PDA

View Full Version : New Linebackers Coach

Always_Sooner
1/19/2012, 01:04 AM
Now that it's confirmed Brent Venables is leaving for Clemson we should be able to move on with our lives. Any
realistic possibilities or prior connections to fill the open position for the 2012 staff?

oumartin
1/19/2012, 01:08 AM
jkm. Dude has forgotten more about football than Lombardi ever knew.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2012, 01:13 AM
I would like Tyrone Nix to get a look...From Alabama, played at Souther Miss, can recruit the area

StoopTroup
1/19/2012, 01:18 AM
I think it's great that you are calling for who you like STEP....but who's the best LB Coach that will fit with whatever Defensive Scheme that Bob and Mike will need to implement that works with the hurry up offense?

I don't see us changing our Offensive Scheme this next year so I think we'll need a goot fit on D that can get our LBs to work their asses off like is needed when we do those 3 and outs or quick scores.

SoonerNate
1/19/2012, 01:21 AM
We can't get Leavitt as he's still coaching in the playoffs (he has ties to Bob)

How about Randy Shannon?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2012, 01:23 AM
Linebackers coach and the hurry up offense don't have anything to do with each other..Any coach's scheme is to get his defense off the field as soon as possible...

StoopTroup
1/19/2012, 01:24 AM
We can't get Leavitt as he's still coaching in the playoffs (he has ties to Bob)

How about Randy Shannon?

Blevins tweet...

Our good friend @JRsBBQ (http://twitter.com/JRsBBQ) Jim Ross asks about Stoops friend Jim Leavitt (from KSU days) 2 replace Venables. S. Fla HC/now LBs w#49ers. HR hire

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2012, 01:24 AM

How about Randy Shannon?

Randy Shannon is getting a lot of talk...The only reason I didn't bring him up is because he is in every other discussion..I would hope it's someone with some ties to the southeast

StoopTroup
1/19/2012, 01:28 AM
Linebackers coach and the hurry up offense don't have anything to do with each other..Any coach's scheme is to get his defense off the field as soon as possible...

I'm just saying....in a stealth manner....What kind of Defense will Mike run as evidently Bob has planned to use Mike to change the defensive scheme and get Brent to commit to it. Thus Brent went looking for a job very seriously. Whether it's hurry up Offense or a really bad Offense that can't keep the Defense off the field....it would seem the D-Scheme will change so who will be a good fit? It's really hard to just toss out names IMO as we have no idea what Mike plans to use yet.

http://www.blatanthomerism.com/

Always_Sooner
1/19/2012, 01:32 AM
Any of those would be excellent.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2012, 01:41 AM
It's not hard at all really..Especially when you've seen the work these guys do....Nix, Shannon, Matt Burke, Luke Fickell...

StoopTroup
1/19/2012, 01:42 AM
It seems that we are in a bad spot as we have to live with who is available instead of having time to really romance someone that we might like to see that is currently rocking it out as a Linebacker Coach and could bring recruits with him that were a good fit. Seems we are very lucky Mike came even though he bailed out so late on us.

StoopTroup
1/19/2012, 01:51 AM
It's not hard at all really..Especially when you've seen the work these guys do....Nix, Shannon, Matt Burke, Luke Fickell...

Patrick Nix? Isn't he more of an offensive guy and didn't fail to get along with Shannon? Also...Shannon really had an awful time as HC....not sure why you think he's so great.

Matt Burke of the Lions?

Fickell would seem to be the most qualified and maybe the best fit as far as the guys you mentioned. Nobody else that we might really go after with big dough? No young prodigies?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2012, 01:58 AM
Post #3....you have the wrong Nix brother..

And being a HC and a position coach having nothing to do with each other...I can go down a list of guys who can coach a position but couldn't lead the team..Kevin Steele is another one who falls in that line..

Not saying Burke is a candidate but the guy knows his stuff..Fickell probably isn't going to happen because he is getting some love from tOSU for his loyalty...

SoonerNate
1/19/2012, 02:03 AM
Blevins tweet...

But we can't interview him as long as they are in the playoffs no?

StoopTroup
1/19/2012, 02:05 AM
Fickell probably isn't going to happen because he is getting some love from tOSU for his loyalty...

I can see that too. Just a quick glance at Fickells Profile would seem to indicate a bidding war with them.

batonrougesooner
1/19/2012, 02:10 AM
Whom ever it is they will be a good hire.

It's still OU. Coaches want to be here.

SoonerNate
1/19/2012, 02:12 AM
Whom ever it is they will be a good hire.

It's still OU. Coaches want to be here.

Whoever it is I hope they can recruit in your neck of the woods.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2012, 02:16 AM
The guy I referred to in post 3 is Tyrone Nix..He's been a DC and LB coach and is a good recruiter in the southeast...Was at Ole Miss last I believe..

Tired old desperate guy? He's only 45, helped Miami win a NC, won the Broyles award, and had top defenses as a DC and contributed big time LB crews while being a top recruiter in the area of the country that is turning out the best LBs....And not sure why he wouldn't be considered a family man when he is married to the mother of his kids

batonrougesooner
1/19/2012, 02:38 AM
lol. No longer in Baton Rouge. OKC now. But I get what you're saying.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/19/2012, 07:45 AM
Go after Tademy of TCU. That way, Oklahoma gets a very good linebackers coach that recruits the Texas area and also has a in on TCU's offensive and defensive schemes for next season. :pride:

jk the sooner fan
1/19/2012, 07:56 AM
I think it's great that you are calling for who you like STEP....but who's the best LB Coach that will fit with whatever Defensive Scheme that Bob and Mike will need to implement that works with the hurry up offense?

I don't see us changing our Offensive Scheme this next year so I think we'll need a goot fit on D that can get our LBs to work their asses off like is needed when we do those 3 and outs or quick scores.

