PDA

View Full Version : An oldie but a goodie (book)

8timechamps
1/18/2012, 05:48 PM
Someone recently suggested that I read Kurt Vonnegut's novel Cat's Cradle, so I did. Wow....great book. I guess it was first published in the 60's, but it's a story that I can't believe hasn't been made into a movie by now (although there could be a B version out there somewhere). Somehow I'd missed this book...I must be living under a rock.

Jacie
1/18/2012, 07:57 PM
Someone recently suggested that I read Kurt Vonnegut's novel Cat's Cradle, so I did. Wow....great book. I guess it was first published in the 60's, but it's a story that I can't believe hasn't been made into a movie by now (although there could be a B version out there somewhere). Somehow I'd missed this book...I must be living under a rock.

Most go through Vonnegut in college. My personal favorite was Slaughterhouse Five, which was made into a movie.

He got a bad rap from sci-fi writers because he claimed he was not one. Given how shoddy the science was in his fiction I wondered what the fuss was about. Larry Niven made his opinion of Kurt known in the novel Inferno, a modern version of the classic by Dante.

SicEmBaylor
1/18/2012, 08:51 PM
Fiction will rot your brain.

picasso
1/18/2012, 09:42 PM
I liked Harry Chapin's version.

picasso
1/18/2012, 09:43 PM
As will politics.

SoonerAtKU
1/19/2012, 10:13 AM

So will everything else that's fun, including cigars, bourbon, women, gritty western TV shows, and watching Baylor football. =)

OULenexaman
1/19/2012, 01:55 PM
Whoever *did* write this doesn't know the first thing about Kurt Vonnegut!

... and *another* thing, Vonnegut! I'm gonna stop payment on the cheque!

**** me? Hey, Kurt, can you read lips, ***** you*! Next time I'll call Robert Ludlum!

Viking Kitten
1/19/2012, 02:41 PM
Whoever *did* write this doesn't know the first thing about Kurt Vonnegut!

... and *another* thing, Vonnegut! I'm gonna stop payment on the cheque!

**** me? Hey, Kurt, can you read lips, ***** you*! Next time I'll call Robert Ludlum!

Rodney Dangerfield spek coming your way.

8timechamps
1/19/2012, 06:09 PM
Most go through Vonnegut in college. My personal favorite was Slaughterhouse Five, which was made into a movie.

He got a bad rap from sci-fi writers because he claimed he was not one. Given how shoddy the science was in his fiction I wondered what the fuss was about. Larry Niven made his opinion of Kurt known in the novel Inferno, a modern version of the classic by Dante.

Slaughterhouse Five was the other recommendation. I'm giving fiction a break, but once I finish my current book I'm going to check that one out.

Kinda funny to think he didn't view himself as a sci-fi writer.

SicEmBaylor
1/19/2012, 06:25 PM
Fiction begins and ends with The Great Gatsby.

delhalew
1/19/2012, 10:23 PM
"And even if the wars didn't keep coming like glaciers, there would still be plain old death."

"They crawled into a forest like the big, unlucky mammals they were."

"Everything is all right, and everybody has to do exactly what he does."

Those are my favorite quotes from Slaughterhouse 5. Unfortunately, my memory of Cat's Cradle is not so good that I could pull a quote.

8timechamps
1/20/2012, 03:33 PM
"And even if the wars didn't keep coming like glaciers, there would still be plain old death."

"They crawled into a forest like the big, unlucky mammals they were."

"Everything is all right, and everybody has to do exactly what he does."

Those are my favorite quotes from Slaughterhouse 5. Unfortunately, my memory of Cat's Cradle is not so good that I could pull a quote.

Couple of good ones:

"Don’t be afraid of straining your brains. They won’t break."

"History! Read it and weep!"

delhalew
1/20/2012, 04:24 PM
Couple of good ones:

"Don’t be afraid of straining your brains. They won’t break."

"History! Read it and weep!"

Heh. So it goes.