PDA

View Full Version : Venables: stay or go and why

UberSooner
1/13/2012, 09:22 AM
Just curious where people line up on this topic. Seems like the issue is real at this moment and I know alot of people on here have wanted him to go for a long time. I never wanted Venables gone. I thought our D sucked at times but I always felt it was more a question of talent than coaching. You can only get the guys on campus that want to come and there's a thousand reasons that some of those don't work out. Nothing ever suggested to me that Venables was the problem.

Now, however, I think i'd rather see him go. Bob has decided to bring his bro back to call the D and Venables is being demoted (if reports are to be believed). That spells bad blood in time however things go. I don't want to see Ven go to WV but I think the best thing at this point, at least in the long run, is that he bail. Truth is, I wouldn't blame him at all. I have a really bad feeling about this to be honest.

Neath a Western Sky
1/13/2012, 09:25 AM
Can Mike Stoops shore up that hole in the middle of our defense that we've had for a few years? Will he come out of the "bend but don't break" defense that Brent just loves, (although we're getting gashed all the way down the field), before it get's you beat? How about that 15 yard cushion our cornerbacks give receivers so we can keep everything in front of us? OU needs changes made to our defense as bad as any team in the country. Let's hope we get them.

I'd like him to stay, if he's truly "The Other Stoops Brother" as I hear. But yes, Keller Sooner, you've well depicted where we are now. Our defense is headed the wrong direction, and far away are the days of a Lombardi, 2 Thorpes, and 2 Butkuses in 4 years under Mike. None of any since. No one wants Brent to leave, nor even give up significant Co-Defensive Coordinator-type authority. But if he does leave, then he is the one who has made it a "me or him" issue with Mike. In that case, the choice is clear. Plus, if it has to happen--which I hope it doesn't--wouldn't it offer the additional advantage of bringing in some truly fresh and talented new coaching (and recruiting) talent to the defensive side of the ball?

the-rover
1/13/2012, 10:34 AM
I'm torn on the moves. I hope he stays if they can coexist. I'm not sold on MS being the answer.....seems like a big gamble for Bob, besides adding another coach he can't fire.

What worries me is, how long does Mike stay if the defense shows the improvement we all feel is needed? If Mike gets another offer and BV is gone, then what? I'm sure there will be someone else out there, but BV has the recruiting contacts we will miss.

badger
1/13/2012, 10:43 AM
I like that it's taking a bunch of "he's leaving" rumors for us fans to finally realize how valuable (not "vulnerable," heh) he is to OU.

I am kind of surprised... nobody was dying when "Third and" got a head coaching job or went to KU as a coordinator.

KantoSooner
1/13/2012, 10:44 AM
Repeating what others have said:

MS might be the second coming.

BV might suck or be the head coach in waiting.

I don't really care.

What I WOULD like to see is:

1. Pressure on opposing QBs

2. Plugging the bleeding hole that is our middle

3. A cessation of arm tackling

It has been far too long since anyone in the entirety of college football looked at OU's defense and did anything other than smirk. We desperately need to get back to the days when opposing players knew they would leave the field either beaten or on gurneys.

OULenexaman
1/13/2012, 11:12 AM
Stay....and then go tell Trammel to go **** himself

oumartin
1/13/2012, 11:25 AM
I don't mind him staying, just go back to coaching linebackers

PalmettoSooner
1/13/2012, 11:55 AM
Rumors here in South Carolina...BV is in the mix for DC at Clemson.

Curly Bill
1/13/2012, 11:57 AM
Never been a fan..I'd like to see him go. He's also been effectively demoted, if I were him I would go.

SoonerTerry
1/13/2012, 12:10 PM
In case anybody was wondering
These are the stats listed on soonersports.com

Coaching Accomplishments
• Coached 12 NFL Draft picks and four NFL free agents. Linebackers under his direction have been named the Big 12 Defensive POY five times and Big 12 Defensive NOY five times. Also has two Butkus Award winners and two other Butkus finalists along with a Bednarik Award winner.

• The 2010 defense was No. 13 in pass efficiency defense, No. 7 in tackles, and it helped OU earn a No. 7 ranking in turnover margin.

• The 2009 defense was No. 2 in the Big 12 in both scoring and total defense (No. 7 nationally in both). The unit also ranked No. 5 nationally in sacks (3.08), No. 5 in red zone defense (71%), No. 7 in rushing defense (88.6), No. 8 in tackles for loss (7.8) and No. 10 in pass efficiency defense.

• Despite facing 11 of the top 50 scoring offenses, OU was among the top three in nearly every Big 12 category in 2008. OU was No. 4 nationally in sacks, No. 20 in rushing defense.

• The 2007 defense was No. 2 in Big 12 scoring (No. 5 NCAA) and total (No. 19 NCAA) defense despite facing four of the nation's top-nine offenses, three of the top five. OU defense led Big 12 in sacks (32) and scored six TDs.

• A Broyles finalist `06 when OU led the Big 12 in total (No. 16 NCAA), scoring (No. 19 NCAA) and pass efficiency defense (No. 13 NCAA) and was No. 2 in rushing defense (No. 16 NCAA) and No. 6 nationally with 32 takeaways.

• In 2005, OU's NCAA rank was No. 4 in rush, No. 13 in total defense.

• OU led the Big 12 in 2004 in total, rushing and scoring defense. The Sooners ranked No. 11 nationally in scoring and rushing defense, No. 13 in total defense.

• The 2003 Sooners ranked No. 1 nationally in total defense and passing defense, No. 2 in pass efficiency defense, No. 3 in scoring defense, No. 5 in turnover margin and No. 19 in rushing defense.

• In 2002, OU was No. 6 nationally in scoring defense, No. 7 in pass efficiency, defense, No. 9 in passing defense, No. 10 in total defense and No. 14 in rushing defense.

• In `01, OU ranked No. 4 nationally in scoring and total defense, No. 5 in pass eff., defense, No. 6 in takeaways, No. 7 in rushing defense and No. 11 in passing defense.

BigTip
1/13/2012, 12:12 PM
What I WOULD like to see is:

1. Pressure on opposing QBs

2. Plugging the bleeding hole that is our middle

3. A cessation of arm tackling

And....a secondary... a secondary...a secondary.....and .........a friggin' secondary!

It has been far too long since anyone in the entirety of college football looked at OU's defense and did anything other than smirk. We desperately need to get back to the days when opposing players knew they would leave the field either beaten or on gurneys.

One game this year, the Seminoles, was like that. It was grand. What happened after that?

Sooner in Tampa
1/13/2012, 12:14 PM
Rumors here in South Carolina...BV is in the mix for DC at Clemson.
It's getting around on twitter too

RT @TravHaney My former colleague @travis_sawchik says Dabo's first call for DC job was to Venables. Likes experience vs spread offenses.

PalmettoSooner
1/13/2012, 12:16 PM
It's getting around on twitter too

Travis Haney worked here in South Carolina up until last season. He has a lot of contacts.

Soonermagik
1/13/2012, 12:43 PM
I'm honestly conflicted. I believe every coach as a shelf life and eventually most become bored, content, ineffective etc..

I don't mind if he stays if he can co-exist with Mike Stoops. The weirdest part about this story is why would he leave to be another coordinator? I mean, WV would be a step down from OU. I would think he would only want to leave to become a head coach at a big time program.

Curly Bill
1/13/2012, 12:49 PM
I'm honestly conflicted. I believe every coach as a shelf life and eventually most become bored, content, ineffective etc..

I don't mind if he stays if he can co-exist with Mike Stoops. The weirdest part about this story is why would he leave to be another coordinator? I mean, WV would be a step down from OU. I would think he would only want to leave to become a head coach at a big time program.

I don't think he envisions that offer walking through the door.

StoopTroup
1/13/2012, 01:30 PM
Never been a fan..I'd like to see him go. He's also been effectively demoted, if I were him I would go.

If you were him though....you'd be trying to kick your own *** for talking so bad about yourself. :D

badger
1/13/2012, 02:07 PM
Stay: He makes $440k annually, the highest of any OU assistant.

Go: If another school comes close, does a few thousand really matter?

Stay: He's been with Bob ever since playing under him at Kansas State.

Go: This could be his chance to prove that he can succeed without Bob.

Stay: It's OU. It's better than everywhere else he's been rumored to.

Go: Unless a better place just hasn't been rumored yet that he's actually headed to, hmmmmm?

OU_Sooners75
1/13/2012, 03:13 PM
Well the change I was hoping for is upon us. That said I never said, sans after tech, that I think he needs to be gone. I have been wanting change and mike stoops brings that.

As far as if he should stay or go, that is for him to decide. I just hoPe he makes the right choice that he needs to make and that he can live the rest of his life without regret.

He does bring some very good recruiting skills to the table, so if he goes, that would be missed. But there are some out there that match his ability to recruit, if not are better.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/13/2012, 03:16 PM
The Oklahoma name recruits well. Stay or go, Oklahoma will recruit well with him and will recruit well without him. It's the same reason Oklahoma recruited relatively well during the John Blake era that he tried to take so much credit for.

SoonerMom2
1/13/2012, 03:54 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/SoonerScoop
OU also confirms earlier reports of Mike and Brent being together at Will Rogers Airport. They went out recruiting together.

There is your answer -- the two are together hitting recruiting. Someone had reported seeing them in line at Will Rogers and now OU has confirmed.

SoonerMom2
1/13/2012, 04:00 PM
From Bob Stoops press release (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011312aaa.html):

"Mike and Brent were out the door recruiting together within two hours of Mike's hiring so we're off to a good start," Bob Stoops said.