Blevins tweet...

I'm just saying....in a stealth manner....What kind of Defense will Mike run as evidently Bob has planned to use Mike to change the defensive scheme and get Brent to commit to it. Thus Brent went looking for a job very seriously. Whether it's hurry up Offense or a really bad Offense that can't keep the Defense off the field....it would seem the D-Scheme will change so who will be a good fit? It's really hard to just toss out names IMO as we have no idea what Mike plans to use yet.

http://www.blatanthomerism.com/

It seems that we are in a bad spot as we have to live with who is available instead of having time to really romance someone that we might like to see that is currently rocking it out as a Linebacker Coach and could bring recruits with him that were a good fit. Seems we are very lucky Mike came even though he bailed out so late on us.

Patrick Nix? Isn't he more of an offensive guy and didn't fail to get along with Shannon? Also...Shannon really had an awful time as HC....not sure why you think he's so great.

Matt Burke of the Lions?

Fickell would seem to be the most qualified and maybe the best fit as far as the guys you mentioned. Nobody else that we might really go after with big dough? No young prodigies?

I can see that too. Just a quick glance at Fickells Profile would seem to indicate a bidding war with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM-G0bkl8MQ

jmr_77
1/19/2012, 08:04 AM
Randy Shannon would be an excellent choice, IMO. He worked with the defenses at Miami that had LBs like Ray Lewis, Jonathan Vilma, and other really good players. He can obviously recruit the southeast, namely Florida.

stoopified
1/19/2012, 08:05 AM
Mark Soops?

Soonermagik
1/19/2012, 08:34 AM
I know a lot of people are stoked he's gone. I don't really care either way. I think Mike Stoops will be fine and may be better than Brent. I feel like this team might have had a chance at a national title this past season if they had no injuries to Broyles or Whaley. However, the crappy defensive play is really what killed our national title dreams and that does fall on Venables.

Personally, I think Clemson panicked because they got lit up by 70 points in a BCS game. Venables should be a good fit there, though. I mean, the guy is playing in the weak ACC and he only has to worry about playing FSU. I would have left, too. Easy schedule and a lot more money.

gernblansten
1/19/2012, 09:56 AM
Also...Shannon really had an awful time as HC....not sure why you think he's so great.

Mike seemed to have a pretty rough time as a HC, folks seem to think he's pretty great.

KantoSooner
1/19/2012, 10:18 AM
How's Charlie Strong doing? IMHO, he was more responsible for UF's success than Urban. If the head coach's gig is working there's no chance, but I really haven't been paying attention.

Midtowner
1/19/2012, 10:43 AM
I can't believe no one has mentioned Jerry Sandusky. Dude used to be the Chancellor of Linebacker U.

PLaw
1/19/2012, 10:59 AM
Whoever it is, they better be able to recruit.

My pref is Shannon.

BOOMER

delhalew
1/19/2012, 11:13 AM
Braden Gall just told me he is hearing Kish and Leavitt. Who the hell is Kish?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2012, 11:15 AM
Kish was with Mike at Arizona..

delhalew
1/19/2012, 11:23 AM
Kish was with Mike at Arizona..

Right. It finally dawned on me. Wasn't he interim head coach as well? LB coach seems like a big step down. Better than unemployment I guess.

Soonermagik
1/19/2012, 11:49 AM
I can't believe no one has mentioned Jerry Sandusky. Dude used to be the Chancellor of Linebacker U.

He's going to start up the longest yard type team.

goingoneight
1/19/2012, 12:34 PM
If all the coach is going to be doing is coaching LBs, I wonder if we don't save a buck or two and bring in a young gun with connections to OU and his former position. Like they did with Heupel in 2005. Where's Ryan Reynolds at now? I dunno, just a suggestion. I don't see a real young candidate using the position as a stepping stone job. When you stop and think about it, even position coaches make sick salaries for young and "hungrier" guys. It'd be even better to find an ace LB and ST coach to kill two birds with one six-figure stone.

sooneredaco
1/19/2012, 12:38 PM

If your talking about dirty Jerry, last I heard he had some obligations to fulfill for the prosecutors. Plus I think he's holding out for an HC job at some top level elementary school. He seems to really enjoy working with the kids.

PalmBeachSooner
1/19/2012, 01:47 PM
I'm sure whoever it is will have ties to Iowa.

northspeter
1/19/2012, 01:50 PM
It's probably going to be Kish, but I like Tademy from TCU also...

PalmBeachSooner
1/19/2012, 01:53 PM
Go after Tademy of TCU. That way, Oklahoma gets a very good linebackers coach that recruits the Texas area and also has a in on TCU's offensive and defensive schemes for next season. :pride:

Wouldn't he have to sit out a year?

Just kidding.

PalmBeachSooner
1/19/2012, 01:56 PM
Braden Gall just told me he is hearing Kish and Leavitt. Who the hell is Kish?

Why would Leavitt leave the 49ers?

TheUnnamedSooner
1/19/2012, 02:05 PM
What's Michael Singletary up to these days?

Soonermagik
1/19/2012, 02:15 PM

Probably still pulling his pants down.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/19/2012, 02:19 PM

LB coach for Vikings. But rumored that the Vikes may be looking for a way to part ways with him. Nobody is naming names, but is rumored to have run-ins with a number of players, and the Vikes pbp guy Paul Allen was on with former LS Mike Morris (who still has team connections) the other morning and they agreed that a number of guys have approached each individually stating they don't think much of his coaching accumen. FWIW.

StoopTroup
1/19/2012, 02:37 PM
The guy I referred to in post 3 is Tyrone Nix..He's been a DC and LB coach and is a good recruiter in the southeast...Was at Ole Miss last I believe..

