PDA

View Full Version : No smoking at OU's campus for you!

badger
1/19/2012, 04:22 PM
Except in two designated areas:

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=330&articleid=20120119_330_0_NORMAN738924)

It's only a proposal right now, but if Uncle Dave is behind it, no reason it won't pass.

Wish this went on when I was a student there. Smokers tended to congregate closer and closer to the buildings as weather turned adverse

BillyBall
1/19/2012, 04:24 PM
It's easier to be a leper than a smoker. I don't smoke but this is horse ****.

Mississippi Sooner
1/19/2012, 04:26 PM
One of the areas will be the LNC? Are they going to have shuttles running back and forth like they do on game day?

badger
1/19/2012, 04:28 PM
One of the areas will be the LNC? Are they going to have shuttles running back and forth like they do on game day?

They have designated smoking areas around the stadium and I don't see that changing.

I also don't see you tobacco chewers stopping with your spitting during games. For the record, the one time I sat near one, it was uber disgusted :eek:

SicEmBaylor
1/19/2012, 04:53 PM
**** that ****.

Fraggle145
1/19/2012, 05:14 PM
Its not just smoking. Its all tobacco. And its bull****. I'll still be dipping in my office. Report me *******s.

Ton Loc
1/19/2012, 05:44 PM
I don't think cigar smokers should have to follow those rules. But it has to be good cigars, not the swisher sweet garbage.

SicEmBaylor
1/19/2012, 05:53 PM
I don't think cigar smokers should have to follow those rules. But it has to be good cigars, not the swisher sweet garbage.
This. I want to have your babies.

Ton Loc
1/19/2012, 06:05 PM
This. I want to have your babies.

I knew it!
but seriously, don't mess with my cigars. Golf, poker, and football are pretty much it anymore.

SicEmBaylor
1/19/2012, 06:09 PM
I knew it!
but seriously, don't mess with my cigars. Golf, poker, and football are pretty much it anymore.
We're twinkies. If we could reconcile the fact that neither of us are gay, I think we'd be great together! :D

SicEmBaylor
1/19/2012, 06:11 PM
I used to take strolls around campus (ours) smoking my cigar. I'd sit in the bench swings under the trees and watch the sun go down around me at Burleson Quadrangle. Those are some pleasant memories. I'd shank a bitch if Baylor took that away from future generations of cigar smokers.

oudavid1
1/20/2012, 08:56 AM
Tobacco is overrated. (and now I have to run)

delhalew
1/20/2012, 09:04 AM
Regardless how lame tobacco may be to those who don't use it, can we back off of regulating every little activity into oblivion?

Bunch of damn fascist.

badger
1/20/2012, 09:58 AM
Regardless how lame tobacco may be to those who don't use it, can we back off of regulating every little activity into oblivion?

Bunch of damn fascist.

If it didn't effect the people's health around you, I'd support backing off, but I've had to deal with people in my dorm (yes, even chick dorms) at OU where smokers will smoke not only tobacco, but also weed inside our closely confined living spaces. The doorways to campus buildings get beyond bad on inclement weather days as people try to fit all of their smoking into the covered areas outside. No, I don't blame them for wanting to keep their lit cigarettes and themselves from getting wet.

As inconsiderate as smokers probably find the rest of us trying to regulate and question their smoking rights, smokers in general are tons more inconsiderate for the general public's breathing air, IMHO.

I'm not trying to be facist, but smoke has always impacted me way more than others, it seems. I probably have asthma issues that I'm unaware of, heh.

jkjsooner
1/20/2012, 10:10 AM
I think regulating outdoor smoking in non-crowded areas goes too far. It doesn't seem to me that there's a compelling public interest to limit outdoor smoking.

I could see requiring that the smoking be done at least xxx feet away from a building entrance and also require that it be done within so many feet of one of those thing where you dispose of used cigarettes.

That being said, I used to work maintenance at a state park as a summer job. Usually we had inmates from the local prison pick up trash but after big holiday weekends we'd help out. There would be thousands and thousands of cigarette butts (sp?) on the campgrounds. All you could do is let mowers chop them up and then let them biodegrade as it would be impossible to pick them up. Problem is they got replaced as fast as nature would remove them. Nasty people with no concern for their fellow campers....

Considering OU values the beauty of their campus, I could see them enforcing this rule simply because they're spending too much money picking up cigarettes thrown on the ground by nasty smokers...