Sounds to me like the two are going to enjoy coaching together again.

sooneron
1/13/2012, 04:12 PM
I think Brent will probably ease up with most of the limelight/heat taken off him. I think it has weighed heavily on him since Mike left and maybe, he wasn't ready for the keys to Daddy's porsche. He can stick around for another couple of years and contribute to an *** kicking D and move on to a coord role at a big time school by himself or take a HC job at a mid major or a lesser BCS conf school.

I look forward to seeing the two headed monster on our sidelines again!

UberSooner
1/13/2012, 04:15 PM
The fact that he's out recruiting doesn't make him staying more likely. He's not going to shut down his present responcibilities while he fields offers. That's all done through third parties so its business as usual until a deal is done. What concerns me is there hasn't been a formal presser from the A.D. about the changes so it makes me suspect that not everything is in place.

sooneron
1/13/2012, 04:18 PM
The fact that he's out recruiting doesn't make him staying more likely. He's not going to shut down his present responcibilities while he fields offers. That's all done through third parties so its business as usual until a deal is done. What concerns me is there hasn't been a formal presser from the A.D. about the changes so it makes me suspect that not everything is in place.
Did you READ the press release? This doesn't sound like "Brent is going through the motions" speak to me...

"Mike and Brent have a long history and comfort level working together, and have together led some great defenses," Bob Stoops said.
It sounds like Brent's here through next year, at least.

badger
1/13/2012, 04:21 PM
Staying, I guess?

SS.com just posted a press release that states:

Mike Stoops, the younger brother of OU's head coach, returns to Oklahoma where he coached from 1999-2003 while working with the Sooner secondary. The move will reunite Mike Stoops with Brent Venables, OU's Associate Head Coach. The two previously served as co-defensive coordinators and authored some of the nation's best defenses.

"Mike and Brent have a long history and comfort level working together, and have together led some great defenses," Bob Stoops said.

Link (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011312aaa.html)

Intriguing "hmmmmm" time...

OULenexaman
1/13/2012, 04:25 PM
yippee!! Beer time!!

cccasooner2
1/13/2012, 05:06 PM
I hope Brent stays, Mike should never have left IMHO, but can't faulting him for trying to be a HC. It was obvious to me when Bob's daughter was getting heart surgery and Mike took over for a few weeks as HC, he preferred and excelled as playing with the kids. I know we must always seek our level of incompetence, but it seems a shame to throw away what we are really good at. Mike and Brett had a good thing going and Mike, not Brett, took that away when he went to Arizona. Let's hope that the magical chemistry is stil there.

cccasooner2
1/13/2012, 05:15 PM
Guess I should have opened the OU HoneyBadger's link before I posted. :D Go Mike and BV.

badger
1/13/2012, 05:16 PM
Guess I should have opened the OU HoneyBadger's link before I posted. :D Go Mike and BV.

There's no honey to this badger. I'll leave that for synthetic marijuana smokers and female indy car drivers.

SoonerorLater
1/13/2012, 05:28 PM
I for one do not want Venables to go. I just don't like him as DC. As a matter of fact I think he might make a better HC than a DC. Pretty good media guy and a heck of recruiter. When Bob decides to hang it up I think
Venables would make a good replacement or at least be in the mix.

cccasooner2
1/13/2012, 05:32 PM
There's no honey to this badger. I'll leave that for synthetic marijuana smokers and female indy car drivers.

Well, excuuuuuse me!!! Glad to hear (or is it here?) that the real genii to the team D are back in action. I can't wait for success and the posts that call for OU to be HCU, which translates to loser U.

cleller
1/13/2012, 06:23 PM
If he stays it could be trouble-
But if he goes it will be double.

So, come on and let me know-
Should he stay or should he go?

AlboSooner
1/13/2012, 09:04 PM
I don't think that yelling and screaming can make up for the fact that the defense is on the field too long, and too often.

There is a reason why spread hurry up teams dont have good defenses.

birddog
1/13/2012, 10:31 PM
this totally kicks ace and any coach in the good ol USA would LOVE to have m stoops as a d coordinator. hopefully mike can remind bob that national championships don't suck.

Crimsontothecore
1/13/2012, 10:58 PM
I hope Brent stays but he might be in a no-win situation as a "co" DC. If the defense doesn't show improvement next year people will say he still has to much influence. If the defense does improve people will give all the credit to Mike. I feel bad for Brent and the position this puts him in.

olevetonahill
1/13/2012, 11:12 PM
Aint he STILL the Asst. Head coach?

basel90
1/14/2012, 07:32 AM
we need Mike. Under Venables alone OU's defense dedclined in almost all categries , look up the record. There is a reason no top 10 or 15 school wanted Venables . Martinez had to go as that secondary was so bad it looked like a high school defense.
Anohter thing OU needs to fix is recruiting. There are talent gaps and OU's recruits have not been top 5 for a while , which it should be.

Crimsontothecore
1/14/2012, 10:29 AM
we need Mike. Under Venables alone OU's defense dedclined in almost all categries , look up the record. There is a reason no top 10 or 15 school wanted Venables . Martinez had to go as that secondary was so bad it looked like a high school defense.
Anohter thing OU needs to fix is recruiting. There are talent gaps and OU's recruits have not been top 5 for a while , which it should be.

The coaching part I mostly agree with but not the recruiting. Recruiting classes do not have to be top-5 to be championship caliber. If that were the case Texas would be celebrating their 10th consecutive national title. I'm not saying it's ok if OU's classes are ranked 60th but they are typically top-10 which is more than capable from a talent standpoint.

SoonerMom2
1/14/2012, 10:55 AM
All you have to do is listen to the former players who played for Mike Stoops and Venerables when they were coaching together. They are thrilled the two are back together. The former defensive backfield players are all extremely happy to see Mike Stoops return to coach the defensive backs.

Two hours after Mike signed his contract and received his compliance briefing the two are on the way to the airport getting in a car as Bob returned from a recruiting visit in Edmond. I am not sure Martinez was ever a good fit as players didn't seem to have a clue at times where they were supposed to be. That won't happen when Mike is the coach. Maybe we can get back to special teams being really good on kick-off and punt returns now with Mike back.

oumartin
1/14/2012, 10:59 AM
All you have to do is listen to the former players who played for Mike Stoops and Venerables when they were coaching together. They are thrilled the two are back together. The former defensive backfield players are all extremely happy to see Mike Stoops return to coach the defensive backs.

Two hours after Mike signed his contract and received his compliance briefing the two are on the way to the airport getting in a car as Bob returned from a recruiting visit in Edmond. I am not sure Martinez was ever a good fit as players didn't seem to have a clue at times where they were supposed to be. That won't happen when Mike is the coach. Maybe we can get back to special teams being really good on kick-off and punt returns now with Mike back.

Jonathan Hayes aint walking through that door

AzianSooner
1/14/2012, 12:28 PM
This is how it works:

1. Mike will deeply involve with the coaching the secondary and oversight to a little detail in overal defense. (Ven is still with the linebackers)
2. Mike will deeply involve with every defense game plan. He will let Ven continue to make a play calling as necessary (acting like an headcoach of the defense) and give yes/no nada/Si on every play.
3. Mike will deeply involve with spot, recruite the talents. This is the key to the next Nationall Championship opportunity as usual. (Notice, under him the D looked, played pretty well. He can see the talent to use)

About Ven.
1. He will have a chance to continue to do what he is doing. The defense play calling now going thru two layer of hierachy (Mike then Bob) and ofcourse, Bob will let Mike do the Nada/Si, Yes/No for him.
2. All defense gameplan meeting, plan, recruite.... will go thru Mike first before reaching Bob. Ven and Mike will make recomendation for recruiting and offerring to Bob.
3. Ven will have a chance to learn more about defense call and the good/bad experiences from Mike's headcoaching and recruiting overall.
4. Ven will continue to talor his skill while having a VERY good job at Norman Oklahoma.

That is my observations.

StoopTroup
1/14/2012, 01:06 PM
OU finally makes an official announcement that has Brent staying and Willie leaving and Willie doesn't sound to upset about it IMO....

"I've been presented with some professional opportunities that I want to pursue," he said. "In leaving Oklahoma, I want to convey my thanks and appreciation to Joe Castiglione, Bob Stoops, the football staff, our players and the Sooner fans. OU has a great football tradition and I am pleased that I've had the opportunity to coach here and meet a number of wonderful people. I certainly wish the Sooners all the best going forward."

For now it seems Willie is leaving under good terms.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011312aaa.html

Sooner91ATL
1/14/2012, 01:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLZI2z19vbQ

StoopTroup
1/14/2012, 01:46 PM
So 91....you think he should have blasted them I guess or his career is dead? Just trying to be funny?

cccasooner2
1/14/2012, 01:49 PM
Aint he STILL the Asst. Head coach?

Looks like it. He and BJW ast. heads. http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/coaching_staff.html

Mike on the page already. :)

StoopTroup
1/14/2012, 01:50 PM
I will say this....they changed the Coaching Staff list already too....Willie has been removed.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/coaching_staff.html

StoopTroup
1/14/2012, 01:51 PM
Looks like it. He and BJW ast. heads. http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/coaching_staff.html

Mike on the page already. :)

Yup....was just taking that in myself.

cccasooner2
1/14/2012, 01:59 PM
Yup....was just taking that in myself.

