PDA

View Full Version : David Smith

StoopTroup
1/15/2012, 05:54 PM
Norman Transcript...

In for a visit OU coach Bob Stoops and running backs coach Cale Gundy were both at OU’s basketball game against Kansas State on Saturday. They were guiding running back David Smith around campus on his official visit.
Smith, a running back Midlothian, Ill., is a three-star recruit according to Rivals.com. He is contemplating offers from OU and West Virginia. He was the only recruit on hand for the Sooner basketball game. Most of the staff was out recruiting this weekend.

http://normantranscript.com/sports/x1467875275/Is-Brent-Venables-checking-out-job-prospects

Good looking kid...The last play in this is awesome....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmTlTlfaNB0

picasso
1/15/2012, 09:24 PM
Nice speed, good vision. Doesn't look 6'1" though.

StoopTroup
1/15/2012, 09:43 PM
Nice speed, good vision. Doesn't look 6'1" though.

Yeah....if he's 6'1'' in that video he looks like he's maybe 225....lol

setem
1/16/2012, 10:03 AM
He looks to be every bit of 6'1 if you ask me!

dwarthog
1/16/2012, 10:40 AM
The guy is either a bit bigger than stated or those were highlights from a Pop Warner football game.

Boomer.....
1/17/2012, 03:44 PM
Committed!

http://oklahoma.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=9&c=8&toinid=667&yr=2012

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/17/2012, 03:54 PM
Here's the Scout profile:
http://oklahoma.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=8&c=1&nid=5435548

BoomerJ
1/17/2012, 04:46 PM
Welcome, David Smith. I like his size and can't wait to see him after a couple years in the program. OU has been looking at a couple of other RB's that also have good size and speed, one of them juco. With Brooks, Ross, and now Smith, I don't think we need any others.

StoopTroup
1/17/2012, 05:25 PM
I see Alex Ross is on the list of commits. Says his 40 time is 4.5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc9y-qq8sCA

I'd like to know what David's 40 time is. It doesn't appear on his profile.

Jacie
1/17/2012, 05:26 PM
The defense had to feel pretty good whenever he didn't score on a play . . .

northspeter
1/17/2012, 06:40 PM
Smith's 40 is in the 4.5 range as well... And Brooks is more likely a db or slot receiver, also we are still recruiting Akeel Lynch rb and NY state player of the year...

StoopTroup
1/17/2012, 06:43 PM
Good to see some horses in the stable again. That seems to be when we really see our Offense work as lots of guys competing for PT seems to always help our running game.

8timechamps
1/17/2012, 06:45 PM
He's a good sized back (maybe a little light, but he can bulk up). I love "3 star" guys, because they usually end up being the best recruits.

NOTE: I added David smith to the list of 2012 commitments, I'm going to try and get bios up for all the recruits over the next week.

8timechamps
1/17/2012, 06:46 PM
I'd like to know what David's 40 time is. It doesn't appear on his profile.

ESPNU testing results say it's 4.60.

StoopTroup
1/17/2012, 09:35 PM
ESPNU testing results say it's 4.60.

Thanks. I was hoping to hear something a bit better. He looks pretty quick in the video but you never know if someone sped up the plays.

Compare this video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quP3n5xV8SI

To this video....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1fzCKKEKbU

picasso
1/17/2012, 09:53 PM
He looks to be every bit of 6'1 if you ask me!
Really? Then most of the kids in the video are 6'3" or bigger. Go back and look at AD's high school videos. He was a legit 6'1" and was normally taller than everyone else.

StoopTroup
1/17/2012, 10:41 PM
Adrian is actually almost 6'5'' in a party hat. :D ;)

http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/images/11/2012/01/1749602588c0b8d7e74d505b32f6187c.jpg

BoomerJ
1/18/2012, 02:27 PM
Lynch has been reported as saying the OU is looking to take one more RB. He's visiting Penn State this weekend. Then he'll decide to visit OU or Ole Miss or both with one week left. I think Grice (juco) and maybe one other RB will be visiting in the next two weekends.

8timechamps
1/18/2012, 05:25 PM
Lynch has been reported as saying the OU is looking to take one more RB. He's visiting Penn State this weekend. Then he'll decide to visit OU or Ole Miss or both with one week left. I think Grice (juco) and maybe one other RB will be visiting in the next two weekends.

The highest ranking RB still on the Sooners target is Damien Williams (the one-time ASU commit). He's a JUCO back, but a power guy. He's 6'0" 210 lbs of muscle.

SoonerofAlabama
1/18/2012, 07:11 PM
You were right about that last play. Amazing.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/19/2012, 06:20 PM
He's a good sized back (maybe a little light, but he can bulk up). I love "3 star" guys, because they usually end up being the best recruits.

