PDA

View Full Version : Brent Venables: Cross him off K-State's List

StoopTroup
1/18/2012, 01:54 PM
Venables Watch: cross K-State off the list
Posted by Ben Kercheval on January 18, 2012, 1:38 PM EST
http://nbccollegefootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/brent-venables.jpg?w=250 Oklahoma defensive coordinator Brent Venables was reportedly supposed to make a decision (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/14/report-venables-to-clemson-rumors-heat-up-decision-coming-soon/)regarding his coaching future by the end of the weekend.
Well, it’s Wednesday, and as far as what’s been reported, no decision has been made.
Venables, as you’ll recall, was a bystander of sorts with the defensive staff changes (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/13/oklahoma-staff-shake-ups-reportedly-on-the-horizon/) that have occurred at Oklahoma over the past week. Former Arizona coach Mike Stoops has rejoined the Sooners staff — defensive backs coach Willie Martinez is out — giving him and Venables the co-defensive coordinator titles which they both held about a decade ago before Stoops left for Tucson.
According to OU coach Bob Stoops, Venables has numerous offers for other coaching opportunities. The one Venables has been connected to the most is the open DC job with Clemson after it was announced that Kevin Steele would not be returning to the Tigers.
There’s also thought that Venables could return to his alma mater, Kansas State, for a coach-in-waiting type deal (http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/58428/brent-venables-time-at-k-state-is-now)with the news that Wildcats DC Chris Cosh could be heading to South Florida (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/17/usf-looking-to-k-state-for-new-dc/) – although I think it’s fair to say the CIW fad is pretty much done.
However, Dave Sittler of the Tulsa World reports that Venables is “absolutely not interested (https://twitter.com/#%21/DaveSittler/status/159684405764435969)” in returning to K-State. Venables has also turned down an offer from West Virginia to replace Jeff Casteel, and the Mountaineers are now slowly but surely putting that defensive staff together.
It appears based on what’s being reported that Venables is deciding between staying at OU and leaving for Clemson, although there hasn’t reportedly been any official offer (https://twitter.com/#%21/travis_sawchik/status/159702659396411393) from the Tigers. In either scenario, the ball is in Venables’ court. (http://www.postandcourier.com/blogs/tiger_tracks/?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&UID=4fdbc1ae-e167-4fbb-9d5c-769623bede1b&plckPostId=Blog%3a4fdbc1ae-e167-4fbb-9d5c-769623bede1bPost%3a3edf052b-0865-4118-b1c5-3c7e15525ecd&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest)

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/18/venables-watch-cross-k-state-off-the-list/

StoopTroup
1/18/2012, 02:06 PM
Sittler feels so strong about it he's Tweeted again...

http://twitter.com/#!/davesittler

StoopTroup
1/18/2012, 02:08 PM
Dean Blevin's disagreeing with Sittler over BV to Clemson

Can't disagree w Sittler's #Clemson (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Clemson) people telling him Venables prolly headed their way. But my local sources say tonight: "still undecided"

http://twitter.com/#!/DeanBlevins

StoopTroup
1/18/2012, 02:08 PM
The rumors continue....

badger
1/18/2012, 02:12 PM
Well... too bad. I think he would have been a good "coach in waiting" candidate for his alma mater. Remember that Bob Stoops once recruited him to be a linebacker at Kansas State... and then Brent grad assistant and assistant coach at KSU, also.

At the same time... I think Old Man Snyder* is thinking nepotism at this point for his heir apparent.

*Not nearly as old as Old Man Weeden.

StoopTroup
1/18/2012, 02:15 PM
I agree Badger. They seem to really like Brent up there. I'm guessing he won't leave without a guarantee that he'll be Snyder's Replacement. Of course that's just a guess.

badger
1/18/2012, 02:21 PM
I agree Badger. They seem to really like Brent up there. I'm guessing he won't leave without a guarantee that he'll be Snyder's Replacement. Of course that's just a guess.

Alas, that's probably an agreement that could never be made official and thus, would be unenforceable.

From 2010:

At its convention in Atlanta last month, the NCAA passed to little fanfare a new bylaw that treats a head-coach-in-waiting like an actual head coach in terms of recruiting contact. A head coach is allowed only a single visit per recruit and cannot leave campus during the the critical spring evaluation period from April 15-May 31. Same now for a head-coach-designate.

That would severely hamper his ability to recruit... if it were official that he were coach-in-waiting. Since KSU is a public institution, such an agreement, if official, would be subject to open record. If it were to be discovered later that he was coach-in-waiting and was out recruiting despite that, NCAA would probably howl about it.