That azure and cream shirt has to go though. :D

StoopTroup
1/14/2012, 02:02 PM
That azure and cream shirt has to go though. :D

Must be his lucky recruiting shirt....?

Man....he and Bob must of been in a hurry to get out the door.....they couldn't get him a new shirt and stop and get a pic of him in it.....lol

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/okla/graphics/auto/20120112_mike_stoops.jpg

StoopTroup
1/14/2012, 02:05 PM
They should go with this one IMO....:D

http://i.cnn.net/si/2003/football/ncaa/11/29/arizona.stoops.ap/p1_stoops_ap.jpg

PalmettoSooner
1/14/2012, 03:52 PM
BV in Clemson today?
https://twitter.com/DaveSittler

cccasooner2
1/14/2012, 04:03 PM
BV in Clemson today?

Travis Blanks will be a nice pick up. :)

StoopTroup
1/14/2012, 04:10 PM
BV in Clemson today?

Evidently Dave Sittler and John Hoover didn't see the announcement OU sent out....lol

You know....I think it's possible that Brent did go checkout the offer especially since Clemson was pouring out huge money to their OC after one year of what Clemson calls success.

Venables, 41, is Bob Stoops’ highest-paid assistant coach at $440,000 a year. But Swinney and Clemson athletic director Terry Don Phillips gave offensive coordinator Chad Morris a six-year deal worth $1.3 million a year after his first season at Clemson.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20120113_92_0_Olhmee794661

PalmettoSooner
1/14/2012, 04:32 PM
They still have to pay the buyout of their ex DC....Going to Clemson would be a step down for BV IMO

SoonerMom2
1/14/2012, 04:57 PM
Venerables and M Stoops left on recruiting yesterday together as announced and now after less than 24 hours Venerables is at Clemson? Reminds me when Blevins said that Stoops was in Gainesville and someone called in the radio to say they were in a restaurant in Norman right across from Stoops.

StoopTroup
1/14/2012, 05:02 PM
They still have to pay the buyout of their ex DC....Going to Clemson would be a step down for BV IMO

I don't disagree however some OU Fans feel that Brent took a step Down when Mike came back here. IMO...it's all just a bunch of Titles and if you are gonna get respect as a Coach....it's gonna be as a Coach of a Team that competes for a National Championship and I don't see Clemson competing for a MNC ever.

SoonerMom2
1/14/2012, 05:06 PM
It is official -- Dean Blevins has weighed in on Twitter :pride::

DeanBlevins Dean Blevins
Looks like BStoops might've been successful in pursuading BVenables 2 stay. Strong hunch BV was told he'd be HC candidate when BS quits@ #OU

That is different from yesterday when he said his sources said there was a chance BV would be Clemson even after the two defensive guys left on recruiting. Just like his source from the 1st of January on Mike was coming back to OU. We saw it on Phoenix TV after the Insight Bowl that they were predicting that Mike Stoops was headed to Norman.

StoopTroup
1/14/2012, 05:10 PM
Venerables and M Stoops left on recruiting yesterday together as announced and now after less than 24 hours Venerables is at Clemson? Reminds me when Blevins said that Stoops was in Gainesville and someone called in the radio to say they were in a restaurant in Norman right across from Stoops.

I agree with you as evidently either Clemson didn't have much to offer Brent and he indeed took off recruiting or they were only asking to contact Brent and there will be more Rumor Mills stay open. Sittler did indeed say Mike and Venables went recruiting together but he also left the door open that Brent could still be in the hunt for the Clemson Job.

Also, Brent Venables might just be staying.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20120114_92_B6_CUTLIN274791

OU's announcement did indeed seem to be that Brent will be on the Sooner Staff so maybe Sittler and Hoover are full of beans by letting Guerin Emig publish that story. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20120114_92_B6_CUTLIN274791)

StoopTroup
1/14/2012, 05:18 PM
It is official -- Dean Blevins has weighed in on Twitter :pride::

DeanBlevins Dean Blevins
Looks like BStoops might've been successful in pursuading BVenables 2 stay. Strong hunch BV was told he'd be HC candidate when BS quits@ #OU

That is different from yesterday when he said his sources said there was a chance BV would be Clemson even after the two defensive guys left on recruiting. Just like his source from the 1st of January on Mike was coming back to OU. We saw it on Phoenix TV after the Insight Bowl that they were predicting that Mike Stoops was headed to Norman.

Like I've tried to say about these reporters and twitter feeds....there just isn't much validity to any of these guys even though many of them have good sources and have been covering OU for quite awhile.....they seem to be more confused than anyone as to what is really going on and in doing what they are doing....they are creating even more confusion by adding to the Internet Message Boards who then all spin it even more.

cccasooner2
1/14/2012, 05:32 PM
Like I've tried to say about these reporters and twitter feeds....there just isn't much validity to any of these guys even though many of them have good sources and have been covering OU for quite awhile.....they seem to be more confused than anyone as to what is really going on and in doing what they are doing....they are creating even more confusion by adding to the Internet Message Boards who then all spin it even more.

As someone i worked with once said: "Great, now we can FU at very near the speed of light".

SoonerMom2
1/14/2012, 09:32 PM

You are 100% correct and you never know what they are going to say as they rush to get their Tweets out! Blevins cracked me up though when he talked about his source on Mike Stoops since the media in Phoenix had him headed to OU on the 31st of December.

OU-HSV
1/14/2012, 09:39 PM
Here's an interesting tidbit. Supposedly BV is on Clemson's campus this evening.

http://clemson.infusionsports.com/2012/01/14/venables-on-campus/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

cccasooner2
1/14/2012, 10:21 PM
Here's an interesting tidbit. Supposedly BV is on Clemson's campus this evening.

http://clemson.infusionsports.com/2012/01/14/venables-on-campus/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Apparently, $9.99 gets the scoop. :D :D

OU-HSV
1/14/2012, 10:56 PM
Apparently, $9.99 gets the scoop. :D :D
Yeah all we non payers get is a little blurb saying he's reportedly on their campus.

SoonerMom2
1/15/2012, 12:14 AM
According to people who saw them, Stoops and Venerables were also at the Tampa airport going to Atlanta at the same time he was rumored to be on the Clemson campus. I didn't know he could be in two places at one time! :) He is recruiting for OU this weekend and no way would he make a side trip to Clemson in the middle of recruiting with Stoops for OU.

OU-HSV
1/15/2012, 12:20 AM
According to people who saw them, Stoops and Venerables were also at the Tampa airport going to Atlanta at the same time he was rumored to be on the Clemson campus. I didn't know he could be in two places at one time! :) He is recruiting for OU this weekend and no way would he make a side trip to Clemson in the middle of recruiting with Stoops for OU.
I saw some of this as well. However the stuff I saw would've put Mike and BV in Florida at 11 am or so this morning. It would've been a full day, but you never know. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

BASSooner
1/15/2012, 12:47 AM
STAY. this one is a no brainer. For those of the newbies who don't remember anything back in 2000....

he's one hell of a recruiter (main reason)
he's one hell of a LB coach
his scheme meshes so well with Mike.

He needs to stay. i wouldn't mind if we payed him 750k

PalmettoSooner
1/15/2012, 12:41 PM
Looking at some of the Clemson message boards, it seems that the fans base is split over whether they want BV or not. A lot of them want either Randy Shannon or Bill Clark (HC at South Alabama). This is what I got off one of their message boards (its from ESPN Insider).

Venables to Clemson?
8:22AM ET
Oklahoma Sooners

UPDATE: West Virginia was the first to make a run at Oklahoma co-defensive coordinator Brent Venables, but Clemson may be the team that seals the deal.

"Sources close to the Oklahoma football program said it's believed that defensive coordinator Brent Venables was at Clemson University on Saturday to discuss a job with the Tigers," Dave Sittler of the Tulsa World reported.

"Those OU sources said they believe the Clemson job is there for Venables to accept or turn down. Instead of an interview, Clemson officials were reportedly trying to convince Venables to take the job."

Venables took his name out of consideration for the Mountaineers according to Sittler. A decision regarding Clemson could come as early as today.

- Brent Sobleski

---

UPDATE: Don't assume that Brent Venables is automatically leaving Oklahoma just because Mike Stoops is back. While the defensive coach is in high demand, the Sooners badly want Venables to work with Stoops as co-defensive coordinators.

"I've been gone eight years," Stoops tells Mike Baldwin and Travis Haney of The Oklahoman. "I'm working with Brent. We're working together. That's it. Roles have not been defined. Other than that, I'm coaching the defensive backs."

When Stoops was asked if he would definitely be calling signals for the Sooners, Stoops replied, "That's the wrong way to report it, no question. That's not even close to being accurate at this point."

If Stoops is willing to concede play-calling duties to his new/old colleague, it shows how far Oklahoma will go to keep Venables in Norman.

- Vince Verhei

SoonerMom2
1/15/2012, 01:49 PM
Just want all this to end. Looks like Mike came back to OK and Venerables went to Clemson from ATL. They use OU planes if available for recruiting trips but not for a coach to interview with another program so anyone tracking an OU plane is barking up the wrong tree unless it is to pick up Venerables after he tells Clemson NO.

If I had to choose, I would rather have Mike Stoops, but I would much rather have both.

StoopTroup
1/15/2012, 02:05 PM
As long as Sittler, Blevins and whoever else keep writing, tweeting nothing will stop it but It will make for some interesting stuff once Dave or Dean appear on TV or at Press Conferences and they get ignored.

I can't see Bob being to happy with Dean on his Post Game Show if he continues to make allegations via Twitter.