Tired old desperate guy? He's only 45, helped Miami win a NC, won the Broyles award, and had top defenses as a DC and contributed big time LB crews while being a top recruiter in the area of the country that is turning out the best LBs....And not sure why he wouldn't be considered a family man when he is married to the mother of his kids

I had the wrong Nix. He's still older than Venables. Agreed Brent is gone but what we are talking about is who is Mike and Bob comfortable with and if for any reason Brent moved on because OU didn't increase his pay, are any of these guys a real possible catch if we are only shelling out $440,000 or less?

I know folks think that we will shell out however much money we need to snag a Coach to work with Mike but it sure seems we either didn't do that with Venables or Brent took the Clemson job purely over being able to call his own defense and money had zero to do with him leaving. I can only guess why he left.

Now, what's the price we are willing to shell out for a replacement for BV? A million? 1/2 that?

What is a guy like Tyrone or Shannon gonna cost?

Are they really just wish list guys? Or are they real candidates for a LB Coach?

OUTrumpet
1/19/2012, 03:02 PM
I know a lot of people are stoked he's gone. I don't really care either way. I think Mike Stoops will be fine and may be better than Brent. I feel like this team might have had a chance at a national title this past season if they had no injuries to Broyles or Whaley. However, the crappy defensive play is really what killed our national title dreams and that does fall on Venables.

Personally, I think Clemson panicked because they got lit up by 70 points in a BCS game. Venables should be a good fit there, though. I mean, the guy is playing in the weak ACC and he only has to worry about playing FSU. I would have left, too. Easy schedule and a lot more money.

The Tech and Okie St loss weren't on the defense. First half of the Tech game the defense was on the field almost the entire half as the offense only could go 3 and out or fumble the ball. Even good defenses will get run down like that. I think we shouldn't have left that young guy in there so long at DB, but there is no reason why the offense couldn't move the ball for garbage.

Okie St just forced a ton of turnovers and scored or were in a great scoring position all the time. It was 10-3 before the offense started turning it over.

Baylor certainly as heck was the defense's fault.

TheUnnamedSooner
1/19/2012, 03:22 PM
LB coach for Vikings. But rumored that the Vikes may be looking for a way to part ways with him. Nobody is naming names, but is rumored to have run-ins with a number of players, and the Vikes pbp guy Paul Allen was on with former LS Mike Morris (who still has team connections) the other morning and they agreed that a number of guys have approached each individually stating they don't think much of his coaching accumen. FWIW.

So, you're saying he will be on OU's staff by next week?

JiuJitsuSooner
1/19/2012, 04:23 PM
OU was going to match Clemson's $$ offer to keep Bv

MichiganSooner
1/19/2012, 04:57 PM
These 2 men have no coaching experience that I know about but were All American linebackers in college who also played in the NFL.

Rocky Calmus and Teddy Lehman. Could they coach OU linebackers?

Fraggle145
1/19/2012, 05:27 PM
At ESPN they mentioned Mike Tressel:
The brother of the former Ohio State coach, Tressel is in his fifth year coaching linebackers and, yes, special teams for Michigan State. The Spartans have been tremendous at linebacker in recent years, leading the Big Ten in rush defense and total defense this past season. Michigan State’s special teams have also been terrific under Tressel. A linebackers coach with a proven track record who can also coach special teams seems like a win-win for the Sooners.

STEP any thoughts?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2012, 05:29 PM
Yeah, I was trying to find his info last night before I went to bed...I keep thinking Tressel has a brother out there but couldn't remember the school...Man, he has been producing some good LBers up there...Gets a lot out of his players..Even gets the undersized guys to shed blocks..

EatLeadCommie
1/19/2012, 05:30 PM
The Tech and Okie St loss weren't on the defense. First half of the Tech game the defense was on the field almost the entire half as the offense only could go 3 and out or fumble the ball. Even good defenses will get run down like that. I think we shouldn't have left that young guy in there so long at DB, but there is no reason why the offense couldn't move the ball for garbage.

Okie St just forced a ton of turnovers and scored or were in a great scoring position all the time. It was 10-3 before the offense started turning it over.

Baylor certainly as heck was the defense's fault.
I believe our defense set records for futility in the Tech game, before the Baylor game set new records. The defense absolutely was to blame in the Tech game. Sure you can blame the offense somewhat, but that is an absolute copout. In the end, our D gave up 572 total yards (AT HOME to a crappy TT team) and our O gained 536.

oumartin
1/19/2012, 05:38 PM
Mike won't be afraid to go Slap Bob in the face and tell him to quit running that stupid @ss offense.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/19/2012, 06:02 PM
People have mentioned Chris Wilson... He was already here once. Why would he come back and take a step down from the DC position at Mississippi State? Doesn't make sense unless he is already on the hot seat there.

If Randy Shannon is simply out of work and looking for a place to get in, he gets my vote. Intense (in a smoldering way as opposed to Mike's TNT approach) and can recruit South FL. Only drawback is that if our defense does make large improvement I would expect him to quickly be a candidate for other openings (ala Pelini.) So he would probably have to be considered a stop-gap.

Fraggle145
1/19/2012, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I was trying to find his info last night before I went to bed...I keep thinking Tressel has a brother out there but couldn't remember the school...Man, he has been producing some good LBers up there...Gets a lot out of his players..Even gets the undersized guys to shed blocks..

That would be a welcome sight. Also a Special teams coach... Nice. I vote Tressel.

ashley
1/19/2012, 08:07 PM
It will be his LB coach from Arizona. Forger everyone else. It is over.

Whet
1/19/2012, 08:48 PM
Tressel is the nephew of the former tOSU coach.

ashley
1/19/2012, 08:52 PM

No they were not.

Fraggle145
1/19/2012, 09:32 PM

Not saying you are wrong, but who the **** are you?

