PDA

View Full Version : Venables offered WVU DC job

Sooner in Tampa
1/12/2012, 11:08 AM
ALOT of people will be happy if he goes

GuerinEmig (http://twitter.com/GuerinEmig)
RT @DaveSittler: OU sources confirmed Brent Venables has been offered defensive coordinator job at West Virginia

Sooner in Tampa
1/12/2012, 11:11 AM
Some folks are going to be pleased about this

RT @DaveSittler: OU sources: "Stoops has enlisted help of his AD and others to convince Brent to stay." A decision could come later today.

yukonsooner
1/12/2012, 11:12 AM
Isn't that the position the osu's Joe DeForest just accepted??

StoopTroup
1/12/2012, 11:13 AM
LOL....

Twitter Fail?

olevetonahill
I dont want him going and Def. Not to WVU

Sooner in Tampa
Isn't that the position the osu's Joe DeForest just accepted??

I guess that doesn't matter to WVU

RT @patricksouthern: A team source told me Tuesday that #WVU was talking to Venables, but characterized things as "a long shot

StoopTroup
1/12/2012, 11:15 AM
I get the feeling that Bob and Mike and really everyone at OU isn't willing to give Dean Blevins, Jake Trotter or anyone at ESPN or really anyone that has pissed them off....an interview or a phone call.

If Sittler just did this after talking to Bob.....I'm wondering if he's now on Bob's **** list of reporters?

StoopTroup
1/12/2012, 11:18 AM
I dont want him going and Def. Not to WVU

Yeah....that's what I was telling you about Willie. They probably are gonna honor his contract as they don't want any of their Coaches leaving for a Team we have to play in the near future or maybe even possibly a MNC. I mean...Bob got involved when his Brother was even possibly headed towards Urban Meyer and Ohio State?

badger
1/12/2012, 11:21 AM
It's not a given that DeForest is gonna be WVU defensive coordinator.

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=298&articleid=20120111_298_0_Having524880)

Whether DeForest has become the Mountaineers’ defensive coordinator or a co-coordinator is expected to be announced by Holgorsen on Thursday or Friday.

With former Mountaineer coordinator Jeff Casteel and three of his West Virginia assistants having taken jobs at Arizona, Holgorsen is rebuilding the West Virginia defensive staff.

DeForest was OSU's associate head coach and coaches safeties and special teams as well.

Sooner in Tampa
1/12/2012, 11:25 AM
Personally, I don't see BV going to WVU...same job...a step down from OU

StoopTroup
1/12/2012, 11:25 AM
So there's a chance that Willie might not need to find a job? :D

Breadburner
1/12/2012, 11:27 AM
This would not be good for OU......

StoopTroup
1/12/2012, 11:34 AM
This would not be good for OU......

Stuff like this is why I continued to be cautious about these "Mike is coming!" Threads.

Man the spin machine was so damn out of control that even once Mike is hired.....it keeps on grabbing names and launching them out onto twitter and then to ESPN and then it comes back here and the other message boards and blogs to be tossed around like a medicine ball and maybe by the time it stops.....it will be time for the Red/White Game.....lol

achiro
1/12/2012, 11:35 AM
It's not a given that DeForest is gonna be WVU defensive coordinator.

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=298&articleid=20120111_298_0_Having524880)

DeForest was OSU's associate head coach and coaches safeties and special teams as well.
So the fact that deforest resigned at OSU and says he's going to WV has escaped your attention

Curly Bill
1/12/2012, 11:47 AM
Personally, I don't see BV going to WVU...same job...a step down from OU

He's already taken a step down at OU - he now shares his job with Mike. There's no way to see that except as a demotion of sorts. In the coaching fraternity I promise you there's no other way to see it.

EatLeadCommie
1/12/2012, 11:48 AM
It's a step down. Unless BV isn't happy in Norman, no way he takes a job with WVU. It's not like he'd be a head coach in waiting there.

StoopTroup
1/12/2012, 11:51 AM
He's already taken a step down at OU - he now shares his job with Mike. There's no way to see that except as a demotion of sorts. In the coaching fraternity I promise you there's no other way to see it.

Unless you view success as winning Championships and National Championships.....then you stay right where you are and you snuggle in closer to your friends and then when the Team wins another National Championship.....you are out there ready to fill a Head Coaching job like all the other Coaches did after Bob won the first one.

badger
1/12/2012, 11:53 AM
So the fact that deforest resigned at OSU and says he's going to WV has escaped your attention

What hasn't escaped my attention is the fact that he has accepted a position at WVU but they never announced what position. It could be defensive coordinator or another position. Creepy Dana hasn't said what DeForest is going to do at WVU yet. It could be similar to what he was doing at OSU (where he wasn't defensive coordinator, Bill Young was). Or, it could be co-defensive coordinator with... say... BV.

