PDA

View Full Version : Change is good

8timechamps
1/19/2012, 06:05 PM
That's the saying anyway, right? HCBS made some significant changes this off-season (and it's barely the off-season) that gives me confidence that Bob remains motivated and dedicated to our beloved program. Whether there was truth to the rumors about the team being dysfunctional, all of the changes made (both coaching and transfers) will hopefully bode well for 2012.

While I am anxious to see what Mike brings to the defense (I love watching a hard hitting, smash-mouth defense with an attitude), I am also cautiously optimistic. Just because a coach that had success returns to the scene of said success does not guarantee future success. Hopefully, in this case, it will.

On paper, this years recruiting class looks to be one of the best under Stoops watch. Adding a couple more players between now and national signing day will only add to the already impressive list of talent coming in next season.

Now, how do I find a way to pass the time until next season?

LVSOONER15
1/19/2012, 06:14 PM
Can't wait till next season as well. Hopefully this team matures and becomes really hungry to win.

soonercoop1
1/19/2012, 06:16 PM
Can't wait till next season as well. Hopefully this team matures and becomes really hungry to win.

After being at Arizona for several years I would guess Mike is hungry to win again as well...

rainiersooner
1/19/2012, 06:17 PM
Time will tell, but I do think the program was needing some shaking up. All the best to Venables.

8timechamps
1/19/2012, 08:07 PM
After being at Arizona for several years I would guess Mike is hungry to win again as well...

Very true. I imagine Mike is happy to be able to attract top talent again too.

ClemsonGrad94
1/19/2012, 08:25 PM
I know the feeling...I have the same expectations for my Tigers next season. We have way too much talent to let it waste away. I wish the Sooners the best of luck next year.

SoonernAR
1/19/2012, 08:44 PM
Change is good, I am very optimistic about next year now. :very_drunk:

goingoneight
1/19/2012, 10:25 PM
Change is inevitable with college football. The only great things you can hold onto, year in, year out are coaches if you take care of them and they desire to stay. I look at the changes in coaching like I do changes in personnel each season. Now, one thing is for damn certain, though... if you all were clamoring for Bob to fire Brent, BJW or Martinez... you'll NEVER get your wish if Mike doesn't get us back to where we need to be.
That said, I welcome change as well. I hope it doesn't turn into another 5-loss season ala 2005 or 2009, but change sometimes requires taking some baby steps. We do have a decent foundation for Mike to work with. The program is in WAY better shape now than it was in 1998. That said, the BIG 12 didn't light up many scoreboards in 1998, either. Mike's defenses, along with Brent's help were good at lining up and smashing you. They dared quarterbacks to win the game. Chrissy Simms, freshman Vince Young, Pogi, Beasely and Farris weren't as good as some of the guys that have come through in recent years. There's still going to be some tough times where we need OUr offense to be at it's absolute best... but that's usually true for all teams (unless you play in the SEC and the battles are more in the trenches than in the matchups).

What I hope for is that Mike by himself isn't like Brent by himself. I hope Brent does well at Clemson, but he obviously wasn't the same without Mike in the mix. In eight seasons, nor was Mike without Brent. Say what you will about it being Arizona and things being harder there, wah-wah... he was there for EIGHT YEARS. I hope he and our staff, whatever it looks like post-BV can get OU back to the kind of defense that you see Alabama, LSU, even TCU playing. Fast, hard-hitting and solid fundamental defense. I'd trade a bunch of fancy formations anyday for a team that sheds blockers and tackles well. I can remember Nebraska against Texas in 2009. NU was killing Colt McCoy with a simple four-man rush. It was all because they weren't whiffing on tackles and getting eaten up at the line of scrimmage. Granted, a boy named Suh helps out a lot... but it doesn't stop slip screens from going for TDs like Tech laid on us last year.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
1/20/2012, 07:50 AM
I know the feeling...I have the same expectations for my Tigers next season. We have way too much talent to let it waste away. I wish the Sooners the best of luck next year.

