PDA

View Full Version : Which defensive player will benefit most from Mike's return?

8timechamps
1/12/2012, 08:43 PM
Just read an interview with Derrick Strait, and he talks about the attitude that Mike brings to the defense and how good he is/was at making things simple so players never second guess or think too much about what their doing. With that in mind, I was thinking about which player would benefit the most from Mike's coaching style.

My initial thought is Gabe Lynn. I've seen Gabe make some athletic plays, so he has the talent. Of course we all saw him get beat deep this season, so there's that too.

Thoughts?

goingoneight
1/12/2012, 09:40 PM
Javon Harris and Gabe Lynn were about the only "goats" from last year as far as I remember. And they were pulled. They'll certainly be needed; so hopefully Mike can work some magic and not be another whoopsie hire/rehire.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/12/2012, 09:43 PM
Tony Jefferson

goingoneight
1/12/2012, 10:15 PM
I hear on the SA that Mike was quoted as saying earlier in the year that he "loved" Tony Jefferson. Maybe the Mike/TJ relationship can help us get our next TRRW?

StoopTroup
1/12/2012, 10:34 PM
Tom Wort IMO. He seems like Rocky and Teddy IMO. I think Mike locks onto him and shows him how to not only be an All-American....but also how to lead the Defense.

BoulderSooner79
1/12/2012, 10:42 PM
Mike will kick back and share a little weed with McGee.

goingoneight
1/12/2012, 11:00 PM
Are Wort and McGee going to play safety or corner?

SoonerMom2
1/12/2012, 11:26 PM
Keep reading that Venerable had detailed defensive schemes that a lot of players had trouble grasping while Stoops was always there for questions from the players and was good at making it simple but very good -- they knew where they were supposed to be unlike what we have been seeing with the defensive backfield out of place. Firmly believe Bob Stoops is making the right move.

sooneron
1/12/2012, 11:54 PM
I'd say TJ & Colvin

8timechamps
1/13/2012, 12:08 AM
Tony Jefferson

While I think Mike having TJ is probably like getting to drive a Ferrari, I meant more about the coaching aspect (as far as improving).

sooneron
1/13/2012, 12:16 AM
Believe me, they ALL have room to improve.

Fraggle145
1/13/2012, 01:29 AM
Just read an interview with Derrick Strait, and he talks about the attitude that Mike brings to the defense and how good he is/was at making things simple so players never second guess or think too much about what their doing. With that in mind, I was thinking about which player would benefit the most from Mike's coaching style.

My initial thought is Gabe Lynn. I've seen Gabe make some athletic plays, so he has the talent. Of course we all saw him get beat deep this season, so there's that too.

Thoughts?

Link?

cvsooner
1/13/2012, 02:06 AM
Link?
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/43922/qa-derrick-strait-talks-about-mike-stoops

Eielson
1/13/2012, 02:45 AM
Since everybody else has been mentioned already, I'm just going to say Corey Nelson for fun.

Curly Bill
1/13/2012, 12:06 PM
Tony Jefferson

stoops the eternal pimp
1/13/2012, 12:11 PM
While I think Mike having TJ is probably like getting to drive a Ferrari, I meant more about the coaching aspect (as far as improving).

That doesn't change my answer..Tony Jefferson has lots of room to improve himself and still one of the best defensive players out there.

StoopTroup
1/13/2012, 01:04 PM
I said Wort because I think the words "Benefit Most" are key to this discussion and Tony has already showed his versatility and ability to not only play multiple positions but understand them and be a threat at those positions.

Wort I believe should have been left as the Defense Leader and allowed to flourish instead of Travis being allowed to step back into the role to improve his NFL stock. I don't think Travis ever got back to 100% this year and it was a disservice to him and the Team by putting him back in charge when he needed to be able to just concentrate on overcoming his short comings after his injury.

Tom is my guy as far as our next years Defensive Leaders go. I think he really has the attitude and ability to be a big disrupter on D...especially with a guy like Tony around.

Curly Bill
1/13/2012, 01:09 PM
I think Tony can be a beast with Mike around, I'm just not sold on Wort as being "all that." I'm not sold on any of our linebackers as being "all that."

SoonerTerry
1/13/2012, 01:11 PM
Which defensive player will benefit most from Mike's return?

Yes.

Curly Bill
1/13/2012, 01:13 PM
Yes.

LOL...good answer!

