PDA

View Full Version : So now the BCS is open to change, like a 4-team playoff?

Jacie
1/10/2012, 05:40 PM
Please, please, please, please, please don't take the money bag away from us! You want a playoff? We can provide you with one of those. How many teams? Two? Four? More? Anything, just don't take away the money bag! Please!

Commissioners open to making big BCS changes

By RALPH D. RUSSO, AP College Football Writer 1 hour, 2 minutes ago

NEW ORLEANS (AP)—BCS officials are open to making big changes to college football’s postseason format, including implementing a four-team playoff.

The commissioners from the 11 FBS conferences met Tuesday to exchange ideas about what the system for crowning a national champion will be starting in the 2014 season. BCS Executive Director Bill Hancock says 50 to 60 possibilities for various changes were presented.

Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott says ideas were not “ranked” or “eliminated.”

Hancock says the process will be deliberate, and he expects it will take between five and seven meetings before July 4 to come to a decision.

A new BCS format must be in place before the fall when television negotiations with ESPN open.

badger
1/10/2012, 05:57 PM
As big as the S-E-C! S-E-C! is in college football, the rest of college football is still collectively bigger than the one tossing its weight around lately in the BCS.

In other words, the Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 12, ACC, Big East, Notre Dame (and maybe the midget majors too) are finished with this crap if it omits them entirely from the championship discussion.

If the SEC wants to declare the champion, declare it in your own conference, not the entire country.

Breadburner
1/10/2012, 06:39 PM
A plus one game would have been enough this year....But a larger format will sure stop all the ****ing whining......

Sabanball
1/10/2012, 06:54 PM
As big as the S-E-C! S-E-C! is in college football, the rest of college football is still collectively bigger than the one tossing its weight around lately in the BCS.

In other words, the Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 12, ACC, Big East, Notre Dame (and maybe the midget majors too) are finished with this crap if it omits them entirely from the championship discussion.

If the SEC wants to declare the champion, declare it in your own conference, not the entire country.

YOU GUYS(The Big 12) are the ones that wanted to keep the current system, which put two SEC teams in the championship game--it was no conspiracy by the SEC. The SEC proposed a +1 system back in '08 and it was turned down--BY the Big 12.

Breadburner
1/10/2012, 06:59 PM
I firmly believe the two best teams played for the NC last night......

sooneredaco
1/10/2012, 07:06 PM
I firmly believe the two best teams played for the NC last night......

I firmly believe that is as subjective as an opinion can possibly be

Sco
1/10/2012, 07:31 PM
YOU GUYS(The Big 12) are the ones that wanted to keep the current system, which put two SEC teams in the championship game--it was no conspiracy by the SEC. The SEC proposed a +1 system back in '08 and it was turned down--BY the Big 12.

This is true. Doesn't mean they can't change their minds.

Scott D
1/10/2012, 07:55 PM

don't be naive. Jim Delany is the one who holds all the power in this little playoff struggle. I don't see why pro-playoff fans think they'll get a guy who refuses to schedule regular season games AFTER Thanksgiving to relent one little iota.

SCSoonerfan
1/10/2012, 07:58 PM
Being a fan of a Big 12 team does not equal agreeing with what the powers that be wanted in 2008 or any other year.

ashley
1/10/2012, 08:50 PM
Remember, all the BCS conferences must to agree.

Caboose
1/10/2012, 09:07 PM
I firmly believe that is as subjective as an opinion can possibly be

I firmly believe that there is nothing particularly wrong with subjectivity in this matter.

SoonerPride
1/10/2012, 09:22 PM
A plus one game would have been enough this year....But a larger format will sure stop all the ****ing whining......

How much money you willing to wager on that?

I've got a house I'm ready to second mortgage to clean you out.

If you think there won't be whining you have lost your mind.

A 4 or 8 or 16 team format won't lessen the whining. It might change what is whined about, but make no mistake, the whining will continue.

PLaw
1/11/2012, 08:52 AM
Heck no.

I still want the 119 or so teams divided into ten conferences. Take the conference champs plus six at-large bids and let's have a playoff.

BOOMER

GreenSooner
1/11/2012, 09:12 AM

AFAIK none of the Big XII leadership, past or present, posts on this board. And we certainly didn't have a say in choosing them or advising them on how to vote in internal BCS matters.