Ah, a Clemson fan. Welcome aboard.

oudavid1
1/20/2012, 08:47 AM

Sammy Watkins is every bit a five star. But your QB is mediocre(like ours at the moment)

picasso
1/20/2012, 09:04 AM
Sammy Watkins is every bit a five star. But your QB is mediocre(like ours at the moment)
Great quote there sports fans.

colleyvillesooner
1/20/2012, 09:30 AM
So the best statistical Quarterback in our schools history is mediocre?

Pardon my french, but you're a dumbass.

Jesus.

oudavid1
1/20/2012, 09:43 AM

Jesus.

One touchdown is the last 5 games.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1203/rn_u_landryjones1_ms_300.jpg

colleyvillesooner
1/20/2012, 10:24 AM
One touchdown is the last 5 games.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1203/rn_u_landryjones1_ms_300.jpg

Actually it was 3, but whatever, it's just math.

12 Td's in the last 5 games.
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1105/rn_u_blakebell_ms_200.jpg

No No. 1 receiver, double digit drops. Think that had anything to do with it? Was he bad against OSU? Yes. Was the rest of the team putrid as well?

Last I checked Landry passed for 1300+ yards in those games and wasn't the one on defense giving up all time record yardage allowed.

oudavid1
1/20/2012, 10:35 AM
Actually it was 3, but whatever, it's just math.I meant 4 games, since Broyles got hurt.

12 Td's in the last 5 games. The Tebow offense.
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1105/rn_u_blakebell_ms_200.jpg

No No. 1 receiver, double digit drops. Think that had anything to do with it? Was he bad against OSU? Yes. Was the rest of the team putrid as well?
Kenny Stills is a good enough receiver, Jaz Reynolds.
Last I checked Landry passed for 1300+ yards in those games and wasn't the one on defense giving up all time record yardage allowed.

Landry had 1 TD and 6 INTs after Broyles got hurt. THATS HORRIBLE. You dont put in the 3rd string guy if your first string QB is not mediocre. It is a Chris Leak/Tebow scenario. He is mediocre. He has been great, he has been bad. Sam was never this bad. I will give you he slightly better than Mediocre, but he is not great. Great is consistent.

Curly Bill
1/20/2012, 10:41 AM
Landry is more Eli Manning than Peyton Manning - he can be really good at times, even great, and others he has that look in his eye that lets you know it might be a bumpy ride.

...but other than maybe Barkley I'm not sure there's any college QB's that are better.

oudavid1
1/20/2012, 10:46 AM
Landry is more Eli Manning than Peyton Manning - he can be really good at times, even great, and others he has that look in his eye that lets you know it might be a bumpy ride.

Whats funny is I like Landry Jones, I was soooo happy when he came back. I am just saying that he is not great.

Curly Bill
1/20/2012, 10:50 AM
Other than saying he's not great, I prefer to put it as I'm not sure he has that "something special" that when the chips are down he can put the team on his shoulders and carry them to victory, almost will them to victory. There are a lot of QB that don't have that, the ones that do are the special ones - the Brady's, Peyton Manning, etc...

oudavid1
1/20/2012, 11:00 AM
Other than saying he's not great, I prefer to put it as I'm not sure he has that "something special" that when the chips are down he can put the team on his shoulders and carry them to victory, almost will them to victory. There are a lot of QB that don't have that, the ones that do are the special ones - the Brady's, Peyton Manning, etc...

I agree, but he is so young compared to those guys and he has done a great job, but I have a lot of faith in him.

colleyvillesooner
1/20/2012, 11:00 AM
Landry had 1 TD and 6 INTs after Broyles got hurt. THATS HORRIBLE. You dont put in the 3rd string guy if your first string QB is not mediocre. It is a Chris Leak/Tebow scenario. He is mediocre. He has been great, he has been bad. Sam was never this bad. I will give you he slightly better than Mediocre, but he is not great. Great is consistent.

