PDA

View Full Version : Drew Allen

Jmorales22
1/12/2012, 01:35 PM
I heard he might be transferring. Anyone else hear this?

I actually have a "source" or something I guess you could call it who told me that....

StoopTroup
1/12/2012, 01:37 PM
Would you blame him?

Curly Bill
1/12/2012, 01:39 PM
If I were him I'd have to consider it pretty strongly myself.

...but I've heard nothing along those lines.

StoopTroup
1/12/2012, 01:43 PM
This was a good article that was written about the Blake/Bell Back up QB Role that happened last year. With the events that have transpired this last Season....I would think he's feeling like he's probably feeling like he's 3rd now....

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110417_92_b1_cutlin918754

badger
1/12/2012, 01:49 PM
I heard he might be transferring. Anyone else hear this?

I actually have a "source" or something I guess you could call it who told me that....

You heard this from a "source," or just the fact that he's kind of the odd man out bring you to that conclusion? :D

I don't think he'll transfer. Two years of eligibility left, yes, but there's always that nagging one-year-sit-out rule that has to make player think twice.

SoonerNomad
1/12/2012, 01:51 PM
I still get the impression that he is still in the mix as the backup to Landry Jones. It seems Bell's role is limited to short yardage package and that doesn't give him the fulltime spot should Landry go down.

Jmorales22
1/12/2012, 01:54 PM
You heard this from a "source," or just the fact that he's kind of the odd man out bring you to that conclusion? :D

I don't think he'll transfer. Two years of eligibility left, yes, but there's always that nagging one-year-sit-out rule that has to make player think twice.

Call it a rumor, but I actually have a kind of random connection to someone who is on the team, and that's what the rumor is.... I'm not trying to make myself out to be some kind of insider, just telling people what I heard.

Widescreen
1/12/2012, 01:55 PM
Drew's already redshirted so if he transfers to a D-1 school, will the year he sits out count as a year of eligibility? IOW, will he just have 1 year of eligibility left?

PSK2080
1/12/2012, 01:57 PM
If you are "twitter stalk" Drew Allen, it doesn't look like he plans on transferring anywhere...it looks like he is a guy that really enjoys his life and his friends and his teammates...

badger
1/12/2012, 01:58 PM
Drew's already redshirted so if he transfers to a D-1 school, will the year he sits out count as a year of eligibility? IOW, will he just have 1 year of eligibility left?

I don't think that counts, but I'll have to defer to the NCAA rules experts on that one :)

StoopTroup
1/12/2012, 01:59 PM

That and this "I'm leaving!" attitude that seems to be going on with some of our players and then many of them find that yeah....they might leave but they might not be in any better position at the place they land. Matter of fact....they might have to work their asses off even harder to convince the new Team and the New Coaches that he's a fit for their program.

If you stay.....Landry could always get hurt like Sam did and Blake as many think isn't the answer to our Offense if Landry was to be injured?

Leaving may roll off the tongue easy but once you've said it....then you really have your work cut out for you....

StoopTroup
1/12/2012, 02:06 PM
Call it a rumor, but I actually have a kind of random connection to someone who is on the team, and that's what the rumor is.... I'm not trying to make myself out to be some kind of insider, just telling people what I heard.

Instead of bring it up here...I'd tell my connection that you and other's think he'd be crazy to leave but would understand it if he felt he'd be better off at a Team that suddenly needed a QB with some experience. I mean....like I said in the other post....he might have the same opportunity here if Landry were to get hurt and then he'd at least be getting a chance to lead the Sooners than say a Team that was maybe looking to right their ship.

Plus...Landry is gone after this year and one year behind center at a School like OU can always be better than 2 years at a School that won't ever see a Conference Championship or a shot at the MNC.

oumartin
1/12/2012, 02:10 PM
i talked to one of Drews best friends a couple weeks back and said he was not happy but loved OU and was more than likely to stay.

StoopTroup
1/12/2012, 02:16 PM
"not happy but loved OU"

As a Fan....

I'm not happy....but I love OU too.

Neath a Western Sky
1/12/2012, 02:29 PM
"not happy but loved OU"

As a Fan....

LOL. Needed a laugh the way my day is going. :bee:

TheUnnamedSooner
1/12/2012, 02:34 PM
"not happy but loved OU"

As a Fan....

Me too! And I will more than likely stay :D

Neath a Western Sky
1/12/2012, 02:36 PM
I hope Drew stays. He is much more athletic than Landry, a good runner, and the impression I get from folks who know him is that he's a tough competitor, full of confidence, and respected by his teammates. He played great in the most recent Spring game, and I would be surprised if he's not a fine player under pressure.