The Big XII was terribly dumb to have been against a playoff then. And most of the folks around here who say so today would have said so then, too.

(And unlike fans of teams in certain other conferences, most of us also understand that we aren't our conference.)

badger
1/11/2012, 09:26 AM
AFAIK none of the Big XII leadership, past or present, posts on this board. And we certainly didn't have a say in choosing them or advising them on how to vote in internal BCS matters.

The Big XII was terribly dumb to have been against a playoff then. And most of the folks around here who say so today would have said so then, too.

(And unlike fans of teams in certain other conferences, most of us also understand that we aren't our conference.)

Like others have said already, doesn't matter what the stance was in 2008. Here's another reason or two why it doesn't matter: We just fired our conference commissioner, Dan Beebe. So, our leadership has changed. Our conference football-wise has changed, also, in way people probably couldn't have predicted back in 2008 --- four of our teams have left, we are about to add two new teams, and some of the top coaches then were canned by stupid administrators for stupid reasons (referring of course to Mark Mangino formerly of KU and Mike Leach formerly of Texas Tech).

rekamrettuB
1/11/2012, 10:33 AM
Remember, all the BCS conferences must to agree.

This was the only reason I stopped by this thread.

Curly Bill
1/11/2012, 10:44 AM
How much money you willing to wager on that?

I've got a house I'm ready to second mortgage to clean you out.

If you think there won't be whining you have lost your mind.

A 4 or 8 or 16 team format won't lessen the whining. It might change what is whined about, but make no mistake, the whining will continue.

Bingo!

SoonerAtKU
1/11/2012, 11:00 AM
...between five and seven meetings ...

Hancock with a shot at the 2010 Longhorns. I like his style.

PrideMom
1/11/2012, 11:05 AM
The NCAA have a 64 team, no wait, now it is 65 team for the Basketball playoffs tournament, and there is still whining who got in and which school didn't. Why do you think it would be different for football? When the teams only play 12 games, 13 if a conference championship game is played, that IS the playoff!! Do not water down the football season, by making it unimportant if the team loses, they will get another chance!

The football season is the MOST exciting time, and if you ask for a play off, it will NOT be as interesting, because people will just wait for the playoffs......

Curly Bill
1/11/2012, 11:09 AM
The NCAA have a 64 team, no wait, now it is 65 team for the Basketball playoffs tournament, and there is still whining who got in and which school didn't. Why do you think it would be different for football? When the teams only play 12 games, 13 if a conference championship game is played, that IS the playoff!! Do not water down the football season, by making it unimportant if the team loses, they will get another chance!

The football season is the MOST exciting time, and if you ask for a play off, it will NOT be as interesting, because people will just wait for the playoffs......

Another BINGO!

Oldnslo
1/11/2012, 11:17 AM
The "wait for the playoffs" deal in basketball is because the field is so big. If there's only 12 or 16 teams, it's hard to KNOW that you'll be in at #15. You can argue all you want about being "the best 2 loss team," but I'd rather that than argue about who the #1 team is.

agoo758
1/11/2012, 11:30 AM

Thank you!

TMcGee86
1/11/2012, 11:50 AM
The NCAA have a 64 team, no wait, now it is 65 team for the Basketball playoffs tournament, and there is still whining who got in and which school didn't.

True, but you never hear those teams claim they are the true champion after the playoffs.

Curly Bill
1/11/2012, 12:04 PM
True, but you never hear those teams claim they are the true champion after the playoffs.

But often as not the team that wins the tournament isn't really the best team, they just happened to get hot at the right time. So...playoffs aren't exactly great for choosing the best team either, and actually I'd argue the way football does it is actually better at that.

Breadburner
1/11/2012, 12:08 PM
It would stop alot of the whining we have to hear about......

Curly Bill
1/11/2012, 12:09 PM
It would stop alot of the whining we have to hear about......

Wager on that?

The only whining it would stop is from those peeps that feel their life is somehow lacking because we don't have a football playoff.

badger
1/11/2012, 12:25 PM
Not to be devil's advocate, but there are now 68 teams invited to the NCAA mens basketball tournament. :)

Linky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament )

Curly Bill
1/11/2012, 12:33 PM
Not to be devil's advocate, but there are now 68 teams invited to the NCAA mens basketball tournament. :)

Linky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NCAA_Men's_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament)

...and soon there'll be 72, then 76 or 80, then 100. Football would end up the same way.

badger
1/11/2012, 12:44 PM
...and soon there'll be 72, then 76 or 80, then 100. Football would end up the same way.