Blake was more about our goal line offenses as a whole, not just Landry.

oudavid1
1/20/2012, 11:09 AM
Blake was more about our goal line offenses as a whole, not just Landry.

Well my point is Landry is decent, but you dont bring in a 3rd string if you have a great/good QB.

Sooner_Bob
1/20/2012, 11:18 AM
Well my point is Landry is decent, but you dont bring in a 3rd string if you have a great/good QB.

Why risk getting Landry hurt in a QB sneak situation when you've got a 6'5" 250 lb. freak on the bench who is capable of running over folks? Many teams have packages for specific situations.

oudavid1
1/20/2012, 12:59 PM
Why risk getting Landry hurt in a QB sneak situation when you've got a 6'5" 250 lb. freak on the bench who is capable of running over folks? Many teams have packages for specific situations.

Well in most cases when Bell is put in, it is inside the 20 yard line. A sneak in theory is used in a 1 yard or less distance to gain. Also, I dont believe injuries to quarterbacks really ever occur during a sneak situation. But I do agree that Blake is a freak and I like how they use him. My argument is that Landry is decent. His potential is very high though. I am truly happy he is coming back. But I think Mediocre is a decent enough characterization of his performance over the last few games. The chips were down and so was he. But I do have faith that he will work hard and change my opinion of him. I would still want my Titans to draft him in the first round if we needed a QB.

picasso
1/20/2012, 02:37 PM
Florida had a really good QB a few years ago who was spelled often times by another running QB. I bring this up because you were probably in 5th grade then.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/20/2012, 02:39 PM
He is saying Chris Leake is mediocre also....

picasso
1/20/2012, 02:48 PM
Whats funny is I like Landry Jones, I was soooo happy when he came back. I am just saying that he is not great.
Well duh, I think we can all agree on that. Landry has been really good at times, and I'm happy as heck he's coming back. So keep on telling some goober from another school who visits here that our QB is mediocre. Yeah, that's cool.

8timechamps
1/20/2012, 03:16 PM
Landry Jones is not mediocre. I wouldn't put him in the "great" category because (as Curly Bill pointed out) he doesn't have that special "will his team to win" quality that great QBs have. However, I thought his leadership in the bowl game was better than it had been all year and hope it continues to next season.

At one point, Kiper had Landry as the 4th OVERALL player on his big board, he's still going to be a first round pick (barring any injury). You don't get drafted in the first round if you're mediocre in college.

Bringing Bell in has nothing to do with Landry being "mediocre". Stoops uses Bell on short yardage because it's almost unstoppable. As a coach, when you have that option, you use it.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/20/2012, 03:33 PM
At one point, Kiper had Landry as the 4th OVERALL player on his big board, he's still going to be a first round pick (barring any injury). You don't get drafted in the first round if you're mediocre in college.

I agree with your post but Jake Locker, Matt Stafford, and Matt Ryan disagree with this statement :)

8timechamps
1/20/2012, 03:52 PM
I agree with your post but Jake Locker, Matt Stafford, and Matt Ryan disagree with this statement :)

That's why I added "in college". As we know, a high draft pick does not make a special player in the NFL. Also, as in the case with Jake Locker, I think they stand on their accomplishments over their entire time in college...not just the last year (i.e. Bradford).

In other words, Jake Locker, Matt Ryan and Matt Stafford all know I'm right. :)

colleyvillesooner
1/20/2012, 04:18 PM
Well in most cases when Bell is put in, it is inside the 20 yard line. A sneak in theory is used in a 1 yard or less distance to gain.
Not surprisingly, you are wrong. here are all his carries, excluding garbage time where he was in the whole series.