StoopTroup
1/19/2012, 10:38 PM

Far as I know....that was pure speculation. You know...Twitter fodder.

I felt or at least hoped that was the situation. I've been busy this afternoon though and had to quit following all this as closely as I have been. Has Clemson said what they are paying Venables?

StoopTroup
1/19/2012, 10:41 PM
No they were not.

That's what I think happened. Brent not only had to deal with the whole is Mike in charge of the defense or am I?.....And....Will interviewing at Clemson get me more money and a job that allows me to call the defense?

One or more of all these things that have been tossed around seem to have become true and were enough to get Brent to leave OU.

StoopTroup
1/19/2012, 10:44 PM

I have wondered if Mike has guys who lost jobs at AZ possibly ready to come here myself. Is it possible? I'd think that in these hard times....sure it's possible. Who would want to be unemployed right now and who would want to lose a high paying job like that when they were very happy Coaching with Mike?

It will be interesting how all these new rumors and twitter feed will pan out.

We did already see one of his TE Recruits come here.

oumartin
1/19/2012, 10:48 PM
I can eat alphabet soup and sh!t out more logical sentences than troup posts.

StoopTroup
1/19/2012, 10:52 PM
I can eat alphabet soup and sh!t out more logical sentences than troup posts.

You'd bleed to death trying to open the can with that last tooth you have in your head.

delhalew
1/19/2012, 10:56 PM
No they were not.

You calling Brent a liar?

delhalew
1/19/2012, 10:58 PM
That's what I think happened. Brent not only had to deal with the whole is Mike in charge of the defense or am I?.....And....Will interviewing at Clemson get me more money and a job that allows me to call the defense?

One or more of all these things that have been tossed around seem to have become true and were enough to get Brent to leave OU.

So did you not listen to the interview with Toby? Or do you just think Brent was lying about the situation and his motivations?

StoopTroup
1/19/2012, 10:59 PM
You calling Brent a liar?

Did Brent finally shed light on why he left and how much Clemson offered him?

delhalew
1/19/2012, 11:00 PM
Geez people. There was some good stuff in the darkest hour thread.

http://sportstalk1400.podomatic.com/player/web/2012-01-19T06_58_11-08_00

oumartin
1/19/2012, 11:05 PM
You'd bleed to death trying to open the can with that last tooth you have in your head.

could I borrow some of your loritab to ease the pain?

StoopTroup
1/19/2012, 11:07 PM

Yeah I saw that earlier this morning before I got busy but it wouldn't play on my IPhone.

I'll check it out.

delhalew
1/19/2012, 11:08 PM
Yeah I saw that earlier this morning before I got busy but it wouldn't play on my IPhone.

I'll check it out.

I've tried to tell you people, Droid beats Iphone.

JiuJitsuSooner
1/19/2012, 11:12 PM
No they were not.

http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2012/01/19/transcript-brent-venables-talks-to-toby-rowland-on-sports-talk-1400-am-the-ref/

It’s always a collective deal, and you work through all those situations and share in the success as well. The dynamics were going to be really just how they were when Bo and I were together, and really that’s how they insisted that it be. Oklahoma, I’m very humbled. I felt they moved mountains to change some philosophical approach on financial, on how they pay you — multi-year opportunity with virtually the same amount of money that Clemson was offering. At the end of the day it came down to feeling like really it was time for me to go pursue a really unique opportunity, one I didn’t know would maybe come up again.
Rowland: So OU was able to get close to matching the dollar figure?
Venables: Oh yeah. Years and dollar figure. So I couldn’t have been more humbled. Really, again, their actions and what they were willing to do for me and my family to keep me in Norman … believe me it was a really gut-wrenching process for me.

Guess you know more about the offer than even Brent

StoopTroup
1/19/2012, 11:24 PM

So he left because the money was better (Well Virtually Better...lol....whatever that means) and that he felt like he needed some change. He did sound like he almost lost it at the last of the interview when he talked about Norman being his Home.

Nice Interview....I still would have asked him a bunch more questions that I'm sure he would have just sidestepped or said he didn't want to talk about all the details until it was all on paper or something but it sure seems he must have got enough to uproot his Family.

StoopTroup
1/19/2012, 11:27 PM
I've tried to tell you people, Droid beats Iphone.

They both have their drawbacks. I've had this 3GS now for a long time and I've seen plenty of my co-workers Droids fall apart and crap out.

StoopTroup
1/19/2012, 11:33 PM
http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2012/01/19/transcript-brent-venables-talks-to-toby-rowland-on-sports-talk-1400-am-the-ref/

Guess you know more about the offer than even Brent

Come on now...Virtually must have been quite a bit of difference as he's gone.

We obviously didn't find it worth keeping him because we outbid Clemson either....it's why I'm saying that some of these names for replacements might not be really viable as to get some of them....especially guys who are ex-head coaches....we might need to throw huge money. If we were gonna do that...Brent would still be at OU.

bluedogok
1/19/2012, 11:37 PM
Far as I know....that was pure speculation. You know...Twitter fodder.

I felt or at least hoped that was the situation. I've been busy this afternoon though and had to quit following all this as closely as I have been. Has Clemson said what they are paying Venables?
Clemson is paying OC Chad Morris $1.3 million, that's a big bump from his days as the Lake Travis HS coach where he was hired for $103,000 in 2008. He was the head coach of Jevan Snead at Stephenville before heading to Lake Travis and coaching Garrett Gilbert. I have seen some reports say they are going to pay Brent around $800,000 a year.