BillyBall
1/20/2012, 10:16 AM
If someone is smoking OUTSIDE and it bothers you, you suck as a person and at life.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/20/2012, 10:20 AM
As a non-smoker, I think it's gone too far myself with the rules and regulations...And honestly, a good portion of the statistics I think have a potential to be made up...I could make a commercial and say "Everyone who has ever met a cigarette smoker dies of cancer" and people would go with it..

badger
1/20/2012, 10:52 AM
Considering OU values the beauty of their campus, I could see them enforcing this rule simply because they're spending too much money picking up cigarettes thrown on the ground by nasty smokers...
That's a good point. Molly Shi probably stepped in one-too-many cigarette butts while overlooking one of her dozens of campus gardens and gave a royal decree that smoking stops, lest it de-beautify her perfect mum display in the fall. :P

If someone is smoking OUTSIDE and it bothers you, you suck as a person and at life.

In general, doesn't bother me. In closely confined spaces, definitely. Oklahoma Memorial Stadium's bleachers during a football game? That would bother me. Multiple smokers right next to a door going outside when classes let out? Ugggh.

Most other places, not a big deal.

As a non-smoker, I think it's gone too far myself with the rules and regulations...And honestly, a good portion of the statistics I think have a potential to be made up...I could make a commercial and say "Everyone who has ever met a cigarette smoker dies of cancer" and people would go with it..

Agree. I wish we could find a happy medium where smokers are considerate for non-smokers' air and non-smokers could deal with the fact that smokers have their own vice. Alas, @$$holes have ruined it for each other over the years, much like store return policies have been ruined by thieves, speed limits are ridiculously low thanks to bad drivers, etc etc etc

OULenexaman
1/20/2012, 10:54 AM
I can honestly say that I have never met someone that knew someone that knew someone that heard of someone they knew that got cancer and died from second hand smoke who had never smoked in their life. Time for another cup of coffee and a smoke.

delhalew
1/20/2012, 10:55 AM
Sometimes I'm a smoker. I go long stretches were i don't. I had asthma when I was a kid, and i always get choked up by second hand smoke. So what!

If I can't handle walking through a crowd of frozen smokers who have been forced outside, I suck.

The occasional whiff of second hand smoke won't kill you. The rest of your environment is gonna get you before some joker's cig.

We are so soft. We need a law or regulation for everything.

TheUnnamedSooner
1/20/2012, 10:56 AM
Smokers tended to congregate closer and closer to the buildings as weather turned adverse

Wow, those crazy smokers! Who woulda thunk it.

badger
1/20/2012, 11:11 AM
Wow, those crazy smokers! Who woulda thunk it.

Yeah and like I said I don't blame them, but that doesn't nullify the fact that they're breaking campus ordinances that say you have to be a certain distance from a building in order to smoke on OU's campus... much like rush hour does not give driver's clearance to run red lights, cut off motorists merging into a single lane, etc.

And I know I'm a wussy for not being able to tolerate smoke. I've really tried not being a pansy about it, but I'll probably never be able to tolerate it unless I pick up the habit myself, which I'm not gonna do. :)

setem
1/20/2012, 12:11 PM
THEY CAN'T BAN DIPPING! BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Being a MDS major meant I had classes with plenty of baseball players. I have a list of maybe 15 players I have shared cuts with or got a cut from and what not. Dipping in class is like drinking a beer at a ball game...wait...we cant do that either!

olevetonahill
1/20/2012, 12:32 PM
Would you please hold your breath while I smoke

I try not to smoke around some one if it really bothers em physically If they just being a whinny bitch Ill blow it in their face.

I also Field strip the Butt and toss it in the trash or like at The Tail Gate there's a big ole storm drain there and that makes a nice receptical

badger
1/20/2012, 12:55 PM

I try not to smoke around some one if it really bothers em physically If they just being a whinny bitch Ill blow it in their face.

I also Field strip the Butt and toss it in the trash or like at The Tail Gate there's a big ole storm drain there and that makes a nice receptical

We need self regulators like you :)

olevetonahill
1/20/2012, 12:58 PM
We need self regulators like you :)
Hell I was broke from just tossin em on the ground when I was in the Army, AS for not smoking around folk who have health issues I have no prob with that . Hell there are times I go days with out one cause im too dayum lazy to go to town and buy more

But when it comes to Drankin an smoking LOOK out

TheHumanAlphabet
1/20/2012, 01:12 PM
I loved it when the airplanes had smoking and non-smoking sections...The first half of First class would be non-smoking, the second half smoking... The poor people in the front of "economy" would get **** on by the smokers in First. I still remember boarding passes that stated "smoking" and "non-smoking"...

delhalew
1/20/2012, 01:54 PM
I always drink on flights, therefore, I wish there was a pod in the tail were you could go burn one. I was to young to GAS when you could smoke on planes.