KSU
1st and G - KSU 1 - TD
3rd and 2 - KSU 42 - fumble -recovered-punt

A&M
3rd & 1 - OKLA 29 - 1st down
2nd & G - A&M 5 - 3 yards
3rd & G - A&M 2 - TD
3rd & 1 - A&M 35 - 1st down
3rd & 1 - A&M 24 - 1st down
3rd & 1 - OKLA 34 - Incomplete pass
3rd & 1 - OKLA 40 - 1st down
2nd & G - A&M 3 - TD

Baylor
4th and 1 - BAY 11 - 1st down
2nd and 2 - BAY 3 - TD
2nd & G - BAY 1 - TD
1st & G - BAY 4 - TD
1st & G - BAY 6 - TD

Iowa St.
3rd and 1 - ISU 13 - no gain
4th and 1 - ISU 13 - 1st down
1st and Goal - ISU 6 - no gain
2nd and Goal - ISU 1 - INT
1st and Goal - ISU 3 - TD
3rd and Goal - ISU 1 - TD
3rd and 1 at ISU 31 - no gain
4th and 1 at ISU 31 - 1st down
1st and Goal at ISU 1 - no gain

OSU
4th and 1 - OKST 28 - TD (down 44-3 at this point)

Iowa
2nd and Goal - IOWA 4 - TD
1st and Goal - IOWA 7 Blake Bell rush for 3 yards to the Iowa 4.
3rd and 3 - OKLA 37 - 2 yards
3rd and 2 - IOWA 43 - 1st down
2nd and 7 - IOWA 22 - 1 yard

Given whole series
1st and 10 - IOWA 30 - 1 yard
2nd and 9 - IOWA 29 - 5 yards
3rd and 4 - IOWA 24 - 3 yards
4th and 1 - IOWA 21 - TD

Only 4 times he didn't eventually get a 1st down or a TD and the Sooners either punted or turned it over.

That's why it was used so much.

Before the bowl game, he was only used outside the 20 on 1 yard to go situations.

Inside the 20, on non "1 to go" situations, the farthest out he got the ball was the 6 once and the 7 once. I would say he used, not because we had a redzone problem with Landry, but a inside the 8 run blocking problem.

Also, I don't believe injuries to quarterbacks really ever occur during a sneak situation.

Matt Schaub was injured for the season this year on a QB Sneak:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7235059/source-matt-schaub-houston-texans-season-lisfranc-injury

Tom Brady didn't practice some this week due to an injury suffered on, yep, a QB sneak:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/18/tom-brady-misses-entire-practice-with-left-shoulder-injury/

That's two this year in the NFL.

But I do agree that Blake is a freak and I like how they use him. My argument is that Landry is decent. His potential is very high though. I am truly happy he is coming back. But I think Mediocre is a decent enough characterization of his performance over the last few games. The chips were down and so was he. But I do have faith that he will work hard and change my opinion of him. I would still want my Titans to draft him in the first round if we needed a QB.

Chips were down? Check his 4th quarter performance in losses to Tech and Baylor. Did his job of tying the game. He didn't give up the go ahead TD's.

goingoneight
1/20/2012, 10:42 PM
David... we won a BIG 12 Championship in 2006 because Colt McCoy got hurt on a QB sneak.

oudavid1
1/21/2012, 12:48 PM
Not surprisingly, you are wrong. here are all his carries, excluding garbage time where he was in the whole series.

KSU
1st and G - KSU 1 - TD
3rd and 2 - KSU 42 - fumble -recovered-punt

A&M
2nd & G - A&M 5 - 3 yards
3rd & G - A&M 2 - TD
3rd & 1 - A&M 35 - 1st down
3rd & 1 - A&M 24 - 1st down
3rd & 1 - OKLA 34 - Incomplete pass
3rd & 1 - OKLA 40 - 1st down
2nd & G - A&M 3 - TD

Baylor
4th and 1 - BAY 11 - 1st down
2nd and 2 - BAY 3 - TD
2nd & G - BAY 1 - TD
1st & G - BAY 4 - TD
1st & G - BAY 6 - TD

