PDA

View Full Version : Kansas hires Dave Campo to run defense

stoops the eternal pimp
1/13/2012, 01:49 PM
Wow...I think that is a great hire for them.. http://www.kuathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011312aaa.html

StoopTroup
1/13/2012, 02:08 PM
You would think it would....but it has been quite a long time since he's dealt with College Athletes. Guess will see if Charlie and Dave can relate to KU's players. They definitely are developing a World Class Staff as far as if you think Charlie's resume has been stellar. I think he really sucked at ND so I have my doubts about KU. Charlie went 35-27 at ND. I guess folks in Lawrence think it was just Notre Dame and not CW.

badger
1/13/2012, 02:24 PM
Thoughts:

Kansas got a rude awakening during these past few years on just how undesireable they are to other conferences, as they were virtually shut out of any reallignment talk, except for sympathy offers should the Big 12 implode. Their big time basketball program was not nearly as valuable as they may have thought. Winning the Orange Bowl and having a 12-1 season did not have the staying power that some might have thought it would. Mediocre football with lousy loser-worthy attendance would not cut it. It's AAU status? A non-factor, as much as Mizzou and A&M tried to tout it as its reasoning for getting SEC bids. It's apparently on shaky ground, anyway. (http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/may/04/aau-status/)

Thus, KU needed to take drastic action. It couldn't afford any more time in mediocrity under Turner Gill, even if it meant paying him $6 million over the next three years to not coach KU football. It needed a big name coaching hire.

Of course, Washington said the same thing before it hired Tyrone Willingham. The connection? Both were head coaches at Notre Dame. FIRED head coaches at Notre Dame.

Hmmm...

StoopTroup
1/13/2012, 02:33 PM
Also...thanks to Lott's info on Wakarusa 2012....

Dumptruck Butterlips is my new name for Charlie.

http://greatseaurchinceviche.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/weiss.jpg

OULenexaman
1/13/2012, 03:01 PM
Damn Charlie.... that's pulling a rabbit out of the hat.

oumartin
1/13/2012, 03:15 PM
Does seem like a darn good hire!

stoops the eternal pimp
1/13/2012, 03:29 PM
The list of coaches they are bringing in is pretty impressive...with the transferring quarterbacks coming in, they could be 7-8 win team in year 2.

Curly Bill
1/13/2012, 03:40 PM
I'd argue that college athletes might be easier to deal with than overpaid NFL pros are?? I think it's a good hire for them too.

SoonerMom2
1/13/2012, 03:43 PM
Wasn't Campo with the Cowboys? He was and was fired: Dave Campo is the first casualty of the Cowboys (http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/01/cowboys-secondary-coach-dave-c.html) struggling secondary. He won't be the last.

Glad we didn't hire him with struggling secondary problems. And it is going to get better at Kansas by hiring pro coaches?

Will take a wait and see attitude.

bigfatjerk
1/13/2012, 03:51 PM
He's been the D-Backs coach for the Cowboys for much of his career. Including most of the time since hew as fired for being an ineffective head coach. Maybe his coaching abilities translate better to the college level. But he wasn't that good a coach in Dallas.

Curly Bill
1/13/2012, 04:04 PM
He's been the D-Backs coach for the Cowboys for much of his career. Including most of the time since hew as fired for being an ineffective head coach. Maybe his coaching abilities translate better to the college level. But he wasn't that good a coach in Dallas.

In his defense it's hard to be a good coach in Dallas when the person with real power is the guy writing the checks. And I'm not arguing Campo was a great coach, but he's better than what can be taken from his stint as the head coach in Dallas.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/13/2012, 04:09 PM
I would say those Dallas secondaries that he won super bowls with was pretty good..and his secondaries at miami were pretty good...

OULenexaman
1/13/2012, 04:17 PM
I'll second that...

picasso
1/13/2012, 08:40 PM
Campo always reminded me of Aunt Bea.

nighttrain12
1/13/2012, 08:48 PM
I don't think Campo is above average as a coach but I remember when he got fired by Jerry Jones as the Dallas head coach and he had the guts to show up at the press conference where Jerry (who invited him) was speaking to the press about it. I thought that showed a lot of class on Campo's part.

bluedogok
1/13/2012, 10:08 PM
Campo is a danged good position coach, just not much of a head coach. The Dallas secondary has personnel issues, not scheme issues. They need an entire new secondary there, firing Campo isn't going to fix their problem. He was probably fired more because he wasn't a Rob Ryan guy than any other reason.

birddog
1/13/2012, 10:24 PM
for some reason i thought they dropped football.

goingoneight
1/13/2012, 11:47 PM
for some reason i thought they dropped football.

no-no... you're thinking of TO and TFRW.

OUmillenium
1/16/2012, 01:27 AM
always liked Campo. I think KU is headed in the right direction with these hires.

ouleaf
1/16/2012, 03:47 AM
Campo is a good coach. Find it a little interesting that he's going to the college ranks, but he'll be able to coach up college guys just the same. He's a players coach and has a very like-able personality. Will be interesting to see how he does as a recruiter.

picasso
1/16/2012, 11:15 PM
Sorry but I can't see college kids wanting to play tackle football for a guy that looks like an old lady.
Does he still wear spandex?

StoopTroup
1/17/2012, 12:30 AM
The list of coaches they are bringing in is pretty impressive...with the transferring quarterbacks coming in, they could be 7-8 win team in year 2.

So....by year 3 they may steal the State of fexas Recruiting Championship Trophy and be an 8-7 Team?

My God....we will really need more than Mike Stoops back.....LMAO