PDA

View Full Version : What does 2012 look like right now?

goingoneight
1/17/2012, 07:59 PM
Feel free to update your opinions as news develops (signing day surprises, injuries, coaching news, etc.).

I don't think Mike Stoops is going to wave a magic wand and make us magically shut down opposing offenses we've struggled with in recent years. As much as I defend BV, I am one who noticed the immediate difference between the fundamentals of the 2000-2003 defenses and the 2004 and beyond defenses. I'd like more than anything to see us become a great fundamental football team again, at least defensively with what is perceived to be the end-all cure-all band-aid for OU.

Another reason I'm not sure if we're in for a rough year or not is the talent our staff is left to work with. Yeah, yeah... we've got a bunch of "star" guys as far as recruiting services are concerned... but if that was the end-all answer to success, Mark Clayton, Sam Bradford, Dominique Whaley, etc. would have never performed at such a high level. It's kind of like a report card. Just because your son has straight A's doesn't mean he's not a dumbass. We had reason to believe OUr headliner guys last year could help absorb the losses to graduation from 2010 to 2011. Ronnell was coming on strong to close out 2010, and looked like the next Jeremy Beal if not better. All Frank needed to do was stay healthy.

Now, we have a couple good, but not spectacular yet-- LBs, a couple good guys for Mike to work with in the secondary. Nothing is proven up front other than we have a little experience to lean on in the middle.

Maybe a little Sooner magic will give us an immediate boost, defensively. Here's hoping.

Offensively... ugh. We have Landry Jones and a bunch of either injured, inexperienced or inconsistent guys to go along with a questionable scheme. I thought to begin the year that Heupel and Norvell were doing great. Personnel does wonders for playcallers. But as the going got tough (injuries to key playmakers began to pile up), I found myself asking what the hell we were doing scheme-wise in some of those games. We need either a healthy Whaley back or a lot more dominant player to step up somewhere. We need TEs and WRs to command attention or the season is going to rest on Landry Jones bailing us out. He does very well most of the time, but we all know how putting a season on his shoulders is a tough thing to expect him to do.

I think we could either be a surprise MNC contender, or another three, maybe four loss team right now. Obviously winter conditioning hasn't even finished yet; so I'm asking what fans think about how things look right now on paper, so to say. Anywho... discuss.

StoopTroup
1/17/2012, 08:21 PM
We haven't even finished recruiting. We don't know if we need another Coach or not on Defense and you want to talk about us having kids that don't make football straight A's that are dumbasses and then say we might be a surprise MNC Contender or maybe another 10-3 Team?

I think I'd rather wait until the Venables Drama is over, know a bit more about who is on our roster, What our Schedule looks like and then maybe even see what we have going on at the Red/ White Game before really breaking things down.

goingoneight
1/17/2012, 10:37 PM
Dude... one... the report card analogy is in reference to recruiting rankings. Ummm... derp.

Secondly, re-read the post. Everything is subject to change leading all the way up to opening day. I was just wondering what folks think about what we have in the cupboard so far.

StoopTroup
1/17/2012, 10:39 PM
OK....I'll give it a go....

kevpks
1/17/2012, 11:12 PM
At this time next year we'll be basking in the glory of our 44-6 defeat of USC for our 8th national title and talking about the chances of repeating in 2013.

LASooner
1/18/2012, 01:49 AM
It looks like 2011 with a 2 at the end instead of a 1

IBleedCrimson
1/18/2012, 01:59 AM
At this time next year we'll be basking in the glory of our 44-6 defeat of USC for our 8th national title and talking about the chances of repeating in 2013.

SUNSHINE PUMPER>!>! How in the hell are we going to contend with LANDRY FREAKING JONES? How about DOM FREAKING WHALEY? Don't you realize we can't win with a senior starting QB and a walkon RB who broke most of AD's practice stats? What about "returning a veteran OL" don't you understand? And unless Mike Stoops is the 2nd coming of the Tebow, our DL will BLOW! LB corps?... Decimated! Do you think replacing a jogging TL with Corey Nelson will even be serviceable? While on the topic of LBs, name ONE successful person Mikey has coached here at OU... don't worry, I'll wait! And that secondary? How does returning a bunch of juniors and sophomores help us?