Iowa St.
3rd and 1 - ISU 13 - no gain
4th and 1 - ISU 13 - 1st down
1st and Goal - ISU 6 - no gain
2nd and Goal - ISU 1 - INT
1st and Goal - ISU 3 - TD
3rd and Goal - ISU 1 - TD
3rd and 1 at ISU 31 - no gain
4th and 1 at ISU 31 - 1st down
1st and Goal at ISU 1 - no gain

OSU
4th and 1 - OKST 28 - TD (down 44-3 at this point)

Iowa
1st and Goal - IOWA 7 Blake Bell rush for 3 yards to the Iowa 4.
3rd and 3 - OKLA 37 - 2 yards
3rd and 2 - IOWA 43 - 1st down
2nd and 7 - IOWA 22 - 1 yard

Given whole series
1st and 10 - IOWA 30 - 1 yard
2nd and 9 - IOWA 29 - 5 yards
3rd and 4 - IOWA 24 - 3 yards
4th and 1 - IOWA 21 - TD

Only 4 times he didn't eventually get a 1st down or a TD and the Sooners either punted or turned it over.

That's why it was used so much.

Before the bowl game, he was only used outside the 20 on 1 yard to go situations.

Inside the 20, on non "1 to go" situations, the farthest out he got the ball was the 6 once and the 7 once. I would say he used, not because we had a redzone problem with Landry, but a inside the 8 run blocking problem.

Matt Schaub was injured for the season this year on a QB Sneak:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7235059/source-matt-schaub-houston-texans-season-lisfranc-injury
NFL QB, but ok. 1.
Tom Brady didn't practice some this week due to an injury suffered on, yep, a QB sneak:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/18/tom-brady-misses-entire-practice-with-left-shoulder-injury/
NFL QB, but ok. 2.
That's two this year in the NFL.

Chips were down? Check his 4th quarter performance in losses to TechHe played very well against that average defense, never said he didnt. and Baylor0 TDs and 1 pick. Also threw the ball way out of bounds on a forth down.. Did his job of tying the game. He didn't give up the go ahead TD's.

Yeah I know he dosnt play defense.

David... we won a BIG 12 Championship in 2006 because Colt McCoy got hurt on a QB sneak.

3 examples of it happening in the past 5 years. 3 times in an estimated 7,200 College Football games. I think that would be considered rare.

Guys, my argument of calling Landry mediocre is that he has done really bad (5 picks, or 0 TDs over a 4 game stretch) and really good (5 touchdowns in multiple games and 6 in one case). Mediocre. Against Florida State, he put up less than 200 yards, 1 TD and 2 picks. But against Kansas State he did really well. He also played Texas very well too(best game all season). But against Oklahoma State he had 4 turnovers. That is mediocre. He still has a lot of potential.

picasso
1/21/2012, 01:49 PM
You should have let this thread die brah.

agoo758
1/21/2012, 03:15 PM

Jesus.

The only "dumbass" I see is the one who draws all his conclusions only from numbers.

I have nothing against Landry personally, but he is not superstar, let's not kid ourselves. It became obvious when Broyles went out.

oudavid1
1/21/2012, 06:50 PM
You should have let this thread die brah.

My opinions shouldn't be that offensive to others. I stand by what I said.

colleyvillesooner
1/23/2012, 10:01 AM
The only "dumbass" I see is the one who draws all his conclusions only from numbers.

I have nothing against Landry personally, but he is not superstar, let's not kid ourselves. It became obvious when Broyles went out.

I'm just saying there's a world of difference between superstar and mediocre.

Nate Hybl was "decent". Paul Thompson was "mediocre". Landry is a great quarterback. Lots of good QB's look worse when their security blanket and school best ever WR go down, no one else steps up and receivers get the dropsies.

oudavid1
1/23/2012, 10:06 AM
I'm just saying there's a world of difference between superstar and mediocre.

Nate Hybl was "decent". Paul Thompson was "mediocre". Landry is a great quarterback. Lots of good QB's look worse when their security blanket and school best ever WR go down, no one else steps up and receivers get the dropsies.

