PDA

View Full Version : Hell on Wheels

SicEmBaylor
1/19/2012, 04:11 AM
I just finished the season -- what an awesome show! Definitely one of the best things I've seen on TV in some time. If you like gritty westerns then you'd probably enjoy this show. I definitely recommend.

This is, bar none, the best scene of the first season. The best exchange starts at 1:45:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN6ehR5jV4s&feature=share

XingTheRubicon
1/19/2012, 10:21 AM
Loved, and I mean loved the first season. Kind of presented like Deadwood, but not quite as disgusting. I talk to my wife in the "Swede voice" sometimes when we disagree. She's starting to tire of that accent.

...and Sic'em, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but, from what I can tell, it appears the South lost the war in this show too.

SicEmBaylor
1/19/2012, 05:08 PM
...and Sic'em, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but, from what I can tell, it appears the South lost the war in this show too.
http://pendletonpanther.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/debbie.gif

GDC
1/19/2012, 05:33 PM
Better than Deadwood? I lost interest after a couple episodes.

delhalew
1/19/2012, 09:49 PM
Better than Deadwood? I lost interest after a couple episodes.

Not better. The two best shows ever made were aired on HBO, and cancelled after two seasons. Deadwood and Carnivale.

Speaking of Carnivale, those folks knew how to tar and feather a mofo. If a certain character in Hell on Wheels had gotten a Carnivale style T and F, he would be dead for sure.

Hell on Wheels is good TV, and unlike the tools at HBO who would rather show Big Love and Entourage than Deadwood, Hell on Wheels might get a full run.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
1/20/2012, 02:17 PM
Carnivale was pretty creepy and compelling. Clancy Brown was terrifying.

Lott's Bandana
1/20/2012, 02:23 PM
Not better. The two best shows ever made were aired on HBO, and cancelled after two seasons. Deadwood and Carnivale.

Speaking of Carnivale, those folks knew how to tar and feather a mofo. If a certain character in Hell on Wheels had gotten a Carnivale style T and F, he would be dead for sure.

Hell on Wheels is good TV, and unlike the tools at HBO who would rather show Big Love and Entourage than Deadwood, Hell on Wheels might get a full run.

Forgive me, but HBO gets a pass for a long time for showing dreck, simply because they presented us with the gift of: The Wire.

fin

delhalew
1/20/2012, 02:36 PM
Carnivale was pretty creepy and compelling. Clancy Brown was terrifying.

I've never seen anything like that on tv before or since.

delhalew
1/20/2012, 02:40 PM
Forgive me, but HBO gets a pass for a long time for showing dreck, simply because they presented us with the gift of: The Wire.

fin

Negatory. I will never forgive HBO for cancelling those two shows. At the time, HBO was supposed to be the place were shows that the masses may not be able to digest could thrive. I would gladly **** the exec who cancelled Carnivale with a chainsaw.

Lott's Bandana
1/20/2012, 02:54 PM
Carnivale and Deadwood were simply not for me. However, neither is Dostoyevsky, but I tried all three and I recognize the brilliance.

delhalew
1/20/2012, 03:08 PM
I don't know exactly what wiring in a person's brain has to be mixed up in order for them to love Carnivale, but those of us who loved it, did so fully and violently.

Oddly enough, my wife and parents all loved it. Though, not like I did.
I think had to do with the mixture of a dust bowl setting of occult, old time religion, and general depravity, with a David Lynch style of story telling.

No wonder they didn't sell enough DVDs.