SBNation.com - Chad Morris Of Clemson Joins Million-Dollar Coordinators Club (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2011/12/13/2633277/chad-morris-clemson-contract-salary)

delhalew
1/19/2012, 11:45 PM
I believe Brent when he said he needed to make a move to broaden himself, if he ever wanted to be a head coach. This is the only logical reason to leave a place he loves to go to Clemson. The money was comparable, South Carolin is a very nice place, but upward mobility is key. Outside of us fans, most people credit Venables for being a capable defensive mind. If he wants to move up, he needs to prove he can do it outside of his support network.

delhalew
1/19/2012, 11:46 PM
They both have their drawbacks. I've had this 3GS now for a long time and I've seen plenty of my co-workers Droids fall apart and crap out.

You know someone who's phone broke? Meanwhile, I watch whatever I want on my phone.

StoopTroup
1/19/2012, 11:48 PM
Clemson is paying OC Chad Morris $1.3 million, that's a big bump from his days as the Lake Travis HS coach where he was hired for $103,000 in 2008. He was the head coach of Jevan Snead at Stephenville before heading to Lake Travis and coaching Garrett Gilbert. I have seen some reports say they are going to pay Brent around $800,000 a year.

SBNation.com - Chad Morris Of Clemson Joins Million-Dollar Coordinators Club (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2011/12/13/2633277/chad-morris-clemson-contract-salary)

So we still have nothing but speculation. I know the twitter fodder said OU had offered to double Brent's Salary which would have made it $880,000 but in that or another tweet they threw a figure that was like $780,000. Now if Brent left because of Money....it was over $20,000-80,000? That's still hard to see when we know that Clemson is out like a Million still on the last DC on top of shelling out the 1.3 to the new OC and the amount they must be paying Dabo.

Now...(In Brent third person). if I've not only had my Buddy Terry at Clemson interview me 3 years ago for the HC Job and they didn't get me then.....I'm thinking my buddy told me to just take the damn Clemson Job as if Dabo didn't light a fire in 1-2 years....Brent would be sitting in the Head Coach job there.

StoopTroup
1/19/2012, 11:51 PM
You know someone who's phone broke? Meanwhile, I watch whatever I want on my phone.
And
I was just to lazy to turn my laptop on that was sitting next to my phone.....so I had the best of both Worlds right there in front of me but I chose to just not watch the link until this evening.

WTH ever....lol

I think the Kindle Fire is on the other side of the room too.

I have AT&T Bundled Package....I like my damn phone even every now and then there are a few links I can't watch or may I say listen to....

If you knew how hard it was just to get my Wife from buying an Android and forcing me to dump the phone I like...you'd understand that I like the idea of us all having the same type of phones. I don't know if you are single but I've had all three of us in this house with everyone having a different damn phone and having to get car chargers and wall chargers for every damn one....

Now we are all using IPhones and we can all use each others charging cords etc...

There's no damn way I'm changing to a droid until they start packaging them up for free.

Also...when I signed onto AT&T and bought this IPhone 3GS...it came with unlimited Internet time. With the service I have and the unlimited access....I'm happier than Bob Stoops when he checks his bank account.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2012, 11:52 PM
I read today that the combined salary of the coordinators was 2.1 mil..they were comparing it to a few years ago when you could combine the entire coaching staffs pay and it was 2.7..

StoopTroup
1/20/2012, 12:02 AM
I read today that the combined salary of the coordinators was 2.1 mil..they were comparing it to a few years ago when you could combine the entire coaching staffs pay and it was 2.7..

Remember hearing Switzer talk about maybe going back to Coaching now as the damn money compared to what he was making is so damn high now....he'd consider signing a new contract?

delhalew
1/20/2012, 01:24 AM
And
I was just to lazy to turn my laptop on that was sitting next to my phone.....so I had the best of both Worlds right there in front of me but I chose to just not watch the link until this evening.

WTH ever....lol

I have AT&T Bundled Package....I like my damn phone even every now and then there are a few links I can't watch or may I say listen to....

If you knew how hard it was just to get my Wife from buying an Android and forcing me to dump the phone I like...you'd understand that I like the idea of us all having the same type of phones. I don't know if you are single but I've had all three of us in this house with everyone having a different damn phone and having to get car chargers and wall chargers for every damn one....

Now we are all using IPhones and we can all use each others charging cords etc...

There's no damn way I'm changing to a droid until they start packaging them up for free.

Also...when I signed onto AT&T and bought this IPhone 3GS...it came with unlimited Internet time. With the service I have and the unlimited access....I'm happier than Bob Stoops when he checks his bank account.

Put away your tech ****. Just trying to help. It doesn't hurt me for you to use an inferior device.

You don't know if I'm single, Greg? Have I been wasting my time blathering on at you these past years? Pay tention!

hawaii 5-0
1/20/2012, 01:30 AM
A Linebacker that can shed blocks.

How novel !!

I think I like that idea.

5-0

kevpks
1/20/2012, 07:59 AM
I was lining my digital birdcage this morning with NewsOK articles and found this decent piece about linebacker candidates. Of that group, my vote is for Kish or Tademy.

With the news that Brent Venables is off to Clemson, Oklahoma will now embark on a search for his replacement. It will likely be a linebackers coach, but there's always the chance Bob Stoops could shuffle staff assignments to bring in someone for another position or area. If Stoops does opt to bring in a linebackers coach, here are a few potential candidates.

Tim Kish
Previous employer: University of Arizona
Previous position: Interim head coach (stint ended December 2011)
Why it's a fit: Couldn't be a better one for Mike Stoops, who worked with Kish at Arizona. He'll know the defensive philosophies and theories better than anyone else would. Has recruiting ties to the Southwest and particularly California, a recent go-to for OU. He's from Ohio, so he's also got that connection with the Stoopses.
Why it's not: Because it's too obvious? Maybe Kish is looking for something else, something different.

Jim Leavitt
Current employer: NFL's San Francisco 49ers
Current position: linebackers coach (first year)
Why it's a fit: Great defensive mind who even has head coaching experience, most recently at South Florida. In the OU “family,” since he worked with Bob Stoops and others at Kansas State.
Why it's not: He's purported to be smitten with the NFL, and his team is on the rise. Some, too, will be reminded of why he was fired at USF. He allegedly struck a player.