Florida State game, characterize his performance in that game in your own words. What about the Missouri game? His best game were Kansas State and Texas.

colleyvillesooner
1/23/2012, 10:15 AM
Guys, my argument of calling Landry mediocre is that he has done really bad (5 picks, or 0 TDs over a 4 game stretch) and really good (5 touchdowns in multiple games and 6 in one case). Mediocre. Against Florida State, he put up less than 200 yards, 1 TD and 2 picks. But against Kansas State he did really well. He also played Texas very well too(best game all season). But against Oklahoma State he had 4 turnovers. That is mediocre. He still has a lot of potential.

Florida State? I was at that game. In a hostile night road game environment, 1st real game of the season (off a bye), when we needed him in the 4th, Landry was as clutch as it comes. Florida state had just run off 10 unanswered points and momentum had shifted. Crowd was rabid and Landry went 5/6, 73 yards, a huge pickup on 3rd and 12 and a perfect ball to stills for the TD. We pick off the ball the next series, pound it down their throats with 7 straight Whaley runs, chew up 3:00 of clock and kick a FG. Ball Game.

But if you want to agree with Webster and say he's of "low quality and ability", then fine. No one can help you.

colleyvillesooner
1/23/2012, 10:16 AM
Florida State game, characterize his performance in that game in your own words. What about the Missouri game? His best game were Kansas State and Texas.

see post above. Every QB is going to throw picks (except Sam, he was part machine I'm convinced).

oudavid1
1/23/2012, 10:24 AM
Florida State? I was at that game. In a hostile night road game environment, 1st real game of the season (off a bye), when we needed him in the 4th, Landry was as clutch as it comes. Florida state had just run off 10 unanswered points and momentum had shifted. Crowd was rabid and Landry went 5/6, 73 yards, a huge pickup on 3rd and 12 and a perfect ball to stills for the TD. We pick off the ball the next series, pound it down their throats with 7 straight Whaley runs, chew up 3:00 of clock and kick a FG. Ball Game.

But if you want to agree with Webster and say he's of "low quality and ability", then fine. No one can help you.

see post above. Every QB is going to throw picks (except Sam, he was part machine I'm convinced).

I am actually starting to think you are right. He is good. Mediocre is unfair and too much of a blanket statment. He has been great, and he has been bad (but not as much). You changed my mind. Thank you :D

Disclaimer: Not sarcasm.

/thread

colleyvillesooner
1/23/2012, 10:31 AM
That is all I was saying. Does he make some god awful decisions? Yes. When looking at highlights from that FSU game, he made a terrible decision to try and still throw it while getting sacked. Pick. Got my blood boiling all over again. I think he has the tools to lead us to where we want to go, but you are right, he still has a lot of potential. Settle his feet some more in the pocket, and throw it away when he has too and we are in good shape. Return of a running game and a #2 WR stepping up to compliment Stills are keys to his success. Cause we all know Mike will fix the defense immediately year. ;)

He has shown me that when the team needs him, he is capable of putting them on his back and going to get that score we have to have. Will he do it every time? No. But at least we know he can.

oudavid1
1/23/2012, 10:35 AM
That is all I was saying. Does he make some god awful decisions? Yes. When looking at highlights from that FSU game, he made a terrible decision to try and still throw it while getting sacked. Pick. Got my blood boiling all over again. I think he has the tools to lead us to where we want to go, but you are right, he still has a lot of potential. Settle his feet some more in the pocket, and throw it away when he has too and we are in good shape. Return of a running game and a #2 WR stepping up to compliment Stills are keys to his success. Cause we all know Mike will fix the defense immediately year. ;)

He has shown me that when the team needs him, he is capable of putting them on his back and going to get that score we have to have. Will he do it every time? No. But at least we know he can.

One argument you could have used (and might have but I missed it) is that he has improved every year even though 2010 was actually better for him than 2011. He is a good quarterback and to call him mediocre is unfair. I think he has remarkable talent.