OU-HSV
1/15/2012, 02:11 PM
Just want all this to end. Looks like Mike came back to OK and Venerables went to Clemson from ATL. They use OU planes if available for recruiting trips but not for a coach to interview with another program so anyone tracking an OU plane is barking up the wrong tree unless it is to pick up Venerables after he tells Clemson NO.

If I had to choose, I would rather have Mike Stoops, but I would much rather have both.
Someone posted a flight tracking site last night that showed a flight from OKC Wiley Post airport to the Clemson area airport. It was a small plane from what I read, and I doubt it was an OU plane. So I guess it would make sense if he and Mike flew back yesterday and then BV soon after boarded a plane on his own to head to Clemson.
I'm like you are, I'd rather have Mike and I'm excited that he is back. And I wouldn't blame BV for looking for other opportunities. All things considered I just can't see keeping both of them around.
But if BV sticks around I think it will be a good thing if he is focusing mostly on positional coaching of the LBs (and recruiting of course), and not have tons of other duties. It seems this staff needed some shaking up and no matter what coaches stay or go I'm hopeful we'll start seeing better performances from the defense as a whole.

OU-HSV
1/15/2012, 02:14 PM
As long as Sittler, Blevins and whoever else keep writing, tweeting nothing will stop it but It will make for some interesting stuff once Dave or Dean appear on TV or at Press Conferences and they get ignored.

I can't see Bob being to happy with Dean on his Post Game Show if he continues to make allegations via Twitter.
I was thinking about this last night. Considering Dean does the coaches show w/Bob and considering he surely has a business type friendship w/him. I'm surprised Dean is kind of winging some reports, especially via the lame *** thing called twitter

SoonerMom2
1/15/2012, 03:06 PM
Speaking of Blevins who is getting in the dog house of OU by the hour, he is saying that Venerables would be making $750,000 versus $500,000 to $600,000 here which he justed posted from his reliable source.

Then Sooner Scoop has this: SoonerScoop SoonerScoop.com
Story just posted: Clemson commit talks with Venables and says, "I feel (Venables) is going to be the guy." http://oklahoma.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1318874

Twitter is alive and well today with Hoover also on right now!

If Mike takes over as DC, who is going to be our linebacker coach? Supposedly Venables is still in Clemson and will make a decision today or tomorrow.

En_Fuego
1/15/2012, 03:17 PM
All I can say about this is;

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u147/parallaxfilms/fired.jpg

SoonerMom2
1/15/2012, 03:19 PM
http://clemson.scout.com/ -- looks like Venerables is talking to their commits at Clemson. Did he take Mike Stoops out to meet the OU recruits he was recruiting? Is the reason that Bob Stoops was so committed to bringing back Mike as he knew Venerables might leave?

northspeter
1/15/2012, 03:25 PM
according to clemson's http://clemson.infusionsports.com/2012/01/15/dabo-gets-his-man/ , he has taken the job and has been introduced to recruits... will be official after he talks with stoops...

Okie35
1/15/2012, 03:36 PM
Wish BV the best. Hopefully Mike can handle all those spreads. I don't know though the only coach that has the spreads number is Saban.

Boomer.....
1/15/2012, 03:54 PM
Well balls! I guess he didn't want to share the duties. This puts some real pressure on Mike.

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/15/2012, 03:54 PM
Could he stand to wear orange after hating it for so long?

northspeter
1/15/2012, 03:55 PM
john hoover is also reporting that its a done deal... over at the tulsa world... alright bob, let's bring in randy shannon now to coach the LB's...

sooners2win
1/15/2012, 04:01 PM
I like that idea, Randy Shannon

SoonerMom2
1/15/2012, 04:05 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?Report_Venables_takes_Clemson_DC_j ob/12-13783 --

Tulsa World reporting that Venables has taken the DC position at Clemson per Clemson insider as he has spent the weekend there visiting the facilities and meeting with recruits.

Now who replaces Venerables?

Sooner91ATL
1/15/2012, 04:06 PM
I do not blame Venables if he leaves. I read that he may get as much as a 100% pay increase so yeah, that's a good thing. Upstate SC is not real great and Clemson is in a basketball conference with down football powers so he may have a chance to shine. But mostly, it's a real kick in the teeth to take a demotion. I do not see it any other way and objectively, that's what it is. Call it what you want, it's bringing back someone who is at least equal to your job to share the duties. That is a demotion and in the cutthroat college coaching world it's something that cannot stand if he wants to get his big gig one day. I do not like BV defenses in their soft approach so I am not sorry to see him go, but I do feel sorry for him due to the situation.

SoonerMom2
1/15/2012, 04:12 PM
I think that Bob Stoops may have had an inkling with all the interest in Venerables that he might take another job as he was getting a lot of interest this year and why Mike Stoops came back. After reading what some of our former players have been saying about Mike Stoops I am very happy to see him coming back to OU and now looks like he will be the Defensive Coordinator and assistant head coach. Know we heard people saying at the Insight Bowl the reason our defensive backfield looked better was because Mike Stoops was on the sideline. Must admit I had that thought myself.

Interested in who they will get for the linebackers now. I cannot wait until spring football now!

northspeter
1/15/2012, 04:15 PM
randy shannon was mentioned a few days ago, when the rumors first popped up...

sooners2win
1/15/2012, 04:15 PM
It is a demotion but mike is greater than not equal to bv, mike was a head coach for years now and that's what I base that on. I would like to have both but it's probably best for bv and OU that he move on finally

northspeter
1/15/2012, 04:22 PM
sittler is reporting no deal will be done today... dabo swinney still wants to interview randy shannon for the job...

StoopTroup
1/15/2012, 04:25 PM
So...

Sources have indicated Clemson is perhaps willing to pay in the neighborhood of $1 million a year for the new coordinator. The Tigers’ offensive coordinator, former Tulsa assistant Chad Morris, now makes $1.3 million a year.

“I feel like he’s going to be the guy,” Clemson safety commit Ronald Geohaghan told TigerIllustrated.com on Sunday. “I think that’s who is going to be our defensive coordinator. He seems cool and down to earth. He takes his job seriously and loves his team, loves his linebackers.”

http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2012/01/15/venables-sunday-afternoon-update-still-in-clemson-ou-still-waiting/

En_Fuego
1/15/2012, 04:28 PM
Thank you God.............And Curly Bill.

En_Fuego
1/15/2012, 04:30 PM
Randy Shannon .........Pulp Fiction

StoopTroup
1/15/2012, 04:30 PM

My how things can be one way and then another....

Maybe Mike was merely running interference for Brent? Just dropped him off at Will Rogers and then went to see a Basketball Game....LMAO

Venables and Mike Stoops left Oklahoma City together Friday afternoon to recruit – something that was even indicated in the school’s release announcing Mike Stoops’ rehiring.
Mike Stoops was spotted Saturday night at the Thunder basketball game while Venables remained east, where he still was as of Sunday afternoon.

http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2012/01/15/venables-sunday-afternoon-update-still-in-clemson-ou-still-waiting/

SoonerMom2
1/15/2012, 04:34 PM
Sittler is reporting that people have pressured the Clemson AD to interview Shannon before making a decision while Hoover is reporting Venerables has the job. Both from the same paper! Sittler says no decision today.

SoonerMom2
1/15/2012, 04:36 PM
DaveSittler Dave Sittler
Source: Venables could attend Clemson-Duke hoops game tonight. Isn't that where fb coaches get introduced? May know more in an hour.

Decided the only way to enjoy reading Twitter is to take it with a grain of salt as you get a 180 in an hour's time!

StoopTroup
1/15/2012, 04:39 PM
I'm sure the Venables Haters are peeing in their pants...

To me it looks like Brent likes the idea of being the sole DC Hands down especially if it gets him a Million Bucks.

We have seen Brent in this position before and he turned right around and came back to OU. Should he not be offerred the money he thinks he's worth or the Randy Shannon thing become something that they can get Randy cheaper than Brent....

Who the hell knows what will happen....

The Tulsa World will update this story as details become available throughout the day.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ou/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20120115_92_0_Oklaho7229

StoopTroup
1/15/2012, 04:45 PM
Good Article....A BLAST FROM THE PAST....kind of....

http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2012/01/13/ou-football-stoopsvenables-saga-weve-seen-before/

SoonerMom2
1/15/2012, 04:48 PM
This is the funniest one yet from Sittler:

“@PaulErger: @DaveSittler Flightaware shows a planned flight from Clemson to Wiley Post in OKC tonight. Venables not a Duke fan. :-)

Maybe Venables didn't want to run into Capel? Sooner Scoop said he is headed back to Norman still an OU coach so nothinig decided it looks like.

StoopTroup
1/15/2012, 04:51 PM
I'll bet they didn't offer him enough money and they didn't jump all over him when he showed up to talk. At first it was that they have spoke to him on the phone about whether he was interested.....so they talk....he says yes....he goes to Clemson and then they pull this Randy Shannon deal on him....

I'd be back on the plane and wouldn't answer the phone for a couple of days....

SoonerMom2
1/15/2012, 04:56 PM
http://clemson.infusionsports.com/2012/01/15/dabo-gets-his-man/ -- Details from Clemson Insider saying he has been offered the job and returning to OU to personally tell OU he took the job at Clemson. Said the announcement comes later in the week after details have been worked out. Saying in the report that Clemson offered more than the $750,000 of OU while OU reporters are saying OU was between $500,000 to $600,000 so who knows.