And worse still, if, for example, Brent were to think that he was KSU's head coach and they name someone else or outright fire him for whatever reason before he became head coach, what legal recourse does he have if it were never official?

sooner_born_1960
1/18/2012, 02:24 PM
He would have his contract to base any legal action on.

sooner_born_1960
1/18/2012, 02:25 PM
But enough of that talk. No serious program will be using the CIW concept any time soon.

StoopTroup
1/18/2012, 02:53 PM
Alas, that's probably an agreement that could never be made official and thus, would be unenforceable.

From 2010:

That would severely hamper his ability to recruit... if it were official that he were coach-in-waiting. Since KSU is a public institution, such an agreement, if official, would be subject to open record. If it were to be discovered later that he was coach-in-waiting and was out recruiting despite that, NCAA would probably howl about it.

And worse still, if, for example, Brent were to think that he was KSU's head coach and they name someone else or outright fire him for whatever reason before he became head coach, what legal recourse does he have if it were never official?

Good point. So basically the Media reporting that he would go there to be Snyder's replacement is again....bad journalism as it's against NCAA Rules or at the very least a pretty hard way to get yourself the Coach you want went you aren't ready to replace the Current Coach.

You have to love the NCAA's attention to details like this but seemingly lackadaisical approach to Conference Jumping by all these Schools.

badger
1/18/2012, 03:38 PM
NCAA: You gave that recruit ice cubes and drinking water!!!!!!

Texas A&M: Well, time to make more money.

Mizzou: Me too! Eff student athletes and the travel times that an SEC East schedule will involve.

NCAA: Have fun guys... DID THAT SCHOOL'S COACH JUST SEND A TWEET TO A POP WARNER PLAYER? THAT EIGHT YEAR OLD IS A POTENTIAL STUDENT ATHLETE!!!!!!!!

stoopified
1/18/2012, 04:02 PM
Hmph

Soonerjeepman
1/18/2012, 04:17 PM
I think there is still some bad blood from the whole Mike/Brent coming to OU "keeping ksu out of the national title game"...poppy ****...so is what I here...which I think is total retard...if the guy is a good coach, he's a good coach...get over that already...

StoopTroup
1/18/2012, 04:30 PM
I think there is still some bad blood from the whole Mike/Brent coming to OU "keeping ksu out of the national title game"...poppy ****...so is what I here...which I think is total retard...if the guy is a good coach, he's a good coach...get over that already...

That's a good point. As good a Coach as Snyder is....Bob did raid his Coaching Staff....

badger
1/18/2012, 04:34 PM
That's a good point. As good a Coach as Snyder is....Bob did raid his Coaching Staff....

Also, as good of a coach Snyder is... he did make Bob Stoops a co-defenisve coordinator instead of sole coordinator once upon a time. :)

TUSooner
1/18/2012, 04:44 PM
I am second to none (or very few) when it comes to my ignorance of what OUr coaches are really like and what goes on in the thin-air altitudes of CFB coaching. But whatever! I get the impression that BV has already risen farther than his abilities dictate and that he is... well, afraid... to go out on his own to be the head coach somewhere. I've been hearing for years how desirable a candidate he is, and yet... here he is still at OU, presiding over a mediocre or underachieving defense. I'll go on record as saying that BV will never be HC at any FBS (D-1) university.

LVSOONER15
1/18/2012, 05:09 PM
My gut feeling is that he is staying.

3rdgensooner
1/18/2012, 05:27 PM
So, everything is still conjecture and hearsay.

Noted.

StoopTroup
1/18/2012, 05:31 PM
I'll go on record as saying that BV will never be HC at any FBS (D-1) university.

Seems to be a whole lot of folks with that attitude but most of them seem to be OU Fans.

It's easy for me to just think that nobody is going to hire a Defensive Coach for a HC at a Div IA School too but OU hired Stoops. I think it's just a bit of bad luck that OU has gone through and that Brent has been at OU for so long that it reflects a bit on him. I think he'd be just fine at Clemson but I don't know if Dabo Swinney is good enough to put my career at risk.

I think the reason Brent hasn't been pursued is that he is was relatively young to be considered any earlier than now and the long time he's had at OU.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he's a HC somewhere by the time he's 50.

Brent is 10 years younger than Bob and it's right about now is when things started to change for Bob.

Matter of fact....I think it's pretty well documented that folks said the same thing about Bob that you are saying about Brent in 1987 or 88. Funny how you can end up that wrong about a guy.

TUSooner
1/18/2012, 05:49 PM
Seems to be a whole lot of folks with that attitude but most of them seem to be OU Fans.

It's easy for me to just think that nobody is going to hire a Defensive Coach for a HC at a Div IA School too but OU hired Stoops. I think it's just a bit of bad luck that OU has gone through and that Brent has been at OU for so long that it reflects a bit on him. I think he'd be just fine at Clemson but I don't know if Dabo Swinney is good enough to put my career at risk.

