PDA

View Full Version : NO COUGAR FOR YOU!!!!

SoonerTerry
1/19/2012, 02:56 PM
New school can’t be Cougars because middle-aged women might be offended

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/school-t-cougars-because-middle-aged-women-might-161402778.html

Students at a new Utah high school are facing disappointment after their choice for a new school mascot was rejected for one of the strangest reasons possible: Board members deemed it might be seen as offensive to middle-aged women.

As reported by Salt Lake City Fox affiliate KTSU, Draper (Utah) Corner Canyon High announced its new mascot and school colors on Wednesday, with Canyons School District officials proclaiming that the school's teams will be called the Chargers, using a blue and white color scheme.

That's all fine and good except for the fact that the school's future student body -- which was given the opportunity to select its own future mascot -- had chosen to be the Cougars. With some 23 percent of the student vote, the Cougar choice was far preferred to other options, which included the Chargers, Diamondbacks, Falcons, Raptors, Broncos, Bears and Cavaliers.

The reason why the future student body gravitated toward Cougars is pretty clear: Area collegiate power BYU uses the Cougar as its mascot and enjoys an enormous fan base of area residents and those who follow the Mormon faith (BYU is a Mormon institution).
Still, the Canyons School Board refused to accept the Cougar as a mascot out of fear that it might offend older women. In the current edition of the Webster Dictionary, the second definition for cougar sights a slang terminology that refers to "a middle-aged woman seeking a romantic relationship with a younger man."

To say that the board's reaction to having a school play as the Cougars was a bit over the top is certainly an understatement, particularly when one considers the fact that BYU and a host of other high schools in Utah use the Cougar as their mascot. By pulling the right to pick their own mascot away, the school board turned what appeared to be a nice nod toward student self determination into a first overbearing act of a new administration that doesn't even exist yet. Appoint Dean Wormer as principal and the student rebellion will be ready to go by the first day of school
More significantly, why would the board even offer "Cougars" as a potential mascot choice if it wasn't prepared to accept it? That lack of logic is positively baffling. Surely everyone could have saved themselves a lot of face if they simply had not allowed prospective students to choose to be the Cougars in the first place.

Of course, there's still plenty of time for the Canyons School Board to re-consider and give the students back their Cougars. Corner Canyon isn't scheduled to open until fall 2013, so the initial announcement of school colors and mascot was seen as a way to get positive attention for a project that remains on schedule.

Needless to say, it doesn't seem to have quite worked out that way.

Curly Bill
1/19/2012, 02:59 PM
People are stupid.

KantoSooner
1/19/2012, 03:34 PM
Go Cougars!!!

Score, Score Score!!!

I'll stop there.

KABOOKIE
1/19/2012, 03:36 PM
Doesn't Chargers offend middle-aged men?

SoonerTerry
1/19/2012, 03:38 PM
that made me laugh.

announcer1* "The Cougars aren't putting up much of a fight tonight"

anouncer2* "Do they ever Bill?"

SoonerTerry
1/19/2012, 03:39 PM
By that same token, my ex should sue Georga..

SoonerTerry
1/19/2012, 03:42 PM
in our PC world

Introducing YOUR New York "People of large stature"...

SicEmBaylor
1/19/2012, 03:48 PM
in our PC world

Introducing YOUR New York "People of large stature"...
"Large" is an offensive and condescending term. "People of better than average stature" is far better.

KantoSooner
1/19/2012, 03:48 PM
Announcer: "Well, the Trojans have really been putting it to the Cougars tonight, folks."

Color Guy: "Yep. Really been hammering them relentlessly. Almost makes you wish for a mercy rule in high school balling."

Announcer: "No one would have figured that the Cougars, with their experience and skill positions would have rolled over and surrendered to the young, though physically gifted, Trojan team."

Color Guy: "You're right. I never would have believed that I would have been sitting here tonight watching the Cougars, on their knees, begging for mercy."

Announcer: "I hear you! But, as sure as my name's L.D. Silver, the Cougars are going to feel this one all next week."

Color Guy: "And don't forget that tonight, the Trojans finally learned how to finish."

SoonerTerry
1/19/2012, 04:19 PM
Gold Kanto

Viking Kitten
1/19/2012, 04:19 PM
That's almost as good as when Hooker licks Beaver in 1A football.

SoonerTerry
1/19/2012, 04:22 PM
I'm alost brave enough to make that my new sig

SoonerTerry
1/19/2012, 04:25 PM
"Large" is an offensive and condescending term. "People of better than average stature" is far better.

This might imply that our team is "better" than people of average size.... maybe "People of higher than average height"? That'll only insult the stoners.. and they are too stoned to care.

OUmillenium
1/19/2012, 06:53 PM
soonerfans is getting fun again

cleller
1/20/2012, 10:21 AM
Just don't let the grass get too high in the Cougar's end zone. A well manicured end zone can just take your breath away.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/20/2012, 10:41 AM
Edumacation People are so ****ing stupid...How stupid is that excuse...

SoonerStormchaser
1/20/2012, 04:43 PM
Yawn

SicEmBaylor
1/20/2012, 04:52 PM
Yawn

The signal went up, and Geriatricman responded.

delhalew
1/20/2012, 05:23 PM
Somebody tell those aholes to quit smoking by the doorway.

SoonerStormchaser
1/20/2012, 06:09 PM
The signal went up, and Geriatricman responded.
I was promised free AARP membership and a social security check...now where are they?

cleller
1/20/2012, 06:29 PM
These kids should get creative. How about Dinosaurs? Maybe the Brontosaurus', they could shorten it the the Brontos.

Wishboned
1/20/2012, 06:46 PM
It wasn't so much the name, but the mascot costume had a too short mini skirt, varicose veins, caked on makeup, and was holding a martini glass.

OUmillenium
1/20/2012, 10:01 PM
TTIWWP now

Jacie
1/21/2012, 12:05 PM
These kids should get creative. How about Dinosaurs? Maybe the Brontosaurus', they could shorten it the the Brontos.

The term Brontosaurus as the name for a distinct genus of dinosaur was found to have been superceded by the name Apatosaurus as early as 1903. If one wants to have a large sauropod as a mascot then the name Apatosaurus should be used with pride. For short, the kids could call themselves the Patties . . .

Viking Kitten
1/22/2012, 07:03 PM
Tell that to the Flintstones.