LVSOONER15
1/13/2012, 01:15 PM
I think Wort can improve a little more. I also think Colvin would can turn out to be a great one.

StoopTroup
1/13/2012, 01:24 PM
I think Tony can be a beast with Mike around, I'm just not sold on Wort as being "all that." I'm not sold on any of our linebackers as being "all that."

I haven't heard you "Sold" on hardly anything. Again....we aren't talking about Mike fielding his best Defense ever here....we are talking about which player or really even players that we have and know about that Mike can use as assets next season. Should Mike stay at OU with Bob for the next 7 years like Brent has and even Brent stay on....I think that most everyone who has mentioned a player in this thread is onto who we will see huge plays being made on Defense next year as well as our Leaders next year. I seriously doubt we will see a Juco player or a Freshman come in and suddenly solve every issue you might have with OUs Defense. You wanna just play on this guy is a beast and that guy will make it to the NFL...that's fine.....but I'm more into giving the guys I think Mike will use to shore up things or even change things on next years Defense vs last years Defense some due.

Curly Bill
1/13/2012, 01:26 PM
I haven't heard you "Sold" on hardly anything. Again....we aren't talking about Mike fielding his best Defense ever here....we are talking about which player or really even players that we have and know about that Mike can use as assets next season. Should Mike stay at OU with Bob for the next 7 years like Brent has and even Brent stay on....I think that most everyone who has mentioned a player in this thread is onto who we will see huge plays being made on Defense next year as well as our Leaders next year. I seriously doubt we will see a Juco player or a Freshman come in and suddenly solve every issue you might have with OUs Defense. You wanna just play on this guy is a beast and that guy will make it to the NFL...that's fine.....but I'm more into giving the guys I think Mike will use to shore up things or even change things on next years Defense vs last years Defense.

Huh???

stoops the eternal pimp
1/13/2012, 01:43 PM
Jefferson benefits most because:

Mike Stoops is a DB coach at heart..That's what he does..The fine parts of the game..DB is what he knows..Jefferson plays at a great level but his upside is incredibly high...What he is capable of hasn't been even close to being tapped..

starclassic tama
1/13/2012, 01:50 PM
you think TJ should stay at safety? i thought he looked like a natural against okie state and iowa. at his best he reminds me of ed reed, obviously not near that good

stoops the eternal pimp
1/13/2012, 01:54 PM
I hope he does...I like his closing speed vs the other guys and probably the best tackler on the team..

I love Colvin, I wish we could put him back at corner.

starclassic tama
1/13/2012, 01:55 PM
what about javon harris at strongside and tony at weakside with colvin at corner?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/13/2012, 01:57 PM
Would like very much...I'm interested in Quentin Hayes also..

Eielson
1/13/2012, 02:09 PM
Wouldn't Mike's return hurt Wort if it causes Venables to leave?

Curly Bill
1/13/2012, 03:02 PM
Jefferson benefits most because:

Mike Stoops is a DB coach at heart..That's what he does..The fine parts of the game..DB is what he knows..Jefferson plays at a great level but his upside is incredibly high...What he is capable of hasn't been even close to being tapped..

My line of thought in choosing TJ as well.

OU_Sooners75
1/13/2012, 04:00 PM
Not sure if it has been said, but all of them will benefit!

Mike doesn't have to coach their position for them to benefit from his coaching style. From my experiences in playing college ball, the coordinators usually had either a volunteer or GA helping coach their position so they could also walk the field to check on the other units.

I don't know how Stoops structures his practices but I would find it hard to believe that it would be much different than my experience.

Our practices went like this:
Start: warm up, stretching
Special team practice or walk through for weeks game plan (Monday was the latter).
Break into positions to work on skills and technique.
Team up with another position to work on technique or game plan.
Team up with another unit to work on technique and game plan.
Team practice work on offensive or defensive schemes for the week.
Scout team practice. Usually redshirts or freshmen would be scout team. Whole unit would go against scout team tendencies.
Get together with 1s vs 2s and sometimes 1s vs 1s.
Conditioning

Our coordinators had plenty if time to help benefit all players!

stoops the eternal pimp
1/13/2012, 04:52 PM
what about javon harris at strongside and tony at weakside with colvin at corner?

Jefferson just said he wants to play FS..

northspeter
1/14/2012, 02:35 PM
the safeties... all of them...

StoopTroup
1/14/2012, 03:31 PM
Not sure if it has been said, but all of them will benefit!