It just hasn't been announced yet, so it is entirely possibly that BV was offered the defensive coordinator position and DeForest was offered (and accepted) a different position.

THAT is what hasn't escaped my attention, thank you very much! :P

Curly Bill
1/12/2012, 11:56 AM
Unless you view success as winning Championships and National Championships.....then you stay right where you are and you snuggle in closer to your friends and then when the Team wins another National Championship.....you are out there ready to fill a Head Coaching job like all the other Coaches did after Bob won the first one.

I'd be shocked if he goes anywhere if that's what you're getting at, but there's no way the coaching fraternity sees this as less than a demotion for BV. Would Bob not see it as a demotion, or certainly a lack of confidence in him, if the OU admin brought in say...Nick Saban to help Bob with his job?

StoopTroup
1/12/2012, 11:57 AM

A little help....
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/58273/report-oklahoma-state-assistant-to-wvu

sitzpinkler
1/12/2012, 11:58 AM

achiro
1/12/2012, 12:02 PM
What hasn't escaped my attention is the fact that he has accepted a position at WVU but they never announced what position. It could be defensive coordinator or another position. Creepy Dana hasn't said what DeForest is going to do at WVU yet. It could be similar to what he was doing at OSU (where he wasn't defensive coordinator, Bill Young was). Or, it could be co-defensive coordinator with... say... BV.

It just hasn't been announced yet, so it is entirely possibly that BV was offered the defensive coordinator position and DeForest was offered (and accepted) a different position.

THAT is what hasn't escaped my attention, thank you very much! :P
Deforest says it's DC or co-DC. No way BV leaves OU to become a co-DC at WV.

StoopTroup
1/12/2012, 12:09 PM
I'd be shocked if he goes anywhere if that's what you're getting at, but there's no way the coaching fraternity sees this as less than a demotion for BV. Would Bob not see it as a demotion, or certainly a lack of confidence in him, if the OU admin brought in say...Nick Saban to help Bob with his job?

In most cases I would agree with you but Stoops has shown time and again he has a pretty decent group of folks who are not only loyal to each other....they aren't stupid enough to go it alone when they know their success has been achieved by being loyal to each other.

I think that's the thing that many of the players might need to embrace. Avoid embracing the things that are being offered to you like a shining new car or a possible 2nd or 3rd round draft pick and embrace the things that help the Team and brings wins and success as then you will be in a better position should your 15 minutes of fame be that you were a part of leading a Team to Victory.

I'm betting many Alabama players are glad they continued to believe in themselves and play like they did even though many folks didn't think they deserved another shot.

Stories like this really show players and Coaches just how the "WE" can really be much better than the "ME" attitude....

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/colleges/alabama/post?id=213&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fblo g%2fcolleges%2falabama%2fpost%3fid%3d213

Sooner in Tampa
1/12/2012, 12:50 PM
Hmmm...

I think he is full of ****...a co-defensive coordinator at WVU is a step down from co-defensive coordinator at OU...that should be pretty obvious throught out college football

Unless you are Mandel

slmandel (http://twitter.com/slmandel)
Brent Venables would have to be the world's most loyal assistant to stay at OU. He's been demoted back to 2003. And WVU is a good offer.

badger
1/12/2012, 01:20 PM
From the tweets and the rumors, it sounds like Brent went from being a head coaching candidate down to either a "demotion" at OU or taking the same job elsewhere, it appears. That has to be disheartening, if true.

Here's another thought: Mike Stoops is probably going to be paid well. Perhaps the big money boosters and/or Joe C. are contemplating whether it's worth it to keep two highly paid defensive coordinators around rather than one at this point. If I were a billionaire, I should would hate to be the one OU called every time they needed to buy out a bad coach's contract or hire on a pricey assistant after so-so/bad seasons.

Widescreen
1/12/2012, 01:33 PM
If I were a billionaire, I should would hate to be the one OU called every time they needed to buy out a bad coach's contract or hire on a pricey assistant after so-so/bad seasons.
I'd be willing to become a billionaire and put up with it all.

StoopTroup
1/12/2012, 01:35 PM
I'd be willing to become a billionaire and put up with it all.