Details from Clemson Insider at the link above.

StoopTroup
1/15/2012, 05:00 PM
http://clemson.infusionsports.com/2012/01/15/dabo-gets-his-man/ -- Details from Clemson Insider saying he has been offered the job and returning to OU to personally tell OU he took the job at Clemson. Said the announcement comes later in the week after details have been worked out. Saying in the report that Clemson offered more than the $750,000 of OU while OU reporters are saying OU was between $500,000 to $600,000 so who knows.

Then you start reading these links and see them waffling away from their headlines....lol

As with any situation like this, things can remain fluid until all parties have signed the dotted line. Coach Venables would most likely head back to Oklahoma to inform folks there of his intentions to step down from that program, so one could expect a full court press from Sooner head coach Bob Stoops to try to keep Venable’s services in Norman. Sources reported just yesterday to The Clemson Insider that Coach Stoops had already offered to nearly double Coach Venables salary from a reported $440,000 per year to $750,000 per year. Sources have also told us that Clemson has tendered an offer of more than Oklahoma’s $750,000 per year offer.

StoopTroup
1/15/2012, 05:43 PM
Norman Transcript....

http://normantranscript.com/sports/x1467875275/Is-Brent-Venables-checking-out-job-prospects

OU coach Bob Stoops declined to answer questions at the OU-Kansas State basketball game Saturday afternoon.

OU coach Bob Stoops and running backs coach Cale Gundy were both at OU’s basketball game against Kansas State on Saturday. They were guiding running back David Smith around campus on his official visit.

Sounds like they really like David Smith.

(http://normantranscript.com/sports/x1467875275/Is-Brent-Venables-checking-out-job-prospects)http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-David-Smith-123685

Watch this kid....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmTlTlfaNB0

northspeter
1/15/2012, 05:50 PM
Norman Transcript....

http://normantranscript.com/sports/x1467875275/Is-Brent-Venables-checking-out-job-prospects

Sounds like they really like David Smith.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-David-Smith-123685 (http://normantranscript.com/sports/x1467875275/Is-Brent-Venables-checking-out-job-prospects)

he's deciding on tuesday between ou and wvu...

PalmettoSooner
1/15/2012, 05:52 PM

I wouldn't pay too much attention to that website. They like to jump the gun on stories.

StoopTroup
1/15/2012, 06:05 PM
he's deciding on tuesday between ou and wvu...

Did you see the video? That last play on the YouTube was awesome and the move he makes at around 1:43 is great too. High Stepping it into the EZ....lol

SoonerMom2
1/15/2012, 06:07 PM
Think this whole exercise is hilarious. Love seeing what our sports media is going to report next and 15 minutes later change what they reported. Cannot believe the Tulsa World used the Clemson Insider to report Venerables had taken the job. Made me laugh. Guess we will know soon enough and then the speculation can begin in earnest if he is leaving who will be the linebacker's coach! The sports media will have a field day!

StoopTroup
1/15/2012, 06:07 PM
I wouldn't pay too much attention to that website. They like to jump the gun on stories.

I thought the same thing. It sounds like it's written by some really wishful thinking.

SoonerMom2
1/15/2012, 06:09 PM

I agree with you after looking at the site but there is a news article in the Tulsa World now that used that site for their source. :)

StoopTroup
1/15/2012, 06:09 PM
Think this whole exercise is hilarious. Love seeing what our sports media is going to report next and 15 minutes later change what they reported. Cannot believe the Tulsa World used the Clemson Insider to report Venerables had taken the job. Made me laugh. Guess we will know soon enough and then the speculation can begin in earnest if he is leaving who will be the linebacker's coach! The sports media will have a field day!

Sittler is out trying to low jack Mike's Vehicle to see if he's gonna pick Brent up at the Airport or if Brent has to take a cab back to Norman.....lol

The Cab means Brent is going to Clemson....ROTF.

SoonerMom2
1/15/2012, 06:44 PM
ROFLOL!!! That is too funny on Sittler!

ashley
1/15/2012, 08:06 PM
100%, er, I change to 50%.

chad
1/15/2012, 09:23 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?Report_Venables_takes_Clemson_DC_j ob/12-13783 --

Tulsa World reporting that Venables has taken the DC position at Clemson per Clemson insider as he has spent the weekend there visiting the facilities and meeting with recruits.

Now who replaces Venerables?

Confirmed this with a high paying iptay member that said he was looking at houses over the weekend. Brent is gone

85sooners
1/15/2012, 09:49 PM
Confirmed this with a high paying iptay member that said he was looking at houses over the weekend. Brent is gone:excitement:

StoopTroup
1/15/2012, 10:18 PM
Houses in Norman....They are so confused they are gonna buy him a house here as they think he's gonna commute.....LMAO

StoopTroup
1/16/2012, 12:17 AM
Venables denies he has accepted Clemson job

By GUERIN EMIG and JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writers (http://www.tulsaworld.com/site/authors.aspx?a=GUERIN-EMIG-AND-JOHN-E.-HOOVER-S)
Published: 1/15/2012 2:49 PM
Last Modified: 1/15/2012 10:29 PM

BETHANY — University of Oklahoma defensive coordinator Brent Venables was back on Oklahoma soil Sunday night after a weekend checking into the defensive coordinator job at Clemson.

Met by reporters when he stepped off the airplane, Venables had no comment other than to deny a report from earlier in the day that he had accepted the job.

Venables flew on a private aircraft that flew from Clemson, S.C., to Oklahoma. He landed at Wiley Post Airport near Oklahoma City at just after 9:45 p.m. Sunday.

Venables, 41, spent most of the weekend at the South Carolina school touring the facilities and even meeting recruits.

Sunday afternoon, a report posted on the website TheClemsonInsider.com, citing multiple unnamed sources “close to the situation,” indicated that Swinney “got his man” and that the hiring was confirmed and would be formally announced later in the week.

However, sources tell the Tulsa World that Clemson coach Dabo Swinney wants to interview former Miami (Fla.) head coach Randy Shannon before making his final decision.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20120115_92_0_Oklaho7229

OUmillenium
1/16/2012, 01:12 AM
This thread has lifted my spirits about OU defense. Goodbye 10 yd DB cushion, goodbye 3 man rush overuse, goodbye lack of coaching up DBs. Hello physicality

JiminyChristmas
1/16/2012, 10:20 AM
I hope he stays. I hope the other jobs all of a sudden are just posturing to help get him a salary bump at OU.

badger
1/16/2012, 10:26 AM
An interesting perspective here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?Venables_choice_OU_or_Clemson._Loy alty_or_pride./12-13787)

He asked me what I had heard, and I told him that someone thought Pelini was coming in to be co-coordinator, help scheme and play-call.

Venables absorbed the information, and he glared at me as if I was his middle linebacker who'd just shot the wrong gap on an 80-yard touchdown run.

Even if we don't make Brent Venables money, I think we can all understand if Brent Venables was upset (or is upset now) about sharing defensive control with another coach. You think you've earned a top position at your company by paying your dues, being loyal and being patient, only to have a boss you admire, respect and trust to tell you "sorry."

PrideMom
1/16/2012, 10:57 AM
If I were Venables, I would look hard at the entire program at Clemson. Will they be a National Championship contender? Money isn't everything, if your family isn't happy you are not going to be.....

badger
1/16/2012, 11:01 AM
One thing's for sure, a decision has to be made soon. Feb. 1 = signing day. Recruits might not commit to a program if they don't think the guy who recruited them is going to be there.

StoopTroup
1/16/2012, 12:40 PM
An interesting perspective here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?Venables_choice_OU_or_Clemson._Loy alty_or_pride./12-13787)

Even if we don't make Brent Venables money, I think we can all understand if Brent Venables was upset (or is upset now) about sharing defensive control with another coach. You think you've earned a top position at your company by paying your dues, being loyal and being patient, only to have a boss you admire, respect and trust to tell you "sorry."

Let's be a bit more real about this though Badger....Bob didn't probably say "Sorry" to Brent and if Brent feels slighted in any way don't you think they would sit down and really talk about it? I mean....Bob said he felt everything was going to work out fine and that Mike and Brent were off to do recruiting the Day he announced Mike was coming back to OU. Now....some other things take place like Brent going up to Clemson and Mike not being with Brent but I think a lot of folks felt like Bob was telling them that Mike and Brent were going recruiting together which obviously didn't happen when Mike showed up at the Thunder Game.

Now Brent is back in Norman saying he hasn't accepted the Clemson job.

Is it because he wasn't offered the Clemson Job?

Is he really pissed off Clemson wasted his time again by not being ready to make him an offer that was better than what he told them he'd be interested in? We know that Bob is OK with his Coaches talking to anyone that would offer his Coaches a move up in their career.

This is were so many people start with the idea that Brent is upset with Bob's decision to bring Mike back I guess. Folks think that Brent went to Clemson because he was looking for a DC Job that was all his own. Along with that he's looking for not only more money I'd think but also a Program that should he win a Conference Championship and get Clemson into at least a BCS Bowl Game that he would become Head Coaching Material pretty quick. Obviously Brent has friends like Bob did that he could bring with him if he was to become a Head Coach. That said....why aren't we hearing Clemson has him as their next DC instead of this "We are going to talk to 4 Candidates. (Brent, Shannon and two others?)

Dabo doesn't sound like he's got his stuff together enough to land Brent IMO and maybe he's just not seeing that Brent is the guy he thinks he is either.

