PDA

View Full Version : This Official "I Wanted Brent Gone and Mike Back" List

colleyvillesooner
1/19/2012, 09:46 AM
Please add your name here. That way when a Mike led defense is the reason we lose, and you are pissed about it, you don't get to say sh!t. (can't blame the players)

There have been a TON of people clamoring for Mike to return and to fire Brent. Wish granted. Time to check out the grass on the other side of the fence.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/19/2012, 09:47 AM
But Oklahoma will never lose another game with Mike Stoops coaching the Sooner defense.

Curly Bill
1/19/2012, 09:47 AM
Here I am! :)

delhalew
1/19/2012, 09:51 AM
I never clamored for change, but I support change completely. I like Mike, but I would have rather seen a young gun get the job. I am skeptical of trying to go back.

Curly Bill
1/19/2012, 09:53 AM
I never clamored for change, but I support change completely. I like Mike, but I would have rather seen a young gun get the job. I am skeptical of trying to go back.

Kinda where I'm at too. Don't get me wrong, if it was between Mike or BV it'd be Mike in a landslide, but I wouldn't have minded some young hotshot either, and no I don't have a list of names.

85sooners
1/19/2012, 10:03 AM
Let's do this

TUSooner
1/19/2012, 10:08 AM
What if we thought BV was not being properly held accountable for a routinely mediocre defense, but we didn't really give a rodent's behind about Mike?

badger
1/19/2012, 10:08 AM
I did, I thought it was cool, but selfishly as a fan.

Unselfishly, I think this will give Brent V an opportunity to grow as a head coach. You can only learn so much from one mentor and it's time for him to leave the mother hen's nest.

8timechamps
1/19/2012, 10:09 AM
oumartin should be at the top of the list. I'm worried about him...he will have to find something else to bitch about.

Crimsontothecore
1/19/2012, 10:12 AM
Please add your name here. That way when a Mike led defense is the reason we lose, and you are pissed about it, you don't get to say sh!t. (can't blame the players)

There have been a TON of people clamoring for Mike to return and to fire Brent. Wish granted. Time to check out the grass on the other side of the fence.

I guess I didn't realize posters on this message board caused Venables to leave.

TUSooner
1/19/2012, 10:17 AM
What if we thought BV was not being properly held accountable for a routinely mediocre defense, but we didn't really give a rodent's behind about Mike?

But yeah, put me in the Mike > Brent column.

My name is TU Sooner and I approve of this post.

Curly Bill
1/19/2012, 10:32 AM
I guess I didn't realize posters on this message board caused Venables to leave.

It was me! I take full credit!!! :)

badger
1/19/2012, 10:36 AM
oumartin should be at the top of the list. I'm worried about him...he will have to find something else to bitch about.

He and I can talk basketball since none of you guys do anymore. :mad:

EatLeadCommie
1/19/2012, 10:37 AM
Brent needed to go. I'm not sold on Mike as a replacement, however.

fwsooner22
1/19/2012, 10:40 AM
I am going to continue to trust in Bob. So far, it's worked out pretty well. I am gonna stay behind the head coach and a program that is pretty darn impressive.

mightysooner
1/19/2012, 10:50 AM
Consider me signed.

Question: What do the rest of the people on here have to do when our defenses return to feared, top 10 units and actually start winning games for us though? A lot of crows are gonna have to die to feed that crowd.

SoonerMarkVA
1/19/2012, 11:09 AM
I'm lukewarm on the change.

I thought BV had sufficiently demonstrated he wasn't going to be an elite coordinator, but I only wanted to see those responsibilities replaced, and keep him as a recruiter and LB coach.

I feel like Mike is a big improvement as a coordinator, but I can't help but wonder if there was some fresh blood out there that could have been better.

I do feel like Stoops had to do something to shake things up, and that's happened. But I can't say that the shakeup that happened would have been my first choice. If BV had stayed, and Mangino had come back to replace Patton, I think I'd be really optimistic about next few years. Right now, I'll just sit back with hopeful optimism and see if things improve.

BoulderSooner79
1/19/2012, 11:10 AM

I'll sign on with this view. I definitely think it was the right move for Brent if he indeed desires an HC job down the road. I really hope it works out with Mike, but he hasn't been a DC in 8 years and he's been through a lot - maybe that's a good thing. If we do try to land a big name like Randy Shannon, I'm sure they will demand the co-DC title.

