PDA

View Full Version : Say your school has been penalized through scholarship reduction . . .

Jacie
1/16/2012, 01:32 PM
. . . can you get more to give out by releasing current players from their scholarships? Is the penalty worded such that it says you have this many to give out or does it say the number you can give out is reduced by this many? It is a fine distinction but if it is the latter then a coach can increase the number of available scholarships by releasing current players from theirs.

So in the case of tOSU, which is it?

Clarke, Gambrell released by Ohio State

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP)—New Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer has dismissed two players for off-the-field problems.

Ohio State spokesman Jerry Emig confirmed Sunday that defensive backs Dominic Clarke and DerJuan Gambrell have been released from their scholarships.

Clarke, a redshirt sophomore from Frederick, Md., has been charged with drunken driving and also had been arrested on a charge of disorderly conduct after allegedly discharging a BB gun on campus. No one was hurt in the latter incident.

Gambrell, a freshman from Toledo, was also discharged for a “violation of team rules,” but Ohio State did not specify what that violation was.

badger
1/16/2012, 01:44 PM
Here's what tOSU's scholly penalty was:

Reduction of football scholarships from 85 to 82 over each of the next three seasons. Total scholarship reduction of nine.

I don't know if that answers your question or not, but in a nutshell, they can't have any more than 82 on scholarship the next several years. Also, the Big Ten has strict scholly limits, so don't expect an SEC-sized signing class under Urbie.

BoulderSooner79
1/16/2012, 02:37 PM
I had that same thought regarding USC. They have a severe reduction down to 15 per year for the next 3 years. But is that 15 new signings or that #new signings - #non-renewed = 15? Either way, they are going to have depth problems, but it would make a huge difference on the quality of the 2 deep. I could see huge temptation on Kiffin's part to do some culling.