Mike doesn't have to coach their position for them to benefit from his coaching style. From my experiences in playing college ball, the coordinators usually had either a volunteer or GA helping coach their position so they could also walk the field to check on the other units.

I don't know how Stoops structures his practices but I would find it hard to believe that it would be much different than my experience.

Our practices went like this:
Start: warm up, stretching
Special team practice or walk through for weeks game plan (Monday was the latter).
Break into positions to work on skills and technique.
Team up with another position to work on technique or game plan.
Team up with another unit to work on technique and game plan.
Team practice work on offensive or defensive schemes for the week.
Scout team practice. Usually redshirts or freshmen would be scout team. Whole unit would go against scout team tendencies.
Get together with 1s vs 2s and sometimes 1s vs 1s.
Conditioning

Our coordinators had plenty if time to help benefit all players!

You forgot Bob and Brent Screaming at you in Team Meetings about how you blew the coverage and asking you if you wanted to sit out or play some damn Football?

I think you make some good points but it sure seems to me that Players were supposedly complaining that they were getting to much attention (Jerry Schmidt) and that they weren't breaking Team Rules, they were going to class but weren't getting PT.

I guess what I'm saying is that these players might not all benefit from Mike if they continue to think he's going to give less attention than Brent. I think that with both of them there next year....you will see Coordinators and Coaches all over these guys just like we did when Mike, Mark Mangino and Brent were here. The times I saw them Coaching our guys....they were brutal. Don't think that's true? Mangino and Leach were both fired at other Schools for supposed Player Abuse. All of Bob's Coaches from the early years at OU have this style. Maybe Mike has calmed down or found a different way to approach it but I haven't ever noticed any such change. I still think he's gonna light some guys up and maybe that's why you saw some players leave.

http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/ipt/MikeStoopsAZ220pw_090911.jpg
http://www.azcentral.com/i/F/6/8/PHP4E9CA64C7286F.jpg
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/394/313/104497427_crop_650x440.jpg?1318318632

cccasooner2
1/14/2012, 03:32 PM
Me......., I won't have to explain to my buddies why we just gave up three consecutive TDs through the air.

StoopTroup
1/14/2012, 03:36 PM
Bob, Mike and Brent are gettin up there in age and maybe they have gotten soft....but with Mike back...I think that will change some and they will all be at "Heart Attack +1 Stage" next year, especially during games. Brent still goes nuts on the sidelines....the others....not so much. I have a feeling that Mike backing Brent's style up will change our Defense.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/268/736/brent-venables_display_image.jpg?1277261566
http://photos3.newsok.com/cache/lead630-15d1dc943c7608ffe911dac7e4a81469.jpg

cccasooner2
1/14/2012, 03:46 PM
Actually, I hope to see a great improvement from Gabe Lynn. I could not believe how Martinez and Bob let him dog the very drills that were so important to on-the-field perfomance in coverage. He has natural talent, but man, someone has to light a fire under him if he ever hopes to achieve anything in football.

sooneredaco
1/14/2012, 03:49 PM
The entire backfield

BASSooner
1/14/2012, 05:55 PM
all of them who play.

no joke. this defense is going to be ready to obliterate

8timechamps
1/14/2012, 06:06 PM
Actually, I hope to see a great improvement from Gabe Lynn. I could not believe how Martinez and Bob let him dog the very drills that were so important to on-the-field perfomance in coverage. He has natural talent, but man, someone has to light a fire under him if he ever hopes to achieve anything in football.

That's my thinking too. Lynn has talent, but I think he lacked coaching. Hopefully Mike will take care of that.

Eielson
1/14/2012, 06:18 PM
That's my thinking too. Lynn has talent, but I think he lacked coaching. Hopefully Mike will take care of that.

I was more impressed by Lynn than Colvin when I saw them play in high school, but then again, I didn't see that much of them, and I've never been much of a DB guy.

Scott D
1/14/2012, 08:59 PM
I was more impressed by Lynn than Colvin when I saw them play in high school, but then again, I didn't see that much of them, and I've never been much of a DB guy.

and that.....is why you fail.

cccasooner2
1/14/2012, 10:30 PM
Maybe he can mold another Andre Woolfolk.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/14/2012, 10:47 PM
I think the guy who will benefit the most is TJ. I think we will also have someone come out of the woodwork that will turn into a pretty good player as well (like a Joe Powell). I just don't see Lynn surviving the spring.