I'm with you. Plus....they probably wouldn't have to call me....I'd be down there and I'd have my own office, especially right now. :D

SicEmBaylor
1/12/2012, 01:37 PM
I get the feeling that Bob and Mike and really everyone at OU isn't willing to give Dean Blevins, Jake Trotter or anyone at ESPN or really anyone that has pissed them off....an interview or a phone call.

If Sittler just did this after talking to Bob.....I'm wondering if he's now on Bob's **** list of reporters?
Bob is the head coach at a public university; Bob is not the Queen of England. The idea of a Nixonian Stoops sitting around with an enemies list of journalists who have dared print something negative about he or his program is absurd.

badger
1/12/2012, 01:43 PM

I don't think so. I think they are eager to get the info out there so that recruits aren't getting swayed based on internet rumors and twitter stuff. I mean, signing day is pretty soon, right?

Mike himself commented to NewsOK confirming that he's going to OU

Link (http://newsok.com/mike-stoops-im-on-my-way-to-oklahoma-could-brent-venables-be-leaving-for-west-virginia/article/3639696)

I do agree that Bob and other coaches likely have a **** list of reporters they don't trust or don't respond as quickly to, but for Mike and Bob apparently, it does not yet include NewsOK's Mike Baldwin or Tulsa World's Dave Sittler.

StoopTroup
1/12/2012, 01:47 PM
Or maybe you mean Sittle....lol

Some talk started to surface a couple days ago on the interwebs about Oklahoma defensive coordinator Brent Venables being mentioned for the vacant West Virginia DC job. It was quickly dismissed as ridiculous, but there has been a little bit of a firestorm in Oklahoma circles this morning courtesy of the Tulsa World's Dave Sittle and his Twitter account (http://twitter.com/davesittler). I'm certainly no Twitter expert, but I'll do my best to try and recap what all has been said. Also, not that it really matters but personally I've never really been that big a fan of Sittler's. That said, he's been in OK forever and surely has developed a considerable amount of sources so while I wouldn't totally dismiss what he's started today I still find it hard to believe Venables would leave. But enough of that, onto the tweets!

http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2012/1/12/2702283/brent-venables-to-west-virginia

SoonerNomad
1/12/2012, 01:48 PM
Dave Sittle is reporting (tweeting) that Coach Bob Stoops is trying to keep Coach Venables here. It's down in this story I just found regarding defensive shake ups and confirmation of Mike Stoops' return.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/12/oklahoma-staff-shake-ups-reportedly-on-the-horizon/

badger
1/12/2012, 01:52 PM
Or maybe you mean Sittle....lol

Sittle, hehe. :D

Sports reporting in this state has to be hard because of the fanbases, but I'd have to say that being in a pushy media market like LA or NY would be even tougher. By now out there, we'd had court documents, emails, phone audio and flight records of everyone and their brother indicting them on embezzling Diet Coke from a stadium vending machine. You stole that soda from the taxpayers! You repay that soda immediately! ;)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/12/2012, 02:06 PM

I think you are giving the coaching "fraternity" a little more credit than they deserve. If this were so, no team would bring back head coach retreads time after time after time after time.

Sooner in Tampa
1/12/2012, 02:07 PM
Seems that more than WVU are interested in Venables

RT @DaveSittler: OU source on Clemson interest in Venables: "Auburn, West Virginia and a bunch of others have come after him, so I would ...

StoopTroup
1/12/2012, 02:08 PM
Sittle, hehe. :D

Sports reporting in this state has to be hard because of the fanbases, but I'd have to say that being in a pushy media market like LA or NY would be even tougher. By now out there, we'd had court documents, emails, phone audio and flight records of everyone and their brother indicting them on embezzling Diet Coke from a stadium vending machine. You stole that soda from the taxpayers! You repay that soda immediately! ;)

I'm surprised we don't.....lol

StoopTroup
1/12/2012, 02:13 PM
Wow....a little chum in the water and folks seem to bring up a guy who's stats a month ago would argue that he's not only a really ****ty DC but the reason the Sooners would never win a MNC.

Now, in less than a Day he's suddenly a commodity at some pretty good Football Programs.

This stuff is funny except that I think I as a fan would rather see the Mike and Brent Show play out in all it's glory. Who know's.....maybe Brent feels like it was him that really pulled off the win in 2000? I still believe it was a combination of both he and Mike.

Curly Bill
1/12/2012, 02:18 PM
I think you are giving the coaching "fraternity" a little more credit than they deserve. If this were so, no team would bring back head coach retreads time after time after time after time.