The head coach said he wants Clemson to keep the same attacking style it had under Steele — Clemson had the ACC sacks leader the past two seasons with Da’Quan Bowers in 2010 and Andre Branch this season.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/dabo-swinney-he-and-former-clemson-defensive-coordinator-steele-had-philosophical-differences/2012/01/13/gIQAmAXLwP_story.html

At the end of this.....I still feel like Brent will remain at OU unless someone else suddenly is on the radar looking at Brent for their School.

badger
1/16/2012, 12:53 PM
Let's be a bit more real about this though Badger....Bob didn't probably say "Sorry" to Brent and if Brent feels slighted in any way don't you think they would sit down and really talk about it? I mean....Bob said he felt everything was going to work out fine and that Mike and Brent were off to do recruiting the Day he announced Mike was coming back to OU. Now....some other things take place like Brent going up to Clemson and Mike not being with Brent but I think a lot of folks felt like Bob was telling them that Mike and Brent were going recruiting together which obviously didn't happen when Mike showed up at the Thunder Game.

Something about this whole situation does not pass the smell test, I think that much we can agree on.

I don't know much about Brent personally, other than what I've seen publicly or read from various reports from fans or media or wherever. I was just trying to understand his perspective in this whole coaching rumor mess that inconveniently is going on two weeks before signing day.

I wish that something solid that we could all see without doubt would be said or done publicly, like Brent, Mike and Bob all sitting down in the same press conference laughing and being on the same page, or a photo of Mike and Brent having a beer together, or even just a media release with plausible info that doesn't get discounted within a day or two.

BoulderSooner79
1/16/2012, 12:58 PM
Clemson has the same signing day issue to deal with, so I can't imagine this situation lasting more than another day or 2.

EatLeadCommie
1/16/2012, 01:04 PM
That Brent is even entertaining these offers is very telling. I say fare thee well, Brent, but make up your damn mind so the staff can adjust accordingly.

The BXII is pretty much exclusively a spread offense league these days, and BV is better equipped taking his skills to the ACC where he won't have to face those kinds of offenses. I think he'd thrive there, plus he'd get a chance to establish himself as HC material again and get out from Bob's shadow. Maybe he finally realized that he wasn't a shoo-in to replace Bob when he finally retires.

OULenexaman
1/16/2012, 01:06 PM
Dabo....what a weird name.

Fraggle145
1/16/2012, 01:09 PM
Well think about it if Mike comes back and things get better then Brent doesnt look very good.

Double your salary is a lot of money even if it is Clemson - who consistently makes an *** out of itself when they are expected to do well.

If he can do well it might give him a chance to get out of the Stoops shadow and move up to HC.

And he would likely never take over at OU as the head coach. There is a lot of fan anger towards him (some justified, some not) and I just dont see this happening.

badger
1/16/2012, 01:25 PM

He's been about as hyper as Brent on the sidelines too in some of those postgame pressers with ESPN this past season. Can you image he and Brent going berserk on the same sideline? Might make the ACC a lot more entertaining :D

That said, I'd like him to stay but would understand if he went. Good luck!

PalmettoSooner
1/16/2012, 01:26 PM

and a weird guy

EatLeadCommie
1/16/2012, 01:51 PM
The only reason I might NOT take that job if I'm BV is Dabo will likely be out of a job within 5 years and BV would be gone with him unless he's promoted from within.

OULenexaman
1/16/2012, 02:17 PM
the main reason I woundn't take it is Dabo is good at making knee jerk reactions..

PalmettoSooner
1/16/2012, 02:59 PM
believe it or not but BV has better coaching experience than Dabo.

soonerlaw
1/16/2012, 03:20 PM
What do you guys think are the chances of Mike Stoops getting HC offers in next year or two, espcially if we do well (as I expect we will) next year? One thing can be said, BV has been loyal to the program. Then again, I bet OU wouldn't have any shortage of candidates in hiring a new DC.

StoopTroup
1/16/2012, 03:40 PM
I wish that something solid that we could all see without doubt would be said or done publicly, like Brent, Mike and Bob all sitting down in the same press conference laughing and being on the same page, or a photo of Mike and Brent having a beer together, or even just a media release with plausible info that doesn't get discounted within a day or two.

I agree with this.

StoopTroup
1/16/2012, 03:46 PM
That Brent is even entertaining these offers is very telling. I say fare thee well, Brent, but make up your damn mind so the staff can adjust accordingly.

All the reports have Clemson saying they are interviewing 4 guys for the job so it doesn't seem to be Brent needing to make up his mind, especially when he came Home last night saying he's not saying whether he's been offered or taking the Clemson Job. That to me says that maybe he did meet with them but they didn't make an offer or he told them to give him a call when they get to $1,000,000 or whatever numbers that might have possibly been tossed around.

UberSooner
1/16/2012, 04:12 PM
Did you READ the press release? This doesn't sound like "Brent is going through the motions" speak to me...
It sounds like Brent's here through next year, at least.

Yes I read it. I guess we'll see.

SoonerMom2
1/16/2012, 05:35 PM
Mike and Venables were seen leaving Will Rogers on Friday around noon and in the Tampa area on Saturday as they were at the airport flying to ATL and then back to OKC where Venerables picked up his wife and they flew out to Clemson on a private flight late Saturday afternoon while Mike went to the Thunder game Saturday night.

That is the timeline as they did go recruiting Friday together.

UberSooner
1/16/2012, 06:15 PM
Bottom line is this: our D.C./Asst. Head coach just interviewed for a lateral hire. Does anybody think that happens had M. Stoops not been hired? We've got problems on the coaching staff. Maybe they get worked out but as of right now Venables dont like the M. Stoops hire. Some could argue that its a ploy to get V. more money but that's a stretch because B. Stoops has not had any problems in the past getting his assistants paid. I'm in the camp that doesn't think M. Stoops is a demonstrable upgrade at D.C. but I hope now that V. takes another gig. This is the first time I've been dissappointed in a Stoops hire. If Bob really felt that he needed new direction on D, he should have looked at who was out there that would bring the elements he thought needed to be addressed. I don't for a minute think he did that and decided, wow, this is great, after fully evaluating the available hires, it turns out my Bro. is the best.

tulsaoilerfan
1/16/2012, 06:54 PM
He needs to **** or get off the pot

oumartin
1/16/2012, 06:58 PM
No **** there is problems on the coaching staff. One is about to be gone maybe.

Breadburner
1/16/2012, 07:12 PM
You are a fool if your not entertaining offers....

8timechamps
1/16/2012, 07:20 PM
According to ESPN, BV is denying that he accepted the job at Clemson:

Click here for the story (http://espn.go.com/blog/colleges/oklahoma/post/_/id/4194/venables-denies-he-has-accepted-clemson-job)

If BV has accepted the job, I suspect they are delaying any announcement until after national signing day (Feb 1), as BV has been a key contact for several defensive prospects.

We'll see, but I think he's gone.

SoonerMom2
1/16/2012, 07:36 PM
It would be a $400,000+ upgrade at Clemson in a conference where his defensive schemes would allow him to shine. Mike Stoops has deferred to Venerables making the play calls and he is still the Assistant Head Coach so I think some of you are overblowing the perceived problems. From all accounts he continued to talk to Mike when he went to AZ. This is more about Venerables getting more experience under a different coach. Stoops left K-State for Florida and then came here as our head coach. It would have been easy to stay as a coach for Snyder but he left for FL to get more experience just like he left Iowa. That's what coaches do who want to get ahead. It doesn't always work out but when you can double your salary you have to weigh that against stability where you are.

SoonerMom2
1/16/2012, 07:38 PM
BTW, I think the recruiting trip on Friday to Florida was to introduce Mike to a recruit(s). I agree I think he is gone the way the recruits at Clemson talked. Rumors had the head coach interviewing Shannon at Clemson today but the head coach was out recruiting and not even on campus. Their rumors are no better than ours from the media!

8timechamps
1/16/2012, 08:23 PM
BTW, I think the recruiting trip on Friday to Florida was to introduce Mike to a recruit(s). I agree I think he is gone the way the recruits at Clemson talked. Rumors had the head coach interviewing Shannon at Clemson today but the head coach was out recruiting and not even on campus. Their rumors are no better than ours from the media!

I think the call to Randy Shannon was to meet the NCAA quota on minority coaching interviews. As for BV, I agree with what you said. Personally, I've always been a BV fan, and would hate to see him go. However, he needs to do what's best for him and his family, and getting some experience at a school he interviewed to become the head coach is a good opportunity for him.

BoulderSooner79
1/16/2012, 08:27 PM
According to ESPN, BV is denying that he accepted the job at Clemson:

Click here for the story (http://espn.go.com/blog/colleges/oklahoma/post/_/id/4194/venables-denies-he-has-accepted-clemson-job)

If BV has accepted the job, I suspect they are delaying any announcement until after national signing day (Feb 1), as BV has been a key contact for several defensive prospects....

Clemson (or any other school) would never allow that because they are on the clock too. They will announce their new DC as soon as he signs the contract.

MichiganSooner
1/16/2012, 08:38 PM
This thread has lifted my spirits about OU defense. Goodbye 10 yd DB cushion, goodbye 3 man rush overuse, goodbye lack of coaching up DBs. Hello physicality

Are you really sure about the above?

8timechamps
1/16/2012, 09:18 PM
Clemson (or any other school) would never allow that because they are on the clock too. They will announce their new DC as soon as he signs the contract.

Not true. If Clemson really wants Stoops, it could be an understood thing. It's happened plenty in the past. Clemson doesn't stand to gain nearly as much as OU stands to lose (as far as recruiting).

