PDA

View Full Version : Question on LSU

KantoSooner
1/11/2012, 02:21 PM
Sorry to be late joining the scrum, but visissitudes of the computer delayed me. (translation, the dayum thing daihd on me and I've been doing mouth-to-mouth on it for two days.)

Specific question: has anyone on this board seen an option run worse than what LSU showed on Monday night?

To paraphrase Dean Wormer in Animal House, "Son, slow, indecisive and pitching WAAAAAAAAY behind the line of scrimmage, without a viable fullback threat, is no way to run the option."

stoops the eternal pimp
1/11/2012, 02:30 PM
I didn't understand why they kept running wide...The difference from what alabama did in the 1st game and 2nd game was spread their LBs out a bit more for containment and LSU never caught hold of that...Jefferson had room to scramble up the middle and just choked.

SoonerNomad
1/11/2012, 03:10 PM
It wasn't exactly Jamele Holieway, Thomas Lott, JC Watts, Jack Mildren, Tommy Frazier or Darian Hagan on the corner, was it?

KantoSooner
1/11/2012, 04:49 PM
No, it was not.

It might not have made a difference, Bama's pursuit down the line and run support was pretty to behold. But I still would have liked to see at least a competent attempt to run the option.

But, that starts with a credible FB threat and LSU clearly didn't have one o' them.

VA Sooner
1/11/2012, 06:23 PM
Sad way of running the option... and it got worse as the night went on... like they gave up on the game halfway through the third quarter.

Although hard to tell... white flag seemed to go up in the first quarter.

BoulderSooner79
1/11/2012, 08:20 PM
It was clear Bama spent a lot of time on defending the option and appeared to have all the options covered on most plays. To me, that means something has to be open in the passing game -- go watch what the Ducks do when teams overcommit to the run. I don't remember 1 touch by their big receiver (Randall?). No matter how good Bama's defense is, there is no way LSU should ever be shutout with the athletes they have on offense. They got out coached.

Tidefan36854
1/11/2012, 08:32 PM
LSU caught us off a little bit the first time because Jarrett Lee had been the QB all year up until that point, and when he fell apart in the 1st game they brought in Jefferson and ran the option against is without us preparing for it.Even though they only had a little over 200 yards against us the first time, they converted a few times for 1st downs that got them in FG range. We had 3 DL out against Ga Southern and looked bad against their option attack in the first half, and I guess they hung their hat on being able to run it against our defense. It was a big mistake on their part.