Pretty much, I am reminded of an old politics quote:

Many forms of Government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.

So, like government, there will never be a final form of postseason play in any college sport, but rather, learn from past problems and continue to improve the system to be the most fair.

They used to name national champions before the bowl games.

They used to just vote on a champion, rather than have a championship game.

Hopefully now, we will also add "They used to vote on who would play in the championship game, rather than have teams play to earn a spot in the game."

rekamrettuB
1/11/2012, 03:40 PM

Yep...too much money involved not to. BBall tourney started at 8 teams and expanded to 16 in 1950. Between 1974 and 1985 there were 7 expansions to 64 teams.

LSUdeek
1/11/2012, 03:44 PM
Plus one wouldn't have been enough .. Problems with Plus 1 this year are as follows:

1) Stanford was ranked #4 in the BCS but lost to Oregon and Oregon won the conference. -- Room to whine there.

2) LSU beats Stanford soundly due to a lack of ability to stop the run, Alabama rolls oSu, we have the exact same result on the field.

Jacie
1/11/2012, 05:13 PM
The only whining about not making the field of 68 comes from fans of the school ranked 69th, hardly a broad spectrum of the college basketball world. The same cannot be said about the debate over which 1-loss team should have been chosen to play LSU. Yeah, there is are polls and an algorithm but it still comes down to a beauty contest run by ESPN.

Now that the BCS championship has been exposed as little more than a stage for the SEC to preen for the rest of the great unwashed, the backroom boys are falling all over themselves saying they are willing to stage a playoff. Once more, the colleges are going to allow their fate (and money that rightfully should be going to them since they provide the product) to be controlled by a handful of men whose only interest is in lining their own pockets. Bend over, here it comes.

Jacie
1/11/2012, 05:17 PM
Yep...too much money involved not to. BBall tourney started at 8 teams and expanded to 16 in 1950. Between 1974 and 1985 there were 7 expansions to 64 teams.

And from 1985 to 2001 there was 1 expansion to 65 teams. From 2001 to 2010 there was 1 expansion to 68 teams.

I think they may be done for a bit now.

rekamrettuB
1/11/2012, 05:23 PM
The only whining about not making the field of 68 comes from fans of the school ranked 69th, hardly a broad spectrum of the college basketball world. The same cannot be said about the debate over which 1-loss team should have been chosen to play LSU. Yeah, there is are polls and an algorithm but it still comes down to a beauty contest run by ESPN.

Well the main problem is it isn't the top 68 teams in the tourney. It's a bunch of rinky dink teams in it seeded 15-16a/b. It's the equivalent of a 16 team playoff with all conference champions qualify. This year Northern Illy, LaTech and Arky State would have qualified while teams like Arkansas, Boise, Oregon, USC (ignore the ban), KState, Michigan, Michigan State, South Carolina, Va Tech, Georgia, etc would have stayed home. How you determined it would be debated but if there was a playoff in college football I would like to see it be the top x number of teams regardless of conference championships.

rekamrettuB
1/11/2012, 05:24 PM
And from 1985 to 2001 there was 1 expansion to 65 teams. From 2001 to 2010 there was 1 expansion to 68 teams.

I think they may be done for a bit now.

For now but what I'm saying is the football tourney would go the same way. Where would it stop? 16? 32? It's a slippery slope.

TUSooner
1/11/2012, 05:24 PM

Which might explain why Beebe is no longer the Big < XII commish.

TUSooner
1/11/2012, 05:43 PM
As usual, I am of 2 minds on this. On the one hand, the old subjective selection of the mythical national champ by polls only was at least honestly subjective. In many years, colorable arguments could be made for more than one team. On the other hand, a playoff would determine a "champion" in a more objective way. What I do NOT like is this current 2-team playoff system that often (not always) produces a subjective champ under the guise of an objective champ. Increasing the field to 4 teams lessens the likelihood of significant error in assessing who the best teams are for a playoff. It's still subjective, but less so than the present system.

