PDA

View Full Version : Iran threatens closing the Strait of Hormuz...

ouwasp
1/16/2012, 09:25 PM
You know, they like to huff and puff. But I heard a talking head say "Iran could close the strait once, and temporarily... and never be able to close it again. Because their navy would cease to exist." Plus, any closure of the strait would hurt the Iranian economy very badly.

So why does this get air time? The Iranians aren't dumb enough to actually provoke the US into action. They just like to poke the stick, agitate, be noticed.

Wish the IDF would "notice" those sorry pieces of Shiite. Or are they Sunni?

Sooner5030
1/16/2012, 10:59 PM
You know, they like to huff and puff. But I heard a talking head say "Iran could close the strait once, and temporarily... and never be able to close it again. Because their navy would cease to exist." Plus, any closure of the strait would hurt the Iranian economy very badly.

So why does this get air time? The Iranians aren't dumb enough to actually provoke the US into action. They just like to poke the stick, agitate, be noticed.

Wish the IDF would "notice" those sorry pieces of Shiite. Or are they Sunni?

I don't understand why they make the threat. It's one thing to antagonize the US.....it's a totally different situation when you indirectly threaten the rest of the world when you close the straight. China would be pissed....along with Bahrain, Saudi, UAE and then what about all those that are supplied with that oil. Plus how would Iran import all those refined products they need......I'm assuming their ports would be blockaded.

Midtowner
1/16/2012, 11:01 PM
Empty threats. Iran could definitely close the strait of Hormuz...once...and then its navy would cease to exist.

KantoSooner
1/17/2012, 10:05 AM
We care only indirectly. the US gets almost no oil from the gulf. I would be tempted to see what the Europeans, Chinese and Japanese might want done.