As others have posted, despite Blake's Belldozer prowess, he still hasn't, to my knowledge, beaten Drew out for the regular backup role, after two years of competition and lots of headlines. So if Landry goes down in 2012, or if he doesn't, in 2013, Drew has a great shot at the QB job, even if he's sharing it with the Belldozer package. As Stoop Troop said, even one year quarterbacking the Sooners...

stoopified
1/12/2012, 02:40 PM
I don't think that counts, but I'll have to defer to the NCAA rules experts on that one :) You are only allowed 5 years for 4 years of competion,if Drew were to leave for a D-1 school he would only have 1 season left after the mandatory transfer year. The only exception I can think of is IF he got a 6th year of eligibilty .That would require missing large chunks of PT to injury, Ryan Reynolds is living proof that it takes HUGE chunks of missed time.

TheUnnamedSooner
1/12/2012, 02:47 PM
You are only allowed 5 years for 4 years of competion,if Drew were to leave for a D-1 school he would only have 1 season left after the mandatory transfer year. The only exception I can think of is IF he got a 6th year of eligibilty .That would require missing large chunks of PT to injury, Ryan Reynolds is living proof that it takes HUGE chunks of missed time.

Or he could try and get the mandatory transfer year waived, which is unlikely.

OUster
1/12/2012, 02:48 PM
Why would any talented quarterback, who still has a good amount of eligibility, leave the program? In Bell's situation, Landry is on his last year and Bell may not be the passer who can step in to replace him in every down situations...at least it does not appear so in the games he's played this year. It has been proven in the past few years at OU, our starting offensive backfield can expect to be out because of injury at some time during the season. Allen's time will come. Hopefully, not before next season ends. Given all the defections of this past year and the fact that many of the defectors regretted their decision because injuries created a need, I would hope Allen would stick around. The kid appears to have the talent and fire to be a good quarterback. Just my thoughts, though.

OUster
1/12/2012, 02:49 PM
Yes, I am biased as I want to see more of my local boys do well in the crimson & cream!

rekamrettuB
1/12/2012, 03:25 PM
Problem he's feeling is you only have so many snaps in practice and Bell's formation takes up some of those snaps. Maybe he feels that those snaps going to Bell make him 2nd team. I've never seen either really play but I would stick it out through spring and see what happens. If he does transfer, he better head down a level and then back up unless he gets a waiver release to play this next year. But then you have to get right in and win the job there too. It's a tough situation for sure. Too bad he has to think about the situation.

badger
1/12/2012, 03:28 PM
Problem he's feeling is you only have so many snaps in practice and Bell's formation takes up some of those snaps.

Our practices are now setup so that there's very few players standing on the sidelines now. I don't have a link, but it basically has two practices going at once on two fields to ensure that everyone gets experience and less practice time is wasted.

rekamrettuB
1/12/2012, 03:29 PM
Our practices are now setup so that there's very few players standing on the sidelines now. I don't have a link, but it basically has two practices going at once on two fields to ensure that everyone gets experience and less practice time is wasted.

Good to hear. Being as efficient as you are allowed.

oumartin
1/12/2012, 03:30 PM
yeah, cuz our effecient practices have paid off well.

badger
1/12/2012, 03:35 PM
yeah, cuz our effecient practices have paid off well.

10-win season? Bowl winning season? I know it's not the Big 12 or the BCS but it's worth something.

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2012, 03:44 PM
i'm trying to think of a QB that transferred for lack of playing time and went on to start

i cant

the kid that went to Utah - cant think of his name - i actually liked him a lot but he couldnt win the top spot at Utah of all places

Keith Nichol had a nice finish to his career as a WR

there are a few others - I hope Allen stays but wouldnt blame if he left

Soonerjeepman
1/12/2012, 03:50 PM
i'm trying to think of a QB that transferred for lack of playing time and went on to start

i cant

the kid that went to Utah - cant think of his name - i actually liked him a lot but he couldnt win the top spot at Utah of all places

wasn't it Brady...the QB...or something like that...6'7 kid

Mississippi Sooner
1/12/2012, 03:52 PM
I believe y'all are talking about Tommy Grady. Last I heard, he was in the Arena League.

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2012, 03:53 PM
wasn't it Brady...the QB...or something like that...6'7 kid

tommy grady - kid from california - yeah, 6'7 or something - i always wondered what he could have done had he not transferred before the whole bomar fiasco

SoonerNomad
1/12/2012, 03:53 PM
It was Wayne Grady.

SoonerNomad
1/12/2012, 03:54 PM
Oops. Tommy Grady. Who is Wayne Grady?

To state the obvious. I am an idiot.

Widescreen
1/12/2012, 03:59 PM
tommy grady - kid from california - yeah, 6'7 or something - i always wondered what he could have done had he not transferred before the whole bomar fiasco
Well, given that he couldn't start at Utah, I'm thinking he probably would never have had a lot of success at OU.