...but coaches don't hire head coaches. AD's, college presidents, peeps like that hire coaches. But yeah..I'm by no means a fan of retreads.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/12/2012, 02:26 PM
...but coaches don't hire head coaches. AD's, college presidents, peeps like that hire coaches. But yeah..I'm by no means a fan of retreads.

Yet, if getting fired once ended their careers then there wouldn't be all that many experienced coaches running around ;)

If it were me, I would never look for a HC job unless I was a better administrator than coach.

Soonerman08
1/12/2012, 02:34 PM
Yet, if getting fired once ended their careers then there wouldn't be all that many experienced coaches running around ;)

If it were me, I would never look for a HC job unless I was a better administrator than coach.

Would being DC at OU for the past 7 years not be the best opportunity for a HC position? I don't understand the thoughts of some who argue Venables leaving would be better for him to get a Head Coaching gig somewhere.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/12/2012, 02:39 PM
Would being DC at OU for the past 7 years not be the best opportunity for a HC position? I don't understand the thoughts of some who argue Venables leaving would be better for him to get a Head Coaching gig somewhere.

If BV wants to be a HC he needs to go somewhere else and prove it. The biggest issue is he's haunted by Stoops's coaching tree. The 2 best off the tree got fired for off the field incidents (Leach, Mangino) the rest have been between average and bad.

badger
1/12/2012, 02:51 PM
If BV wants to be a HC he needs to go somewhere else and prove it. The biggest issue is he's haunted by Stoops's coaching tree. The 2 best off the tree got fired for off the field incidents (Leach, Mangino) the rest have been between average and bad.

I have heard the argument that black coaches didn't succeed in the college rankings, because the only jobs they got hired for were the crappy ones.

I would have to say the same for the ones that didn't do as well in the Stoops' coaching tree. Arizona is in the Pac 10/12, but has little else going for it except basketball. Same for Kansas (except sub out Pac for Big 12). Mike Leach did very well at Tech despite what the James family claims, and Bo Pelini is doing all right at Nebrasky.

I am not going to mention Chuck Long. After hearing his coaching philosophy during the OU-KU game this year I never want to mention him ever again as an offensive coordinator :(

sitzpinkler
1/12/2012, 02:57 PM

Kevin Sumlin has done pretty well so far.

badger
1/12/2012, 03:08 PM
Kevin Sumlin has done pretty well so far.

I should have mentioned him too, yes. My bad :D

SoonerMom2
1/12/2012, 04:10 PM
KREF is saying that Bob Stoops is doing everything he can behind the scenes to keep Venerables.

boomersooner28
1/12/2012, 04:15 PM
I want Venables on OUr staff dangit. He CAN recruit.

Sooner in Tampa
1/12/2012, 04:19 PM
KREF is saying that Bob Stoops is doing everything he can behind the scenes to keep Venerables.
He damned sure had better not get a raise

47straight
1/12/2012, 06:48 PM
I have heard the argument that black coaches didn't succeed in the college rankings, because the only jobs they got hired for were the crappy ones.

I would have to say the same for the ones that didn't do as well in the Stoops' coaching tree. Arizona is in the Pac 10/12, but has little else going for it except basketball. Same for Kansas (except sub out Pac for Big 12). Mike Leach did very well at Tech despite what the James family claims, and Bo Pelini is doing all right at Nebrasky.

I am not going to mention Chuck Long. After hearing his coaching philosophy during the OU-KU game this year I never want to mention him ever again as an offensive coordinator :(

I think the real issue is that it's very hard to win and win consistently at any school. Bob winning the MNC his 2nd year and other results are not the norm, and only increase expectations everywhere.

To hijack something else you said, OU, OSU, Miami, Notre Dame, and Washington have all hired African-American coaches, and those are not crappy jobs at all. I'd say the reason no AA coach has matched, for example, Saban's record is the same reason 99% of all coaches haven't matched Saban's record. It's just really hard and a whole lot of things have to go right.

C&CDean
1/12/2012, 08:49 PM
And the same soldier er mean dildoes carry on. Get a ****ing life jarhead boy. WTF is wrong with you?

olevetonahill
1/12/2012, 08:59 PM
Dean
Seems the Fans at WVU are gettin excited about getting BV
Like I said Dont matter how much yer tired of yer woman theres always someone else out there that will buy her flowers and wine and dine her to lay her down

http://www.wemustignitethiscouch.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=20&topic_id=21507&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0

8timechamps
1/12/2012, 09:15 PM
I think losing BV would be a bad blow to OU. If you just look at this years recruiting class and who BV has been instrumental in landing, it would be bad.

