PDA

View Full Version : B Stoops and B Switzer have the same...

Dan Thompson
1/18/2012, 10:45 PM
number of 10 or more wins in a season. Each has has had 10 seasons where they have won 10 or more games.

PLaw
1/18/2012, 11:10 PM
Big Whoop - THE KING has three, count 'em three, National Championshipis.

Plus, the King did it with only a maximum of 12 games per year. Bob is getting 13 and 14. The new standard should be at least 11 wins.

BOOMER

stoopified
1/18/2012, 11:36 PM

Plus, the King did it with only a maximum of 12 games per year. Bob is getting 13 and 14. The new standard should be at least 11 wins.

BOOMEROn the other hand Bob is 44-18 vs. Top 25 competition,Barry was 43-21-4,Bud was 28-18-1

oudavid1
1/18/2012, 11:36 PM

BOOMER

Bingo! (even though you spelled it wrong)

sooneredaco
1/18/2012, 11:54 PM
The King also didn't have the same scholarship restrictions that Bob has. And he paid players and has admitted to doing so. Just sayin... Apples and Oranges as far as the times that they coached in

Therealsouthsider
1/19/2012, 12:08 AM
The King also didn't have the same scholarship restrictions that Bob has. And he paid players and has admitted to doing so. Just sayin... Apples and Oranges as far as the times that they coached in

.... show us all the quote where he admitted to paying players

ss

Dan Thompson
1/19/2012, 12:22 AM

BOOMER

Bob has 9 seasons with 11 wins or more, the king has 7 seasons with 11 wins or more.

Red
1/19/2012, 12:47 AM
Initials?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2012, 01:17 AM
Comparing coaching that far apart isn't fair to either of them.

XingTheRubicon
1/19/2012, 09:46 AM
Stoops couldn't carry Switzer's jock strap.

Switzer was 18-1 in games decided by 3 points or less...I'm not even sure Switzer was human.

EatLeadCommie
1/19/2012, 10:43 AM
Bob has 9 seasons with 11 wins or more, the king has 7 seasons with 11 wins or more.
I think what he is saying is that 11 wins these days is like 10 wins in those days, not that 11 wins = 11 wins. Personally, I think with the extra CCG that somewhere between 11 and 12 wins might be the more appropriate measurement, but of course it's not feasible to have 11.375 wins in a season.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/19/2012, 09:32 PM

ss

He has joked about paying qb's like JC Watts $100 to babysit his kids. I can't remember where I heard it, but it was his words.

Anyone remember where he said that?

sooneredaco
1/19/2012, 10:51 PM

ss

Ok, he didn't say " I payed player x", but he admitted to giving gifts and drinks etc... Which lets face it, there was probably a lot more than that going on. Let's not get into all that mess though.

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-12-11/sports/sp-117_1_barry-switzer

picasso
1/20/2012, 12:54 AM
Silly to compare the two eras. In Switz's day Michigan wasn't losing to McGeek State and k-state and oSu were major ****holes-oh wait.

stoopified
1/22/2012, 01:51 PM
Silly to compare the two eras. In Switz's day Michigan wasn't losing to McGeek State and k-state and oSu were major ****holes-oh wait.Very true.I hate it when people bash one Sooner Great in an effort to promote another.The way I look at it we have had FOUR great coaches in OUr history and all had strengths and weaknesss in their era.

SoonerOX
1/22/2012, 02:26 PM
Very true.I hate it when people bash one Sooner Great in an effort to promote another.The way I look at it we have had FOUR great coaches in OUr history and all had strengths and weaknesss in their era.

Agreed. These were two different eras in college football. People need to realize that there are coaches out there who NEVER win a national championship. At least Bobby has one.

PLaw
1/22/2012, 02:48 PM
Agreed. These were two different eras in college football. People need to realize that there are coaches out there who NEVER win a national championship. At least Bobby has one.

But, this is Oklahoma. Here, our skins are measured by National Championships.

The Maestro
1/23/2012, 09:25 AM
On the other hand Bob is 44-18 vs. Top 25 competition,Barry was 43-21-4,Bud was 28-18-1

So Bob, Bud and Barry all lost to decent teams from time to time.

Now compare there records against unranked teams. You will see the major difference.

Switzer only lost FIVE times to unranked teams. That includes Kansas in 1975 where they still won the national title, the lost to Stanford with some QB named Elway and Kansas in 1985 when 17 year old Troy Aikman filled in for Bradley or OU wins by 50. The major difference in the head-scratching losses to **** poor teams by Stoops. Switzer didn't have that issue.

OkieThunderLion
1/23/2012, 10:56 PM

BOOMER

Switzer was 2-3 in NCGs, Stoops 1-3 (against higher ranked opposition).