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2012, 04:02 PM
Well, given that he couldn't start at Utah, I'm thinking he probably would never have had a lot of success at OU.

at the time - he only had to beat out Paul Thompson......and i'm not trying to start that whole argument....he went to Utah behind a Vince Young style QB and got very little playing time - our system would have suited him as a drop back passer much better

Soonerjeepman
1/12/2012, 04:06 PM

i cant

wasn't it Brady...the QB...or something like that...6'7 kid..duh...Grady..yup...

Boomer.....
1/12/2012, 04:10 PM
Where's David when you need him?

;)

Mississippi Sooner
1/12/2012, 04:11 PM
Whatever happened to Brent Rawls?

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2012, 04:17 PM
Whatever happened to Brent Rawls?

another one - arena league

Salt City Sooner
1/12/2012, 04:57 PM
at the time - he only had to beat out Paul Thompson......and i'm not trying to start that whole argument....he went to Utah behind a Vince Young style QB and got very little playing time - our system would have suited him as a drop back passer much better
That's the one thing that always mystified me, not about him leaving OU, but rather about him landing at Utah. When he landed there they were still running the sproption, & if there's ever been one QB who would make Landry look like Michael Vick when it comes to running, it was Grady. He'd have been SO better off at just about any other place than Utah.

sooneredaco
1/12/2012, 05:22 PM
Me too! And I will more than likely stay :D

I thought about transferring to another board, but I love the tradition and the people here. So what the hell, I'll stick around a while longer until a better option opens up I guess.

70sooner
1/12/2012, 05:41 PM
As others have posted, despite Blake's Belldozer prowess, he still hasn't, to my knowledge, beaten Drew out for the regular backup role, after two years of competition and lots of headlines

Yep. From what I've read, the coaches say he has a better grasp of the system and is a better passer. I don't see why he'd leave.

sooneredaco
1/12/2012, 05:56 PM
That's the one thing that always mystified me, not about him leaving OU, but rather about him landing at Utah. When he landed there they were still running the sproption, & if there's ever been one QB who would make Landry look like Michael Vick when it comes to running, it was Grady. He'd have been SO better off at just about any other place than Utah.

Is he Morman?

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/12/2012, 10:11 PM
How close is Drew to graduating? He could go the post graduate route and transfer without sitting out the year.

goingoneight
1/12/2012, 10:18 PM
I've never been wowed by either Drew Allen nor Blake Bell, so I don't know what we'd be losing. Blake Bell is a TE taking direct snaps in the "Belldozer," folks. He's proven nothing at QB so far. It's very possible that he may end up being the one screwed when Allen, Thompson or Knight end up being the next triggerman and Bell plays four years taking direct snaps.

StoopTroup
1/12/2012, 10:25 PM
If he does leave....I wish he would have done it earlier. I would have liked to see Josh have as much time as possible to convince our next Heisman Winner to come to OU and replace Landry. Drew could win the Heisman and become a #1 Draft pick at OU if he takes the opportunity that is obviously coming his way if he continues to due the work and due diligence he needs to do until it's basically his job should he beat out Blake and any newbs that are recruited between now and then.

It's true that folks aren't sure about him as he hasn't really shown much when he had the chance but he hasn't had much chance. We all know that if you win the position at OU....Bob will stick with you if you win. He's got at least one year to make good on his career and if he is what he thinks he is....he should do just fine.

jk the sooner fan
1/13/2012, 08:08 AM
If he does leave....I wish he would have done it earlier. I would have liked to see Josh have as much time as possible to convince our next Heisman Winner to come to OU and replace Landry. Drew could win the Heisman and become a #1 Draft pick at OU if he takes the opportunity that is obviously coming his way if he continues to due the work and due diligence he needs to do until it's basically his job should he beat out Blake and any newbs that are recruited between now and then.

It's true that folks aren't sure about him as he hasn't really shown much when he had the chance but he hasn't had much chance. We all know that if you win the position at OU....Bob will stick with you if you win. He's got at least one year to make good on his career and if he is what he thinks he is....he should do just fine.

thanks for the cliche sports interview answer

jkjsooner
1/13/2012, 09:24 AM
You are only allowed 5 years for 4 years of competion,if Drew were to leave for a D-1 school he would only have 1 season left after the mandatory transfer year. The only exception I can think of is IF he got a 6th year of eligibilty .That would require missing large chunks of PT to injury, Ryan Reynolds is living proof that it takes HUGE chunks of missed time.

That was my understanding as well.

Just curious, what if youi sit out a year and don't attend school? Does that satisfy requirement around transfers sitting out a year. I'm 99% sure the 5 year rule only applies to years attending school.