PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney is serial killer "Mitt the Ripper"

MR2-Sooner86
1/15/2012, 12:18 PM
Somebody was asking how Republicans could stop him, here you go.

The Super PAC formerly run by Stephen Colbert, Americans for a Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow, has released its first ad to air in South Carolina this week.
Colbert announced Thursday on his show on that he would run for "President of the United States of South Carolina" and handed off control of his Super PAC to fellow comedian Jon Stewart.
The ad riffs off Romney's "corporations are people" line from this summer, saying that if Romney's record at Bain Capital is considered, then he'd be a serial killer — creatively dubbed "Mitt the Ripper" by none other than John Lithgow, the narrator. (http://www.buzzfeed.com/zekejmiller/colbert-super-pac-goes-negative-on-romney-in-first)

The Ad is at the link to view.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/15/2012, 02:02 PM
That's pretty funny.

Back in 2004, one day when I pick my kids up from elementary school, they are both quite inquisitive, asking who I plan to vote for - Kerry or Bush? I said something like, "not sure, probably Kerry." It horrified them! My daughter says, "Dad, don't vote for Kerry! He's going to force boys to marry boys and girls to marry girls!!!"

I laugh and try my best to explain how ridiculous that is.

In any event, my daughter has shown almost zero interest in politics over the years. That is, up until earlier this week, when she starts asking me a bunch of questions about various pub candidates for president e.g., Michele Bachmann, Mitt Romney, Newt Gringrich.... She goes on and asks if I've ever watched Colbert on TV. Turns out she's been watching his show on Hulu lately. I'm glad she's finally showing some interest in politics.

badger
1/15/2012, 02:53 PM
You have to start somewhere and for the younger generation, it's often with comedy shows or guest appearances on talk shows/late night TV.

But, there's a reason why candidates don't take the college crowd too seriously. Some are good for youthful appearances and volunteer work on campaigns, but overall, the youth do not vote and probably have no idea when Oklahoma's primary is or that they have to register as a Dem or Repub to participate... and even when the main election rolls around, they will have no idea when voting day is, where their polling place is, or even that they have to register months in advance to be eligible to vote.

For the record, Super Tuesday, Oklahoma's primary date, is March 6. You can find your polling place or more info on registering to vote at the Oklahoma Election Board site here. (http://www.ok.gov/elections/)

AlboSooner
1/15/2012, 10:21 PM
http://www.webcasts.com/kingofbain/

East Coast Bias
1/16/2012, 04:25 PM
A masterful work of irony. A pointed way to say that you can set up a Super Pac, say whatever you want, then disavow any connection to what is being said. If he gets enough money does anyone doubt he could have an influence on the election?Obviously there is no place for the truth in any of these Super pac ads.....

KantoSooner
1/16/2012, 05:13 PM
I think we should change the way we select Presidents.

Basically, we go ahead and let them all line up for the job. We then charge each 'candidate' $50 milllion dollars for a ticket of admission. These funds go to national debt reduction. Any serious candidate can raise $50 mill.

Then we have a trial by adventure to select a winner. It might be a debate, it might be a steel-cage bull whip fight, it might be building the best dog house in 30 minutes or less. Anyway, just some stupid crap contest.

You could televise it live and sell ad space - again debt reduction.

It wouldn't be any more nonsensical than the way we do it now.

East Coast Bias
1/16/2012, 08:12 PM
What concerns me is that the ability to buy an election is out there right now. The job could go to the highest bid, regardless of ideology.What prevents an outside influence from another country buying into our elections through a US company? The emerging election strategy has become: Raise as much money as you can and put it all into negative advertising. Have we ever seen negative advertising that didn't work?