Lott's Bandana
1/20/2012, 01:58 PM

Fish murderererer.

SoonerTerry
1/20/2012, 02:54 PM
As inconsiderate as smokers probably find the rest of us trying to regulate and question their smoking rights, smokers in general are tons more inconsiderate for the general public's breathing air, IMHO.

Inconsiderate people make inconsiderate smokers.

On another note, when I worked ate a hot dog factory we had an indoor (seperated from the rest of the plant) heated and cooled smoking area, now I work for a multi multi billion dollar company thats just fine with us standing in the rain.

SoonerTerry
1/20/2012, 02:56 PM
Someting that bothers me more than smoke is people who take a bath in their colone/perfume.

Lott's Bandana
1/20/2012, 02:57 PM
Your new company would likely prefer you eat your hot dogs out in the rain as well.

olevetonahill
1/20/2012, 03:00 PM
Fish murderererer.
Heh

delhalew
1/20/2012, 03:18 PM
Someting that bothers me more than smoke is people who take a bath in their colone/perfume.

That stops me from breathing quick fast in a hurry.

badger
1/20/2012, 03:21 PM
I loved it when the airplanes had smoking and non-smoking sections...The first half of First class would be non-smoking, the second half smoking... The poor people in the front of "economy" would get **** on by the smokers in First. I still remember boarding passes that stated "smoking" and "non-smoking"...

I can only imagine what that was like, hehe... I get motion sick easily also.

Fish murderererer.
Nah, that's only if you let Scott's Turf Builder run into the drains, right? :D

Inconsiderate people make inconsiderate smokers.

On another note, when I worked ate a hot dog factory we had an indoor (seperated from the rest of the plant) heated and cooled smoking area, now I work for a multi multi billion dollar company thats just fine with us standing in the rain.

I wonder if it's just a sign of the times. More people used to smoke (as a percentage) than they used to, so perhaps restaurants, work places, and other public places just don't care (or feel the need) to accommodate smokers.

Makes you wonder... what do people have the right to cause others to breathe? If it's in public, how much can companies/universities/etc. enforce to stop others from breathing certain fumes?

In a workplace, you can enforce personal hygiene so people don't have to smell your body stink, or force employees to not smoke so people don't have to smell cigarette smoke, etc.

In the public... is it just smoking bans that can be enforced?

BillyBall
1/20/2012, 03:23 PM
This is how the Third Reich started.

badger
1/20/2012, 03:35 PM
This is how the Third Reich started.

First they came for the smokers,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a smoker.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me and the rest of the non-smokers.

:P

OULenexaman
1/20/2012, 03:44 PM
I loved it when the airplanes had smoking and non-smoking sections...The first half of First class would be non-smoking, the second half smoking... The poor people in the front of "economy" would get **** on by the smokers in First. I still remember boarding passes that stated "smoking" and "non-smoking"... yep....on TWA and Pan Am..

olevetonahill
1/20/2012, 03:53 PM
Ill give up my cigarettes when they pry em from my cold dead hands
Oh wait

8timechamps
1/20/2012, 03:57 PM
THEY CAN'T BAN DIPPING! BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Being a MDS major meant I had classes with plenty of baseball players. I have a list of maybe 15 players I have shared cuts with or got a cut from and what not. Dipping in class is like drinking a beer at a ball game...wait...we cant do that either!

Dipping bans are always a good idea, but they never really work. I worked in an office for almost 20 years with about 10 other guys that dipped, we always did it despite it being against company policy. Where there's a dip, there's a way.

SoonerTerry
1/20/2012, 04:12 PM
Your new company would likely prefer you eat your hot dogs out in the rain as well.

as long as they didn't have to buy the hot dogs

I Am Right
1/20/2012, 04:39 PM
Smoke nazis

badger
1/20/2012, 04:46 PM
Smoke nazis

I know we're having fun here and all, but just as a sidenote, it kind of irks me to see the word "nazi" being used to associate with things that are minute compared to the Holocaust. I'm not Jewish, it's just amazing that whenever people have a beef with law enforcement, new rules, or people that are little bit to hard-lined, they are suddenly "nazis." :(

But, since I know we're just having fun and all, I'm not gonna be all crazy about it :)

I Am Right
1/20/2012, 04:51 PM
Ok, sorry I used the "nazi" word, what word would you use to convey a police state?

badger
1/20/2012, 05:17 PM
Ok, sorry I used the "nazi" word, what word would you use to convey a police state?