StoopTroup
1/16/2012, 09:38 PM
That's what coaches do who want to get ahead. It doesn't always work out but when you can double your salary you have to weigh that against stability where you are.

He's gonna double his salary here by just Interviewing at Clemson so he is gonna get a raise and stay with Bob and Mike and if the Sooners Defense is ranked high again next year and the Team has a great year next Season, Brent will get enough Credit from just having worked with two Stoops Brothers who have both been Head Coaches and both believed in his ability to not only develop great defensive players but be an Assistant Coach under one of the most successful Head Coaches in Div IA.

BoulderSooner79
1/16/2012, 10:14 PM
Not true. If Clemson really wants Stoops, it could be an understood thing. It's happened plenty in the past. Clemson doesn't stand to gain nearly as much as OU stands to lose (as far as recruiting).

I disagree. We have a DC for sure - Mike Stoops, whether co-DC with Venables or not. Clemson is without a declared DC at the moment and I'm sure their fans (i.e. big donors) want to see this resolved.

sooner ngintunr
1/16/2012, 11:41 PM
He's gonna double his salary here by just Interviewing at Clemson so he is gonna get a raise and stay with Bob and Mike and if the Sooners Defense is ranked high again next year and the Team has a great year next Season, Brent will get enough Credit from just having worked with two Stoops Brothers who have both been Head Coaches and both believed in his ability to not only develop great defensive players but be an Assistant Coach under one of the most successful Head Coaches in Div IA.

Ranked high again next year? whaaatt?! Our defense sucked donkey dick this year.

If our defense is improved next year Mike will get all of the credit. Its a lose lose for Brent, he should bail. Its a no brainer. The Clemson offer seems very solid.

SoonerMom2
1/16/2012, 11:44 PM
Looks like they went to see Striker as he is the only I see from FL and the only linebacker. He was recruited by Venables. This would make sense for Mike Stoops to meet this recruit. According to various media outlets, Mike Stoops has been reaching out to defense players so he can get a feel for him. One of the DB guys already on campus cannot wait to play for Mike.

Most of our recruits over at Sooner Scoop are on the offense or JC who are already signed and on campus. We have a DE and a DB plus Striker on defense who have committed -- we are not going to lose either one of those if Venerables leaves.

StoopTroup
1/17/2012, 12:18 AM
Ranked high again next year? whaaatt?! Our defense sucked donkey dick this year.

If our defense is improved next year Mike will get all of the credit. Its a lose lose for Brent, he should bail. Its a no brainer. The Clemson offer seems very solid.

If I was only talking about the 2011-2012 Season....you might have a point. As Mike and Brent have both fielded decent Defenses...either together or after Mike left....I am being maybe a bit optimistic about next year but it's based on the fact that for now...Mike and Brent will indeed be working together again next year and that OU might really throw the oppositions we face next year some real curveballs.

Thanks for playing....

8timechamps
1/17/2012, 01:33 AM
I disagree. We have a DC for sure - Mike Stoops, whether co-DC with Venables or not. Clemson is without a declared DC at the moment and I'm sure their fans (i.e. big donors) want to see this resolved.

But, deep down inside....you know I'm RIGHT! :)

8timechamps
1/17/2012, 01:35 AM
Looks like they went to see Striker as he is the only I see from FL and the only linebacker. He was recruited by Venables. This would make sense for Mike Stoops to meet this recruit. According to various media outlets, Mike Stoops has been reaching out to defense players so he can get a feel for him. One of the DB guys already on campus cannot wait to play for Mike.

Most of our recruits over at Sooner Scoop are on the offense or JC who are already signed and on campus. We have a DE and a DB plus Striker on defense who have committed -- we are not going to lose either one of those if Venerables leaves.

I would think if a recruit has a good relationship with BV, then they'll have the same type of relationship with Mike. Also, I do think BV would go above and beyond to make sure and represent OU in the most positive way possible until he's gone.

There are a lot of recruits that are still undecided (among the defensive targets). I just posted an update over on the recruiting board (I'm going to try and update daily). Eddie Goldman is a huge DT prospect, and BV has been in on him. Nonetheless, I think BV will help make things smooth (assuming he's already made a decision to go).

UberSooner
1/17/2012, 09:35 AM
If I was only talking about the 2011-2012 Season....you might have a point. As Mike and Brent have both fielded decent Defenses...either together or after Mike left....I am being maybe a bit optimistic about next year but it's based on the fact that for now...Mike and Brent will indeed be working together again next year and that OU might really throw the oppositions we face next year some real curveballs.

Thanks for playing....

I don't understand your logic. Our D was poor this year under coach V. Next year, lets say we're awesome and throw some curveballs as you suggest with coach M. Stoops calling the D. How could that possibly benefit Coach V. proffessionally. If they suck, he still sucks. If they improve its because M. Stoops is back. I would be out of here before the ink was dry on a deal.

Curly Bill
1/17/2012, 09:58 AM
Thank you God.............And Curly Bill.

:)

Curly Bill
1/17/2012, 10:03 AM
I don't understand your logic. Our D was poor this year under coach V. Next year, lets say we're awesome and throw some curveballs as you suggest with coach M. Stoops calling the D. How could that possibly benefit Coach V. proffessionally. If they suck, he still sucks. If they improve its because M. Stoops is back. I would be out of here before the ink was dry on a deal.

Your first mistake was assuming ST bases anything off of logic.

En_Fuego
1/17/2012, 05:59 PM
:)

Maybe we can get a sack next year ?

StoopTroup
1/17/2012, 06:01 PM

I'm gonna try once more...

I wasn't talking about last year.

I'm talking about next year and comparing the years when Mike and Brent worked together. Last year was a mess due to injuries and that Willie Martinez wasn't either a good fit as our Secondary Coach or he just didn't get it done fast enough and Bob had the opportunity to replace him with his Brother rather than see if another year with Willie would produce improvements.

Now....I know you and everyone else seems to think Mike will be the main difference in our Defense and that Venables will suddenly take a backseat to Mike...

I think it's possible that might happen but you don't really know that for sure as Bob would have to be willing to allow Mike to make serious changes in our Defensive Scheme for you to be right. Once that happens....I'll be onboard about it but I think it only takes place unless Bob has no choice and Brent leaves OU. The smart thing to do IMO is let MIke get himself set and feeling like he's back at Home....getting a secondary that will help Brent's Defense and then if we are successful....Brent can move on to a Head Coaching job.

If Brent isn't successful with Mike running the Secondary and assisting him on the Defense....then Bob and Mike can insert a new Scheme and Brent can follow right along hoping to learn a bit more and realize that the game has changed and that he needs to learn to be more flexible and less resistant to change.

I'm betting there is no way our Defense sucks next year and you and whoever can go right on ahead and declare Mike was the difference....But I bet you hear Bob saying Venables and Mike's changes just show how damn good we were in 2000 and 2001 when he had them both and that he's one of the luckiest damn Coaches in Div IA to have been able to have them both on the Staff in 2012.

8timechamps
1/17/2012, 06:08 PM
I'm gonna try once more...

I wasn't talking about last year.

I'm talking about next year and comparing the years when Mike and Brent worked together. Last year was a mess due to injuries and that Willie Martinez wasn't either a good fit as our Secondary Coach or he just didn't get it done fast enough and Bob had the opportunity to replace him with his Brother rather than see if another year with Willie would produce improvements.

Now....I know you and everyone else seems to think Mike will be the main difference in our Defense and that Venables will suddenly take a backseat to Mike...

I think it's possible that might happen but you don't really know that for sure as Bob would have to be willing to allow Mike to make serious changes in our Defensive Scheme for you to be right. Once that happens....I'll be onboard about it but I think it only takes place unless Bob has no choice and Brent leaves OU. The smart thing to do IMO is let MIke get himself set and feeling like he's back at Home....getting a secondary that will help Brent's Defense and then if we are successful....Brent can move on to a Head Coaching job.

If Brent isn't successful with Mike running the Secondary and assisting him on the Defense....then Bob and Mike can insert a new Scheme and Brent can follow right along hoping to learn a bit more and realize that the game has changed and that he needs to learn to be more flexible and less resistant to change.

I'm betting there is no way our Defense sucks next year and you and whoever can go right on ahead and declare Mike was the difference....But I bet you hear Bob saying Venables and Mike's changes just show how damn good we were in 2000 and 2001 when he had them both and that he's one of the luckiest damn Coaches in Div IA to have been able to have them both on the Staff in 2012.

I'm following you, but you are overlooking one thing...BV won't be here next year unfortunately.

StoopTroup
1/17/2012, 06:15 PM
Your first mistake was assuming ST bases anything off of logic.

What's cool is being able to actually see a lot of our Games in person instead of what the TV feeds you. It allows some folks to spend some time listening to not only what folks who live in Norman and Oklahoma are saying but really put together things that are visible to the eye. Watching games at the Stadium allow you to see what's going on on the sidelines and really pay attention to things you don't see on TV Bill.

Once you go home and tear down the video 2 or three times, maybe watch the Bob Stoops Show and what he talks about good and bad and even take in some of the things this and other message boards talk about from others that are serious Fans that really spend more time than the time it takes to watch a game on TV....You are absolutely right. Logic is only part of why I post the things I do.

Thanks for the nice complement.

StoopTroup
1/17/2012, 06:20 PM
I'm following you, but you are overlooking one thing...BV won't be here next year unfortunately.