Explodo
1/19/2012, 11:12 AM
My Name is in the Bin. Mike > BV

ObiKaTony
1/19/2012, 11:13 AM

One the most uniformed post I've read in a long time:

First, we already know the grass is greener because we used to own the lawn, translation, Mike has already been a d-cord and he lead the team with a defense in the top 5. Why on earth would ANY educated football fan not want that back?

Second, your post seems to elude to the fact that you were once a Venebles supporter (as all sooner fans are, most just wanted him gone because they thought OU could do MUCH better) and now you seem down-right angry at those who believed Mike should come back. Perhaps you should email or text Bob Stoops because he obviously believes the same way the fans you are requesting to "shut up" Those aspersions were true, due to the fact Stoops just hired his brother back.

I think your post should demand something else. How about yourself and others that thought Venenbles should stay shut up for a while, as Stoops just sided with about 89% of the fans and hired Mike back.

Mike WILL be a better cord as he ALREADY proven to be so at OU... Get a clue, and request something that actually makes sense...

SoonerMachine
1/19/2012, 11:19 AM
Present!

agoo758
1/19/2012, 11:27 AM
Signed.

ObiKaTony
1/19/2012, 11:28 AM
Sign me the heck up (Mike will also not lead us in the upper 60's in defense, period) Give him 1 year...

Neath a Western Sky
1/19/2012, 11:49 AM
Glad Mike coming back, not only because of his D coordinator prowess, but because I think he and Bob are both better coaches with each other than without. I would like for Brent to have remained in the roles Bob wanted for him, but in having to choose between Mike and Brent, Mike is the winner. I'm also intrigued to see new some blood on this coaching staff. I am hopeful we can find someone who matches or exceeds Brent as a linebackers coach and recruiter. I don't think that's too much for Oklahoma to expect.

I'm curious whether Colleyville Sooner wanted Brent to remain in his role as the sole D Coordinator as he has been the past several years?

Sooners78
1/19/2012, 12:33 PM
yesh, add me to the list. One thing I know, the guys on defense will play with fire or Mike will rip 'em a new one!

soonervegas
1/19/2012, 12:56 PM
It doesn't matter. Until the Head Coach gets his mojo back....I expect more of the same.

Unless Mike is his actual mojo....

PDXsooner
1/19/2012, 12:58 PM
I'm here. It might make sense to determine what "better" is or this will turn into a typical political argument where somehow both sides claim they're right.

I say if OU is in the top 20 in total D it's a major upgrade.

Sooner91ATL
1/19/2012, 01:05 PM
Sad Brent gone but glad Mike has arrived. Probably puts me on a different list.

En_Fuego
1/19/2012, 01:10 PM
http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac220/thealisaurus/GIF%20Animations/Happydance.gif

OUChampsBig12
1/19/2012, 01:14 PM
Is there really a difference in the two. I would expect about the same............This team wil improve and would have improved with either guy!

Sooner91ATL
1/19/2012, 01:28 PM
I say if OU is in the top 20 in total D it's a major upgrade.

I agree but can't see how that is going to happen unless Mike is bringing some SEC defenders with him.

Mississippi Sooner
1/19/2012, 01:32 PM
If I choose not to decide have I still made a choice?

PDXsooner
1/19/2012, 01:37 PM
Is there really a difference in the two. I would expect about the same............This team wil improve and would have improved with either guy!

The old "I loosened the lid and you got if off" trick. If the D is in the top 20 you have to give credit to Mike. Otherwise are we gonna hear "BV would have had them in the top 20 this year too" response? If so, what's the point of this thread?

EatLeadCommie
1/19/2012, 01:46 PM
It doesn't matter. Until the Head Coach gets his mojo back....I expect more of the same.

Unless Mike is his actual mojo....
Good point, though I think it's safe to say that BV was not the key to him rediscovering his mojo.

The staff needed a shakeup, whether Mike is the answer or not.

StoopTroup
1/19/2012, 02:14 PM

I think that's a fair accessment. I'd rather seen both here. Now we will never know who would end up in charge of the defense. It's Mike's Baby now. I surely hope he's up to the challenge and wasn't here before to just try and fit in and not shake things up like I was afraid he'd do. I felt when Mike stepped in the door he would be working with Brent's Defense and just become a part of the Team.

Today, it's Mikes to prepare for the upcoming season and to help decide who is going to assist him.

oudavid1
1/19/2012, 02:17 PM
What if you didnt really care about it cause you didnt think it mattered list?

oudanny
1/19/2012, 02:22 PM
I can't say I'm sorry to see BV go but I wouldn't have been upset if he had stayed. I don't think change is necessarily a bad thing though. Obviously, the results for the past couple of years were not good and were headed in the wrong direction.