Like... Adrian Peterson, Demarco Murray, Chris Brown, Roy Finch, Brennan Clay, Trey Millard... ;)

8timechamps
1/20/2012, 03:10 PM
Like... Adrian Peterson, Demarco Murray, Chris Brown, Roy Finch, Brennan Clay, Trey Millard... ;)

Okay, so once in a while the recruiting services get it right, but there is probably a huge list of 3 star guys that proved them wrong. Sam Bradford to top the list.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/20/2012, 08:06 PM
Okay, so once in a while the recruiting services get it right, but there is probably a huge list of 3 star guys that proved them wrong. Sam Bradford to top the list.

Not really if you understand the "star ratings" as a guideline. This is how they were explained to me by a recruitnik: 2 stars is outside shot at some PT in his 4 years, 3 is should definitely see playing time in his 4 years, maybe start junior/senior, 4 is should contribute immediately and start after a redshirt or freshman year, 5 is can't miss. Lots of programs are full of 3 star guys. So it shouldn't be a surprise that a 3-star that gets recruited by OU or Texas or FL is a guy with some chops.

The players themselves can carry a chip if they think they "deserve more stars", and if that motivates them... great. But (as we all know) the stars don't really carry that much weight. If a program likes a guy, they like him. And sometimes the program's level of interest determines the stars. For instance, Michael Onuoha, the DE out of Edmond Santa Fe wasn't even rated until the OU offer news broke. Now all of a sudden he is a 3-star.

Eh... sorry... I know I am just preaching to the choir.

8timechamps
1/20/2012, 08:27 PM
Not really if you understand the "star ratings" as a guideline. This is how they were explained to me by a recruitnik: 2 stars is outside shot at some PT in his 4 years, 3 is should definitely see playing time in his 4 years, maybe start junior/senior, 4 is should contribute immediately and start after a redshirt or freshman year, 5 is can't miss. Lots of programs are full of 3 star guys. So it shouldn't be a surprise that a 3-star that gets recruited by OU or Texas or FL is a guy with some chops.

The players themselves can carry a chip if they think they "deserve more stars", and if that motivates them... great. But (as we all know) the stars don't really carry that much weight. If a program likes a guy, they like him. And sometimes the program's level of interest determines the stars. For instance, Michael Onuoha, the DE out of Edmond Santa Fe wasn't even rated until the OU offer news broke. Now all of a sudden he is a 3-star.

The real problem with the rating system is that each service has their own guidelines (Max Preps, Rivals, ESPNU, etc, etc). You're explanation of the star ratings jives with the way I understand it. But, in the end, a 3 star recruit and a 5 start recruit can end up being the same caliber player. 2 and 3 start players do make up most of the FBS rosters, but there are also a good mix of 1 star or unranked players.

You're right, the example of Onuoha is a good one. I had no idea who he was until he popped up on OU's radar. Then, bam...he's a three star player.

At least we have something to keep us interested in the off season.

StoopTroup
1/20/2012, 09:27 PM
You were right about that last play. Amazing.

Thanks. I've watched it quite a few times now and I hope we see some really great plays like that while watching OU Football the next few years.

StoopTroup
1/20/2012, 09:33 PM

How do you rate a Walk-on that ends up starting and getting a Scholarship?

Again....these ratings are the best shot in the dark way they have to promote and create excitement about these kids as they leave HS. If they do a good job....people begin to believe they are onto something. Then they sign up for their website and try to make enough money to keep their site up, get more advertising and even do promotions and exclusive interviews.

It's a great gig if you can pick the winners.....just like selling your opinion to folks who lay down jack in Vegas on Games.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/21/2012, 12:29 AM
It's a great gig if you can pick the winners.....just like selling your opinion to folks who lay down jack in Vegas on Games.

No doubt. Which brings up a sidebar: I don't get gambling. Gambling is putting down your money in front of an operation that has a great deal of expertise in relieving you of it.

Take even basic slots gambling: "WE PAY OUT AT 97.3%! HIGHEST IN THE STATE!" What the heck kind of advertising is that? We're going to take $2.70 from your $100. Period. No you don't get anything. We are just taking it.

Selling dreams and fantasies. At least at a strip club I get to see boobies.

8timechamps
1/21/2012, 10:52 PM
No doubt. Which brings up a sidebar: I don't get gambling. Gambling is putting down your money in front of an operation that has a great deal of expertise in relieving you of it.

Take even basic slots gambling: "WE PAY OUT AT 97.3%! HIGHEST IN THE STATE!" What the heck kind of advertising is that? We're going to take $2.70 from your $100. Period. No you don't get anything. We are just taking it.

Selling dreams and fantasies. At least at a strip club I get to see boobies.

It's just like playing the lotto...you're buying an emotion. When I go to Vegas, the last thing I expect is to come back with more than I got there with. It's the 'chance' that I may win something that keeps me going back. If I were to think it through, and play the odds, I'd never step foot in Vegas again.