game...she was just standing there...prob half the folks had no idea who she was...anyways, I go up and talk to her for about 5 minutes...tell her good luck and enjoy her job coaching...very personable...

EatLeadCommie
1/26/2012, 11:59 AM
Youth is less and less an issue in the men's college game when the top teams consistently recruit stars who are one and done or two and done type of players.

Soonerjeepman
1/26/2012, 12:11 PM
true IF you have the same talent...not trying to bash our guys but it is what it is...Coach K gets some high level talent then yes, our youth won't be a big deal...I think we'll be fine in the long run. Guess my point was 2 yrs of these 5 guys basically playing 80% of the time, we will have some growing pains. Hopefully next yr the guys coming in and the Wyoming transfer can get some minutes in to be prepared to carry the load the next yr.