I think "extremist" in most cases is an appropriate substitute.

Or, "police state" too :)

And like I said, I know we're just having fun with this subject so it's all good.

Lott's Bandana
1/20/2012, 05:19 PM
Fashists

delhalew
1/20/2012, 05:21 PM
I know we're having fun here and all, but just as a sidenote, it kind of irks me to see the word "nazi" being used to associate with things that are minute compared to the Holocaust. I'm not Jewish, it's just amazing that whenever people have a beef with law enforcement, new rules, or people that are little bit to hard-lined, they are suddenly "nazis." :(

But, since I know we're just having fun and all, I'm not gonna be all crazy about it :)

You must loath Jerry Seinfeld.

Doged
1/20/2012, 08:15 PM
I'm a prime example of the "extremism from one side of an issue often breeds extremism on the other side" premise.

At my last business, the non-smoking break room was a small room in the main building with nothing in it save some tables/chairs and a single vending machine. You rarely ever saw anyone in there. The smoking break room was a seperate small building, roughly 10 times larger, with a 'fridge, full kitchen, 4 vending machines, television, much nicer tables/chairs and a foosball table. It was a busy place.

I know some of the non-smokers had to not like the setup, but no one ever complained to me about it.

The group I sold the business to made the smoking building a non-smoking break area and moved smoking outside with nothing but a butt can and sign that said "Designated Smoking Area".

delhalew
1/20/2012, 08:22 PM
That's because smokers are inhuman trash.

Okla-homey
1/21/2012, 08:28 AM
As long as this policy does not apply on football games days, or to adults over 25, its fine. College kids should not be allowed to smoke anywhere on campus.

Midtowner
1/21/2012, 09:00 AM
If you really believe that your right to swing your fist ends at someone else's nose, and second-hand smoke has been proven harmful, what's the problem here?

AlboSooner
1/21/2012, 10:35 AM
If they can make sure their smoke doesn't reach me while I'm walking, then I have no problem. But as long as their poison fumes can't be controlled an can reach me while I'm walking, if they want to smoke, then I should be able to fart in their faces.

Fraggle145
1/21/2012, 02:09 PM
If it didn't effect the people's health around you, I'd support backing off, but I've had to deal with people in my dorm (yes, even chick dorms) at OU where smokers will smoke not only tobacco, but also weed inside our closely confined living spaces. The doorways to campus buildings get beyond bad on inclement weather days as people try to fit all of their smoking into the covered areas outside. No, I don't blame them for wanting to keep their lit cigarettes and themselves from getting wet.

I'm not trying to be facist, but smoke has always impacted me way more than others, it seems. I probably have asthma issues that I'm unaware of, heh.

How does my dipping negatively affect your health?

Fraggle145
1/21/2012, 02:12 PM
That's a good point. Molly Shi probably stepped in one-too-many cigarette butts while overlooking one of her dozens of campus gardens and gave a royal decree that smoking stops, lest it de-beautify her perfect mum display in the fall. :P

In general, doesn't bother me. In closely confined spaces, definitely. Oklahoma Memorial Stadium's bleachers during a football game? That would bother me. Multiple smokers right next to a door going outside when classes let out? Ugggh.

Most other places, not a big deal.

Agree. I wish we could find a happy medium where smokers are considerate for non-smokers' air and non-smokers could deal with the fact that smokers have their own vice. Alas, @$$holes have ruined it for each other over the years, much like store return policies have been ruined by thieves, speed limits are ridiculously low thanks to bad drivers, etc etc etc

The cigarette butts is exactly what got this thing started. Last semester they had an article about this in the student paper and all it talked about was cigarette butts.

badger
1/22/2012, 07:11 PM
How does my dipping negatively affect your health?

I don't believe I mentioned dipping anywhere.

The cigarette butts is exactly what got this thing started. Last semester they had an article about this in the student paper and all it talked about was cigarette butts.