Randy Shannon
Previous employer: University of Miami
Previous position: head coach (fired December 2010)
Why it's a fit: Excellent recruiter and strong reputation as a position coach. Extremely well liked by those who have worked with him.
Why it's not: To go from a head coach to a linebackers coach is a precipitous fall, but, you know, he's going to have to take a job somewhere. Some questions about his baggage with the NCAA keep following him around. Also not part of the OU “family,” really.

Tony Tademy
Current employer: Texas Christian University
Current position: linebackers coach (seven years)
Why it's a fit: There's no way to quantify this, really, but he could be the best linebackers coach in the country. Could be looking to move, after an extended stay on Gary Patterson's staff. Recruits Houston, which is a hotbed for OU.
Why it's not: Perhaps he's happy at TCU, which is about to move into the Big 12. Could be waiting to become a coordinator with the Frogs.
Another guy who isn't part of the “family.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/ou-football-four-potential-candidates-to-replace-brent-venables/article/3641736#ixzz1k0Ert0oh

Soonerman08
1/20/2012, 09:00 AM
Given how subpar Arizona's LBs were, it is hard to get excited about Kish. I vote for R. Shannon, Levitt, or TCU's LB coach. Best possibility is R. Shannon.

delhalew
1/20/2012, 09:08 AM
If Shannon is getting blackballed, it's prolly a good time to get him to take a job as a position coach.

boomersooner28
1/20/2012, 09:12 AM
I am not sure if Randy Shannon can recruit or if he was getting talent at Miami because all of the impermissible benefits that were going on.

70sooner
1/20/2012, 10:06 AM
I say the TCU dude. Great Texas connections/solid recruiter.

northspeter
1/20/2012, 10:15 AM
I'll throw out a name, Iowa lb coach Darrell Wilson .. he's been their 9 yrs. and has been the special teams coach all 9yrs. as well...

Scott D
1/20/2012, 10:35 AM
I am not sure if Randy Shannon can recruit or if he was getting talent at Miami because all of the impermissible benefits that were going on.

Both Shannon and Shapiro have been on record as stating that Shannon did everything he could to keep Shapiro away from his team. He just wasn't getting backing from the Athletic Dept. and University in that regard due to Shapiro's money.

Scott D
1/20/2012, 10:35 AM
And really, do we need another guy who can recruit Texas?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/20/2012, 05:01 PM
Clemson now has No. 1 (Chad Morris) and No. 3 (Venables) compensated assistants in the country.

StoopTroup
1/20/2012, 06:29 PM
Put away your tech ****. Just trying to help. It doesn't hurt me for you to use an inferior device.

You don't know if I'm single, Greg? Have I been wasting my time blathering on at you these past years? Pay tention!

You could be a Post Op Tranny that wears longwhorn jerseys for all I know.....lol

northspeter
1/20/2012, 06:44 PM
blevins just tweeted that tyrone nix has been contacted...

ashley
1/20/2012, 08:23 PM
When you hire a DC, he gets to bring one of his guys with him.

sooneron
1/20/2012, 10:00 PM
Inferior device,pshaw! My wife's droid craps out regularly. Droid... bfd. And cry me a river that I can't see a podcast or whatever from ****ing 1400. meh. Any site that is halfway intelligent would know to put content up that is compatible with the best selling smart phone.

StoopTroup
1/20/2012, 10:14 PM
Hey Del...I just added another dead droid to the junk pile I know about about...lol

delhalew
1/21/2012, 08:44 AM
Two years of hard living on the road, knock wood, my phone is just fine. I had an IPhone for a week, no thanks.

OU_Sooners75
1/21/2012, 03:59 PM
Tim Kish...He was said to be at BJ's in Norman with Both Mike and Bob, and some other coaches (Gundy, Heupel, etc), as well as a couple of recruits just this afternoon.

That said, my short list (Not all will likely get a look though, no particular order):
Tim Kish
Ken Norton Jr
Tyrone Nix
Tademy (spelling?)
D.J Durkin
Randy Shannon

OU_Sooners75
1/21/2012, 04:05 PM
And

WTH ever....lol

Venables left because of a couple reasons, IMO:
1. More money
2. Time to move on knowing that he desperately wants to become a head coach. With Mike being back, if the defense does a lot better, then it will be looked at as Mike's doing, not Brent's....even if an unfair judgment. This would hurt his chances at landing a cush HC job somewhere.

If he is being honest in his interview for the article in the Saturday DOK, which I think he was, then he was not worried about who was calling plays or because Mike was back. He said in that article that he was wanting to bring Mike back to help fix the defense and that it didnt matter to him who called the plays.

BV left because he got an opportunity to get out from under Bob Stoops (not Mike) and show the CFB world he can coach without Bob.

And if he succeeds, he will have serious HC offers coming at him!

OU_Sooners75
1/21/2012, 04:11 PM
Given how subpar Arizona's LBs were, it is hard to get excited about Kish. I vote for R. Shannon, Levitt, or TCU's LB coach. Best possibility is R. Shannon.

Do you even have a clue as to what you are talking about?

Kish brought in some damn good LBs to Arizona....it isn't like they have 5 star recruits dying to attend UofA.

Its just like those Sooner Fans that are troubled with Mike Stoops being back and BV being gone....

People want to talk about Mike's job at UA as a head coach and say that if he was that good, they wouldn't have been so bad.

Well to that I say, Mike Stoops is the only coach in UA history to lead them to 3 consecutive Bowl games. He is also the best coach they have had since the limitations of scholarships took affect. Only two coaches comes to mind that was overall better for UA in their entire history....Tomey and McHale.

