PDA

View Full Version : Can I vote for a Moron -- An Op-Ed

Ike
1/11/2012, 02:41 PM
Yes. In fact, if you have ever voted at all in your life, chances are you already have.

badger
1/11/2012, 03:40 PM
Why you have to be a moron to run for public office
An Op-Ed by badger

There is no question that in the current state of politics, you have to be a moron to run for any level of government in any branch.

President? Moron. Governor? Moron. City council? Moron. Community board on managing the trash pickup and recycling program for the city of Tulsa? Moron.

You are a moron for the following reasons:

1- It is a thankless job in the public eye. Everything you do, whether you are on the clock or not, is open to public scrutiny. You will always have detractors, even when you are doing the right thing, because even the right thing is wrong in to some/many.

2- It costs tons of money. Your public official salary will not be enough to transport your butt to every meeting, committee meeting, PR ribbon cutting or mandatory obligatory appearance. Thus, you will be relying on special interests, donors, groups, businesses, etc. for money. Then, you will be beholden to these groups. Then, you will be labeled a sellout, because you are. Sellout!

3- You don't have as much power as you think you do. Sure, it's a cool thing to put "U.S. Senator" on your resume, but really, you are going to miss half the session votes, be required to vote a certain way as per your special interests requests and to get re-elected and just spend most of your time wondering when the last time you ate or slept were. It was last week, by the way. Also, all of "your" votes are subject to open records, so no more secret balloting like they did for elementary school class president. Your vote will break you, because you didn't obey every last Jimmy and Joe that gave you money and/or their vote last election. And thus, you are gonna get the boot.

4- It takes way too much time. Even the obligatory vacation time is usually cut short, or you're being pestered about business back home in your district/county/state/county/world. And your vacation time will be scrutinized, because there's always something more important to the public that you should have been attending to instead of your health. And you forgot to eat and sleep last week so now you're just running on fumes and the local media has captured a very unappealing photo/video of you in zombie form. They will use this as file art and a recurring video clip for the next two months. Your mouth is agape and your eyes wider than normal and your hand gesture looks like you're giving sign language for "a$$hole." You are now being called "the a$$hole" by bloggers and message boards. A$$hole! Sellout!

In conclusion, vote for public office, but never run for public office. At least then, your vote stays private and you get to wear a sticker that people will admire for one day. Yes, just one day. The cheapo sticky crap doesn't last past one wearing.

KantoSooner
1/11/2012, 04:53 PM
Yeah, but you get the chicks. Dewey told me so.

badger
1/11/2012, 05:13 PM
Yeah, but you get the chicks. Dewey told me so.

Maybe, but I'm not interested in the chicks. You voters always elect unattractive guys. What am I supposed to do here, date grandpa? Ewwwww!

yermom
1/11/2012, 06:59 PM
Kucinich gets the hot chicks

SicEmBaylor
1/11/2012, 07:11 PM
I have, in fact, voted for a lot of morons in my day.

George W. Bush
Rick Perry
Inhofe
A few lower ticket bozos I'm ashamed of...
Myself.

Always_Sooner
1/11/2012, 07:26 PM
At least Coburn was not one of them.

Chuck Bao
1/12/2012, 04:30 AM
Closeted republicans are the funniest of the the moron politicians. At least we get some pretty sorbid stories out of them. Red state, red handed, red face, red..., red, red, red. That's always good entertainment value, so I vote for more of those.