I think the reason Brent hasn't been pursued is that he is was relatively young to be considered any earlier than now and the long time he's had at OU.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he's a HC somewhere by the time he's 50.

Brent is 10 years younger than Bob and it's right about now is when things started to change for Bob.

Matter of fact....I think it's pretty well documented that folks said the same thing about Bob that you are saying about Brent in 1987 or 88. Funny how you can end up that wrong about a guy.

Recall my disclaimer! :biggrin:
I hope I am wrong for BV's sake. I am not in the"Fire BV!!!" camp, but I would not be upset if he moved on.

Wishboned
1/18/2012, 05:57 PM
My friend from ESPN just sent me a text. Venables is gone. He's Clemson bound.

StoopTroup
1/18/2012, 06:22 PM
And your Friend is wrong....LMAO

badger
1/18/2012, 06:24 PM
PLEASE END THE MADNESS, OU COACHES!

1- Call a press conference IMMEDIATELY with Bob Stoops and Brent Venables. Mike Stoops also if you want.

2- Announce IMMEDIATELY AND WITHOUT QUESTION your intentions of where you are coaching next season.

3- Deny EVERY rumor, EVERY possible destination, or ANYTHING involving coaching ANYWHERE except OU.

Signing day is less than two weeks away. The longer sh!t like this is rumored, the more it hurts OU.

Either stay or go. Decide RIGHT NOW and make it OFFICIAL.

StoopTroup
1/18/2012, 06:26 PM
Also please state that Brent will be Mike's Bitch. Some folks are really concerned as they want to know who to blame next year....they have zero faith in you....

colleyvillesooner
1/18/2012, 06:42 PM
I want to make a list of all the "Mike leaving was the problem, bring him back!" people.

Then, when a Mike lead D sucks, they don't get to say SH!T! And get permabaned.

Wishboned
1/18/2012, 06:44 PM
And your Friend is wrong....LMAO

I don't see anything that says she was wrong.

SoonerMom2
1/18/2012, 06:46 PM
Board of Regents at Clemson has to approve the contract and waiting for background check according to Sittler.

StoopTroup
1/18/2012, 06:52 PM
http://www.electronicsweekly.com/blogs/engineering-design-problems/doormat-anim.gif

TUSooner
1/18/2012, 06:56 PM
What benefit does ANYONE get by breaking a story like this before it's confirmed? At this point, people are guessing hysterically. But even if somebody gets it right (by pure chance most likely) what difference does that really make? Is it really all that important to be the first to know or the first to tell?! Is there a Las Vegas book on it?

Folks, this some incredibly childish nonsense we're dealing with. Why not wait until it's confirmed and then talk about it. Better still, wait until its confirmed and then don't talk about it, because most of the talk will be irrelvant nonsense anyway.

sheesh

StoopTroup
1/18/2012, 07:04 PM
What benefit does ANYONE get by breaking a story like this before it's confirmed? At this point, people are guessing hysterically. But even if somebody gets it right (by pure chance most likely) what difference does that really make? Is it really all that important to be the first to know or the first to tell?! Is there a Las Vegas book on it?

Folks, this some incredibly childish nonsense we're dealing with. Why not wait until it's confirmed and then talk about it. Better still, wait until its confirmed and then don't talk about it, because most of the talk will be irrelvant nonsense anyway.

sheesh

One of the best Off-Seasons we've had in awhile. The last ones seemed to have led to talking about chili recipes and whether or not you've taken down your Christmas lights.

LASooner
1/18/2012, 08:05 PM
Sometimes it's better to stay with The Beatles than go pursue your own thing in Wings.

goingoneight
1/18/2012, 08:23 PM
My gut feel is that he's staying here. But I think it's hilarious now how many people said no one wants him when clearly D-1 programs smell blood on the water right now and are going after him. It's like when he interviewed and/or told certain programs "NO" in the past, it's just ignored.

Guys like Calmus, Marshall, Lehman, Lofton have all credited BV for their success. I really think there's something to BJW, BV and MS all working together. I don't know that it'll work with missing links again. Recruiting is the lifeblood of your program and we need either BV or a guy like him to sell the talent on OU and produce at LB if he leaves. I still think the reason this decision is difficult for Brent is everyone knows ole Dabo may not be there forever and there's definite job security here. Clemson is just one of those teams every year that is just hard to take seriously. I mean, does anyone really expect them to win an MNC in the next ten years? Good seasons? Yeah. Long-term dominance as OU's had? They're clearly not the same job. Though, it does pay sometimes to shop around if home base wants to keep you on hand.