To digress: What's the point of saying that the "best" team doesn't always win a tournament? If you really believe that, then you should certainly to go back to the polls-only days. If you think tournaments are unreliable indicators of best-ness, the only way to determine the best team is to do it like the European soccer leagues do it, and how baseball used to do it: Whoever wins the most in a season-long, league-wide, round robin is the best. But that it clearly impractical with college foootball.

cccasooner2
1/11/2012, 06:10 PM
But often as not the team that wins the tournament isn't really the best team, they just happened to get hot at the right time. So...playoffs aren't exactly great for choosing the best team either, and actually I'd argue the way football does it is actually better at that.

Ok, then let's make it a repechage format before the final 2 teams face off in a best of 7. Any injury to a player must be healed to the satisfaction of the team of the injured before the next game can be played. No academic ineligibilities can be declared once the season begins. A format like this would remove a small percentage of the woulda/coulda bitchers but extend each championship season to be finalized years after it began, kind of like the correspondence chess championships.

StoopTroup
1/11/2012, 06:34 PM
What's funny is....the BCS cut this deal they have with The Rose, Orange, Fiesta and Sugar Bowl Committees to get the deal they have now.

If any of you seriously think they aren't gonna have a whole lot to say about changing things to a Playoff....you have rocks in your head. Those 4 are going to want to be involved in whatever system there is and they will expect to make as much if not more money from whatever is decided on. Then you have the other Strong Bowls who if the new system didn't involve them or if it took away their Conference deals....they will also have a say and be looking for something that brings them the same money or more.

We all would love to see a system that would come a bit closer to picking a more realistic and maybe even deserving winner every year but really....even if you think some other schools should have at least had a chance to play for all the marbles....there is no way that the BCS Formula really didn't work. The undefeated Team played a Team capable of beating them and it happened. That's College Football. You can be hot 12 games in a row....and then when all the big lights and cameras are rolling and it's for the Crystal Ball and bragging rights and a buttload of money.....you end up empty handed and watching a Team you beat earlier in the year walk away with the prize that everyone else thought you would take home easily.

Alabama is going to remain the 2011-2012 Season National Champions not matter what happens from here on out as far as the BCS and all these Bowls and Conferences are concerned.

All the rest of this will probably end up in the NCAA Suggestion Box that is every Blog, Website and Message Board on the internet.

ouwasp
1/11/2012, 07:39 PM
Bring on a playoff, can't believe so many want to hang onto the stone age. If the "bowl system" was all that great the pros would have them, as would high schools. Good grief.

A teenage memory that has stuck with me for 30+ yrs: OU finishing #3 in '78, '79, and '80. I just knew if there was any kind of playoff OU could have won a few more NCs.

I still won't belive it till I see it; for some weird reason the college presidents have been opposed to it, while at the same time giving their blessings to perpetually expanding the bball tourney... frustrating...

SoonerPride
1/11/2012, 08:25 PM
Bring on a playoff, can't believe so many want to hang onto the stone age. If the "bowl system" was all that great the pros would have them, as would high schools. Good grief....

If the pros had the chance to make hundreds of millions of dollars playing bowl games, they would.

It's capitalism that drives them, not any sense of "seeking a true champion."

If someone offered the league $100 BILLION dollars to play the post season games nude and covered in honey, they'd do it.

They make as much money as they can any way they can.

Period.

GreenSooner
1/11/2012, 08:41 PM
If the pros had the chance to make hundreds of millions of dollars playing bowl games, they would.

It's capitalism that drives them, not any sense of "seeking a true champion."

If someone offered the league $100 BILLION dollars to play the post season games nude and covered in honey, they'd do it.

They make as much money as they can any way they can.

Period.

Yes...but the trick here is "they." The "they" who are making money off the BCS isnt college football as a whole, but a handful of teams and conferences, plus some bowl committees (who'd be the real losers if football went to a playoff).

Far more money would be made overall if there were a playoff.

But college football isn't a free market. Instead, it's controlled by a cartel. And that cartel would stand to lose, at least in the short run, with a playoff, even if there were more money being made overall.

(Now, to be fair, the NCAA is itself just a much larger cartel. So long as college athletes aren't being paid, capitalism and the feee market have little to do with any college sports.)