BoomerJ
1/21/2012, 05:43 PM
I would guess Kish would have the inside track with his familiarity with Mike and vice versa. Does Kish have any ST experience?

I've heard some say they thing the ex-coach at Ole Miss will get a look. Any others you guys think will be coming in for an interview?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/21/2012, 05:59 PM
Nix interviewing today...

SoonerMom2
1/21/2012, 06:06 PM
The post I saw mixed up Nix and Kish. It is being reported all over now meaning Twitter and several sites that it is Tyrone Nix and when you read his bio and take a look at the big guy -- looks like perfect fit for a linebacker coach. He fact, he could probably take on some of the linebackers and knock them back along with lineman. I hope they hire him -- he used to be the DC at South Carolina for Spurrier.

JiuJitsuSooner
1/21/2012, 06:17 PM
Check out the last sentence on his wikipedia pg! 

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrone_Nix

Tyrone Nix (born September 30, 1972 in Attalla, Alabama) is the former associate head coach and defensive coordinator for the Ole Miss Rebels. He is the former Defensive Coordinator for the South Carolina Gamecocks and Southern Miss Golden Eagles. He is the brother of Derrick Nix, a former Southern Miss star himself and former Southern Miss assistant coach as well as a former Atlanta Falcons assistant coach in the NFL. He has eleven fingers.

Wtf? Lol

kevpks
1/21/2012, 06:22 PM
He has eleven fingers.

Wtf? Lol

Ten fingers won't get it done in the SEC. I hear Saban has 12.

Fraggle145
1/21/2012, 08:57 PM
Can he coach special teams? It is becoming obvious to me that Stoops isnt very good at it.

StoopTroup
1/22/2012, 03:12 AM
Venables left because of a couple reasons, IMO:
1. More money
2. Time to move on knowing that he desperately wants to become a head coach. With Mike being back, if the defense does a lot better, then it will be looked at as Mike's doing, not Brent's....even if an unfair judgment. This would hurt his chances at landing a cush HC job somewhere.

If he is being honest in his interview for the article in the Saturday DOK, which I think he was, then he was not worried about who was calling plays or because Mike was back. He said in that article that he was wanting to bring Mike back to help fix the defense and that it didnt matter to him who called the plays.

BV left because he got an opportunity to get out from under Bob Stoops (not Mike) and show the CFB world he can coach without Bob.

And if he succeeds, he will have serious HC offers coming at him!

I've been saying that for around 3 weeks I think. I was really hoping he'd stay at OU this year so that Mike could get a feel for being back with OU and to really be an asset wherever they need him.

I've heard nothing but arguments that Brent was demoted and that Bob hired Mike to Demote Brent so they could do something about Brent's sorry *** Defense.

Again....since Brent is gone....it's all speculation now and we will never know exactly how it would have been....we will see exactly how it's gonna be with Mike in charge of the Defense now.

I wish Brent all the best.

I think Josh/Jay and Mike have around 3 years at the most to land a MNC at OU or we will be right back to calling for new Offensive and Defensive Coaching Staff. I hate to say that but that's what has happened now and Bob had a really great chance IMO to have a Defense that might have been one of Brent's best ever with Mike here. If Josh and Jay improved our consistency Rushing and Passing the Ball....I think our Defense would have been adequate at the very least and we would have landed #8 next year possibly and at least by the 2nd year Landry had moved on to the NFL. Now I think we are 3-4 years out again.

Hopefully they prove me wrong next year and again the next and again the next and by 2014-2015, Bob has more MNCs that Bud or Barry. :D

Soonerjeepman
1/22/2012, 10:23 AM
ok..I know when the head coach gets fired (Nutt) then usually all or most of the asst go as well...not sure how the lbers did with Nix...but does it bother anyone that the guys we are looking at all got fired? or are from fired staffs? just curious....obviously they got fired because they didn't win....just not sure how that correlates with us....Martinez was the same..

northspeter
1/22/2012, 10:45 AM
ok..I know when the head coach gets fired (Nutt) then usually all or most of the asst go as well...not sure how the lbers did with Nix...but does it bother anyone that the guys we are looking at all got fired? or are from fired staffs? just curious....obviously they got fired because they didn't win....just not sure how that correlates with us....Martinez was the same..

mike stoops was fired... we probably shouldnt have brought him back either...

StoopTroup
1/22/2012, 12:48 PM

I'm guessing you can make a case that it was an awful decision once you know the outcome of our Season and maybe even our future Seasons should we retain everyone. OU Fans seem to want someone fired every year they don't get a MNC. So If we don't get a MNC this next year....I hope we fire someone that hasn't been fired yet....lol

I think folks seem to be focusing on our Strength and Conditioning Coach right now.

I say he's next. :D

BoomerJ
1/22/2012, 02:25 PM
Very funny, Troup, because it's true. All the best for Brent. Happy to see Mike back.

Nix looks like an interesting pick for LB's. I've read he's a good recruiter, not a great one, but like Mike at AZ, it's not necessarily easy to get top recruits to come to Mississippi. However, I've read that he's a very good LB coach.

OU_Sooners75
1/22/2012, 04:56 PM

You do know why that tends to be the case, right?

If not, then I will try my best to explain it.

When a head coach gets fired (say at the end of a season), the remaining coaches are still there.
When the school finds a new head coach (say someone from the outside of the current or old staff) then that new coach wants to put his own staff together.

Sometimes, and it happens more than you would think, some of the position coaches are retained with the new head coach...but usually not the coordinators.

It is a way for newly hired Head Coaches to put their stamp on the program. Just the nature of the beast and the coaching profession understands that.