They are about a wash after carefully analyzing the numbers.

OkieThunderLion
1/23/2012, 10:58 PM
But, this is Oklahoma. Here, our skins are measured by National Championships.
Bud won 3 NCs, too.

Lost a bowl, still won the NC. Didn't play in a bowl, still won the NC.

Eh, really no seperation from Stoops. Sorry!

RedstickSooner
1/24/2012, 01:21 AM
On the other hand Bob is 44-18 vs. Top 25 competition,Barry was 43-21-4,Bud was 28-18-1

Which goes to show that if you look at the right statistic, you can make anyone awesometacular :)

I'm not saying Bob is bad, please don't construe what I said that way. I just don't think he's better than the King yet. In spite of them there figgers you pointed out.

Jacie
1/24/2012, 01:18 PM
Ok, he didn't say " I payed player x", but he admitted to giving gifts and drinks etc... Which lets face it, there was probably a lot more than that going on. Let's not get into all that mess though.

After further review, it appears you were the person who brought it up in the first place . . .

SoonerSpock
1/28/2012, 06:52 AM
So Bob, Bud and Barry all lost to decent teams from time to time.

Now compare there records against unranked teams. You will see the major difference.

Switzer only lost FIVE times to unranked teams. That includes Kansas in 1975 where they still won the national title, the lost to Stanford with some QB named Elway and Kansas in 1985 when 17 year old Troy Aikman filled in for Bradley or OU wins by 50. The major difference in the head-scratching losses to **** poor teams by Stoops. Switzer didn't have that issue.

Having been a season ticketholder for the last 5 years of the Wilkinson era and all of Barry and Bob's tenure in Norman the biggest difference in the two coaches is Barry's ability to get teams to consistently perform at close to their "A" than is Bob. Bob consistently has shocking losses to teams that should never beat him.

Of course, that could be the entitlement mentality of today's kids making the issue more difficult. But for some reason Nick Saban appears to not have the same problem. I suspect Barry would not as well provided he could keep them all out of jail.

101sooner
1/28/2012, 07:11 AM
Barry is my favorite coach of all times in any sport. That being said, he has admitted to paying players. I heard an interview with him on the radio where he admitted to paying Billy Sims $1500 to get him back at OU for his Senior year. His parents were having money problems and that's what it took to get their bills paid. He also openly talked about Scott Hill being a ticket broker for both OU and Texas players for the OU/Texas game. He was selling the players allotted tickets to oil field workers.

That doesn't change my opinion of him as a coach one bit, but he did indeed admit to these things.

101sooner
1/28/2012, 08:22 AM
Here's a link:

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl/1990_725283/switzer-admits-giving-sims-1-500-to-stay-at-ou.html

OKLAHOMA CITY - Barry Switzer admits giving star running back Billy Sims $1,500 to stay at the University of Oklahoma during Switzer's 16 years as head coach of the Sooners.

However, as he says several times in his autobiography, " Bootlegger's Boy", he never offered inducements to recruits to get them to come to Norman. He admits he broke rules to keep some players in school.

One of them was Sims, who came to Switzer in the spring of 1979 needing money to pay bills. The coach says he gave Sims $1,500.

"He did stay in school for his senior year, and he did get his Oklahoma University degree before he turned pro," Switzer writes. "I remember the joy on Billy's face with his cap and gown on and his diploma in his hand, hugging his wife and his relatives, and how really proud we all were of him at that moment.

"I didn't give Billy a dime to come here, but I gave him $1,500 to stay here, and it was the best investment I ever made."

sooneredaco
1/28/2012, 08:36 AM
Here's a link:

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl/1990_725283/switzer-admits-giving-sims-1-500-to-stay-at-ou.html

OKLAHOMA CITY - Barry Switzer admits giving star running back Billy Sims $1,500 to stay at the University of Oklahoma during Switzer's 16 years as head coach of the Sooners.

However, as he says several times in his autobiography, " Bootlegger's Boy", he never offered inducements to recruits to get them to come to Norman. He admits he broke rules to keep some players in school.

One of them was Sims, who came to Switzer in the spring of 1979 needing money to pay bills. The coach says he gave Sims $1,500.

"He did stay in school for his senior year, and he did get his Oklahoma University degree before he turned pro," Switzer writes. "I remember the joy on Billy's face with his cap and gown on and his diploma in his hand, hugging his wife and his relatives, and how really proud we all were of him at that moment.

"I didn't give Billy a dime to come here, but I gave him $1,500 to stay here, and it was the best investment I ever made."

I had a feeling I had seen or heard this somewhere just couldn't seem to find a link. With that said, I still think the King was one of the best there ever was.