Get a grip, sunshine pumper.

agoo758
1/18/2012, 11:30 AM
Cons:

Our only star receiver is gone. Our QB has yet to prove to be a big time play maker. Inconsistent offensive line. No stars on defense.

Pros:

Proven young running back. Superstar fullback. Effective package for our back up QB. Arrival of an elite DC. (Knock on wood!)

What we need to do this year:

Keep in on the ground. Line up as many big guys as you can and pound the rock. Take the maximum time on offense to limit the number of plays our d is on the field.

On defense, send as many guys as you can to the QB. No need to worry about the big play. We gave up enough of those this year rushing three and dropping back nine.

BetterSoonerThanLater
1/18/2012, 11:38 AM
..partly cloudy and cold. may get rain this weekend, but i'm not a real prognosticator so i could be wrong

LVSOONER15
1/18/2012, 11:58 AM
Way too early. I'll give my input after the 3rd game.

MI Sooner
1/18/2012, 12:12 PM
Even numbered year = Big XII champions
Year divisible by 4 = NCG appearance

Mississippi Sooner
1/18/2012, 12:26 PM
Cons:

Our only star receiver is gone. Our QB has yet to prove to be a big time play maker. Inconsistent offensive line. No stars on defense.

Pros:

Proven young running back. Superstar fullback. Effective package for our back up QB. Arrival of an elite DC. (Knock on wood!)

What we need to do this year:

Keep in on the ground. Line up as many big guys as you can and pound the rock. Take the maximum time on offense to limit the number of plays our d is on the field.

On defense, send as many guys as you can to the QB. No need to worry about the big play. We gave up enough of those this year rushing three and dropping back nine.

No wonder we had so many penalties!

rock on sooner
1/18/2012, 12:40 PM
No wonder we had so many penalties!

LMAO!

SoonerTerry
1/18/2012, 01:03 PM
I know you cant see it... but I'm pounding my head on my desk... right...now

kevpks
1/18/2012, 01:06 PM

SUNSHINE PUMPER>!>! How in the hell are we going to contend with LANDRY FREAKING JONES? How about DOM FREAKING WHALEY? Don't you realize we can't win with a senior starting QB and a walkon RB who broke most of AD's practice stats? What about "returning a veteran OL" don't you understand? And unless Mike Stoops is the 2nd coming of the Tebow, our DL will BLOW! LB corps?... Decimated! Do you think replacing a jogging TL with Corey Nelson will even be serviceable? While on the topic of LBs, name ONE successful person Mikey has coached here at OU... don't worry, I'll wait! And that secondary? How does returning a bunch of juniors and sophomores help us?

I think you're the one who needs to get a grip cap locks man. Obviously, (to most people at least) it was a bit tongue and cheek, but I think OU is in the mix with 8-10 teams who have a shot at the title because Landry is back and because the young guys got valuable game experience.

BoomerJ
1/18/2012, 02:16 PM

Hey, what's the opposite of sunshine pumping?

BTW, does anyone have any new info on Peterson or Alandenoye wanting to come back or Stoops allowing them to come back?

Sooner91ATL
1/18/2012, 03:09 PM
Gloom, despair, and agony on me. Deep dark depression, excessive misery.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ5ob9B9yD4

stoopified
1/18/2012, 05:37 PM
What I know is Bob is OUr coach and he and his staff are in control.No worries.

oudavid1
1/18/2012, 11:38 PM
We lose 1 or 2 games.

En_Fuego
1/19/2012, 12:48 AM
ATTENTION........ BEEP......... BEEP

As of 10:30 CST

The outlook on the Oklahoma Sooners 2012 season just got much brighter.

That is all.

SoonerNate
1/19/2012, 12:54 AM
ATTENTION........ BEEP......... BEEP

As of 10:30 CST

The outlook on the Oklahoma Sooners 2012 season just got much brighter.

That is all.

Yep. Schlep is gone.