Coaches do not hold it against other coaches for being fired unless it is something like a Leach or Mangino firing.

goingoneight
1/22/2012, 08:38 PM
Looks like Ole Miss got lit up by a bunch of SEC offenses. :eek:

Soonerjeepman
1/22/2012, 10:43 PM

When a head coach gets fired (say at the end of a season), the remaining coaches are still there.
When the school finds a new head coach (say someone from the outside of the current or old staff) then that new coach wants to put his own staff together.

Sometimes, and it happens more than you would think, some of the position coaches are retained with the new head coach...but usually not the coordinators.

It is a way for newly hired Head Coaches to put their stamp on the program. Just the nature of the beast and the coaching profession understands that.

Coaches do not hold it against other coaches for being fired unless it is something like a Leach or Mangino firing.

I understand the new stamp thing and other HC has their loyalties to guys they've been with..

....and for the smartass answers..thanks...yeah Fire Mike! geeze...been watching OU football for 35+ yrs...just was making an observation it'd be interesting to see how the other big boys replace their coaches that leave for other jobs.....hence my "how did the lbers do with Nix as coach"...but like most....some of you choose to read and respond as you do...must have been bullied as a kid...

thanks for any realistic discussion...

Soonerjeepman
1/22/2012, 10:45 PM
I'm guessing you can make a case that it was an awful decision once you know the outcome of our Season and maybe even our future Seasons should we retain everyone. OU Fans seem to want someone fired every year they don't get a MNC. So If we don't get a MNC this next year....I hope we fire someone that hasn't been fired yet....lol

I think folks seem to be focusing on our Strength and Conditioning Coach right now.

I say he's next. :D

nice...feel better?

Fraggle145
1/22/2012, 11:00 PM
I think I'm just not excited about Kish because they have already worked together and I havent seen anything stellar out of Kish/Stoops at Arizona. Not saying they were bad, just not awesome. Some fresh blood in there would be a good thing. Shedding blocks, and special teams would be awesome.

StoopTroup
1/23/2012, 01:29 AM
nice...feel better?

Not really. I hate the off-season. I was hoping that this one might not be as big a pain in the *** as last year but as of today...I think it might be worse or it might get worse. I hope not but I guess we'll have to see how it goes.

StoopTroup
1/23/2012, 01:31 AM
I think I'm just not excited about Kish because they have already worked together and I havent seen anything stellar out of Kish/Stoops at Arizona. Not saying they were bad, just not awesome. Some fresh blood in there would be a good thing. Shedding blocks, and special teams would be awesome.

I brought Quiche to the tailgates a few times and it went over OK. Kish? Not sure how it will go. Might need more cheese and peppers.

northspeter
1/23/2012, 07:27 AM

You do know how sarcasm works, right? F it, I'm too lazy to explain....

Fraggle145
1/23/2012, 11:31 AM
I brought Quiche to the tailgates a few times and it went over OK. Kish? Not sure how it will go. Might need more cheese and peppers.

Quiche sucks. You are going to need a lot more peppers.

I think its just the combo of cheese and eggs. The cheese makes the eggs all soggy.

OULenexaman
1/23/2012, 11:58 AM
a dash of fetus works good....

PalmBeachSooner
1/24/2012, 01:41 PM
Now, what's the price we are willing to shell out for a replacement for BV? A million? 1/2 that?

Depends on how much Mary Kay Carol Stoops can sell between now and then.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/24/2012, 02:10 PM
Tim Kish hired...not a shocker

colleyvillesooner
1/24/2012, 02:26 PM
Glad that we replaced the recruiter part of BV. that was key.

Curly Bill
1/24/2012, 03:17 PM
Fire Tim Kish!!!

Fraggle145
1/24/2012, 03:23 PM
Can he coach special teams?

zeptrey
1/24/2012, 03:29 PM
Eh.....boring....

oumartin
1/24/2012, 05:00 PM
Can he coach special teams?

Have you not listened to Bob? We don't have special teams issues.

Fraggle145
1/24/2012, 05:02 PM
Have you not listened to Bob? We don't have special teams issues.

ST? is that you?

Scott D
1/24/2012, 10:02 PM
So does he add to the excess of people recruiting Texas or can he recruit somewhere else like California, etc?

BoomerJ
1/25/2012, 12:00 AM
Should have some strong connections in So. Cal.

UberSooner
1/25/2012, 01:48 PM
More big 10, came from Ohio, baggage. I hate being negative but can we not hire somebody that brings in some coaching diversity. Maybe the D.C. cut loose from Arizona is in fact the best hire available and maybe the fact that he's an Ohio native with big 10 ties had nothing to do with his hire by Mike but the odds of that are looooonggggg. Hope he works out.

rdusooner
1/25/2012, 01:56 PM
Hope he works out.

Me too, we need to lift weights like the SEC

BoomerJ
1/25/2012, 02:08 PM
As long as he teached those guys to shed blocks and tackle.

picasso
1/26/2012, 12:47 AM
Eh.....boring....
Shoulda hired Liberace. Now that's exciting!

Seamus
1/26/2012, 01:12 AM

Teached. Teached?

Neath a Western Sky
1/26/2012, 10:23 AM
Kish supposedly has a great track record personally recruiting California and Arizona, for the University of Arizona. If that's true, and he can build on our own pipeline from that region--farther away from those recruits, but a far more elite program--I am thrilled with the hire.

northspeter
1/26/2012, 11:03 AM
Soonerscoop has an article about Kish already making an impact.. had in home visit with a highly rated uncommitted receiver, I'm guessing from the left coast.. I think it's Devonte Neal an Arizona kid...

sooner KB
1/26/2012, 11:35 AM

I heard that he doesn't advocate either one of those things. I think we're doomed.

BoomerJ
1/26/2012, 01:34 PM
Teached. Teached?

Thanks. I like typing fast without proofreading.

BoomerJ
1/26/2012, 01:35 PM
I heard that he doesn't advocate either one of those things. I think we're doomed.
:excitement: