PDA

View Full Version : Virus/Malware Question

MsProudSooner
1/10/2012, 10:11 AM
I've picked up some kind of virus on my work computer. The anti-virus program my company uses (McAffee) hasn't been able to get rid of it. The symptoms are that when I open a webpage, the virus either opens a second website that is somewhat related to the website I went to or a 'Survey' websete pops up that claims to be a Survey about the website I clicked on.

Our 'Un-helpful' desks only advice if McAffee can't fix it is to re-image the computer. I have no intention of doing that unless I absolutely have to. I tried downloading Microsoft Essentials and Malwarebytes, but neither one solved the problem.

Any ideas?

Tulsa_Fireman
1/10/2012, 10:15 AM
Reimage the computer.

Not to sound like a jackass, but if the usual suite of virus software won't get it and you're not familiar enough with the problem and the methods of removing it beyond the usual virus suites, save yourself the trouble. You can tear up more than you'd fix.

Mississippi Sooner
1/10/2012, 10:20 AM
Yep. I was going to recommend Hijack This, but if you don't fully understand what you are looking at, you can delete stuff that you don't want to delete.

dwarthog
1/10/2012, 10:25 AM
If you want to be 100% sure you have gotten rid of the virus, use this utility, DBAN.

Be sure to read up on it. If you ever want to see anything on your hard file again, don't use this. Also be prepared for this to run for hours, depending on the size of your hard file.

MsProudSooner
1/10/2012, 10:43 AM
I'l probably just wait to see if it gets worse. I understand what you are saying, but re-imageing this computer is also a huge pain in the posterior. I'm due to get a new work laptop later this year. It just isn't worth the hassle to re-image this one and then get a new one in a few months. The irony is this is an IT company. Hopefully, we give our customers better options than this. I go to the same websites on my personal laptop as I go to on my work laptop and it has no problems.

sooner_born_1960
1/10/2012, 10:53 AM
Another odd thing is that you are even given an option. I'm surprised you're even allowed on the work network after reporting that your computer is infected.

Breadburner
1/10/2012, 10:54 AM
Download Malware Bytes.......

achiro
1/10/2012, 11:17 AM
If you want to be 100% sure you have gotten rid of the virus, use this utility, DBAN.

Be sure to read up on it. If you ever want to see anything on your hard file again, don't use this. Also be prepared for this to run for hours, depending on the size of your hard file.
DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!
I don't know if he was trying to be funny or what but you don't want to clear your entire hard drive.
You said you already downloaded maleware bytes? Inwould also suggest getting spybot search and destroy. Then Make sure you run malware bytes and SB with your computer in safe mode and off the network. Off the network is very important. Then run it again in normal mode to make sure you have cleared it up. If not, go back to safe mode and do it again.
If that doesn't help then I don't know what to tell you.

3rdgensooner
1/10/2012, 11:25 AM
Have you tried to run the anti-virus/malware programs in safe mode?

49r
1/10/2012, 11:55 AM
If you're using Internet Explorer, check to see if the malware has set up a web proxy. Go to Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings. In there, if the box next to "Use a proxy server..." is checked. Uncheck it.

It could also be a jacked up hosts file, but I think Malwarebytes catches those.

Otherwise, I got nothin'.

MsProudSooner
1/10/2012, 12:05 PM
Another odd thing is that you are even given an option. I'm surprised you're even allowed on the work network after reporting that your computer is infected.

I didn't report it. I searched their database for issues similar to mine. That group has a really bad reputation within the company for totally messing up people's PCs so you don't actually contact them unless you have no other alternative.

dwarthog
1/10/2012, 12:08 PM
DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!
I don't know if he was trying to be funny or what but you don't want to clear your entire hard drive.
You said you already downloaded maleware bytes? Inwould also suggest getting spybot search and destroy. Then Make sure you run malware bytes and SB with your computer in safe mode and off the network. Off the network is very important. Then run it again in normal mode to make sure you have cleared it up. If not, go back to safe mode and do it again.
If that doesn't help then I don't know what to tell you.

Not trying to be funny.

If you can't reload your system and get a virus removed, then you have no options, outside of replacing the hardfile.

As you said, "If that doesn't help then I don't what to tell you".

The answer is to wipe the drive.

MsProudSooner
1/10/2012, 12:10 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. As I said, right now it's only mildly annoying. If it gets worse, I may have to reimage.

yermom
1/10/2012, 12:28 PM
Stop using IE?

OUDoc
1/10/2012, 01:09 PM
The Hijack This forum can be incredibly helpful but it will take time. They've helped me before.

sooner_born_1960
1/10/2012, 01:14 PM
How dare you take your problems to other forums.

SoonerTerry
1/10/2012, 01:50 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. As I said, right now it's only mildly annoying. If it gets worse, I may have to reimage.

Whatever you decide to do I would NOT ignore it, because you really don't know what its doing in the background. Usually a GIS of the symptoms will point you in the right direction.

Malware bytes has been successfull for some of the people I know.

SoonerTerry
1/10/2012, 01:52 PM

^this

Cheerin' 4 OU
1/10/2012, 02:03 PM
If you want it fixed but need to do it *immediately*, the best bet really is to just format the crap outta your computer. It's really the only guarantee that the virus/malware will be taken care of.

If you have the time and patience to wait a few days, go to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ and post in there. They've walked me through 3 nasty computer infections in the last, oh, 5 years or so, and they're very friendly.

OUDoc
1/10/2012, 03:02 PM
How dare you take your problems to other forums.
I was young and I needed the money.