Ain't it funny how things can change from one moment to the other. I'm guessing you are basing that on Jenni's latest article?

http://newsok.com/brent-venables-catch-22-comfort-or-more-money/article/3640881

Maybe Dean's Twitter feed.

http://twitter.com/#!/DeanBlevins (http://newsok.com/brent-venables-catch-22-comfort-or-more-money/article/3640881)

En_Fuego
1/17/2012, 06:22 PM
What's cool is being able to actually see a lot of our Games in person instead of what the TV feeds you. It allows some folks to spend some time listening to not only what folks who live in Norman and Oklahoma are saying but really put together things that are visible to the eye. Watching games at the Stadium allow you to see what's going on on the sidelines and really pay attention to things you don't see on TV Bill.

Once you go home and tear down the video 2 or three times, maybe watch the Bob Stoops Show and what he talks about good and bad and even take in some of the things this and other message boards talk about from others that are serious Fans that really spend more time than the time it takes to watch a game on TV....You are absolutely right. Logic is only part of why I post the things I do.

Yo...Don't argue with a man....:texan:

StoopTroup
1/17/2012, 06:24 PM
Yo...Don't argue with a man....:texan:

http://blippitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Funny-Real-Men-Demotivational-Poster.jpg

8timechamps
1/17/2012, 06:28 PM
Ain't it funny how things can change from one moment to the other. I'm guessing you are basing that on Jenni's latest article?

http://newsok.com/brent-venables-catch-22-comfort-or-more-money/article/3640881

Maybe Dean's Twitter feed.
http://twitter.com/#!/DeanBlevins (http://newsok.com/brent-venables-catch-22-comfort-or-more-money/article/3640881)

No, I was basing it only on what I know for sure (that he interviewed for the job, and has shown interest in the Clemson program in the past). I hope he doesn't go, but I can also understand how it could be a good opportunity for his future in the profession. I'd love to see what he and Mike could do together again.

8timechamps
1/17/2012, 06:30 PM
Incidentally, what in the **** does this even mean?

DeanBlevins Dean Blevins
#OU hopes recrutinting services wrong: RB David Smith commits--the 38th-ranked RB in the nation & No. 11 recruit in #Illinois. #Sooners

1. What is a "recrutinting" service?

and

2. Why do we hope they're wrong?

oudavid1
1/17/2012, 06:33 PM
Im in the Venables should do what is best for him and his family camp.

StoopTroup
1/17/2012, 06:53 PM
No, I was basing it only on what I know for sure (that he interviewed for the job, and has shown interest in the Clemson program in the past). I hope he doesn't go, but I can also understand how it could be a good opportunity for his future in the profession. I'd love to see what he and Mike could do together again.

Yeah....yeah....

Brent showed interest in the Head Coaching job. That was over 3 years ago. You seriously think he's interested in Clemson? I think he was really interested if he indeed did go down there for an interview this last week. The thing is....I don't think he's as interested as folks think as if they did interview him for the job, I think they would have had to convince him to come down there which means they threw something sweet enough to get his attention or he went to sweeten his deal with OU and maybe tell Dabo what he thought about some of his recruits and see if he felt he could live with Dabo's ideas about changing his Defensive Scheme and if the money was right. There's little doubt that Brent wouldn't leave a program that competes for a Conference Championship every year and some years a National Championship for less money than Bob is offering him to stay and nothing but complete control of the defense. If Brent was in trouble with Bob....then I'd maybe think differently but I don't think Bob is trying to get rid of him. Bob seems to be trying to keep him.

Curly is the one that seems to want him gone.

oumartin
1/17/2012, 07:00 PM
Holy Heck, make up your mind already.
Sheesh,

En_Fuego
1/17/2012, 07:05 PM
BV=Has Issues

En_Fuego
1/17/2012, 07:06 PM
BV-will never be a Head Coach

En_Fuego
1/17/2012, 07:08 PM
BV=A bad morning wondering what went wrong.

MichiganSooner
1/17/2012, 07:29 PM
Al Jerkens just reported on channel 2 in Tulsa that there is an opening for D coordinator at K-State. I could see Brent taking that job and getting promoted to Head Coach when Bill Snyder retires again. Those who do not like Brent's defense may get something they never wished for-having to play against his defense and team.

northspeter
1/17/2012, 08:18 PM
brent missed a scheduled in home visit with ath. daniel brooks tonite.. bob made the trip and indications are daniel is solid with the sooners...

StoopTroup
1/17/2012, 08:29 PM
He looks OK. We've signed two RBs already that look as good if not better than Brooks but I like the idea of Bob seeing him than Venables anyway. If I had been a solid verbal commit to OU since March...I'd be tickled pink if Bob came to see me right before signing day. Lots more than the Defensive Asst Head Coach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1fzCKKEKbU

StoopTroup
1/17/2012, 08:34 PM
Al Jerkens just reported on channel 2 in Tulsa that there is an opening for D coordinator at K-State. I could see Brent taking that job and getting promoted to Head Coach when Bill Snyder retires again. Those who do not like Brent's defense may get something they never wished for-having to play against his defense and team.

Just saw that pop up. If they are interested in Brent being Head Coach after Snyder retires again....you'd think Bob would really be on trying to keep Brent now that we no longer have a North and South Division in the Big XII. Knowing that for now...you'll be up against one of your closest assts next year as well as every year until who knows when....

Well I'm not sure that would set to well with me if I were Bob.

http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2012/01/17/ou-football-would-brent-venables-consider-kansas-state/

UberSooner
1/17/2012, 09:08 PM

You didn't need to try and explain it again. You suggest that staying is better for his career because he will have demonstrated that by working with Mike under Bob on two occassions, his stock will rise. Never mind those years when Mike was gone and the defense, under his single command, necessitated in the head coaches mind, a re-hire of Mike to bring things back to D productivity. There is no way to spin that to a positive H.C. opportunity. None. "Your words are weak like a frail old woman's" (see 13th warrior).

I'm giving you crap. I get what you're saying but I couldn't disagree more with you assesment. Staying is bad for B. professionally no matter what happens now. All I can say is we better be awesome on D next year with B. gone or there will some splainin to do.

StoopTroup
1/17/2012, 09:15 PM
I'm giving you crap.

You know....I figured that's probably what you were doing but I politely answered your questions any as it's easy to just start throwing obscenities at each other.

I guess this kind of approach makes you feel justified in giving another Sooner Fan a bunch of crap?

**** Off DIP****!

Lets get it straight too.

I said that Mike will be working with Brent's D....not the other way around Dumb****

Pathetic piece of crap.

UberSooner
1/17/2012, 09:37 PM
You know....I figured that's probably what you were doing but I politely answered your questions any as it's easy to just start throwing obscenities at each other.

I guess this kind of approach makes you feel justified in giving another Sooner Fan a bunch of crap?

**** Off DIP****!

Lets get it straight too.

I said that Mike will be working with Brent's D....not the other way around Dumb****

Pathetic piece of crap.

You need professional help. The only crap I gave you was the 13th warrior quote. Everything else was a ligitimate critique of your assesment of the situation. You're either 12 or an idiot. Tell your mom i'm sorry i worked you up. Getting you to bed will be a chore.

StoopTroup
1/17/2012, 09:39 PM
You need professional help. The only crap I gave you was the 13th warrior quote. Everything else was a ligitimate critique of your assesment of the situation. You're either 12 or an idiot. Tell your mom i'm sorry i worked you up. Getting you to bed will be a chore.

So now your crackhead *** wants to argue about how much crap you gave me?

I need professional help?

I do if you think I'm gonna take any crap from you.

We talk Football in this Forum. You want to talk crap? Go over to the Smack Forum.

northspeter
1/17/2012, 10:23 PM
He looks OK. We've signed two RBs already that look as good if not better than Brooks but I like the idea of Bob seeing him than Venables anyway. If I had been a solid verbal commit to OU since March...I'd be tickled pink if Bob came to see me right before signing day. Lots more than the Defensive Asst Head Coach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1fzCKKEKbU

Brooks is more likely a db or slot receiver, he won't be a rb in college

StoopTroup
1/17/2012, 10:33 PM
Brooks is more likely a db or slot receiver, he won't be a rb in college

I agree. We do tend to see a lot of guys that play both sides of the ball in HS make positions changes. Matter of fact....I noticed a bunch even do it after they get to OU. That's why you see a lot of folks calling many of these kids Athletes instead of QB, RB etc. Just never know where any of them might land if they kill on O and D in HS.

I love seeing the kids like this as they aren't always the ones that seem to get a huge ego.

UberSooner
1/17/2012, 10:48 PM
So now your crackhead *** wants to argue about how much crap you gave me?

I need professional help?

I do if you think I'm gonna take any crap from you.

We talk Football in this Forum. You want to talk crap? Go over to the Smack Forum.

Dear Stoop, let me first apologize. I am soooooo not talking smak, if i did it would sincerely hurt you feelings. If I offended, I am seriously sorry. It was not my intention to talk more than just a little smak for your condescending " let me explain it again" intro, apparently for those too dense to pick up on your deep insight the first pass. Henceforth, I will refrain from even the moribund smaklike repartee in our correspondence. Again, sorry.

Curly Bill
1/18/2012, 08:44 AM

You're a regular coach now ST, you know..watching the games in person and all! Tearing down video, why I bet you're even helping Schmitty prepare workout plans now huh? You've said some funny things lately, usually not on purpose, but this post is right up there. Tear down the video 2 or 3 times - you crack me up.