I got curious when you mentioned that... I found the story here. (http://oudaily.com/news/2011/sep/13/boren-moves-make-ou-smoke-free-campus/)

Back when I was in high school, they threatened to have a closed campus at lunch because businesses downtown were complaining about student litter. In the next few weeks, students got more involved in trash pickup and got more trash bins placed downtown and the school and city backed off.

From that student paper article, it sounds like smokers had the opportunity to remedy the situation by using the additional receptacles, but didn't, and as an end result, are paying the price for their own actions. So... not much you can do there. Smokers did it to themselves... and even if it wasn't every smoker, it was apparently enough that they had to consider a rule change.

I do feel bad though that they are directly connecting it with litter, because there's just as much other trash around campus as cigarette butts.

I am also curious if there will be different rules on gameday.

Fraggle145
1/22/2012, 07:16 PM
I don't believe I mentioned dipping anywhere.

I got curious when you mentioned that... I found the story here. (http://oudaily.com/news/2011/sep/13/boren-moves-make-ou-smoke-free-campus/)

Back when I was in high school, they threatened to have a closed campus at lunch because businesses downtown were complaining about student litter. In the next few weeks, students got more involved in trash pickup and got more trash bins placed downtown and the school and city backed off.

From that student paper article, it sounds like smokers had the opportunity to remedy the situation by using the additional receptacles, but didn't, and as an end result, are paying the price for their own actions. So... not much you can do there. Smokers did it to themselves... and even if it wasn't every smoker, it was apparently enough that they had to consider a rule change.

I do feel bad though that they are directly connecting it with litter, because there's just as much other trash around campus as cigarette butts.

I am also curious if there will be different rules on gameday.

The only reason I mentioned dipping is because all tobacco is going to be banned not just smoking.

badger
1/22/2012, 07:23 PM
The only reason I mentioned dipping is because all tobacco is going to be banned not just smoking.

OK :)

There was once a tobacco chewer in front of me at an OU football game using an old soda bottle as the disposal... and it was dis-gust-ing. However, I just averted my eyes, so it wouldn't further impact my stomach turning... which I guess technically impacts my health a little :D

I haven't seen the Regents agenda, so I am not sure what a "smoke free" campus will entail. It is possible that it will just involve stuff that you can puff, not all tobacco. Otherwise, wouldn't they be proposing a "tobacco free" campus?

8timechamps
1/22/2012, 07:42 PM
OK :)

There was once a tobacco chewer in front of me at an OU football game using an old soda bottle as the disposal... and it was dis-gust-ing. However, I just averted my eyes, so it wouldn't further impact my stomach turning... which I guess technically impacts my health a little :D

I haven't seen the Regents agenda, so I am not sure what a "smoke free" campus will entail. It is possible that it will just involve stuff that you can puff, not all tobacco. Otherwise, wouldn't they be proposing a "tobacco free" campus?

As a "dipper", I have used the empty soda bottle many, many times. However, I realize that to anyone that isn't a chewer, that can be disgusting, so I try to be very stealth about it. If I know I'm going to be in a crowd, I'll make every attempt to keep others from having to watch me spit.

I have no problem with smokers at all (and really, as a tobacco user, how could I?), however, when I see a car full of kids with the windows rolled up and a smoker blowing out a cloud of smoke, I want to throat punch that person.

yermom
1/22/2012, 07:46 PM
As long as this policy does not apply on football games days, or to adults over 25, its fine. College kids should not be allowed to smoke anywhere on campus.

*smh*

I Am Right
1/22/2012, 09:14 PM
Rethinking, Nazi works just fine.

Lott's Bandana
1/22/2012, 09:49 PM
I have no problem with smokers at all (and really, as a tobacco user, how could I?), however, when I see a car full of kids with the windows rolled up and a smoker blowing out a cloud of smoke, I want to throat punch that person.

That is illegal in Arkansas. Good law.

OUstud
1/22/2012, 10:25 PM
Because the alcohol policy has gone SO well. :very_drunk:

8timechamps
1/22/2012, 11:35 PM
That is illegal in Arkansas. Good law.

Should be illegal in every state. I'm gonna research and see what other states have that law...

setem
1/23/2012, 02:26 PM
That ain't cigrit smoke my friend!

badger
1/23/2012, 02:42 PM
OK, you effing hillbillies, here is what the regents agenda item says!