olevetonahill
1/12/2012, 09:25 PM
Ok Folk. This is Big time College Ball, The Sharks out there smell blood and sense a chance to strike, Nothing more nothin less
Just like if there is a Big time recruit and then some coaching turmoil comes up every team that thinks they have a shot come sniffin

C&CDean
1/12/2012, 09:26 PM
No. No. No. Fire V. It's the key. The answer. The deal. Just axe the ****ing idiots.

goingoneight
1/12/2012, 09:31 PM
I think we should fire Mike Stoops. I mean, he gave up the big secret already. Wait til we get into BIG 12 play. :mad:

AlboSooner
1/12/2012, 10:08 PM
Nobody should be kept against their will at OU. If his feelings are so hurt that he needs to take such an inferior job as WV's Dc then it's best he leaves.

I do think OU's offense has hurt his defense just as much as teams with a QB who can throw it down the field.

olevetonahill
1/12/2012, 10:12 PM
Nobody should be kept against their will at OU. If his feelings are so hurt that he needs to take such an inferior job as WV's Dc then it's best he leaves.

I do think OU's offense has hurt his defense just as much as teams with a QB who can throw it down the field.

Where has HE said his feelers are hurt?
I swear some Yall need a drank

soonerboy_odanorth
1/12/2012, 10:38 PM
If his feelings are so hurt that he needs to take such an inferior job as WV's Dc then it's best he leaves.

Ever stop to think that maybe the rest of the college football world is just as tired of our ignorance and arrogance as we are of... say... Texas's? I mean if WV is such an "inferior job", then one would think they really can't step on the same field as OU. Right?

Yet twice in my lifetime I've watched them go full on Deliverance on our asses and make us squeal like pigs.

They're one of the, if not THE, winningest program in the country that hasn't won an NC. Much like OU is one of the winningest basketball programs in the country that hasn't won a national championship. It would be a very good job, if he were to take it. As would be Clemson or Auburn, for which he has also been mentioned. All are annually top 30-40, and in bowl games it would seem more than our equal.

The only thing that looks weak if Venables does leave for another program, is OU. It's time people came to grips that nationally we aren't perceived to be anything other than the most overrated program in the country.

NorthernIowaSooner
1/12/2012, 11:23 PM
I don't see how this is being seen as a step down for him. Getting demoted at your current place of employment because your performance was not good enough/they think Mike can do it better is a step down. WVU or any other place will offer him an opportunity to be in charge of the defense. Being in charge of a defense at the level of schools that are reportedly going after him is not a step down.

Are they OU? No, but if his goal is to become a head coach then running a solid D at WVU or Clemson will get him closer to that than living in Mike's shadow.

SoonerMom2
1/12/2012, 11:52 PM
WVU is saying they have not offered but have to wonder about Clemson and if that is what is holding up the announcement. He would be a co-defensive coordinate at WVU as the OSU guy has already gone there so is Venerables headed to Clemson?

NorthernIowaSooner
1/12/2012, 11:58 PM
I don't think the "co" part is the hold up. I think that he would just want the play calling position.

Tennessee could also be looking at him.

Sooner in Tampa
1/13/2012, 06:59 AM
And the same soldier er mean dildoes carry on. Get a ****ing life jarhead boy. WTF is wrong with you?

WTF is that all about Dean?

thecrimsoncrusader
1/13/2012, 09:40 AM
Ever stop to think that maybe the rest of the college football world is just as tired of our ignorance and arrogance as we are of... say... Texas's? I mean if WV is such an "inferior job", then one would think they really can't step on the same field as OU. Right?

Yet twice in my lifetime I've watched them go full on Deliverance on our asses and make us squeal like pigs.

They're one of the, if not THE, winningest program in the country that hasn't won an NC. Much like OU is one of the winningest basketball programs in the country that hasn't won a national championship. It would be a very good job, if he were to take it. As would be Clemson or Auburn, for which he has also been mentioned. All are annually top 30-40, and in bowl games it would seem more than our equal.

The only thing that looks weak if Venables does leave for another program, is OU. It's time people came to grips that nationally we aren't perceived to be anything other than the most overrated program in the country.

Worst post in the history of bad message board posts.

Sooner in Tampa
1/13/2012, 12:12 PM
More info about Clemson and Venables

RT @TravHaney My former colleague @travis_sawchik says Dabo's first call for DC job was to Venables. Likes experience vs spread offenses.

StoopTroup
1/13/2012, 12:20 PM
I don't see how this is being seen as a step down for him. Getting demoted at your current place of employment because your performance was not good enough/they think Mike can do it better is a step down. WVU or any other place will offer him an opportunity to be in charge of the defense. Being in charge of a defense at the level of schools that are reportedly going after him is not a step down.

Are they OU? No, but if his goal is to become a head coach then running a solid D at WVU or Clemson will get him closer to that than living in Mike's shadow.

Yeah.....the last time that Bob and Mike worked together they went to two National Championships, winning one and doing fair in the other. Hardly anyone got Head Coaching jobs after they did that.....LMAO

kevpks
1/13/2012, 12:23 PM
Bob Barry Jr. just said on his show that one of his sources told him that Venables turned down WV.

Curly Bill
1/13/2012, 12:25 PM
I'm not a BV fan as everyone knows, so take this with a grain of salt...but is there a little bit of BV that's afraid to get out from under Bob's skirt?

StoopTroup
1/13/2012, 12:27 PM
I'm not a BV fan as everyone knows, so take this with a grain of salt...but is there a little bit of BV that's afraid to get out from under Bob's skirt?

It's called not biting the hand that feeds you Bill.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/13/2012, 12:30 PM
Worst post in the history of bad message board posts.

Oh... that added a TON to the argument. Well thought out....

Look. You want to consider it a bad move personally for Venables to make a lateral move to West Virginia? Go ahead, I'll listen to that argument. But to call it categorically "inferior" is completely ignorant.

No one on this board including me, while there are a number of other schools that are consistently Top 30, doubts that OU's place generally is Top 10 or Top 15. But our coaches have always had to work their asses off for it. Nationally, OU does not carry the weight of "Ohio State" or "Michigan" or "Notre Dame" embedded in huge population centers...the natural attractiveness of California and Florida schools... or the resources of Texas schools.... despite our relative success against them. If we did, John Blake never would have happened. Gibbs yes, that happens. But that incompetent boob, Blake, no. Because better candidates would have been stumbling over themselves to get a shot if we were all that superior to other places.

The right guy at a place like West Virginia can easily make it a year-in year-out Top 15 program. It's basically there now. Please see Boise bleeping State.

Let me illustrate it for you another way. If we allow Venables to get away to West Virginia, even within our own conference we look like we are on a par with the Kansas State's of college football from whom we stole Venables, instead of the Texas's from whom nobody steals except to give them the reigns of a whole program.

We lose Venables because he is offered HC at Clemson. Good.

We lose Venables in a lateral move to co-DC at West Virginia. Very very bad. And it makes us look weak.

Get it, Skippy? Eh... probably not with all the drool that came out as you posted that last snippet of brilliance.

Curly Bill
1/13/2012, 12:31 PM
It's called not biting the hand that feeds you Bill.

Maybe so, but I don't see leaving for another job when you've been demoted as biting the hand that feeds you, it's called bettering your situation. Just throwing out the possibility BV might be a lil bit afraid to venture off too far from Bob??

bonkuba
1/13/2012, 12:45 PM

Look. You want to consider it a bad move personally for Venables to make a lateral move to West Virginia? Go ahead, I'll listen to that argument. But to call it categorically "inferior" is completely ignorant.

No one on this board including me, while there are a number of other schools that are consistently Top 30, doubts that OU's place generally is Top 10 or Top 15. But our coaches have always had to work their asses off for it. Nationally, OU does not carry the weight of "Ohio State" or "Michigan" or "Notre Dame" embedded in huge population centers...the natural attractiveness of California and Florida schools... or the resources of Texas schools.... despite our relative success against them. If we did, John Blake never would have happened. Gibbs yes, that happens. But that incompetent boob, Blake, no. Because better candidates would have been stumbling over themselves to get a shot if we were all that superior to other places.

The right guy at a place like West Virginia can easily make it a year-in year-out Top 15 program. It's basically there now. Please see Boise bleeping State.

Let me illustrate it for you another way. If we allow Venables to get away to West Virginia, even within our own conference we look like we are on a par with the Kansas State's of college football from whom we stole Venables, instead of the Texas's from whom nobody steals except to give them the reigns of a whole program.

We lose Venables in a lateral move to co-DC at West Virginia. Very very bad. And it makes us look weak.

Get it, Skippy? Eh... probably not with all the drool that came out as you posted that last snippet of brilliance.

I do like the "Skippy" portion........lol:excitement:

Curly Bill
1/13/2012, 12:47 PM
"Skippy" ...I do love calling me some folks Skippy when I want to bedowngrade them. :)

OULenexaman
1/13/2012, 01:01 PM
"Slick"....works too.

Curly Bill
1/13/2012, 01:05 PM
"Slick"....works too.

I call some of my buddies Slick - it can be a term of endearment as well. Skippy is full-on bedowngrading! LOL

Mississippi Sooner
1/13/2012, 01:14 PM
I do like the "Skippy" portion........lol:excitement:

He also said boob. Heh heh.

badger
1/13/2012, 01:55 PM
Do we need a new thread with "Clemson" in the title? Probably will get started anyway, but I won't be the one starting the billionth Brent thread.

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20120113_92_0_Olhmee794661)

Among things of note:

- Venables is the highest paid OU assistant at $440k.
- Contacted but NOT offered by Clemson after Dabo fired his d-coordinator Kevin Steele on Thursday.

And the most wtf of it all:

Randy Shannon is expressing interest in coming to OU if Brent Venables leaves.

BillyBall
1/13/2012, 02:09 PM
Venables is the highest paid OU assistant at $440k.
[/SIZE][/B]

Sal Sunseri just became Tennessee's new D-Coordinator and will receive a three-year deal that will pay him in the range of $800,000 annually.

badger
1/13/2012, 02:16 PM
Sal Sunseri just became Tennessee's new D-Coordinator and will receive a three-year deal that will pay him in the range of $800,000 annually.

Yeah, and Clemson's offensive coordinator just reportedly became the highest paid assistant in college football at $1.3 mil annually (hired on from Tulsa last year at $450k).

Methinks to retain Brent V it will require a pay raise. I am sure that will make the Internet explode, heh

achiro
1/13/2012, 02:28 PM

You are on crack. No way the same position at WV is a "lateral move". OU has a rich history in football and to say they are not up there with those other programs is stupid. OU is popular across the country, loved or hated by most. You aren't hated unless you're doing something right. Yes we have had a string of great coaches that "work their *** off" but to act like OU has trouble competing in recruiting is ridiculous, even in bad years. OU is a top tier program no matter how you want to try and twist it.

picasso
1/13/2012, 02:32 PM
"Slick"....works too.
OK, Sport. Or Sporto.

SoonerAtKU
1/13/2012, 02:57 PM
I call it the Chief Boss Defense.

"You think so, Chief?"

"Whatever you say, Boss."

Not directly offensive, but so clearly undermines whatever that person is trying to accomplish. I'm a big fan.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/13/2012, 03:07 PM
According to Sittler, BV has pulled name from WV hat

Curly Bill
1/13/2012, 03:09 PM
Dang! Come on BV, nutt-up and leave the nest already! ;)

thecrimsoncrusader
1/13/2012, 03:12 PM

I was wrong as you just eclipsed your previous post with this gem. Oklahoma is very much so recognized as an all-time great program by the outsiders. John Blake wasn't hired because he was a 4th option, he was hired because Oklahoma had terrible leadership at the time and did a knee jerk reaction in conjunction with strong advice from Barry Switzer. Then Oklahoma pulled another knee jerk reaction by going the opposite direction by hiring a veteran and successful, but 61 year old coach.

If Venables goes to West Virginia, it will look like he was just ran off and took things personally more than anything else by Mike Stoops being brought back into the Oklahoma football program to allegedly fix things that Venables has ultimately broken. And in truth, while he wouldn't be ran off, he most certainly would come off as taking things personally because Mike Stoops will most certainly be the defensive play-caller again.

OULenexaman
1/13/2012, 03:12 PM
Dear CB.....that's "Skippy" to you pal.

Signed BV...

Curly Bill
1/13/2012, 03:15 PM
Dear CB.....that's "Skippy" to you pal.

Signed BV...

Brent "Skippy" Venables. I like it! :)

stoops the eternal pimp
1/13/2012, 04:06 PM
OU sports info says Mike and Brent flew out recruiting today.

OULenexaman
1/13/2012, 04:53 PM
Back to the Future!!

NorthernIowaSooner
1/13/2012, 04:59 PM
Yeah.....the last time that Bob and Mike worked together they went to two National Championships, winning one and doing fair in the other. Hardly anyone got Head Coaching jobs after they did that.....LMAO

Not surprisingly you missed the point. The guy calling the plays got a job offer. The guy not calling the plays is not going to get a head offer, he didn't then and he won't now.

badger
1/13/2012, 05:26 PM
OU sports info says Mike and Brent flew out recruiting today.

Yup... and in case anyone doubts you:

Link (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011312aaa.html)

"Mike and Brent were out the door recruiting together within two hours of Mike's hiring so we're off to a good start," Bob Stoops said.

toast
1/13/2012, 05:28 PM
John Blake wasn't hired because he was a 4th option, he was hired because Oklahoma had terrible leadership at the time and did a knee jerk reaction in conjunction with strong advice from Barry Switzer. Then Oklahoma pulled another knee jerk reaction by going the opposite direction by hiring a veteran and successful, but 61 year old coach.

Stoops was 61 when he was hired? He has aged pretty well.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/13/2012, 05:46 PM
I was wrong as you just eclipsed your previous post with this gem. Oklahoma is very much so recognized as an all-time great program by the outsiders. John Blake wasn't hired because he was a 4th option, he was hired because Oklahoma had terrible leadership at the time and did a knee jerk reaction in conjunction with strong advice from Barry Switzer. Then Oklahoma pulled another knee jerk reaction by going the opposite direction by hiring a veteran and successful, but 61 year old coach.

If Venables goes to West Virginia, it will look like he was just ran off and took things personally more than anything else by Mike Stoops being brought back into the Oklahoma football program to allegedly fix things that Venables has ultimately broken. And in truth, while he wouldn't be ran off, he most certainly would come off as taking things personally because Mike Stoops will most certainly be the defensive play-caller again.

Well at least you're presenting an argument now instead of acting like a middle schooler... "Dude your suckage is so sucktacular as to be the suckiest suck that ever sucked." So thank you for that, at least.

The argument isn't whether OU is recognized as one of the "all-time great program[s]" historically. It is. The argument is whether or not OU is a vastly superior JOB than other schools. It is... when it's run by Wilkinson, Switzer, Stoops. It's not when run run into the ground by other entities. And yes, you can say that about any program.

Take Oregon under Chip Kelly. Would you say that it, right now, is a very good place to be a defensive coordinator? Consider the exposure they are getting, the money rolling in from Nike, their commitment in general to the program. It's not a better job than OU. It's not a vastly "inferior" job either. Right now, it would be considered only a very slight edge to OU... maybe.

Remember, we are talking about a JOB here, and the branding that comes with it. I'll tell you this, I see more Oregon sportswear and car stickers in the Twin Cities than I do OU. And don't get me started on Texas, bleeping Colorado, Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, etc. Up here OU is an afterthought. Sure, we're BigTenlevenwelve country. But if we're all so important as we like to think we are, why don't we have a bigger presence up here? On vacation in South Carolina, I had not one, but two people ask me if the OU shirt I was wearing was "Ohio University". One identified himself as a Georgia Bulldog. And he was knowledgable about the sport... just not outside the SEC. You think the Georgia job is inferior to OU. Bet he doesn't.

This is why great coordinators like... hmmm... MIKE STOOPS.... move up to take "inferior jobs" like Arizona. "No don't do it, Mike, you should hold out for a better school."

Well? Why didn't he?

It's your choice to be as narrow-minded as you want to be... like any fan of any big school program, most of whom think their program is the be-all end-all. I just have a different perspective. It is foolish to think everyone else shares yours. I'm telling you many don't. I think you've got your head stuck in our beloved Oklahoma red dirt if you can't entertain otherwise.

Thank you for this, btw:

he was hired because Oklahoma had terrible leadership at the time

You made my point for me very well.

Regardless of your faulty timeline, by saying that, I hope you realize that what you are saying is that without the right leadership, OU can be just as pedestrian a job as some other whistle-stops rendering moot the notion that it is one of the top jobs in college football. It is now, but it sure as hell wasn't then.

Ultimately all I have been arguing is that we need to guard against being so arrogant as to think we couldn't slip back into mediocrity, or worse, again. Venables is a damn good coach. Losing his recruiting and coaching, and how that would be perceived nationally, would be less than ideal.

stoopified
1/13/2012, 05:54 PM
Brent will be back

oumartin
1/13/2012, 06:10 PM
So, was Brent himself putting his name out there for these DC jobs?

Clever!!!

badger
1/13/2012, 06:11 PM
Stoops was 61 when he was hired? He has aged pretty well.

He is doing a good job of hiding his age. Never would guess that he's in his 50s. Wonder if we'll say the same when he's in his 60s :D

oumartin
1/13/2012, 06:13 PM
if you look at bob now to when he was hired you would think he's at least 50.

cvsooner
1/13/2012, 08:14 PM
Stoops was 61 when he was hired? He has aged pretty well. I think he meant Schmelly.

toast
1/13/2012, 09:35 PM
Only Howie was pre-Blake not post, which was the point I was making.