MyT Oklahoma
1/19/2012, 02:45 PM
It is what it is. Now only time will tell how well this works out.

I'm glad Mike's back and I wish Brent only the best.

P.S. Mike > Brent.

colleyvillesooner
1/19/2012, 03:23 PM
One the most uniformed post I've read in a long time:

I'll assume you have been lurking then since you just joined the board 2 months ago.

First, we already know the grass is greener because we used to own the lawn, translation, Mike has already been a d-cord and he lead the team with a defense in the top 5. Why on earth would ANY educated football fan not want that back? How Mike did as a D coordinator 10 years ago has little bearing now. We have not seen how his schemes will fare against these much more advanced spread teams that the big 12 posseses, as well as no BV. I hope the answer is "very well" but time shall tell. We've seen Brent without Mike, now we will see Mike without Brent.

Second, your post seems to elude to the fact that you were once a Venbles supporter (as all sooner fans are, most just wanted him gone because they thought OU could do MUCH better) and now you seem down-right angry at those who believed Mike should come back. Perhaps you should email or text Bob Stoops because he obviously believes the same way the fans you are requesting to "shut up" Those aspersions were true, due to the fact Stoops just hired his brother back. I am 100% for Mike coming back, preferably with BV.

I think your post should demand something else. How about yourself and others that thought Venenbles should stay shut up for a while, as Stoops just sided with about 89% of the fans and hired Mike back. I'd be interested in saying the data from this poll.

Mike WILL be a better cord as he ALREADY proven to be so at OU... Get a clue, and request something that actually makes sense... Just because you were good at something once, doesn't mean you're guaranteed to be good at it again. Everything is right time, right place, right players. Go ask all those super bowl winning coaches who tried it again with another team.

This was mostly tongue in cheek. Anyone who knows my posting knows i don't think most stuff seriously and don't get my panties in a wad over much I don't expect anybody to stop bitching. It's what message boards are for. I just hope everyone who has said for the last 8 years that Mike leaving was the problem, is ready to handle it if it's not. The biggest thing the worries me is the lack of BV' s recruiting skills. From what I've read, Mike is great at evaluating talent, but isn't the closer BV is.

We're all on the same team here, so...

http://elbatower.com/GeoCache/francis.jpg

;)

colleyvillesooner
1/19/2012, 03:24 PM
Glad Mike coming back, not only because of his D coordinator prowess, but because I think he and Bob are both better coaches with each other than without. I would like for Brent to have remained in the roles Bob wanted for him, but in having to choose between Mike and Brent, Mike is the winner. I'm also intrigued to see new some blood on this coaching staff. I am hopeful we can find someone who matches or exceeds Brent as a linebackers coach and recruiter. I don't think that's too much for Oklahoma to expect.

I'm curious whether Colleyville Sooner wanted Brent to remain in his role as the sole D Coordinator as he has been the past several years?

I was interested in "Getting the band back together". We have seen for the last 8 years how 2/3rds of the band were together, now we getting a different 2/3rds of the band.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/19/2012, 03:58 PM
Consider me signed.

Question: What do the rest of the people on here have to do when our defenses return to feared, top 10 units and actually start winning games for us though? A lot of crows are gonna have to die to feed that crowd.Maybe someone will try to hire Mike as HC again. Maybe Arizona will want him back, after RichRod screws another pooch...

soonermix
1/19/2012, 05:02 PM
in

Edmond Sooner
1/19/2012, 05:06 PM
And they should be held to the same standard they held Venables: if, during the coming season, a SINGLE offensive touchdown is scored on OU's defense, I expect to see the same tiresome cranks who squawked "fire Venables!!!!!!111" over the past few years to demand the same be done to the current defensive coordinator.

They won't - it'll be all excuse city and "but this is different" if our defense doesn't perform up to par in any given game - and timely reminders of their past posts in this regard will only make them cranky and defensive.

I wish Venables well, and think he will be missed.

oumartin
1/19/2012, 05:32 PM
I think Mike might be a fix more for Bob than he will be a fix for the Defense.

I'm Glad Mike is back.
Here is the reason I am glad BV is gone. He had lost the respect of many of his defensive players due to his treatment of them. Change is good.

I've watched Mikes defenses get lit up but they defenses still would knock the sh!t outta ya and played with attitude.