AGENDA ITEM 15
ISSUE: TOBACCO-FREE CAMPUS – NC
ACTION PROPOSED:
President Boren recommends that the Board of Regents approve the attached
Tobacco-Free Policy for the Norman Campus.
BACKGROUND AND/OR RATIONALE:
The University of Oklahoma is committed to providing a healthy environment for its
students, faculty, staff, and visitors to the campus. This commitment carries a responsibility for
the University to have a policy regarding tobacco use, which is the leading cause of death in
Oklahoma and the United States.1 The adverse health effects from cigarette smoking account for
an estimated 443,000 deaths, comprising nearly one in five of all deaths, each year in the United
States.1, 2 Exposure to secondhand smoke is estimated to cause 46,000 premature deaths from
heart disease, and 3,400 deaths from lung cancer, among non-smokers each year in the United
States.3 Non-smokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke have an increased risk of
developing heart disease or lung cancer, and there is no known safe level of exposure to
secondhand smoke.3 Oklahoma businesses lose an average of $3,734 each year for every
employee that smokes due to increased sick days and disability, higher medical and insurance
costs, and shorter, less productive work-lives.4 Based on these data, the estimated cost of
tobacco use for the University is $ 4 million annually
In the fall of 2011, President Boren appointed an advisory committee to make
recommendations on a tobacco policy for the Norman campus. At the outset, the committee
recommended criteria to be considered in developing a policy. These criteria were: (a) the effect
of tobacco use on health, especially the effect of individual tobacco use on the health of others,
(b) the cost impact of tobacco use, both on the health insurance costs for the University, as well
as the clean-up costs associated with tobacco waste and litter, (c) consistency of policy across the
University campuses where possible and appropriate, and (d) the role of an educational
institution in leading and setting an example in promoting a healthier community. The attached
proposed University of Oklahoma Norman Campus Tobacco-Free Policy implements the
recommendation of the committee that OU’s Norman Campus become tobacco free as of July 1,
2012. Certain designated smoking areas would remain available for a limited time to allow those
suffering from a nicotine addiction to quit smoking (see attached maps). The University also has
made available a variety of smoking cessation resources.
More than 250 universities or colleges in the United States now have policies for a
100% tobacco free campus,5 and more than 500 university or college campuses across the
country have enacted policies restricting tobacco use.
COMMUNICATION AND POLICY IMPLEMENTATION
A detailed communication plan to communicate the policy and its implementation
will be developed and coordinated by the Office of Human Resources, in collaboration with the
Office of Student Affairs. The period of January 2012 through June 30, 2012 will be used to
thoroughly communicate the purpose and details of the policy to the OU community. The
communication will be done through the range of media including printed material, online, email,
and group meetings.
THE UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA January 24, 2012
Attached are resources the University offers to students and employees to assist them
with cessation efforts.
REFERENCES
1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC Fact Sheet - Health effects of cigarette smoking.
http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/health_effects/effects_cig_smoking/
2. How tobacco smoke causes disease. The biology and behavioral basis for smoking-attributable disease. A
Report of the Surgeon General. US Department of Health and Human Services 2010.
3. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC Fact Sheet – Health Effects of Second-hand Smoke.
http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/secondhand_smoke/health_effects/
4. Tobacco Settlement Endowment Trust and the Oklahoma State Department of Health. Tobacco-free
Oklahoma Week Highlights Real Costs of Tobacco Use. http://www.ok.gov/tset?Public Information/Press
Releases January 20, 2011
5. American Lung Association. Colleges and Universities with 100% tobacco-free campus policies. Updated
October 2011. http://www.lungusa.org/stop-smoking/tobacco-control-advocacy/reports-resources/tobaccopolicy-
trend-reports/college-report-2011.pdf

You can read the entire agenda here. (http://www.ou.edu/regents/official_agenda/JanuaryFinalAgenda.pdf)

Here's what I take away from this:

1- It sounds like it's for all tobacco, yet they only have designated "smoking areas"

2- These designated "smoking areas" are only going to be available for a limited time.

3- While there is no timetable on how limited that areas will be available, they do give a date for when OU's campus will go tobacco-free: July 1.

4- This only applies to Norman's campus.

5- No exceptions are given, no info about fines or other punishment for violating the tobacco-free campus mandate, and it mentions tobacco, but it seems like it implies smoking and not chewing.

One thing I can tell you for sure though --- OU's regents are going to rubber stamp anything Boren sends their way, so don't expect this to get voted down, even if a massive horde of angry students show up to the meeting demanding that they do... not that I expect this to happen, if for no other reason than the meeting is scheduled to be at the HSC (Oklahoma City).

badger
1/23/2012, 02:47 PM
OK, so maybe I should have checked out the next page or two :D

TOBACCO-FREE POLICY - ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
STUDENT AND EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE FOR TOBACCO-USE CESSATION
The University is committed to encouraging and providing helpful support to any student
or employee who wishes to quit smoking or smokeless tobacco use by facilitating
access to cessation programs and materials.
Tobacco-use cessation classes will be held weekly between the period of February and
July 1, 2012. These classes will be free of charge. The classes will be offered on
rotating days of the week to enable the optimal access by members of the OU
community.
A wide range of support and assistance is available for students and employees through
the OU Healthy Sooners program, the OU health insurance plan through Blue
Cross/Blue Shield, the Oklahoma State Tobacco Help Line, and the Norman
community, as summarized below.
The University will make available some funding to reduce the cost of tobacco cessation
assistance such as nicotine replacement therapy and prescription medications for
students and for individuals without health insurance coverage.

They list the resources they're gonna make available, not just for smokers but also tobacco users. You can check it out by following the regents agenda link I provided in my last post. It's on pages 75-76.

LANGUAGE TO BE INCLUDED IN THE REGENTS’ POLICY MANUAL
3.6 TOBACCO-FREE POLICY
The University of Oklahoma is committed to a healthy environment and has adopted
policies limiting the use of tobacco on campus. The full text of the Tobacco-Free
Policies is included in the Faculty, Staff and Student Handbooks on the Norman and
Health Sciences Center campuses. The Norman Campus policy is effective July 1,
2012; the Health Sciences Center campus policy is already in effect.
UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA, NORMAN CAMPUS TOBACCO-FREE POLICY
PURPOSE
The purpose of this policy is to foster a healthier environment for students, faculty, staff
and visitors on the University of Oklahoma campus by minimizing tobacco use, which is
the leading cause of death in Oklahoma and the United States. The policy is designed to
prevent or reduce exposure of individuals to secondhand smoke, and to help reduce
tobacco use among OU students and employees. The policy is not intended to be
judgmental of individual lifestyle choice or to be punitive towards any individual or
group.
This policy is subject to all applicable laws and regulations and recognizes exceptions
contained therein, including an exception allowing tobacco use for religious or
ceremonial purposes.
POLICY
Effective July 1, 2012, the use of all tobacco products including but not limited to
cigarettes, cigars, pipes, and smokeless tobacco shall be strictly prohibited anywhere
on the OU grounds or campus, except in 2 specifically identified designated smoking
areas (see below under “Designated Smoking Areas”).
1. The use of tobacco products shall be prohibited in any buildings or portion
thereof owned, leased, or operated by the University, including OU
housing/apartments, athletic facilities, within any OU parking structure, in any
vehicle owned or leased by the University, or on the OU grounds or campus,
including but not limited to public or non-public areas, offices, restrooms,
stairwells, driveways, sidewalks, etc.
2. This policy applies to all persons on campus, including but not limited to
students, faculty, staff, contracted personnel, vendors, and all visitors to the
OU campus. The policy applies to all University events.

3. The sale of tobacco products on OU property is prohibited.
COMMUNICATION OF POLICY
1. NO SMOKING/NO TOBACCO USE signs shall be posted strategically
throughout the campus and in OU facilities and vehicles as a reminder of
the policy.
2. The Office of the Provost will ensure that OU faculty employment
announcements and information provided to new faculty recruits and
employees contain information about the tobacco-free environment.
3. The Office of Human Resources will ensure that OU staff employment
applications, both hard copy and online versions, contain information
about the tobacco-free environment, and that new employees receive
information about the tobacco-free policy during the new employee
orientation.
4. The Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs will ensure that OU
communication and information provided to prospective students and to
new students includes information about the tobacco-free environment.
5. The full text of the policy shall be available in faculty and staff handbooks,
and on the OU website.
DESIGNATED SMOKING AREAS
There will be 2 designated smoking areas on the OU Norman campus. The locations of
these areas have been proposed to minimize potential exposure to secondhand smoke.
The approximate locations proposed for the designated smoking areas are:
1. On the edge of the parking lot for Dale Hall (north of Lindsey street and east of
Elm).
2. On the southern area of the parking lot at Lloyd Noble Center.
The installation of shelters in these areas will be coordinated by the Director of Facilities
Management. The impact of and continued need for the designated smoking areas will
be evaluated one year after their implementation.
COMPLIANCE AND ENFORCEMENT
Compliance with this policy by all students, employees, and visitors to the campus is
expected based upon our commitment to a healthy environment on campus, and our
responsibility to protect individuals from the adverse health effects of exposure to
second hand smoke. This depends on the consideration and cooperation of both users
and non-users of tobacco. All members of the University community share the
responsibility of adhering to and enforcing the policy and have the responsibility for
communicating the policy to visitors in a courteous and considerate manner. Any
complaints should be brought to the attention of the appropriate University
administrative personnel.
Non-compliance with this policy will be handled in the same manner as any other policy
violation and is subject to the disciplinary process.
After receiving an initial warning and reminder of the policy, repeated violations of the
policy will be subject to fines of $10 for the second violation of the policy, and $50 for
the third violation. An appeals process will be used similar to that used for appeals of
parking fines.
GAYLORD FAMILY OKLAHOMA MEMORIAL STADIUM
The prevention of exposure to secondhand smoke for visitors to the stadium during
football games or other events is a particular challenge due to the high density of people
in a confined space. This makes it very difficult, if not impossible to avoid exposure to
secondhand smoke for these individuals. Therefore, the stadium will be completely
tobacco free during all events.

Sorry that it's probably not very readable in this format. Check out the regents agenda link (page 78-79) for the better version if you can read PDFs on your computer. But right away... holy sh!t.

The prevention of exposure to secondhand smoke for visitors to the stadium during
football games or other events is a particular challenge due to the high density of people
in a confined space. This makes it very difficult, if not impossible to avoid exposure to
secondhand smoke for these individuals. Therefore, the stadium will be completely

They absolutely need designated smoking areas. People are not gonna quit smoking during games and if they're not allowed to leave the stadium (no entry since the kid blew himself up during the KSU game), they are going to find places to smoke/chew, be it in bathrooms or in the seat in front of badger (ewwww, spit so gross, averting eyes now...).

setem
1/23/2012, 03:18 PM
GAYLORD FAMILY OKLAHOMA MEMORIAL STADIUM

High density of of people...???

Breadburner
1/23/2012, 03:29 PM
I think that dudes that smoke cigars really want a big Cack in their mouth......

Lott's Bandana
1/23/2012, 03:31 PM

Reminds me of some of the music festivals I attend.

Smokers that are packed in front of the stage hold their ciggies up above their heads between drags, I suppose to keep the "ambient" smoke from blitzing everyone around them.

Given my druthers, I'd rather they had showered.

badger
1/23/2012, 03:36 PM

Our round mound of presidency is calling the rest of us fat methinks :eek:

setem
1/23/2012, 03:38 PM
Our round mound of presidency is calling the rest of us fat methinks :eek:

Nah man! I am saying attendance is low!

olevetonahill
1/23/2012, 03:42 PM
Ive smoked for over 46 years. Even I can sit thru a Game with out going batshat crazy . aint a big thing to me

Now when Ima Drankin dont get between me and my smokes :very_drunk:

OUDoc
1/23/2012, 03:58 PM
I think that dudes that smoke cigars really want a big Cack in their mouth......
No, that's how Sic'Em always acts.

I Am Right
1/23/2012, 04:27 PM
And, you can only eat fruit with that Big Mac.

Breadburner
1/23/2012, 04:30 PM
No, that's how Sic'Em always acts.

Sic'Em Cack...?????

SicEmBaylor
1/23/2012, 04:46 PM
Sic'Em Cack...?????
Any true man knows how to both recognize and enjoy a fine cigar.

I Am Right
1/23/2012, 07:07 PM

Amen!

8timechamps
1/23/2012, 07:12 PM

In all honesty, I couldn't tell the difference between a fine cigar and a dog turd rolled in a tobacco leaf. Cheap liquor on the other hand...

FirstandGoal
1/24/2012, 08:52 AM
Ive smoked for over 46 years. Even I can sit thru a Game with out going batshat crazy . aint a big thing to me

Now when Ima Drankin dont get between me and my smokes :very_drunk:

This

I haven't personally lit up in over 5 years now, but even back in the day when I was a smoker, I could work a 10 hour shift without one. Never died once from a lack of it. Knew lots of other smokers who were the same way. Hell, you can't smoke in airplanes and people don't die from it so if you don't think you can get through a 3-4 hour game without dying from a lack of cigs then I'll gladly fill your seat.