It's not gonna take alot to improve on the last years defense.

GDC
1/19/2012, 05:36 PM
I don't give a flying piece of monkey **** who the coaches are as long as OU beats Texas.

If they beat Texas, I say pay the whole staff $25 million per year each.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/19/2012, 05:51 PM
If they(OU) beat Texas, I say pay the whole staff $25 million per year each.I would want them to dispatch aggy and domer as well, for that kinda moolah.

soonercoop1
1/19/2012, 05:54 PM
Maybe someone will try to hire Mike as HC again. Maybe Arizona will want him back, after RichRod screws another pooch...

That RichRod hire was definitely a head-scratcher...

the_ouskull
1/19/2012, 06:44 PM
In.

..but, for what it's worth, Brent being gone wasn't as large a priority for me, personally, as Mike being back. I kinda liked taking bets back in the day over which one of them would head-butt a player, sans helmet. Que sera sera.

cleller
1/19/2012, 08:22 PM
I surely wanted Mike back. Didn't really want Brent gone.

SoonernAR
1/19/2012, 08:46 PM
In, hardly consider this a gamble.

bluedogok
1/19/2012, 11:19 PM
I did, I thought it was cool, but selfishly as a fan.

Unselfishly, I think this will give Brent V an opportunity to grow as a head coach. You can only learn so much from one mentor and it's time for him to leave the mother hen's nest.
I agree, I think the national perception of Brent had kind of stagnated. I think if he has success at Clemson people will see him out of Bob's shadow and he will become a hot candidate for head coaching jobs in the future.

Coordinators are an odd lot with fans, most want them gone even if they aren't the problem. The OC with the Broncos became the hot assistant -> HC candidate this year after the Broncos season with it looking like he is headed to the Dolphins. The funny thing is all the Tebowners wanted him fired because he was "holding Timmy back", they are just delusional in that thinking it was the coordinator who was holding him back.

Nah....he can always find something to bitch about.

StoopTroup
1/20/2012, 12:07 AM
I agree, I think the national perception of Brent had kind of stagnated. I think if he has success at Clemson people will see him out of Bob's shadow and he will become a hot candidate for head coaching jobs in the future.

That's what I was saying in another thread that Brent had already interviewed for HC at Clemson in 2008 so if Clemson get's unhappy with Dabo real quick...say 1-2 years....they can just put Brent right in the job as Interim and even if they end up completely disassembling this Coaching staff again...they will have a qualified guy in there until they either decide to keep Brent and let him build the Program from where Dabo left off or leave him in charge until they find another guy they think will make the idiots there happy.

hawaii 5-0
1/20/2012, 01:36 AM
Buh Bye Brent.

Welcome back Mike.

Let's go shut some people down.

5-0

Sooner_Bob
1/20/2012, 11:21 AM

Pffft . . . you act like fans don't have the right to complain . . . just to complain. You know better than that. :indecisiveness:

Curly Bill
1/20/2012, 12:46 PM
And this is just the place to complain. Dean told me the more we complain the better!

UberSooner
1/20/2012, 12:55 PM
I don't think it matters a ton. I don't see much difference between Mike and Brent except personalities and that's limited to what I hear and see on T.V. down the sidelines. They coach from the same philosophical beliefs about how you scheme a D as I understand it. Until we get guys who can man up on the corners and D ends who can get consistent pressure, we're not going to be dominant under any coach. We will continue as a bend don't break D and our success will depend more on opposing QB's talent in exploiting the same weeknesses they see on film every year.

Sooner_Bob
1/20/2012, 01:36 PM
And this is just the place to complain. Dean told me the more we complain the better!

Is it ok to complain as long as your opinion matches that of everyone else?

Curly Bill
1/20/2012, 01:41 PM
Is it ok to complain as long as your opinion matches that of everyone else?

That is preferred, otherwise they call ya names and tell ya how you're not a real fan and all.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/20/2012, 01:49 PM
Your opinion only matters if I agree

Curly Bill
1/20/2012, 01:52 PM

Usually you and I do agree, so I can live with that. ;)

badger
1/20/2012, 02:36 PM

Here's one that I think people would agree with just because of who it comes from: Ladies and gentlemen, he's the man, he's number 40, he's...

"Coach Venables is a great teacher," said Lofton, starting middle linebacker for the Atlanta Falcons. "I mean, I came from Class 3A football (Kingfisher). I didn't know anything about Cover 2, Cover 3; I just went out and played. Once I got to Oklahoma, one of the main things he taught me was discipline and how to study film.

"You'd be surprised. I've been in the league four years now, and I've run into numerous players that don't know how to study film and don't know how to break it down and carry it onto the practice field and into the games on Sunday. That's one of the things he taught me how to do, and I use that to this day."

And how about...

"He's one of the foundations that started it all," Strait told the Tulsa World in a telephone interview Thursday. "It's kind of crazy."

Read more here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20120120_92_B1_CUTLIN825353)

I know our guys are probably biased, but aren't we all a little crimson-shaded in our eyes? :)

TUSooner
1/20/2012, 03:10 PM
I don't give a flying piece of monkey **** who the coaches are as long as OU beats Texas.

If they beat Texas, I say pay the whole staff $25 million per year each.

Is this a FPOMF sighting?! It seems like it's been awhile. spek

oumartin
1/20/2012, 03:12 PM
I don't think anyone here denys that Brent did some great things. a great coach for linebackers no doubt and probably many other things nobody sees.
I just didn't like his approach on gamedays. Maybe I'll be proved wrong, maybe I won't. I do know he lost respect of alot of the current players for things he has said and done.

I think the last few years have shows that he wasn't going to get a HC gig and his star didn't shine as bright as it once did. Maybe this change will do him some good and I am pretty sure it will do OU some good.

I wish him good luck. Kinda torn about him leaving because I did want him coaching the linebackers.

8timechamps
1/20/2012, 03:55 PM
Is this a FPOMF sighting?! It seems like it's been awhile. spek

Norm is proud. Somewhere.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/20/2012, 05:01 PM
Just saw him in orange..made my stomach turn a little

Hotrod3157
1/20/2012, 06:17 PM
I was wanting some kind of change made on the defensive side. I wasn't one screaming to bring Mike back so you can put me down halfway. Get to see now if this change was a good one but i've got my fingers crossed that its all good.

bmjlr
1/20/2012, 10:47 PM
Count me in!!!

LakeRat
1/23/2012, 04:22 PM
If we win a NC in the next 11 years it was the right choice. The other way wasn't working.

Count me in. Wasn't the most preferable. But we will be better on defense than we have been.

C&CDean
1/24/2012, 01:41 PM
The only way our defense will be better than last year is if Mike can pick up some hungry recruits. A bunch of you knuckleheads put way too much emphasis on coaching.

Curly Bill
1/24/2012, 01:43 PM
The only way our defense will be better than last year is if Mike can pick up some hungry recruits. A bunch of you knuckleheads put way too much emphasis on coaching.

I'm prolly one of the knuckleheads you're talking about...and I still agree with ya, somewhat at least. I think the D will be better regardless, but it is mostly about the players - always has been, always will be.

UberSooner
1/24/2012, 02:13 PM
It's about the jimmys and joes not the x's and o's. God I hate that saying but, pretty acurate.

oumartin
1/24/2012, 05:50 PM
Yep, we all know Blake was on the cusp of winning the 200 NC.

hawaii 5-0
1/24/2012, 10:04 PM
Notice that Venables still isn't head coach at a major college.

That alone should tell ya sumthin'.

5-0

LASooner
1/24/2012, 10:34 PM
http://www.fohguild.org/forums/attachments/screenshots/193740d1327225119-animated-gif-thread-mhcp7.gif

C&CDean
1/25/2012, 07:13 PM
Yep, we all know Blake was on the cusp of winning the 200 NC.

He's an old muh****ah, but not even Joepa was around in the year of our Lord 200. Also, Venables was here when we won our last championship as well. No Heupel, no NC.

8timechamps
1/25/2012, 07:42 PM
For whatever reason, we've whiffed on defensive recruits this year. We've landed a couple of good looking kids, but the big fish we were after all went elsewhere. Maybe we're going to win every game 77-65 next year.

ashley
1/26/2012, 08:31 AM
It's about players. Can't you look at the LSU and Alabama D and see this.

Curly Bill
1/26/2012, 08:34 AM
For whatever reason, we've whiffed on defensive recruits this year. We've landed a couple of good looking kids, but the big fish we were after all went elsewhere. Maybe we're going to win every game 77-65 next year.

Isn't this pretty much what we've been having to do anyway? We'll be used to it.

C&CDean
1/26/2012, 12:47 PM
It's about players. Can't you look at the LSU and Alabama D and see this.

You are ready grasshoppah...

sooner ngintunr
1/26/2012, 07:02 PM
In.